Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

ntspelich
Topic Author

Trying To Figure Out MetroJet Route Map

Thu Aug 21, 2003 2:14 am

I was trying to figure out the old MetroJet route system before US canned it by retiring their 732's a couple years back. After doing some searching on the internet, I was unable to find any old timetables or route maps, so I hope someone here could help me out.

So far, I've figured out that they flew to:
IAD, MCO, TPA, BWI, PVD, MIA, MDW, CLE, ALB, FLL, LGA, ATL, BOS, RSW, PBI, CLT, SYR, RDU, BDL, and, of course, MHV.

Is this it for cities?

I take it that it was mainly point to point traffic, but what about the heavy concentration at IAD, BWI and BOS? Fed by traditional US traffic heading towards Florida, or was there a MetroJet network similar to US Shuttle?

Thanks for any help,
NS
United 717 heavy, you're facing the wrong way. Any chance you can powerback to get off of my deice pad?

aa757first

RE: Trying To Figure Out MetroJet Route Map

Thu Aug 21, 2003 2:38 am

Ntspelich,

I have a November 1998 MetroJet timetable. I'll write it in.

THEY SERVED: BWI, BOS, CLE, FLL, Hartford, Jacksonville, Manchester, MIA, MSY, MCO, Providence, and Tampa.

FROM BWI:
CLE
FLL
Jacksonville
Manchester
MIA
MSY
MCO
Providence
Tampa

FROM BOS
Tampa

FROM CLE
BWI
FLL
Jacksonville
Manchester
MIA
MSY
MCO
Providence
Tampa

FROM FLL
BWI
CLE
Manchester
Providence

FROM HARTSFIELD
Tampa

FROM JACKSONVILLE
BWI
CLE
Manchester
Providence

FROM MANCHESTER
BWI
CLE*
FLL*
Jacksonville*
MIA*
MSY*
MCO*
Tampa*

FROM MIA
BWI
CLE*
Manchester*
Providence*

FROM MSY
BWI
CLE*
Manchester*
Providence*

FROM MCO
BWI
CLE*
Manchester*
Providence*

FROM PROVIDENCE
BWI
CLE*
FLL*
Jacksonville*
MIA*
MSY*
MCO*
Tampa*

FROM TAMPA
BWI
BOS
CLE*
Hartford
Manchester*
Providence*

* = Stop

Hope that wasn't to long or detailed! Remember that was Nov. 1998 so they may have expanded.

ScottB

Thu Aug 21, 2003 2:54 am

MetroJet also flew BWI-MKE and BWI-MSY for a period of time, and they also might have gone to JAX (I don't recall for certain).

Your confusion about MetroJet's strategy isn't too surprising, given that IMHO US Airways amanagement didn't really have a clue what its strategy was, either. At the time of its initial rollout, MetroJet basically matched Southwest route-for-route out of BWI to PVD, MHT, CLE, TPA, MCO, FLL, etc. In 1998, US was still the largest carrier at BWI by a substantial margin, but Southwest was growing quickly and US wanted to protect the remnants of the BWI hub acquired as part of the Piedmont merger. To some degree, I think US Airways management was correct in recognizing the threat which a large Southwest operation at BWI could pose to their entire East Coast system; I also feel, however, that MetroJet simply wasn't an effective solution to the problem, given its relatively high costs and potential to cannibalize US's weak hubs at PIT and CLT. Moreover, flying to places like ATL, SYR, MKE, and IAD (which had little low-fare competition) only served to further confuse the strategy. Routes were started and ended willy-nilly, and the ASM cost was still comparable to or higher than the mainline, which was already the highest of the majors. I don't think it was ever intended to be anything like the Shuttle, though.

flyCMH

Thu Aug 21, 2003 3:24 am

MetroJet also flew between CMH and IAD for a year or two. I think they had 3 daily flights between the two cities. In 1999, MetroJet announced twice-daily service between CMH and both MKE and BOS, but there service never commenced, and the gradual dismantling of MetroJet started. According to my Oct. 2, 1999 route map, MJ flew to the following locations:

BOS
MHT
PVD
ALB
BDL
ROC
BUF
MKE
MDW
CLE
CMH
STL
IAD
DCA
RDU
ATL
BHM
MSY
JAX
MCO
TPA
RSW
PBI
FLL
MIA

flyboy7974

Thu Aug 21, 2003 4:36 am

yeah, don't forget when they tried to open ops in iad, and flew to bhm, msy, and other smaller cities that only lasted for a couple of months or so

Cody

Thu Aug 21, 2003 7:13 am

I truly believe there was no rime or reason to it either. I remember initially BWI was the focal point, then IAD and BWI together, then the focus shifted to LGA of all places. It was a mess. I had to non-rev on them when I was trying to make the last Delta L1011 flight. Everything to MCO was full so I flew mainline from PIT to PHL to BOS an then jumped on MetroJet nonstop to MCO. Suprisingly, we had better service on MetroJet than the mainline flights. They served "MetroFare", a small red box containing beef jerky, turkey jerky, cheese and crackers. To this day, every once in while I will bump into a big box of MetroFare in USAirways ops at locations along the east coast. I guess they are saving them for MetroJet when they start back up again. Just kidding I hope!

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos