Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

atrude777
Topic Author

Can I Give My "unused" Ticket Money To Someone?

Thu Aug 14, 2003 11:02 pm

Ok, here is what I am asking. I orginally booked a Southwest flight to OKC from STL. I had to cancel the flight due to my mom not wanting me to fly. I have 1 year to use the Southwest "ticket", I have 80 dollars left in the "WN BANK". Now if I don't use that 80 dollars I lose it correct??? So...I know some of you will say just get a free ride somewhere and use it, but I am to far away from STL to "just use it" and my mom won't let me. The question is, my dad may need to go somewhere, and it is a WN city, so can he use MY 80 dollars or does the person flying to use it have to be me?? Also, if the ticket is MORE then 80 dollars, can I get 80 dollars taken off? or does it have to be 80 dollars or less??

Just wondering, thanks

Alex.

[Edited 2003-08-14 16:04:10]
Good things come to those who wait, better things come to those who go AFTER it!

WNfan

RE: Can I Give My "unused" Ticket Money To Someone?

Thu Aug 14, 2003 11:33 pm

You can indeed use those funds for a future purchase, regardless of the passenger. You can even practice doing it right now.

Go to http://www.southwest.com, click on Reservations, put in some dates and a city pair, and click on Go To Next Step -> Select Flight. Then pick one of your flight choices and click on Go To Next Step -> Price. You'll see the grand total after taxes, then click Go To Next Step -> USA Purchase. Now you'll see a label that says Apply Ticketless Travel Funds with a View and Apply button. If you click on it, you'll be asked for the confirmation number and credit card holder name. After entering those two items, click View Funds. The system will then show you how much the funds are worth, and you can check the box to apply them to this travel purchase.

You'll then get rerouted back to the Purchase Travel screen, and if the funds sufficient, you're done and the system will leave the difference on the same confirmation number for you to use again later. If the funds aren't enough, you can enter a credit card to charge the difference. That's all there is to it!

Southwest allows you to cancel trips without any penalty, and I believe they are the only major US carrier with this policy. It's wonderful and is the primary reason I fly them loyally.

Good luck and happy travels!

ps I'm sorry your mother won't let you fly. I would tell her that there are 45,000 auto fatalities per year in the US, while Southwest hasn't had a single one in 32 years of flying. Air travel is far and away the safest mode of transportation in our country, by a long long measure.

[Edited 2003-08-14 16:45:00]

atrude777
Topic Author

RE: Can I Give My "unused" Ticket Money To Someone

Thu Aug 14, 2003 11:42 pm

I should have made myself more clear.

My mom didn't want me to connect. I was scheduled to connect in MCI, and she doesn't like me connecting. so I had to cancel that trip and rebook it on American Airlines since they fly non-stop. But usually, I ALWAYS fly WN when I can because of exactly what you said.

Thank you very much, this will definetly help!!!!

Alex.
Good things come to those who wait, better things come to those who go AFTER it!

RE: Can I Give My "unused" Ticket Money To Someone?

Thu Aug 14, 2003 11:45 pm

I thought you didn't like flying out of St. Louis and would rather travel out of Marion? If you don't use your hometown airline service, it'll go away.

atrude777
Topic Author

RE: Can I Give My "unused" Ticket Money To Someone

Thu Aug 14, 2003 11:58 pm

Thats why I AM flying out of Marion. If I could choose, I would ALWAYS fly out of Marion, but my parents are the ones buying so I gotta comply with them. but since I am flying by myself now I got to choose and naturall I chose MWA.

The reason i fly out of STL is because NO OTHER AIRLINE will fly out of MWA. they all fly to STL so I HAVE to go to STL to get those airlines.

Alex.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos