Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

MAH4546
Topic Author

Rumour: SAA Back To Miami?

Fri Aug 15, 2003 2:04 am

This is nothing more than a rumour, but it has appaered in at least one African media source (in Cape Verde). Supposedly, South African Airways is strongly considering returning to South Florida with the introduction of 3x weekly service to and from JNB. With thier new A340s (can the -300s do JNB-MIA/FLL-JNB non-stop?) the route is more feasible because it would be heavily O&D. South African Airways last served South Florida with CPT-FLL-ATL-CPT service that was suspended after September 2001.

Anybody know more?
a.

MD80Nut

RE: Rumour: SAA Back To Miami?

Fri Aug 15, 2003 2:25 am

Unfortunately I haven't heard anything about that. SAA's new A340-300Es will supposedly have the range to do JNB-MIA-JNB. It will be nice to see SAA back in Miami, they used to fly a 747-400 here before switching to ATL.

Didn't SAA have a relationship with AA? Is that relationship still alive?
Fly Douglas Jets DC-8 / DC-9 / DC-10 / MD80 / MD11 / MD90 / 717

JGPH1A

Fri Aug 15, 2003 2:30 am

No - SAA's relationship with AA was ditched in favour of DL - hence the switch of flights from MIA to ATL. Not sure why that was, possibly because ATL offered better connections to more US cities than MIA.

I flew on one of the early JNB-CPT-MIA non-stops (OK, it stopped in CPT, but you know what I mean), in 90 or 91 - looooong flight, but SAA used to have Y class seating in the upper deck, so being staff we naturally assigned ourselves upper deck exit row - best seats on a 744, even in Y class. The flight used to arrive in E terminal at MIA, with a train ride and a 2 mile walk to Immigration and Customs.

Happy days.
Young and beautiful and thin and gorgeous AND BANNED ! Cya at airspaceonline.com, losers

MD80Nut

Fri Aug 15, 2003 2:48 am

Thanks, I had forgotten about the shift to DL from AA. Makes sense because Atlanta does have better domestic connections than MIA.

cheers, Ralph
Fly Douglas Jets DC-8 / DC-9 / DC-10 / MD80 / MD11 / MD90 / 717

scottysair

Fri Aug 15, 2003 5:55 am

Yeah, this is really remember that one shift from AA to SA)">DL new codeshare with SA. These are no longer use with codehare is AA/SA either and things was not doing very well with their code on the every flight. How you thought knew that one of SAA will coming back to SA - Florida">MIA again. I will still monitor of those news anytime soon. Thanks!!  Smile

Scott W.

United_fan

Fri Aug 15, 2003 6:41 am

When did SA leave SA - Florida">FLL ? I saw them there in June 01.
"Suspicion is a matter of opinion"

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos