Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Nine-Eleven Resolution

Wed Aug 20, 2003 11:28 pm

I was thinking about something this morning and wanted to post my thoughts here to see what the rest of you guys (and gals) think.

Do you know anyone who said they would never fly again after 9-11 and have kept that promise to date? I was going to limit those in question to frequent flyers, but since most of those travel for business, I will include anyone you know who made at least three trips a year (business, pleasure or otherwise)...

I only know of three people that have said they would never fly again, two of them have not flown since and one HAD to for a funeral.

Thoughts, questions, cheap-shots?

GT_737

andersjt

RE: Nine-Eleven Resolution

Wed Aug 20, 2003 11:47 pm

On 9/11/2001, if I wanted to fly somewhere, I could not because that choice was taken away from me. I made the resolution that I would fly on every 9/11 after that.

Last year, my 9/11 my routing was ABQ-DEN-ORD-IAD-LAX, this year I have just booked LAX-SFO on (9/10) and on 9/11 SFO-ORD-IAD-DEN-LAX. It's a long day, and United better hold to their on-time performance record, but its something I can do for myself and for my favorite airline.

Oh how I long for the day when the skies were truly Friendly!

N6376M

Thu Aug 21, 2003 12:20 am

I can't ever see a 9/11 like even ever happening again (at least in the US). Passengers are simply not going to allow anyone to take control of an airplane. I fly regularly and never worry about anyone taking over the plane.

While we're on the subject, I think that 9/11 has been used by various interest groups to push through their agendas on the basis of public hysteria and not logic. For example, the common conception that there was a failure of security screening that allowed 9/11 to occur is simply wrong.

The fact of the matter is that pre-9/11 the box cutter type of knives that were used by the terrorist were allowable as carry on items (I believe the rule was blades less than 2.5 inches were OK). Security screeners were not supposed to stop intercept such objects --> therefore the fact that they didn't isn't a failure of the screeners but of the process. It seems to me that we need to fix the process not add more screeners.

We've created a 60,000 person organization, who is intent on using newly created procedures to circumvent common logic. They've passed rules that say you can't have a dull metal knife for your meal but a metal knife is OK. What's the logic there?

The TSA is a bloated bureaucracy that does not effectively improve security because at least half of its focus is on preventing a repeat of what already occurred and not looking forward to what other risks are out there. As a member of the flying public, I don't worry about terrorist taking over my flight, I worry about an explosive device in unscreened cargo that is allowed into the hold of the aircraft I'm on and I worry about man portable SAM's.

The TSA needs to stop worrying about what has happened and start looking at preventing the next big thing. It's the difference between driving while looking in the rearview mirror and driving with your eyes on the horizon. Until we do so, we'll be at risk.

ntspelich

Thu Aug 21, 2003 12:58 am

Amen.

Well said, N6376M.

NS
United 717 heavy, you're facing the wrong way. Any chance you can powerback to get off of my deice pad?

jhooper

Thu Aug 21, 2003 2:33 am

We have better security now than we did before 9/11; not because of TSA but because of more aware passengers and crew.
Last year 1,944 New Yorkers saw something and said something.

Ex NWA

Thu Aug 21, 2003 3:05 am

My wife pledged never to fly again after 9/11 (living in DC area on 9/11 so I understood her fears) and she went 1 and a half years without flying until our move to ABQ required her to fly a couple times recently. She commented how safe she felt and we are flying back to DC again labor day weekend. I really think the reason she is not opposed to flying is we drove from DC to ABQ (1880 miles) and she never wants to experience that again!!

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos