Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

BOEING747400
Topic Author

Anybody Ever Met Any Rich & Famous People Aboard?

Mon Aug 11, 2003 1:42 am

I'd like to know if anyone has ever run into any rich & famous people (Bill Gates, David Beckham, Tiger Woods, Oprah Winfrey, J. Lo, etc.) on any commercial airlines' aircraft. I've only heard that most of them use their own private aircraft but suspected that maybe a few might fly with the public? Can anybody please name any names, airline, aircraft registration & type, route flown, etc.? Thanks for any information regarding this.

DoorsToManual

RE: Anybody Ever Met Any Rich & Famous People Aboard?

Mon Aug 11, 2003 1:48 am

I think only Jeff Bridges, on a BA flight from LAX last year...he was upstairs in Club class apparently. I would have loved to have met "The Dude"

Perhaps they were serving him a white russian?  Big grin

p.s. if you haven't seen "The Big Lebowski", you haven't lived........

NBC News1

Mon Aug 11, 2003 2:17 am

I sat in front of NBC's Today show weatherman, Al Roker, on a flight from Vancouver-JFK in 2000.

AA727

Mon Aug 11, 2003 2:19 am

My dad flew next to prince(in coach) on TWA back in 1999.

vikkyvik

Mon Aug 11, 2003 2:25 am

My dad was on a plane with the Boston Celtics back when they flew on commercial planes. This was back in the 80s, so he got autographs from Larry Bird, Kevin McHale, etc etc.
I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".

bmiEMA19

Mon Aug 11, 2003 2:32 am

I once met Carol Smillie (a UK TV presenter) on a flight (economy) from Heathrow to Glasgow on a bmi A320 back in January!

Capt.Fantastic

Mon Aug 11, 2003 2:43 am

Don Imachee was on an American flight from ORD to ZRH back in 1990. We met him in the boarding lounge ... He was nice, shook hands, signed autographs etc. ...

Jaspike

Mon Aug 11, 2003 2:48 am

I met someone of the ITV programme 'Airline' in LTN Laugh out loud Not exactly rich and famous Laugh out loud

Josh

Sabena332

Mon Aug 11, 2003 2:49 am

In July 2001 I met Patricia Richardson (the actress who is Tim Taylor`s wife in Home Improvement) and her sons on an AF flight from LAX to CDG, of course they flew in First Class.

Patrick
NZ1's mother is a disgusting crack-whore and his father is a worthless alcoholic!

jhooper

Mon Aug 11, 2003 2:53 am

Mickey Mantle
7/21/90
DL843 LGA-DFW
First Class

He was in seat 2B, and I was in seat 2C. He gave me his boarding pass and signed it along with a Yankees pennet and a large baseball card that he gave to people he met.
Last year 1,944 New Yorkers saw something and said something.

MIA777

Mon Aug 11, 2003 2:57 am

I might have told this once before and it did not happen to me but it is still really cool. I love Dave Matthews and one girl told a story that she flew SEA-SFO on AS and sat near Dave...the coolest part was the next day she saw him again in a Starbucks in San Fransisco....
MIA777

dispatch

Mon Aug 11, 2003 3:02 am

I was on flights with Ruud ter Weijden and Tom Coronel.
Also with Dik Advocaat.

You have to know about Dutch celebrities to understand those  Big thumbs up

Peter

mandala499

Mon Aug 11, 2003 3:12 am

I met B.J. Habibie on a LH flight in the 80s. He was the Indonesian Minister for Research & Technology and later president of this God forsaken country.

Nice chap, he was walking through the economy section seeing his staff... I had a bit of a chat with him about planes Big grin

Mandala499
When losing situational awareness, pray Cumulus Granitus isn't nearby !

filejw

Mon Aug 11, 2003 3:14 am

Had KID ROCK and band in the back a couple of weeks ago LAX DTW red eye.

TheGov

Mon Aug 11, 2003 5:14 am

When I worked the gates at DFW for DL, I worked flights that included Hillary Clinton(before she was 1st lady), Gary Hart(long after the Donna Rice affair), B. B. King, Willie Nelson and Michael Keaton. I had to tell Ms. Clinton to get off the phone so we could leave. Michael Keaton's flight to LAX ended up being cancelled after he got on board due to a lightning strike on the inbound leg. Some of the people that went through DFW on DL when I was working that I did not get to see included Jimmy Carter and Christie Brinkley. All in all, just a normal pax to me.
Always a pallbearer, never a corpse.

b744

Mon Aug 11, 2003 5:19 am

I met Alan Alda on a China Southern flight from Hong Kong to Guangzhou back in about 1995. We were both travelling Y class because that is all there was! Really nice guy.

MAS777

Mon Aug 11, 2003 5:23 am

Met many Malaysian MPs on BA's flights out of Kuala Lumpur when BA flew out of KL - very topical at the time for local Malaysian politics as MPs then had to fly MAS when on official business - so it was interesting to see them flying BA when on holiday!

I have also been on the same flights as...

1. The 1983 Brazillian football team flying KUL-HKG in Dec 1983 on MH10 (DC10-30). I even got a souvenir 'Wings of Gold' magazine signed by each player.

2. Morten Harket (of A-Ha fame) on a KUL-LHR flight - BA34 in 2000 or possibly 1999.

3. Sat next to Sir Norman Foster on an LHR-CPH flight (BA)

4. Trey Parker (MTV Europe/BBC VJ) and Katie Hill (ex-Blue Peter presenter) on a JAL flight to NRT Dec 2002 - but they were in Economy!

5. Natalie Imbruglia on a LHR-KUL flight with BA when BA33 flew onwards to SYD - where she was bound I expect.

6. I also flew on the same flight from SYD-BNE with the guy who played 'Tug' on Home and Away - can't remember his name.

7. A few others but can't remember them now... tend not to be star-struck with celebrities...

jgiardin

Mon Aug 11, 2003 5:43 am

I sat one row behind Bruce Smith (Buffalo Bills, now Washington Redskins) way back in the early nineties. The flight was USAir from Buffalo to Baltimore...I was continuing on to West Palm Beach to see my grandparents. As a die hard Bills fan (this was the blown superbowl years), it was quite the thrill for me. He was very nice and I got an autograph from him. He's HUGE...I think he could have squashed me like a bug.

Airdolomiti

Mon Aug 11, 2003 6:05 am

On my LHR-JFK Concorde flight a few weeks ago I saw Doris Day (seated in row 11 I think, the seats I had requested when I booked...darn! ), then on the way back home, on the LGW-VCE leg I saw the lead singer of Simply Red, Mick Hucknall board my plane (I was sitting a row behind him, in Club).

Then when I flew to Iceland via Amsterdam a couple of weeks later, I am almost sure I saw the singer Skin (of the former Skunk Anansie) sitting Business Class on the VCE-AMS, if it wasn't her it was someone with a really uncanny resemblance to her Big grin

Quite weird that I saw 3 celebrities (or 2 if the last one was just me seeing things) within 2 weeks...

captaingomes

Mon Aug 11, 2003 6:07 am

I was on a flight with Lionel Richie, it was a BA connector flight from Belfast to Manchester, in a BAe ATP.

I also worked a flight with the Canadian group Sugar Jones, but they are not well known outside the country.

There was another flight at the airline I worked for in which Nelly Furtado was on the flight. I didn't work this flight, but there was some trouble. Before boarding, while the crew was preparing the aircraft for departure, her manager came down the jetway and casually said "hi, I'm here to hijack the aircraft" at which point the crew, who was not in the mood for the joke, called security and he was taken away.  Smile

"it's kind of like an Airbus, it's an engineering marvel, but there's no sense of passion" -- J. Clarkson re: Coxster

PilotHighFlyer

Mon Aug 11, 2003 6:25 am

My home airport of Waterbury Oxford (OXC) is home to many private jets belong to extremely rich and famous people. My flight instructor got to see Cindy Crawford when her Gulfstream 4 landed. She was apparently very nice as she spent 5 minutes talking to him while he drooled
A few weeks ago Donald Rumsfeld (United States Secretary of Defense) paid a visit coming in on an unmarked Air force Gulfstream Aerospace C-37A Gulfstream V (G-1159D)(90402).

Robert

cptkrell

Mon Aug 11, 2003 7:14 am

Well, most memorable were Eddie Rickenbacker and Paul Tibbets, but that was up in the front office (for fun, not work). "Personality"-wise in the back of the bus were Arthur Godfrey (FAA had hiccupped his license after the DC3 stunt), and actors Robert Mitchum and John Wayne. My Dad's friend, Jackie Gleason, "toured" the cockpit and cabin of Cp'n Eddie's first new Super Connie w/ us @ MIA, but as you all probably know, would never fly (he leased coaches on Atlantic Coast Line (Seaboard Airline RR?) and Santa Fe for his cross-countries). Liberace's brother, George, was a seatmate on a short stint out of Vegas w/ me and was a delightful, gracious gentleman, as also was Edward G. Robinson, two flights by coincidence in and out of LAX. Got a helicopter flight w/ Sammy Davis, Jr., too, but that was in the US Army.

More recently, comedian George Carlin had the entire cabin in stitches from GRR to ORD, and actor Leslie Nielson tried to deal my buddies' wife on a LAX-DTW flight. Neat, fun, and educational memories...Jack
all best; jack

[email protected]

Mon Aug 11, 2003 7:29 am

Probably not rich and not exactly famous, but I sat on the opposite row to Eric Noles, from the Antiques Roadshow, whilst flying LHR-MAN. :p

[Edited 2003-08-11 00:31:33]
"Everyone writing for the Telegraph knows that the way to grab eyeballs is with Ryanair and/or sex."

AZ747

Mon Aug 11, 2003 7:31 am

I met Jackie Chan and many of his entourage on a VS LAX-LHR flight in March 2002 in Upper Class...very cool guy.

luisinho

Mon Aug 11, 2003 7:34 am

hiii

I flew on a flight from FARO (LPFR) to LISBON (LPPT) on PGA portugalia Airlines
on a Fokker 100, and on the seat next to me was RUI VELOSO, a very known portuguese singer. He was very kind to me... offered me a T-shirt, and a postal with is singnature and dedicatory to my girlfriend... very kind and good person... i always loved some of their musics, now i also love his personality, some famous people are arogant and don't talk to strangers... THis was not the case... very nice he was... Short flight... but very nice!

ohh almost forgot... that day instead of the traditional cookies, they served a very delicious ice cream.... with chocolat and nuts... hummm Big grin

The plane in that flight was the CS-TPB. see FOTO:

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Luis Rosa

Capt.Fantastic

Mon Aug 11, 2003 7:39 am

I met O.J. Simpson on an American Airlines red-eye flight from LAX to Chicago in June, 1994. He was very agitated and nervous. He couldn't sign autographs because of a bad cut on his finger. Hmmmmm, wonder what his problem was.

captaink

Mon Aug 11, 2003 8:03 am

I met Law & Order's Jerry Orbach on and American Eagle flight from NAS-MIA.
Look Up

Adam T.

Mon Aug 11, 2003 8:26 am

I have never met anyone famous on a commercial flight, but a lady who used to live in my neighborhood(she has since moved) was working for U.S Airways Express at the time as a Flight Attendant, and on a flight from either Florida or MYR to CLT she had JFK Jr. onboard, said he was a very nice guy.
Adam

cancidas

Mon Aug 11, 2003 8:29 am

not on a plane but i bumped into (literally) natalie portman in NYC.
"...cannot the kingdom of salvation take me home."

IslandHopper

Mon Aug 11, 2003 10:57 am

>met O.J. Simpson on an American Airlines red-eye flight from LAX to Chicago in June, 1994. He was very agitated and nervous. He couldn't sign autographs because of a bad cut on his finger. Hmmmmm, wonder what his problem was.

LOL  Laugh out loud Good one!

MSYtristar

Mon Aug 11, 2003 11:00 am

I met Danny Glover (from the Lethal Weapon movies amongst others) on a Delta 757 from SLC to MSY back in 2000. He was in first, but I chatted with him in the gate area for a couple of minutes. Nice guy.

Steve in New Orleans

petazulu

Mon Aug 11, 2003 11:06 am

Melanie Griffeth and Antonio Banderas were on my red eye flight from Denver to La Guardia this past January. I didn't even notice, but my girlfriend gets very excited by these things.

cancidas

Mon Aug 11, 2003 11:07 am

it's strange to see famous people taking commercial flights these days. you would think they'd charter a bizjet for that.

alvaro

Mon Aug 11, 2003 11:36 am

I met Salma Hayek last month on an AeroMexico flight JFK-MEX. She was seating with her father on first class. Before the flight I got the opportunity to greet her for her movie FRIDA. Upon arrival at MEX she caused quite a commotion.

Alvaro
IG: therealalvarosierra

trickijedi

Mon Aug 11, 2003 11:42 am

not on a plane but i bumped into (literally) natalie portman in NYC.

oooohhh, the queen herself.  Big grin
Its better to be on the ground wishing you were in the air than be in the air wishing you were on the ground. Fly safe!

highliner2

Mon Aug 11, 2003 11:52 am

LOL! I wish a few more queens looked like Natty...
Go Cubs!

cancidas

Mon Aug 11, 2003 11:59 am

well the bumping into her was the easy part. explaining i didn't want to harm her or want anythign from her to her bodyguard was the hard part.  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

Mon Aug 11, 2003 12:02 pm

I've sat in the same cabin as Pamala Anderson on an LAX-DTW flight...

HlywdCatft

Mon Aug 11, 2003 12:05 pm

**I met Salma Hayek last month on an AeroMexico flight JFK-MEX. She was seating with her father on first class. Before the flight I got the opportunity to greet her for her movie FRIDA. Upon arrival at MEX she caused quite a commotion.**

I wish I could have been you. I dream of a day like that spending a 6 hour flight with the Goddess herself.

On a DTW-MCO flight, I had Robert Porsche of the Detroit Lions on the flight

Years ago flying from DTW-TPA on NW, Macho Man Randy Savage, Miss Elizabeth and the wrestler Hercules from the WWF were on my flight.

prosa

Mon Aug 11, 2003 12:21 pm

I met Salma Hayek last month on an AeroMexico flight JFK-MEX. She was seating with her father on first class. Before the flight I got the opportunity to greet her for her movie FRIDA.

Is it true that, as rumored, she is rather vertically challenged, to use a politically correct expression?
"Let me think about it" = the coward's way of saying "no"

FrequentFlier

Mon Aug 11, 2003 12:30 pm

I met Dennis Scott (NBA player) on a flight one time.

apollo13

Mon Aug 11, 2003 1:15 pm

Before he was on last comic standing: I sat a row behing DAT PHAN and played a game of poker with him. WHo knew that he would become an American Idol of stand up

masseybrown

RE: Anybody Ever Met Any Rich & Famous People Aboa

Mon Aug 11, 2003 1:47 pm

Lady Mary Archer and young Jeffrey in tourist on my VS flight LHR-IAD.

StevenUhl777

Mon Aug 11, 2003 1:56 pm

Lou Diamond Phillips (La Bamba, Young Guns series) on a DEN-ABQ flight on United. He was in first, one of the last to board.
And the winner for best actress is....REESE WITHERSPOON for 'Walk the Line'!!!!!!!!

B777FA

Mon Aug 11, 2003 7:12 pm

Let see here are a few Ive met:

Dolph lundgren (from rocky).Very nice guy, was sitting in First class (AA747SP) JFK-LHR
Dr Ruth was on my JFK-LAX flight when I bumped back to fly DOM for the month.She is very short.She talked to us all in the galley for over an hour.On the same flight was David Charvet from Baywatch.
Susan Lucci was on a LGA-DFW flight (DC-10) back in the early 90s. First class with husband and also very nice.
Mike Wallace (60 minutes) was also on a LGA-DFW flight (DC-10).Wasn't very nice .Old grumpy man!
Caroline Kennedy and Family were on my JFK-SJU flight (A300-600R) and they were all sitting in Coach..Very nice people...Always polite and well mannered.
Morgan Fairchilds (actress) was on my JFK-LAX flight (DC-10) with her sister in first class..Very nice lady.
Morgan freeman (actor from the movie Seven) was sitting in First class with his wife on my JFK-LHR flight (B777-200).Extremely nice man.
Not too long ago I had Naomi Campbell (model) on my JFK-GRU flight.She was sitting in First class and was very nice.I was suprised because Ive heard many bad things about her from other F/As and from the Newspapers.
Also on my GRU and GIG flights from JFK Ive had the following Brazilian Stars:
Luciana Gimenez (had the Baby with Mick Jagger and is a TV presenter in Brazil)...
XuXa (childrens TV presenter in Brazil)
Simoni (famous singer )
Lets see who else......Sat next to Patricia Velasquez (model and was in the second MUMMY Movie) on a JFK-LAX flight (DC-10) First class.
Brian Dennehy (actor) and Anne Archer (actress) both in first on the JFK-LAX Transcon
Fred savage(actor) when he was a little boy, traveling with his mum in first class also on JFK-LAX.
Im sure there are more but right now I cant remember!.
Also I've worked with Dolly Partons Niece on a flight once from JFK-LHR.She works for us here at AA and is the spitting image of Dolly and a hoot to fly with.

B777FA

noelg

Mon Aug 11, 2003 7:44 pm

Not exactly onboard an aircraft, but I was flying my qualifying cross country in a 152 and had to land at Cambridge.

While I sat in the GA building a jaguar pulled up in the car park, and Delia Smith and her husband came in. Turned out she was about to board a King Air outside to fly up to Sheffield to see a Norwich City football match!

Very pleasant person to talk to, and she wished me luck for the remainder of my flight before getting on the King Air and jetting off up to Sheffield!!

NoelG

Paulianer

Mon Aug 11, 2003 8:13 pm

I met the following ones..

Jasmin Wagner on LH flight FRA-HAM, two rows behind me in coach.
Mola Adebesi on LH flight JFK-FRA, he was in Business Class
(I think both are only known by german people, they are local "stars")

I also met Jürgen Weber (Lufthansa) while boarding LH flight HAM-FRA, in fact he was kicking my feets  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

And don't forget Michael Jordan on LH flight JFK-FRA, but unfortunately that was only the name of the flight attendant and he had nothing to do with basketball...

Greetings
Tobi
Tobias Rose - Hamburg (HAM/EDDH) & (XFW/EDHI) - Canon EOS D60 - ICQ: 235621277 - MSN: [email protected]

Rick767

Mon Aug 11, 2003 9:00 pm

I took the England Football team from Luton to Helsinki in October 2000 for the World Cup Preliminary match against Finland. It was a no-score draw I recall.

David Beckham was less famous then, should have got an autograph!
I used to love the smell of Jet-A in the morning...

gkirk

Mon Aug 11, 2003 9:06 pm

Seen Jack Charlton at NCL waiting for an Aer Lingus flight to DUB, whilst I was waiting for my first ever flight  Big thumbs up Was back in 1992 I think.
When you hear the noise of the Tartan Army Boys, we'll be coming down the road!

US AIRWAYS

Mon Aug 11, 2003 9:54 pm

I sat next to Harry Connick Jr. in first on a flight from CLT-LAS back in '97. Real nice guy, though he did sleep most of the time.

Jonathan
Go Eagles!

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos