Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

godbless
Topic Author

Ever Seen An Airsicknessbag Used During Flight?

Fri Aug 15, 2003 3:22 am

I would say nearly every or if not even every airline supplies their seats with airsicknessbags.
Have you ever experienced a passenger using them during flight? I mean now for the purpose they were made for, so it does not count if they have been used as garbage bag or so...

On my so far 87 flights I have just experienced it once. That was a few weeks ago when I flew PAD-STN on Air Berlin. The lady using it sat right behind me and it did sound disgusting...

What did you experience?

Max

Matt D

RE: Ever Seen An Airsicknessbag Used During Flight?

Fri Aug 15, 2003 3:38 am

Yes.

On a Continental Express ATR-42 between EWR-PHL. Flight was a bit bumpy.

Airdolomiti

Fri Aug 15, 2003 3:46 am

No, and I don't want to!  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

Federico

aa61hvy

Fri Aug 15, 2003 3:46 am

Yes.

Well kind of, I was pretending to get sick in it..
Go big or go home

Chi-town

Fri Aug 15, 2003 3:47 am

Yes, my brother. AA ORD-MIA. Rough descent into MIA

Fri Aug 15, 2003 3:52 am

Nope, but I have seen seatbacks, traytables, Flight Attendants, fellow passengers, windows, walls, and aisles used as air sickness bags!

ACEregular

Fri Aug 15, 2003 3:56 am

Yeah I saw it on my flight back from ACE into NCL. It was on a Spanair A321, bumpy the whole way back for 4 hrs. the woman opposite filled 2 bags then spent the remainder of the flight until approach even though the seatbelt sign was on, in the toilet. Vile.

[Edited 2003-08-14 21:01:54]

AA777MIA

Fri Aug 15, 2003 4:01 am

Yes on alot of occasions, and have also seen them not even use a bag and hose the cabin and everyone sitting around them. Like Linda Blair in The Exorcist!

AlitaliaORD

Fri Aug 15, 2003 4:04 am

sort of, on a flight on ATA from DEN to MDW, i was lucky enough to have a used one that wasnt disposed in my seatback pocket.
Joy To The World, All The Boys and Girls, Joy to the Fishes in the Deep Blue Sea, Joy to You and Me

bigphilnyc

Fri Aug 15, 2003 4:07 am

I used one in 1990 on CO DEN-LGA while landing during a tornado warning.

We were the last plane to land before the airport closed.

I usually HATE vomitting, but because it was on a plane, it was almost kinda cool.

I was clean and nice about it. I sealed the bag and placed it on the floor for the F/A to retrieve later.

Regards

-Phil
Phil Derner Jr.

MD80Nut

Fri Aug 15, 2003 4:10 am

Seen them used, hell, I've used them a couple of times myself!

The first time I was on a Piedmont 737-200 and we went through some very serious turbulence on approach to Miami from Dayton, Ohio. I never knew a 737's wings could flex like that! Just as the landing gear started to come out I barfed into the bag.

The second time I was on a Midway Dornier Do228 on a commuter flight from Grand Rapids to Chicago's Midway airport, the whole flight we were in a snowstorm. Just before landing I couldn't hold it anymore and vomited into the bag. The roughest flight by far I've ever been on.

At least I got it in the bag! Big grin
Fly Douglas Jets DC-8 / DC-9 / DC-10 / MD80 / MD11 / MD90 / 717

m717

Fri Aug 15, 2003 4:23 am

Way back when....

I was working for this operator who had just switched from BE-99s and EMB-110s to brand spanking new Metro IIIs. They didn't want people puking all over their new airplanes, so they added a sentence into the passenger briefing reminding people that there were sick-sacks provided in the seat back pocket should the need arise.

I wasn't sure that even mentioning the air sick bags was such a good idea, but since the company was making such a big deal about wanting us to call their attention to them, maybe we should make SURE they knew about them by making an announcement that went something like this:

"Folks, we also want to call your attention to the sick-sacks in the seat back pockets. Should you feel the urge to VOMIT please VOMIT in the bag provided for your VOMIT. Do not VOMIT on the seats or in the seat back pockets. Please do not VOMIT on your neighbor. Please do not VOMIT on our brand new aircraft interior. Please VOMIT in the bags..."

By this time, we figured everyone on board was definitely aware of the air sick bags, since the power of suggestion had caused 19 people to urgently seek out these bags.  Big thumbs up

Paulianer

Fri Aug 15, 2003 4:24 am

Yes indeed, only on one flight out of 60+, but several times then...

Flew LHR-EWR with BA 777 on September 11th 2002. It was a very very bumpy approach and due to traffic and strong winds we had to fly holding patterns for at least 20 minutes... after 10 minutes or so the first pax began to ...urrrggghh, and then one after another... That was a smell in the cabin after landing that I'll never forget. I think after deboarding the plane there were 20 bags or so, of course all used for what they've made for  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

Can anyone beat that???

Greetings
Tobi
Tobias Rose - Hamburg (HAM/EDDH) & (XFW/EDHI) - Canon EOS D60 - ICQ: 235621277 - MSN: [email protected]

tommy767

Fri Aug 15, 2003 4:44 am

These are some interesting stories!

Once it was me. I was flying EWR-SAN (757, CO) in 1996, when I was in the 3rd grade. I vomited 2wice, once during the flight, and once during landing. I apparently had a stomach virus. I forgot to vomit in the bag, so it was all in a CO blanket! ARGH!

2003 AA 757 from CO / KMCO), USA - Florida">MCO-JFK. Someone 5 fows back vomited in the isle. No smell, no prob. F/A was quick in cleaning it up.

My friend told me about a story on Delta PHL-ATL, and a pregnant woman vomited on her way back to the bathroom. He told me it was horrible.

Cheers! Tommy!
"KEEP CLIMBING" -- DELTA

andersjt

Fri Aug 15, 2003 4:56 am

This is not the most stimulating of topics, but I do have a story to share from back in my days as an F/A with the original Frontier.

The worst - Christmas Eve day 1984. I was working a morning flight from SLC to DEN (737-200). Back in those days we served a full meal on those flights. Christmas means a lot of families with children. Even with the rough turbulence over the Rockies we served the breakfast. By the end of the flight, we had tagged 23 seats where there were used air sickness bags.
Oh how I long for the day when the skies were truly Friendly!

Vimanav

Fri Aug 15, 2003 5:03 am

Yes yeeeaauuugghhhhh !!!!! I hope never to see that sight again:

We were a group of 13 on a Scenic Air Twin Otter, doing an aerial sightseeing of the Grand Canyon. Most were not used to the small aircraft and when the plane was continuously buffeted by updrafts and downdrafts, at least 10 threw up the break fast they had shortly before take off (with most of the stuff beating the Air sickness bags). The plane was a mess, my group looked filthy and as the tour guide I had the rather nasty job of rounding up the bunch and getting them to a washroom at the first airport we landed !!!

Pretty horrid.
Sarfaroshi kii tamannaa ab hamaare dil mein hai, Dekhnaa hai zor kitnaa baazu-e-qaatil mein hai

cancidas

Fri Aug 15, 2003 5:08 am

i had seen what happens to a plane when one isn't used. i was in Poland one summer at the local aeroclub where we were providing flights in one of our planes. well two drunk guys decided to go fly and there was no way to convince them out of it. you can imagine the rest. enjoy.

i hope no one is eating while reading this!  Smile/happy/getting dizzy
"...cannot the kingdom of salvation take me home."

Chgoan

Fri Aug 15, 2003 5:16 am

Oh yes.....

I remember when i was 4th grade my sister, dad, and i were flying from ORH-SFO via EWR and on trancontiental flight i got really sick....for a six hour flight i could not stop throwing up. we think i had the flu, but man...that was torture...i so wanted off that Continental DC-10....i mean i wanted to be on it, but not while i was so sick.

i remember using them a few other times when i was a kid...i would get all worked up and get sick.

now....no problem....sometimes i like the turbulence and bumpy rides....

N243NW

Fri Aug 15, 2003 5:31 am

In the summer of 1997 when I was flying NW to SEA I threw up on the ride downtown from the airport. It was a whole day of flying combined with a car accident a few minutes earlier and traffic jams on a hot Seattle day that set it off. Luckily, we had a plastic bag ready! The drive, which normally took 1hr, took us more than 2 on that day. The trip was definitely worth it!
-N243NW Big grin
B-52s don't take off. They scare the ground away.

ben

Fri Aug 15, 2003 5:49 am

Only used one once in the 1st flight in a glider.

I always keep them for my pax... 3 in my kneeboard and lots more in the cabin bag.

Almost had a very delicious Russian lady use one last weekend. Instead, I got her to do some of the flying from the right hand seat and it completely fixed her (that's the trick to stop air-sickness and sea-sickness.. get the person to hold the controls/tiller).

Didn't get me into her pants tho...  Sad

aa61hvy

Fri Aug 15, 2003 6:31 am

I forgot!!

I was on AA MD80 ACA-DFW, I felt like crap that whole day (Mexican water I think) and I puked in the toliet (luckily) and was in there for like 25 mins...

Wasn't in front of anyone unfortunatly.
Go big or go home

WesternDC1010

Fri Aug 15, 2003 6:36 am

Unfortunately yes.

1) On a Mexicana flight from LAX to MZT, some children sitting ahead of us used them, one but missed and was sick all over the seat.

2) On a Southwest flight from LAX to LAS, the young woman sitting next to me used it quite repeatedly and had to use an additional bag.

Oh how it's quite disgusting smelling that in closed confines.

- Ron
Western DC-10-10
Western Airlines - The Only Way To Fly

Korg747

Fri Aug 15, 2003 6:48 am

Yes two times my self,

1- Kuwait airways A340-300. I don't know what was happnening out side but at the end, about 4 min before landing, everyone around me was waaaaaahhhh! and yes every single one around me( I think it was like 40 people)

2-Kuwait airways A340-300. same thing but this times it was only a few of us. the flight was really bad! even though it was a beautiful day! but I remeber using the bag three times!

that's pretty much it! its really a bad feeling!
Please excuse my English!

jeffie813

Fri Aug 15, 2003 7:04 am

i never get sick on airliners, and after 200+ flights, i have yet to see anyone use one.

however, i was taking flight lessons in a 152 in the summertime in florida, practicing stalls. after three of them, i lost my lunch. i didn't puke in the cockpit; i kind of turned around and spewed it all over the rear window. not pretty. and the smell....god i never want to experience that again.

flymia

Fri Aug 15, 2003 7:16 am

once landing in Watson Island some British tourist group and two were using it. It is very rought going in to Watson lots of turns and decent. It fun for me!
"It was just four of us on the flight deck, trying to do our job" (Captain Al Haynes)

dispatch

Fri Aug 15, 2003 7:31 am

Only to get my films developed.......

Also read https://www.airliners.net/discussions/general_aviation/read.main/1160798/ on this development Big grin

Peter

Fri Aug 15, 2003 7:38 am

Oh yeah!

It was the window passenger, and he couldn't get out of the row in time. This was June 1981, just before the Air Controller strike, flying MSP to SFO on Northwest Airlines, and the plane was packed. The guy in the F seat was a Stanford University football player who couldn't handle the stuffed manicotti and red wine luncheon we'd had. He stood and stumbled. I was in the middle seat and ripped out my airsick bag. The young guy filled it to the brim. There was just enough room to fold down the top.

The bulging bag was pleasantly warm, but I tried to pass it off to the flight attendant anyway as she passed. She shot me a "not while I'm living" look, so I took it to the rear restroom myself and emptied it.

That trip included my first ever visit to Berkeley, and the rest of the visit was equally as eventful.  Smokin cool

Northwesta319

Fri Aug 15, 2003 7:47 am

MDW-LIT,

had the stomach flu in the morning but had to get down to Arkansas for a funeral. I threw up and then my mom saw which made her throw up. I was in the bathroom in LIT for 20 minutes, and the f/a gave me some extra bags that I used in the airport shuttle.

ScarletHarlot

Fri Aug 15, 2003 7:59 am

Did it myself, once, and very nearly twice.

I was nine years old and flying on Nordair to Toronto from Thunder Bay, with a stop in Sault Ste. Marie. The Soo was snowed in, but we tried anyway, and aborted a landing. I promptly puked, mostly into the bag, but also on my lap. My poor mom had to deal with me.

I very nearly tossed my cookies on a flight a couple of years ago from Minneapolis to Thunder Bay. I remember bouncing around as we lined up on approach. I could see the city lights, and I kept saying to myself "not far now, just hold on". I had a couple of retches but no results, thank goodness.

On my trip back home to Seattle from Toronto August 4, I was standing near the back lavs stretching my legs when a FA came back and told another FA that he needed bags for someone further up in the plane. Didn't experience any smell or sight of that one, thank goodness.
But that was when I ruled the world

tranceport

Fri Aug 15, 2003 8:40 am

On a rough descent into MEX on an American Airliners flight from DFW to MEX, I lasted until we were deplaning. Halfway up the jetway in MEX it just wasn't gonna stay down anymore. There I stood hurking like there was no tomorrow as people cautiously slid around me. WELCOME TO MEXICO CITY!!!!

AS737900

Fri Aug 15, 2003 8:47 am

Personally I have had the need to use one once aboard an AS MD-80 from SNA-SEA with a stop in OAK in 1993 or so. However, it is probably a good thing I didn't use it since the amount that came out was quite a bit more than the bag could've handled... so I went to the bathroom instead. Bad turbulence combined with a bad case of food poisoning meant that the bathroom had to be cleaned by special crews when we landed in OAK... Embarrassment But I was too sick to even care and I made it to SEA just fine.

As far as someone else, I have seen that once. My friend on a Beaver floatplane when we were returning to Metlakatla from Prince of Wales Island during a school trip. (I miss those days in southeast Alaska) Gusty 45 knot headwinds just didn't agree with him on this day.  Smile

gr8slvrflt

Fri Aug 15, 2003 8:48 am

New Years Day morning, 2003. A woman actually filled one bag and was starting on a second when I got to her. I grabbed the full (open) bag and RAN to the forward lav hoping to God it wouldn't burst before I got there!
I work for Southwest, but the views expressed are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Southwest.

britman

Fri Aug 15, 2003 9:19 am

yes....it was me that used it, i was flying on a Bmi airbus A320 from Manchester uk to Faro portugal four days after the NYC attacks so i was a bit nervy,the flight itself was superb until the landing,the aircraft was just about to hit the runway when the pilot opened up full thrust and took a rather steep climb and sharp left,i felt awful,went very dizzy,the passengers on the plane were very quiet,then up it came and into the bag,not very nice. The pilot later came on to apologise for his actions and explained that he had to as there was another jet on the runway at faro.

upsmd11

Fri Aug 15, 2003 10:11 am

3 times I've seen it, and twice from the same woman.

1st time: MDW - SDF during a VERY rough flight with tornado warnings in the area, etc. This was a WN 737-200 and the guy sitting next to the window must have been out drinking all night. The vomit that came out of his mouth into the F/A trash bag, not the air sickness bag, smelled like alcohol.

2nd/3rd time: PDX - ORD during a pretty normal flight. UA 757 and the woman on the opposite aisle from me just was sick, couldn't get the bag out in time and threw up on the aisle, my pants leg and other people around us. The F/A's were great in helping her and cleaning up the mess -- except for my pants. It took them about 5 minutes to get me a rag to wipe up my pants. The same woman then threw up again as we landed at a very windy ORD. This time she had a bag and made it in it.

John

wedgetail737

Fri Aug 15, 2003 10:17 am

Once...on a Cathay Pacific flight back to SFO from YVR. A young girl got sick right next to me.

wedgetail737

Fri Aug 15, 2003 10:17 am

Once...on a Cathay Pacific flight back to SFO from YVR. A young girl got sick right next to me.

Mike77

Fri Aug 15, 2003 10:31 am

In March 2001, I was flying on a UA 737-500 from LAS-SFO. Literally as soon as we lifted off from LAS, a woman began making gagging noises and ran towards the back lavatory(I was seated a couple rows from the back). She didn't make it, and instead threw up in the galley. We all had to sit there listening to her for about 5 minutes. The F/A's were rushing around in the back. A few minutes later, the woman walked back towards her seat - I assume she thought she was okay - and then dashed towards the back again to throw up. This is when the crew began to serve drinks and snacks. I certainly had no appetite. About 20 minutes into the flight she seemed to be fine and went back to her seat with an air-sickness bag.

In March 2000, I was flying from SFO-ATL on a DL 767-300. In mid-flight, a 20-something guy threw up on the seat in front of him and in the aisle. A F/A rushed to his seat with a trash bag and he continued to vomit in it. He went to the back of the plane and I didn't see or hear him again during the trip. It was the morning after St.Patrick's Day and he and his buddies were pretty rowdy. I think they had had a night of drinking.

In July 1991, on an Air New Zealand 747-400 from Auckland-LAX, I was walking the cabin to stretch my legs and came upon vomit in the aisle. I don't know whose it was or anything about it. It was just there. I stepped over it. About 15 minutes later on my way back, it was still there. Weird!

I am am literally nauseated after reading these posts. How disgusting! Time to check out some other topics!! Ick!!  Smile

MICHAEL

airsicknessbag

Fri Aug 15, 2003 3:30 pm

You know, I feel a bit offended by this topic´s header.

Smile/happy/getting dizzy  Big grin  Wink/being sarcastic

Daniel Smile

langfordkyle

Fri Aug 15, 2003 5:05 pm

Yes,
Two people on a flight from PHL-HPN. Very turbulent that day On US Air, especially on a DHC Dash 8

BDRules

Fri Aug 15, 2003 8:32 pm

Me on every flight i took between 1990 and 1999. I was a rough flyer. Not anymore tho. I am much better so about 30 flights

SQ325

Fri Aug 15, 2003 8:37 pm

I flew FRA-KTW and we experienced moderate turbulences for nearly 45 minutes.
From our 80+ Passengers we finally had about 20 used airsicknessbags!

Andreas

Fri Aug 15, 2003 9:05 pm

Oh yes I did!!
B 737, LH flight XXX (don't remember), STR-TXL a few years ago, on Christmas day.

Was the last flight out of STR before a biiig storm broke...and I sure know why STR was closed down!!!

It was a fascinating experience during the first 20 minutes into the flight. take-off like a racecar with revved-up engines before the aircraft started to roll, and then...a rollercoaster is a kid's toy as compared to that!!! About a third of the pax used the bags, quite noisily, fortunately not me, as a rollercoaster expert I don't really care about these bumps, but that noise nearly made me NOT wanting the christmas dinner that night!!

btw. Daniel, he said "AN airsicknessbag" so he didn't specifically wanted to use YOU!!  Innocent  Innocent  Innocent
I know it's only VfB but I like it!

A330Fan1

Fri Aug 15, 2003 9:16 pm

I have used air-sickness bags before, on several occassions. One, I was about 2 years old and I was flying with my family on a family trip to India from LA. I threw up in the bag (or attempted to  Smile) on a Singapore Airlines flight, I think either from LA-Tokyo or LA-Taipei. I also had to use one when I was 7, on another trip to India...this time, it was an Air India A310 nonstop from Singapore --> Calcutta...the plane smelt so bad and awful, and I think that contributed to my throw up...from then on, I never threw up on an airplane again...but I came so close...on a Swiss Intl Air Lines flight (just in August 2002!!!) from Zurich --> Mumbai, I held it in front of me and could feel it coming up my throat but I fortunately prevented it...we were landing in heavy rains and the plane was shifting soooooooo much it was unbelievable...

-Regards

A330Fan1

Fri Aug 15, 2003 9:22 pm

And I forgot the time a small girl threw up on my mom, sitting next to me in the very back row of a United A319 or A320 flying from PHL - LAX in the evening...she had gone back to the FAs to request a bag, and she couldn't hold it...luckily, I had the window seat and my mom had the center seat, and she threw up on the aisle seat.

-A330Fan1

Delboy

Fri Aug 15, 2003 11:27 pm

Was flying between elo Horizonte and Rio on a TAM F27. We bumped into a mother of a storm, a lady in the seat across the aisle chucked up but managed to get it in the sick bag, only for the steward to drop said bag when the aircraft was shook by another breeze.

I watched the bag fall to the floor (it seemed to be in slow motion) whereupon it seemed to explode on impact. All them carrots..........

raven111

Fri Aug 15, 2003 11:44 pm

In 1987 I was on an Eastern DC-9 from Pensacola to ATL. We had to fly around a tropical storm and the flight was VERY bumpy. An elderly woman was sitting next to me and I saw her pull the bag out of the seat pocket and then a few mins. later the bag was in use. I thought I was going to need to use one after hearing that.
"The secret to my success is that I always managed to live to fly another day." Chuck Yeager

godbless
Topic Author

Sun Aug 17, 2003 2:22 am

I didn't know that using them was so common. Well I guess now I know better. Laugh out loud

Max

cancidas

Sun Aug 17, 2003 2:34 am

Didn't get me into her pants tho...

tragic...  Nuts

does making them fly the plane themselves really work?
"...cannot the kingdom of salvation take me home."

tekelberry

Sun Aug 17, 2003 2:35 am

No, and I don't want to!

Ditto! Big grin

ME AVN FAN

Sun Aug 17, 2003 2:37 am

Once on an EI flight JFK-SNN. The crew even had to supply replacement bags by the dozens.