Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

flyboy80
Topic Author

Explanation Of Pic And Caption

Fri Aug 15, 2003 12:54 am

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Frank C. Duarte Jr.

I found this pic, and the caption really doesn't make much sense, the part referring to the US Airways and British Airways agreement, some info would be great!
Thanks

potomac

RE: Explanation Of Pic And Caption

Fri Aug 15, 2003 12:56 am

well, it is a little weird, but the registration number towards the tail is an "N" number, presumably a US Airways registered plane.

Lindy

Fri Aug 15, 2003 1:00 am

US and BA were very close in the early 90's. I forgot what the deal was with those two, but you can search this forum and find lots of info on it. It was discussed here at least 5 times.

Rafal

JGPH1A

Fri Aug 15, 2003 1:01 am

This was an extensive cooperation agreement signed between BA and US in the 1980's (I think) whereby US would operate almost as a US Domestic franchise carrier for BA, hubbing in Pittsburgh and Charlotte, feeding passengers onto transatlantic services operated by US Airways for BA between PIT/CLT and LGW. US Air staff would wear BA uniforms and the aircraft were painted in BA livery (although I think only the 767's were repainted). I think BA took over the operation of flights to PIT and CLT later on, not sure if this was before or after the agreement ended acrimoniously, when BA went with AA as its North American partner. It never really worked out, mostly because the London flights had to go to Gatwick not Heathrow, and the feed to CLT/PIT on US Airways is mostly from the not-very-business orientated US South East.

Possibly if BA had been allowed to buy a majority stake in US Airways, this would have been very a different picture now.

airchabum

Fri Aug 15, 2003 1:01 am

BA were tied up with US Air for a while in the mid-90's before their interest in AA. Can't remember if there was any change of equity or if it was just a codeshare, but some of the US 767's were painted in BA livery.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos