Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

csavel

RE: Airline Most In Need Of Livery Change?

Tue Aug 26, 2003 8:20 am

My 2 centavos. Note that I often wear two different color socks and don't realize it. Thus *not* the guy whom you should regard as a tastemaker.

Those most in need of update
American
keep the bare metal, but an American Eagle like variation on the tail would do the trick.

United
A better look would be a modern variation on the 70s theme, just the right amount of retro combined with 21st century. At any rate lose the two-tone U that still looks like a W to me.

PIA
The green looks awfully depressing on these birds for some reason.

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Johan Kellerman
View Large View Medium

Photo © Art Brett

AmericaWest
Elements that may look good alone (painted engines, logos on a patterned tail) miss for some reason here.

View Large View Medium

Photo © Michael Carter

Disagreements:
Air France
Their design which came out in 75 or 76, I think, was the first "white Eurojet" variation and when you first saw it in the 70s, it blew you away! It was so undeniably French, so chic, in the way a Citroen, Parisian fashion, Edith Piaf, or escargots, or fine cheese was so French. Living in Queens under the flight path for JFK, it made me daydream about International Travel, where I would grow up and go to exotic destinations and have hot, sexy French stewardesses feeding me delicious food and great wine, and then maybe feeding me themselves. OK, so that part never worked out, but I can stare at that llivery for days and the memories flood back. To me that is more timeless than any other.

View Large View Medium

Photo © Johan Ljungdahl

Southwest
Ugly. No doubt about it, but that is its value. I believe its very ugliness is intended to send a calculated message. It screams, "let the majors worry about liveries and images, we're gonna fly you from point A to point B cheaply and in reasonably good humor. You want image and a spiffy tail on your plane? Then prepare to pay, sucker!"

I may be ugly. I may be an American. But don't call me an ugly American.

flymia

Tue Aug 26, 2003 9:03 am

Air France needs to. I like United and Us Airways. They are only 10 years old.

Americans will never change. I love it its just so American.
"It was just four of us on the flight deck, trying to do our job" (Captain Al Haynes)

Motorhussy

Tue Aug 26, 2003 9:33 am

1/ Singapore Airlines

This livery is looking tired and has been around too long. SQ did a few special colour schemes which looked like they were heading in the right direction, but they haven't heeded those changes for their entire fleet yet.

View Large View Medium

Photo © Tibor Mester

View Large View Medium

Photo © Andrew Hunt
View Large View Medium

Photo © Alexander Kueh

2/ TAP - Transport Air Portugal

If SQ's is looking tired, this colour scheme looks like it's in a coma. They need to renew this with more fluid and flowing lines and a refresher of the colour pallette.

View Large View Medium

Photo © Robert Sjödell

View Large View Medium

Photo © Tom Turner
View Large View Medium

Photo © Tomás Coelho

Somebody suggested an update to Air India's livery. I think that maybe a small tweak would be beneficial, but overrall the Air India livery has captured the essence of the sub-continent, the mystique of the Orient and the romance of travel that is mostly lost in this commoditised world. Same with American Airlines - it's just very American so why change it.
come visit the south pacific

NWAA330
Topic Author

RE:Airline Most In Need Of Livery Change?

Tue Aug 26, 2003 10:47 am

Great replies everyone. I have to say though the one thing that really bugs me is livries that make an aircraft look old its first day in service, and I don't think any airline does this better than Air India. Motorhussy made a good comment about how they capture the essence of India but I take one look at one of their a/c and it just looks OLD. Eithiopian and all mainland Chinese carriers have the same effect. Cant stand it. What does everyone think?

Regards,
NWAA330
To Fly is to Live.

NW747-400

Tue Aug 26, 2003 10:59 am

Air France...what a piece of poop. Their colors take away from the airplanes...BIG TIME. AF has so any gorgeous aircraft, and they deserve attention and a touch of class...not subtleness and boredom.

kjet12

Tue Aug 26, 2003 11:11 am

I think United's is fine, but it doesen't fit into their new image with the blue and silver, nor with it's new interiors. I think when finances allow, we will be seeing a new UA livery.

Kris
AA - Doing what we do best.

Midway2AirTran

Tue Aug 26, 2003 11:30 am

I have to agree with Western737 that UA is a bit depressing, especially in the condition that the airline is in now. The scheme now looked good in the past but they need something brighter now! DL's white with beach-blanket tails are a little odd too, never could figure out much symbolizm with it, does anyone know what it is supposed to represent?

Srbmod, the AirTran 717's are a off-white color off the line, not tan, as with the DC-9s. Personally I like the off-white compared with the old tan color.
"Life is short, but your delay in ATL is not."

CRJ'sRule

Wed Aug 27, 2003 5:05 am

Aeromexico's livery, without a doubt, needs to go. It looks like American's but without the red white and blue color lines that at least make it somewhat tolerable.

Thai's livey is getting mighty old too as is Air France's, with their dreadfully boring tail's and body's.

United, while having colors on it, just seems downright depressing and blah.

Aeroflot's Soviet leftovers are pretty awful, but i heard they just got a new color scheme out. Does anybody know what it's supposed to be like?

BeltwayBandit

Wed Aug 27, 2003 5:20 am

Southwest. Yeah, I know it's supposed to be ugly, but the joke is over. That "dipped in peanut butter" scheme is so damn ugly. It's just proof that nobody really cares what the planes look like.

N766UA

Wed Aug 27, 2003 5:33 am

Southwest's new colors are beautiful, as are AAs colors. I hope American never changes their scheme in any major way.

As for CO, they just updated their logo and livery 10 years ago. It takes several years to repaint a fleet. Why change the new colors when you've only recently completed changing the old scheme?

Airlines should keep their liveries for at least 10-15 years before change, regardless of if us aviation nuts are bored of them. DL changed theirs twice in 2 years... now that's rediculous.

airways6max

Wed Aug 27, 2003 6:32 am

There are a good many airlines who could improve their image. Here are a few that I think have room for improvement.

Delta's current color scheme with the mostly white fuselage looks dull and unoriginal. It hardly stands out on the tarmac. Delta should bring back the widget logo or some variation and give its color scheme a more distinctive, original look.

View Large View Medium

Photo © Joseph K Wagner

Continental had a great color scheme in the 1970s and '80s with the red and gold. They should have come up with some variation of the red and gold.

View Large View Medium

Photo © Vincent de Koning
View Large View Medium

Photo © George W. Hamlin

American Airlines color scheme is now very old hat. It has been around since the late '60s. Thirty five years is just too long for any color scheme. If any airline needs an image makeover, it is American. I would recommend a dark blue fuselage with a red stripe running the length of the aircraft with gold accents and a gold stylized eagle's wing for a logo.

View Large View Medium

Photo © TriplET

USAir had a winning color scheme in the 1980s with the tri-tone red. It was very unique, really stood out on the tarmac and was a classic. It fit on any and every aircraft and had a good many years use left when it was dropped fifteen years ago.

View Large View Medium

Photo © Torsten Maiwald

British Airways had a winning color scheme with the dark blue and gray in the 1980s. It really captured the essence of the country that the airline represented and it had a typically imposing, British look at airports.

View Large View Medium

Photo © Andrew Hunt

The newer color scheme was just weird. I agreed with Margaret Thatcher when she called it 'awful.'

SPLOBKrakow

Mon Sep 08, 2003 11:13 am

One of the main topic that came out of this question was LOT's livery. Just wanted to make a few coments regarding what was said. First off LOT's livery is ver nice, classy, clean, but at the same time a bit different, which makes it all the better. This brings me to the comments by EMIRATES345... if you compare the livery of the Emirate's fleet to LOT's fleet you will see some definite SIMILARITIES. However the main differe is that the EMirate planes look a bit, no sorry they look very taky. Gold is nice , and i personally don't mind wearing a gold chain or ring, but if i was designing the livery for airlines i would definatelly not incorporate the gold.

How many people agree:
The Emirates livery is similar to LOT's ????

tbear815

Mon Sep 08, 2003 11:54 am

NW's new c/s looks like a high-tech bathroom to me - don't ask me why, maybe the gray looks like a metallic sink. UA does need some change, but it still is a professional look. As for the different Chinese carriers, look at British Asia's tail - get the inspiration from that. Classic and makes a statement.

View Large View Medium

Photo © Alexander Kueh

cgagn

Mon Sep 08, 2003 12:04 pm

Absoultely Air France needs a change. Must be hard to see their planes in snowy climates! And Singapore and Kuwait Airways are getting a little old and boring. And how about Westjet? With all their new 737NG planes, a slightly flashier image might be welcome.
Widebodies flown on:A330-300,A340-300,A380-800,747-400,767-200ER,767-300ER,777-200A,777-200ER,777-200LR,777-300ER,787-9

SunValley

Mon Sep 08, 2003 12:08 pm

While the wildlife scenes on the tails of Frontier are unique, that silver
F R O N T I E R on the fuselage is the most unattractive piece of pop art I have ever seen. And to think they paid a firm in Denver almost $800,000 to come up with that astounds me.

FLIBOYZ

Mon Sep 08, 2003 12:24 pm

In desperate need of a livery change:

United Airlines
USAirways
Air India
Northwest(Don't even like there *NEW* color scheme) Horendous
Air Tran(Try something else but GREEN and BEIGE
Frontier(Don't like the BOLD lettering that covers almost the whole aircraft)
Jet Blue(B for BORING)
Southwest(TOO FLASHY)
British Airways(Bring back some of the old scheme)
Virgin(*SHRIEK*)
America West(HMMMM)
Air Portugal
Ryan Air
Korean Air
Air France
Fiji Air
Aeroflot

The ones I do like:

American(should paint it all back like the retros looked)
Aloha(retro and the latest)
Hawaiian
Air Tahiti Nui
Continental
Delta(The latest color scheme)
Qantas
Singapore

Alpha 1

Mon Sep 08, 2003 12:25 pm

Here's my take on the liveries of the U.S. Carriers:

-AA. Classic, simple, and very timeless.

-UA. I don't like the gray/blue over the dark blue. Their logo is a staple and a classic.

-DL. I like the new liver, with the flag on the tail: crisp, business-like, and professional.

-NW. Hated the gray and red. Hideous. I kind of like their new liver with "nwa" in lower case on the side.

-US. Can I throw up?

-Song. Keep that toilet bowl free, after commenting on US.

-JetBlue: Business-like, crisp, professional.

-WN. Again, I need that toilet bowl.

-CO. Who was the nut who said it was bad? It's business-like, professional and clean. And who liked the old meatball, and those old colors. They were hideous!!

The simpler the design, the more professional and timeless it is. All of you who can't stand these "boring" color schemes, and want to overdo everything, well, it's a good think you're not making the decisions for these airlines, that's for sure.

FLIBOYZ

Mon Sep 08, 2003 12:32 pm

Oh yeah:

SONG-HIDEOUS.....the fat lady already is done singing. YIKES

cancidas

Mon Sep 08, 2003 12:40 pm

when it comes to LOT, i think that modernising it would be nice. at most get rid of the line down the side of the plane. also, have it say only "Polskie Linie Lotnicze" on both side. Big grin [yea, like that'll happen.] i'd love to see someone come up with a newer design. maybe incorporating the Polish flag?

UAL, USAir, Delta (should have one finalized and agreed upon), American,
"...cannot the kingdom of salvation take me home."

CanadianNorth

Mon Sep 08, 2003 1:34 pm

Air Canada. I like a simple livery... but really when compared to some of the more creative liverys (ex. Canadi>n, Canadian North, First Air, etc. etc.) this does get to be a bit of a bore....

View Large View Medium

Photo © John Yu
View Large View Medium

Photo © Legolas Flix

View Large View Medium

Photo © Legolas Flix
View Large View Medium

Photo © Legolas Flix

CanadianNorth

HS-748, like a 747 but better!

KAL744

Mon Sep 08, 2003 1:57 pm

In my opinion:

Europe:

Lufthansa (should have more colour)
Condor (should go back to it's livery before)
Hapag Lloyd
Air France

Asia:

Air India
Japan Airlines (I liked the colours of the 90s with the red belt)

America:

American Airlines
United Airlines
Aeromexico
Aerolineas Argentinas (Most I liked the old colours, like the Iberia livery)

I like most:

KLM (new and old one)
Korean Air
Iberia
Qantas

[Edited 2003-09-08 07:09:04]
fly Korean Air ....

BCALPRIDE

Mon Sep 08, 2003 2:39 pm

Biman
Indian Airlines (Yuk!)
JAL (like the new tail...but the rest should revert)
Korean (looks like vomit)
Kuwait
American Airlines (keep the all meatal look. It's their trademark, but change the graphics)
PIA (very dull. I did like the few planes that had the 'green on green' islamic floral pattern)
Air Mauritius (doesn't say 'exotic island')
All the Chinese ones
All Nippon Airways

BN747

Mon Sep 08, 2003 3:09 pm

New JAL --hands down! The new paint job sux major ass..bring back the crane! And do anything with the fuselage than what's there now..it looks filthy!

United--Looks like the military owns them.

Deltaflot-- neat tail..but again..god awful fuselage!

HP-- keep the fuselage..do something with that tail!

Air France blows chunks too!

and Asiana....the international version of Southwest!

"Home of the Brave, made by the Slaves..Land of the Free, if you look like me.." T. Jefferson

canopus235

Mon Sep 08, 2003 8:15 pm

I really think that United has the worst livery out there at the moment. Those colors simply seem sad to me!

pouyazad

Mon Sep 08, 2003 8:28 pm

Alitalia
Air France
Iran Air
American
ANA
Olympic Airways

Mon Sep 08, 2003 8:41 pm

I think LH has a nice color-scheme, also QF, AF, TAP, AA. They shouldn't change anything.
Martinair, Biman, and all the airlines with window-stripes: ugly.

Ned Kelly

Mon Sep 08, 2003 11:40 pm

This one IMO. Very much an outdated 80's look.

View Large View Medium

Photo © John Kelly

Although the AZ one still looks quite good, it's been around a very long time.

View Large View Medium

Photo © Tobias Rose

Tue Sep 09, 2003 12:05 am

Csavel: about PIA: green is an arabic color. I also don't like green, but I think color will not be changed.
About Air France: you are totally right: great c/s, even if lots of people say it's too old. AF showed how to show elegance for years.

leviticus

Tue Sep 09, 2003 12:10 am

Iberias and Alitalias colors are just awful.

mallthus

Wed Sep 10, 2003 3:42 am

I happen to really like the USAirways livery, but it's not very brand aware.

One of the reasons that so many liveries look alike these days is that the same firm, Landor Associates, designed them.

My vote for worst livery is Southwest. It was drab and outdated with the old mostly gold scheme, but the new blue dominate scheme is even worse. It looks like they ran out of the gold paint.

United's not had a good livery ever, in my opinion. The current look is drab and appears not well thought out, especially on the 744. The previous look epitomized all that was wrong with the 70's and the livery previous to that was so amateurishly patriotic as to be a joke.

There really aren’t any carriers out there right now with super liveries that are very unique and identifiable.

Chiuaua

Thu Sep 11, 2003 2:11 am

Definitely Martinair. Just look at their new A320's and you'll understand....

Greetz, Chiuaua

airjampanam

Thu Sep 11, 2003 2:20 am

I guess I'm in the minority based on the posts so far to this.
However, here goes.... American Airlines need to change that tin can look ASAP!
Classic it maybe, but its very long in the tooth, especially if the aircraft is the least beat old or dirty!
Just have a look at Aeromexico for proof!
Suing is the new Lotto... if u wanna win u gotta sue!

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos