Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

UALPHLCS
Topic Author

Question For TSA Why Do We Still Check ID

Thu Aug 14, 2003 11:06 pm

Depending on the airport (PHL included) airlines still have to check ID against the boarding pass as pax board.

If we have any TSA folks here, why are airlines still doing this? I worked the first flight that we had to check ID's on. I remember it very vividly. The reason given was because we had just bugun bombing Afganistan and were now in a real shooting war.

Afganistan is not the threat it once was, Iraq can't be used as an excuse. With all the other layers of security I would think that this measure could be retired in ALL airports.

Just so I'm not misunderstood: I have never had any qualms about the ID check, done right it is not a hassle for passengers of the airlines. what is a hassle is the inconsistant policy depending on airport. I was much better when all the airports demended the same thing. Explaining that that is not the case in PHL and getting the 15 or 20 per flight who refuse to listen IS annoying. Also trying to figure out logical inconsistancies is a fun way to pass the time even if it drives you nuts.

aa757first

RE: Question For TSA Why Do We Still Check ID

Thu Aug 14, 2003 11:35 pm

On AA, they did check IDs at PHL, but did not at MIA.

WNfan

Thu Aug 14, 2003 11:47 pm

At most airports now (at least the ones I've been using) they do not check IDs at the gate. Nor is additional screening done at the gate anymore.

WMUPilot

Fri Aug 15, 2003 12:01 am

Right now it's not an option put forth by the airlines. The TSA said we may check ID's at the gate but it is no longer necessary as they are suppose to do it at the checkpoint before letting passengers through into the concourses. The TSA is putting together something right now that will eliminate ID's being needed at the gate in all airports. Foe me it is too much of a hassle to look at ID's at the gate so I don't ask for them. Others may, just depends.

Matt D

Fri Aug 15, 2003 12:04 am

The TSA is putting together something right now that will eliminate ID's being needed at the gate in all airports.

Is this to imply that maybe the days of gate spotting/photography sans ticket again might be in our future?

JGPH1A

Fri Aug 15, 2003 12:08 am

I fear that what the TSA is putting together is the dreaded CAPPS - a computer to decide based on address and contact data provided by the passenger and compared with "commercial databases", whether you the flying public are a terrorist or not. For non-US residents who don't have American Express cards, this probably means strip searches and body cavity probes before every US domestic flight, because we won't show up in the commercial databases. Rubber gloves, anyone ?

Fri Aug 15, 2003 12:14 am

Real roto-rooter.... don't stop 'til you hit the back of their teeth.

mrlineguy

Fri Aug 15, 2003 3:03 am

A couple comments...

1) Airlines already use CAPPS, which is a program with set parameters (some by the airline and some set by the government) used to determine if you are a "profile/selectee" passenger.

2) Eventually, it is my understanding, that ALL airports will require a passenger to be in possession of a BOARDING PASS before proceeding through security, so that the TSA may check your ID against your boarding pass and determine (by looking at the physical boarding pass) if or if you are not a "profile/selectee" passenger, where then the additional screening will take place, as "profile/selectee" passengers are required to go through additional screening. Since the ID checking and "selectee screening" is completed at the Security Checkpoint passengers will not have to show ID's at the boarding door, nor will gate searches have to take place as the screening of "selectees" has already been done at the checkpoint. At some airports, those who allow you through with an itinerary, you will be required to show ID at the boarding door and gate searches will be taking place to complete the "selectee screening" which is required by the TSA. As I stated above, all airports will eventually require a boarding pass to proceed through security, at which point ID checking and gate searching will be no more as all of that is completed at the Security Checkpoint!

Regards

Kevin

jhooper

Fri Aug 15, 2003 3:54 am

As MrLineGuy stated, the only airport which stilll require ID checks at the gate are airports (ATL is an example) that do not require a BOARDING PASS + PHOTO ID to clear the checkpoint. Some airports still let you in with an itinerary you can print off your computer without checking your ID at the checkpoint, and these airports must check ID at the gates. TSA's website shows which airports now check boarding passes and ID at the checkpoint; thus the airlines don't have to do it again at the gates.

If we have any TSA folks here, why are airlines still doing this? I worked the first flight that we had to check ID's on. I remember it very vividly. The reason given was because we had just bugun bombing Afganistan and were now in a real shooting war.

If I recall, airlines were required to check IDs at the boarding gate as soon as flights resumed after 9/11/01.

B4REAL

Fri Aug 15, 2003 7:25 am

Gate ID-check performed after security screening checkpoint is moot IMHO for US domestic flights.

What REALLY concerns me is the ability to create a fake-ID and the ability for that same malicious person to create a fake boarding pass (web-checkins).

Until the TSA verifies boarding passes with the airlines and checks the ID at the security checkpoints, we will forever be able to reply to topics like this.

UA777lover

Fri Aug 15, 2003 9:28 am

The checking of ID's is hit and miss even flying the same airline. UA in SFO, ORD, and DEN don't check ID's at the gate, but they do at LAX and MSY. I asked why there was this difference, and was told "it was to confuse the terrorists". If this is all it takes.....

gigneil

Fri Aug 15, 2003 9:32 am

Is this to imply that maybe the days of gate spotting/photography sans ticket again might be in our future?

No... you need a ticket to access the concourse.

N

B4REAL

Fri Aug 15, 2003 10:31 am

I think it is silly what some airports do. My airport, GRR (small ~1 million pax/yr. I think), has a 3rd party (non-airport, non-TSA, non-airline) checking to make sure you have a ticket and that you have an ID and to make sure you are going to the correct concource (two concourses with 5 and 6 gates respectively - so huge). To then pass through to the TSA checker who does their thing (ID matching name on ticket and look for SSSS). The first check is not necessary and a waste of Kent county funds, federal assistance, airlines burdens, or some other type money ultimately coming from flyers like me.

I just got a state ID and put it on a string and carry it on my belt along with my FF cards for kiosks.

Any other small airports

alexchao

Fri Aug 15, 2003 11:13 am

When I flew Southwest out of LAX this June, I had an ID + Boarding Pass check at both the security checkpoint and the gate.

When I flew EVA Air out of LAX last week, I also had an ID + Boarding Pass check at both the security checkpoint and the gate.

-alexchao

UALPHLCS
Topic Author

Fri Aug 15, 2003 10:16 pm

Remember that is was shortly after 9-11 that ID were required. But it did not occur until we bagan bombimg Afganistan. When it started we thought it would end when major fighting ended. This has not ben the case. AS has been mentioned the TSA has decided to keep the airlines checking ID's as long as they are letting passengers through the check points with just an itinerary not requiring a boarding pass.

I guess my real question is that in may cities PHL in particular we seem to be ready to switch over for months yet they still wait. This is what I can't figure out, why if we are ready does the TSA hold back?

Are there any TSA employees who are Airliners.net members?

jhooper

Sat Aug 16, 2003 4:09 am

The procedures at PHL probably have to be tested for a certain period of time before they can "switch over".

DeltaMD11

Sat Aug 16, 2003 5:29 am

I flew to SAN this past month with America West out of PHL and first off, I was checked in by a CO agent instead of the single America West agent on-duty that morning (CO and HP share the same counters in Terminal D, as well as CO takes care of HP aircraft on the ground). I was required to have my boarding pass and picture ID at both the security checkpoint, as well as at the gate. When I arrived in LAS and boarded my next flight, they did not check ID's, just boarding passes. So it's six or one-half dozen to the other.

I agree with UALPHLCS in that it is kind of senseless. You are positive ID'd ad the security checkpoint, and doing it again at the gate takes valuable time and is useless.

ouboy79

Sat Aug 16, 2003 6:35 am

Or it could be liked I witnessed in MIA...they never asked for IDs at the check point nor the gate. This was roughly 3 weeks or so ago. Hopefully this has since been corrected.