Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

cmckeithen
Topic Author

More Intl. Flights To And Out Of MSY

Fri Aug 15, 2003 12:44 am

We need to attract international travel to our city. I would love to see many international departures and arrivals into our airport. We can support them if we expand our airport. We already have a new runway on the drawing board all we need next is a new terminal. We have the room for expansion.

I would love to see the following airlines and cites served:

BA: MSY-LGW
LGW-MSY

LH: Various cities
KE: Various cities
QF: MSY-SYD
SYD-MSY

MSY-SYD-AMS
AMS-SYD-MSY

DL: MSY-AMS
AMS-MSY

MSY-CDG
CDG-MSY

CO: MSY-CDG
CDG-MSY

MSY-HNL
HNL-MSY

MSY-NRT
NRT-MSY

Any other airlines and cites please pass them along.

cmckeithen
Topic Author

RE: More Intl. Flights To And Out Of MSY

Fri Aug 15, 2003 12:47 am

Correction for QF:

MSY-SYD-AKL
AKL-SYD-MSY

JGPH1A

Fri Aug 15, 2003 12:48 am

If BA were to fly to MSY, it would be from LHR - long-haul services from LGW are soon to be a thing of the past. Can't see it happening myself - far more likely to use the aircraft to restore non-stop service to IAH or PIT, than open a new station in a fairly non-business-essential city like MSY.

Don't get me wrong - I love MSY, and it would be great if it was easier to get to from this side of the pond.

ssides

Fri Aug 15, 2003 12:49 am

I could see a BA flight to LGW, but other than that, I can't picture any other major international service to MSY. The biggest obstacle is that there is no major hub that could feed traffic to the international carrier. DFW, a very large hub, currently has no service to AMS and only sparse service to ICN on KE. Some of DFW's NRT flights have been cut back. If DFW can't maintain this level of international service, I seriously doubt that MSY could.

I do think the market for an HNL flight, maybe 3 times a week, might be there, though.

MSYtristar

Fri Aug 15, 2003 12:56 am

Well, we certainly can support 1 flight to Paris, London, Frankfurt, or Amsterdam....but not all four.

We don't have a long enough runway to serve NRT nonstop, nor do we have a large Japanese population or numerous business ties to the region besides our Port-related businesses.

And as far as Sydney goes, if cities' like Houston and Dallas don't see SYD nonstops, we surely can't. And we'd need at least a 12,000ft runway minimum, which won't happen here.

Honolulu? I could possibly see a weekly seasonal charter, but that may even be pushing it without being a hub for any carrier (except for WN).

Nonstops to Europe/Caribbean/Mexico are certainly feasible and will happen sooner or later, I'm not worried about those at all, but Asia is strictly for huge markets. A little out of our league at this point. Maybe someday.  Smile

So what are some feasible intl. flights we could/should see?

AF to Paris
MX to Cancun
TA to San Jose,CR

Just my 2 cents worth.

Steve in New Orleans

Tom in NO

Fri Aug 15, 2003 1:04 am

Due to Bermuda II, I don't think we can get LHR service, it would have to go to LGW.

The main problem with getting the overseas flights is the proliferation of airline alliances, and the ability of the US airlines to feed MSY traffic to their hubs, where connections to the international flights can be made.

Years ago, we had a MEX-MSY-LGW service from BA. Got cancelled before I got here in '87.

We've had long-standing hopes for more European service, Air France, Martinair, KLM, LH, have all been approached. Central and South America are our best hopes. Sol Air is an ongoing likelyhood.

I hold no hopes for anything Pacific-related. Their are too many options involving existing service, and the likely lack of a good demand for direct service.

Tom at MSY

jcs17

Fri Aug 15, 2003 1:10 am

Dear New Orleans User,

I want to reiterate a few points to you:

-Your city is one of the LOWEST YIELD CITIES IN AMERICA.
-It is in the bottom 10 of average salary
-It is not known as a business destination, it is known for a cheesy festival where drunk chicks take of their shirts for 50 cent beads
-You WILL NOT get scheduled service from Europe. Let alone Asia, or Australia.
-Just because someone from Louisiana's last name ends with -eaux, doesnt mean that they are France aficianados who have a vacation home and yacht in Nice. If Billy Bob Robicheaux makes the average Louisiana salary, I doubt he'll be jetting off to CDG to hang out with his associates and sample some of the finest wine...

Now for a few guarantees:
-MSY will not get anything larger than a 767.
-MSY will never get a sniff of a European airline...let alone an Asian one

I just want these "MSY is going to get daily AF service!" threads to go away...

ConcordeBoy

Fri Aug 15, 2003 1:18 am

*cue IndustrialPatent whining*  Big grin

---

Due to Bermuda II, I don't think we can get LHR service

Well, there is one way around that, though probably not likely any time soon.... we need to get a single carrier here and have it do a certain amount (not sure the exact number, B747-437B I think knows) of nonstop O&D LON traffic over a given time period. That's why BA was allowed to switch SAN/DEN/PHX. Because certainly no USA carrier is gonna offer nonstop LON service here, there's a something of a chance of eventually pulling off a switch such as that; though the question of "would MSY traffic be valuable enough to demand an LHR slot" is also a factor... particularly considering that 1carrier cities such as STL/RDU/LAS failed to make the transition.  Sad

As for Euro-service.... it seems AF has always been this airport's priority; and with a continual snub. BA/VS are options now that STL/PIT no longer see LON service. I doubt NW/KL would show much attention with AMS flights right there in IAH and MEM, though MSY did have nonstop AMS service years ago.

LH was reportedly to choose between MSY and MSP as their next destination after PDX last year, but that seems to have died. I'd imagine that one of US's cities would be on their priority list now.

doninfc

Fri Aug 15, 2003 1:19 am

Jcs17: I agree some of the suggestions on this thread are a bit far fetched, but if the topic doesn't interest you, DON'T BOTHER READING IT! It is also possible to disagree with someone and share your opinion without having a stick up your butt. Lighten up.

JGPH1A

Fri Aug 15, 2003 1:20 am

Possibly "MSY is going to get daily AF codeshare service from Cincinnati, operated by Skyteam partner Delta's regional jet affiliate Comair, using Bombardier Regional Jet aircraft" is closer to reality.

MSYtristar

Fri Aug 15, 2003 1:27 am

Jcs17, really man, your act gets old very quickly.

You always are quick to bash MSY but the last time I checked, you don't really reside here too much. You are basing your opinions on what you have heard of have seen for a week or so. Your views of the city are as skewed as your statement "MSY will never get a sniff of a European airline".
We will someday, whether you think so or not.

The real question here is this: Why does it anger you so to see threads like this? I'd go find a shrink or something and talk about it if I were you.

Steve in MSY

Jacques60

Fri Aug 15, 2003 1:32 am

JGPH1A : good idea ! but would it be easier to go CDG/ATL connecting DL to MSY ? Hav'nt checked if they fly this route !
Don't forget also that AF already serves DFW and IAH plus MIA of course which I consider as good starting bases for French tourists who like to drive and see the place more than fly !

cmckeithen
Topic Author

Fri Aug 15, 2003 1:38 am

Jcs17 you are TOTALLY wrong about MSY and the city of New Orleans. We have business conventions almost every week and we are starting to gain businesses. We have several major cruise liners leaving out of our ports. And as you should know we have one of the best tourism industries in the USA and not to mention the world. So before you blast off about our city, you should get the facts straight. No city is perfect.

Yes we might have had business troubles in the past, but we have a great mayor in office who is starting to change things around. So just shut up and if you have a problem about the MSY threads, THEN DONT READ THEM!

Steve, we have a new runway on the drawing board. Our current runways can handle large jet aircraft (777, 747). But I we need to get a longer one if we want Intl. travel.

For all of you naysairs out there that think we cannot handle Intl. flights, you are wrong. We can make it work and I would love to see it happen in the next few years.

ConcordeBoy

Fri Aug 15, 2003 1:39 am

AF no longer serves DFW

jcs17

Fri Aug 15, 2003 1:50 am

Oh, I see. Since you are able to post about your fantasies of having an AF 777 daily from CDG, I am not allowed to post and tell you that you are incorrect---and back up my statements with FACTS AND LOGIC. My fault.

Oh and about the DFW AF service, it will most likely be reinstated by next summer (and that has been confirmed by multiple sources).

cmckeithen
Topic Author

Fri Aug 15, 2003 1:58 am

You can back up your claim but do it with accurate facts. Plus I did not mention anything about AF in my post. Read it more closely before you ramble on any more. And it is not a fantasy. It is a reality and a can do!

And another thing, I have not mentioned in my post the problems Dallas, TX has. But I wont do that b/c I don't have to down play any city to sound macho or stoop down to your level of thinking.

ConcordeBoy

Fri Aug 15, 2003 2:31 am

I am not allowed to post and tell you that you are incorrect

How exactly can a desire to see a new airline in one's airport be "incorrect"?

it will most likely be reinstated by next summer (and that has been confirmed by multiple sources)

And what sources would these happen to be... the homeless people who push their carts around in front of Krogers?  Laugh out loud

Let's see:

• AF failed to secure significant travel/cargo contracts for DFW service (hasnt changed since AF's pullout)

• Continental is now virtually guaranteed to reinstate their relationship with AF (another plus for Houston and minus for Dallas, since AF's pullout)

• Delta's feed into the airport is on the decline (has gotten worse since AF's pullout)

• American has ramped CDG service since AF's pullout

• DTW and/or SEA are now higher on AF's priority list (were at the time of the pullout, now much more so); etc

In light of all of this... exactly what were your "sources" basing their claim of reinstated DFW service on again?
  •  
    cmckeithen
    Topic Author

Fri Aug 15, 2003 2:37 am

ConcordeBoy....my last post was directed to our Texas jockey. You know....Jcs17. Go get em ConcordeBoy.

[Edited 2003-08-14 19:38:45]

MAH4546

Fri Aug 15, 2003 2:38 am

With all this nitpicking going on, nobody has mentioned that MSY-HNL is not international.

Carry on...

cmckeithen
    Topic Author

Fri Aug 15, 2003 2:40 am

I know that MAH4546.....I did not mean to include that in with the Intl post. I will fix it. Thanks!

CO: MSY-HNL is not Intl.....but I still would like to see a flight or two to this destination.

B747-437B

Fri Aug 15, 2003 3:15 am

For once, I am in complete agreement with JCS.

Doesn't MSY get international flights from Gruppo Taca or something?

ConcordeBoy

Fri Aug 15, 2003 3:31 am

perhaps you should have chosen the safe side... and used the word "longhaul" instead of international  Big grin Big grin

Tom in NO

Fri Aug 15, 2003 3:36 am

I'm going to stand back and let you all hash this out. Besides, I'm hungry amd Bud's Broiler is beckoning.

Tom at MSY

FYI to 747: TACA's been here for years and years, now with a daily A320.

ConcordeBoy

Fri Aug 15, 2003 3:40 am

Doesn't MSY get international flights from Gruppo Taca or something?

Yes, TA to SAP
    AC to YYZ is returning soon

Usually get a plethora of scheduled charters to the various Caribbean destinations (mostly Montego, Freeport/Nassau, Cancun, etc) during the summer, but that's about it as well.

Lost TW and AM to MEX and CUN since the turn of the century.

And then there's the alleged TCA who wants to fly MSY-SXM and MSY-CUR.... but aside from their physical office in BTR, there's little evidence that anything will happen there.

aa61hvy

Fri Aug 15, 2003 3:46 am

DL's service has recently increased at DFW for the record.

B747-437B

Fri Aug 15, 2003 3:57 am

TA to SAP

Isn't SAP the button on the remote control to switch to the Spanish soundtrack?  Big grin

Fri Aug 15, 2003 3:57 am

I'm sorry, but with the great domestic connections to hub airports via airlines that already serve New Orleans, longhaul international service is just not necessary!

cmckeithen
    Topic Author

Fri Aug 15, 2003 4:32 am

It's time to get more intl airlines and flights into MSY. I would like to see a trial run at it. 6 mons - 1 yr.

HlywdCatft

Fri Aug 15, 2003 4:44 am

I can't see anyone flying into MSY other than British and Air France.

British because they fly to almost every American airport and Air France because of the French there in New Orleans.

Why else would there be a HUGE demand for foreign travel other than at Mardi Gras?

MCO can't even bring in Lufthansa or Air France and just gets a couple of German charter flights- LTU once a week and Condor 2-3X a week. There would be a much bigger reason for a lot of those airlines you name to come to MCO before they would go to MSY.

ScottB

Fri Aug 15, 2003 5:48 am

Sssssshhhhhh, don't criticize the idea of every foreign airline under the sun flying to MSY (or insert-any-airport-code) simply because some enthusiasts think that particular airport is "underserved" or "needs" more international service. I can DEFINITELY see CO operating flights from MSY to CDG, NRT, and HNL before they would even consider putting them at CLE! And MSY-AMS and MSY-CDG make far more sense for Delta than adding CVG-AMS and DFW-CDG which of course would pick up very little traffic from those hubs.

Yeesh, while I agree the people have the right (within bounds of taste and factuality, as well as relevance to aviation) to post what they want, I also believe that people have the right to say when they think a given idea is just plain wrong. Attacking someone just because he's interrupting a little lovefest on a given topic is just plain wrong. If you don't agree, then give real facts as to why you think he's wrong.

dutchjet

Fri Aug 15, 2003 6:12 am

Controversial discussion.

Didnt BA serve New Orleans in the past, maybe 25 or more years ago? And, I remember Delta offering caribbean/venezuala service out of New Orleans as well. Back in the late 1980s, I flew from LGA to CAN with a stop in MSY on a 72S......so international flights did exist. Question is, will they return?

Most US cities gain international and long-haul services when an airline establishes a major hub at an airport; for example, much of the international service out of Cincinnati is due to Delta's hub there, some of ATL's and DFW's intnernational services are due to hub operations, at EWR, CO could not offer the number of long-haul international flights that are scheduled without their hub operation. The problem for MSY is that none of the traditional US carriers hub at MSY; the problem is compounded by the fact that in this world of alliances, non-US carriers usually select routes into their partner's hub.

The other issue is geography, New Orleans is not far from ATL, DFW, IAH, MEM and even MIA, all major hubs for one or more airlines that offer a huge amount of international services to Europe,Latin America and Japan, backed up by huge connecting traffic and, in most cases, good to excellent O&D traffic.

That being said, it is possible that an airline could build a latin american gateway at New Orleans, although MIA is "the" latin american gateway with IAH doing quite well thanks to CO and AA does have some latin american/carib flights out of DFW. BA could try MSY-London, but only if it could somehow get the flight into LHR for onward connections or LH would possibly try MSY-FRA if there was support from the business markets (hey, they surprised everyone a couple of years ago with PHX service and now are opening PDX.) Much has to do with business connections between two areas, is the "greater" New orleans area home to many subsidiaries or divisions or mulit-national corportations? If its not, it will be difficult to interest the airlines in opening nonstop long-haul services......its far too easy to use code-share connections to accommodate lower yeild leisure passengers.

aa61hvy

Fri Aug 15, 2003 6:13 am

Why would CO operate flights from MSY to CDG? IAH is pretty close to MSY...

Most of the Mardi Gras crew are late teens to mid twenties, most of which could not afford a plane ticket.

Bottom line is, if there was demand, some airline would fly that route, especially in this day and age. Otherwise, there is not a whole lot you can do about it.

MSYtristar

Fri Aug 15, 2003 7:15 am

All I can say is that things in this city are changing, but you don't have to believe me I guess, even though I've lived here all my life. Within the next few years, I wholeheartedly believe we will see a NONSTOP to Europe on a major European scheduled or charter carrier. Our closeness to IAH/ATL/DFW and the decline in air travel post 9/11 are the two main reasons why we have not yet received one. We have more than enough local traffic to fill a Europe flight, and the airline's could charge what they want basically, as they would have a monopoly on the route. Business is moving back into this city whether some of yall believe it is or not. Frankly, I could care less. Before Europe comes on line, expect to see more Central American service, starting with Sol Air within the next year.

Let me conclude by saying this: Every person on here should be allowed to speak his/her mind about any topic they choose to do so. No one is arguing that. So if someone finds a topic that they really are not intested in, instead of jumping in and making childish and pointless remarks, just ignore it. Not too hard to do really. Aren't we all adults here? Well, some of us are anyway.

Steve in New Orleans (and damn proud of it)

MSYtristar

Fri Aug 15, 2003 7:25 am

I have a feeling Virgin's 747-400 cruise charter coming in this January will lead to a growing relationship between that airline and MSY.

cmckeithen
    Topic Author

Fri Aug 15, 2003 9:32 am

That would be great MSYtristar. I hope we have our runway projects finished by then!

MSYtristar

Fri Aug 15, 2003 10:09 am

The new North/South runway being proposed will only be 8000 ft. long...if it ever gets built. Hardly enough for anything more than a hop over to LAX unfortunately. Our current runway 10/28 is around 10,100ft. long, which is suitable for Europe flights.

Steve in New Orleans

ConcordeBoy

Fri Aug 15, 2003 10:13 am

The only problem is, that runway is going to be closed for six months in 2005

That alone could deter someone from starting up here.

Oh, and there's that 13,000ft runway the Monteleones want built next to the interstate since their St.Charles project is all but D.O.A,..... but the Feds arent even interested in helping study that  Sad

cmckeithen
    Topic Author

Fri Aug 15, 2003 10:25 am

Well.....we need something done and quick.

MSYtristar

Fri Aug 15, 2003 10:47 am

Oh Fred guess what? Our favorite poster on this sight has started another amazing thread about MSY on airwhiners.net.....it's a classic check it out.  Smile

Paddy

Fri Aug 15, 2003 12:16 pm

Dutchjet made a good point. Business presence is key. PDX is a good example. It is one of the smallest major urban centers in the US, certainly not a place you would expect a major international carrier like LH to add as a gateway. However, through local corporations and international corporate branches, Portland made an arrangement to get nonstop service to Europe. That was the only way. And only time will tell if it holds up. So unless you have Nike and Adidas campuses in your back yard, I doesn't seem too likely that you will lure in a major European or Asian carrier to MSY. Also, as others have pointed out, MSY isn't a hub and is close to cities that are. One more thing to consider is that at this point in time, the European carriers are axing gateways rather than adding them. As examples, SAN just lost BA and I believe that PHX and maybe even another city was cut or temporarily suspended by LH. So maybe later but I don't see it happening anytime soon. Its too bad because New Orleans is such a great city. I hope that the archaic hub system gets replaced with more direct flights in comparatively smaller planes(like the A330 and pending 7E7). It makes more sense in the emerging global economy and will open new markets. Well that's my 2cents, good luck!

View Large View Medium
    Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Royal S King

[Edited 2003-08-15 05:19:20]

[Edited 2003-08-15 05:19:53]

HlywdCatft

Fri Aug 15, 2003 12:25 pm

Besides a lot of European countries celebrate Carnival at the same time as Mardi Gras, so that wouldn't be that big of an attraction for Europeans, especially when Carnival is said to be even wilder than Mardi Gras.

I bring up the statement a lot about why doesn't DTW get more middle eastern airlines besides the once week Royal Jordanian flight being that it has the largest arab population in the USA, most of them first generation and immigrants as compared to the "french" in Louisiana who have been here 200 years.

Paddy

Fri Aug 15, 2003 12:50 pm

HlywdCtft: maybe KLM via AMS is sufficient? Don't they do a lot of flights to and from the Middle East?

MSYtristar

Fri Aug 15, 2003 12:59 pm

What really screwed New Orleans and the state of Louisiana from not getting a fair share of international flights as well as more big business is this: Corrupt government for years and years.

Things are changing, but it's a slow process, certainly will not happen overnight.

We'll get to the day when....be it 5 to 10 years from now...where you will be able to get on a 767/7E7/330 in MSY and arrive in Europe nonstop.

I've waited this far, I can wait some more. After all, MSY is not alone as far as mid-sized markets w/o Europe nonstops...BNA, MCI, SLC, BDL, CMH...and soon to be STL.

Steve in New Orleans

Lt-AWACS

Fri Aug 15, 2003 2:10 pm

Dallas has the highest crime rate in the US for the 6th year in a row, as noted on the front page of the Dallas morning news, so don't worry about what many call Baja Oklahoma. THough I do agree this site is for opinions, though they should try and avoid hostilities (as it says in the regs)

That being said, on the MSY service. IAH and MIA are such big draws from MSY for many connections, I don't think MSY will get much anytime soon. Stateside- there are many conventions and such in New Orleans- it will probably see growth over time. Sidenote-Mardi Gras is probably the worst time to visit NOLA IMHO, I like the off season, but maybe I am getting old LOL.

TACA used to have Belize City service out of MSY, and last time I went to Belize ( I go often but through Houston) I didn't note if NOLA was still on the board (though US Airways has new Charlotte service). Anyone know if TACA's Belize City service is still up??? or if not coming back???

Southern Louisana has the highest diaspora of Belizeans in the US, with LA a close second, and south Florida 3rd.

As for Europe, I could maybe see 1 daily non-stop from MSY, you never know. If the industry and economy continue to improve it wouldn't shock me. Good luck NOLA.

Ciao, and Hook 'em Horns,
    Capt-AWACS, Yankee Air Pirate

SailorOrion

Fri Aug 15, 2003 5:20 pm

Currently, LH is reviewing a daily nonstop flight FRA-MSY to start in 2004, which seems to be in the race with FRA-MSP and FRA-SEA, along with one of MUC-CLT, MUC-PIT and MUC-MCO. So it is possilbe that MSY will be seeing a European nonstop flight soon.

SailorOrion

MSYtristar

Sat Aug 16, 2003 12:03 am

Thanks everyone for the string of well-thought-out, insightful comments.

Lt-Awacs: The TACA flight to Belize City was replaced with San Pedro Sula about 2 years ago. It has since been upgraded from a 732 to a 320, sometimes a 319. I've been seeing a "Taca Peru" 319 here maybe once a week....interesting sight.

Steve in New Orleans

ConcordeBoy

Sat Aug 16, 2003 2:21 am

Currently, LH is reviewing a daily nonstop flight FRA-MSY to start in 2004

Interesting. Can you expand on this a little more.... also, what's your source?

SailorOrion

Sat Aug 16, 2003 5:18 am

My source is some people @ Lufthansa, I was told a little about which routes are currently under review, and MSY is in there. It all depends on economic development (especially in Germany), and the recovering of the Asia market. Next new routes (official) are MUC-MIA and MUC-DXB.

Other routes are:
    FRA-Ghangzou (I am too lazy to look up the airport code)
    MUC-CLT
    MUC-PIT
    FRA-SEA
    FRA-MSY
    FRA-MSP
    MUC-DEN
    MUC-DEL
    and of course the currently suspended routes MUC-PEK,HKG and maybe SIN.

LH will need to start several new routes once the new planes start pouring in, 10 A340-600 and 10 A330-300 should be delivered till early 2005, while the last A340-200 and the 5 leased A330-200 are supposed to go. They also still have 4 B744 options open, which they were very short of exercising in 2001.

SailorOrion

bartond

Sat Aug 16, 2003 6:00 am

Wow I wasn't aware that the Denver area would be able to fill a daily 744 to FRA plus a flight to MUC. They have a rapidly-growing metro area with good business climate and I guess some Germans/Europeans want to go to the Rockies?? Let's see...Alps vs. Rockies....hmmm?

Either way it's good to see LH expanding. There's nothing better than to see that bright blue and yellow tail lit up flying across the sky.

FrequentFlyKid

Sat Aug 16, 2003 6:21 am

Air France is a member of Skyteam, as we all know. I just don't see them serving MSY non-stop from CDG with Delta being a codeshare partner and Skyteam member. Delta operates a 767 MSY-ATL arriving at 3:59PM. It's no coincidence that it arrives in time for the nightly push to Europe from ATL. I just don't see it, not because of MSY, but because of the proximity to ATL (flight time wise) and the relationship between DL and AF.