Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

ntspelich
Topic Author

AI Trans-Atlantic Service

Sat Aug 23, 2003 12:40 am

With all of the talk about AI and ORD today, I figured that I'd ask this. Saw a pretty good rate for ORD-LHR on AI for travel in November. Can anyone give me the low down on the quality of AI's trans-Atlantic product? It would be in Y class, so I'm not quite sure what to expect. For some reason, the logic in my is saying pay the extra $125 or so to go on UA, but saving a buck or two is always a nice thing.

NS
United 717 heavy, you're facing the wrong way. Any chance you can powerback to get off of my deice pad?

jaysit

RE: AI Trans-Atlantic Service

Sat Aug 23, 2003 12:48 am

Between AI and UA, I say its six of one, half dozen of the other.

Service on AI is good, but the planes are shabby with no PTVs and the like. UA is just surly service with appalling meals. If you wanna pay an extra $ 125, go with BA.
Atheism is Myth Understood.

WNfan

Sat Aug 23, 2003 1:16 am

I met a couple of UK residents at a pub in Chicago a couple of years ago, and they loved Air India and used that airline to fly to the US. I didn't get into any details about why, however, as we mostly talked about football. (They were West Ham supporters.)

What rate did you find on AI for November?

ntspelich
Topic Author

Sat Aug 23, 2003 2:04 am

I believe that it was $450 r/t incl taxes.

United 717 heavy, you're facing the wrong way. Any chance you can powerback to get off of my deice pad?

ntspelich
Topic Author

Sat Aug 23, 2003 2:06 am

forgot to include, BA and AA were both around $1400 for the same dates, with UA being around $600.

NS

zrs70

Sat Aug 23, 2003 2:08 am

At the risk of being flamed, I would stay away from AI. Why? Many Indians for (I think) religious reasons can't use a product that is found in deodorants. So you will often find that the cabin ambiance is quite different than what you are most often used to.

If I am totally off base with the background, please educate me. But I am on target with the reality.
21 year airliners.net vet! 2000-2021

Vimanav

Sat Aug 23, 2003 2:39 am

Many Indians for (I think) religious reasons can't use a product that is found in deodorants

Zrs70

Before I flame you  Acting devilish, pray please tell me what is that product in deodorants that Indians can't use for religious reasons. I did not know that beef or pork flavoured deodorants existed. And in any case (at the risk of getting flamed and roasted myself) a lot of us Indians actually don't mind a steak of holy cow along with some pork chops.

Anyhow, I have not found the interior of AI smelling any worse (or better) than any of the other carriers. A little food smell, yes maybe.. but thats because AI serves good grub (and thats a lot better than most of the others I'd say).

AI is a good buy (no pun intended!). Y/cl may be a bit cramped. See if you get the front economy cabin on the 744 which you have a fair chance of getting a 3-3-3 config which would be more comfy. No PTV, plenty of Hindi and regional IFE besides some good English ones as well. Attractive uniforms with unattractive F/As in them and hey.. the chance of experiencing mini-India at FL370.

Go for it!

rgds//Vimanav

Sarfaroshi kii tamannaa ab hamaare dil mein hai, Dekhnaa hai zor kitnaa baazu-e-qaatil mein hai

jaysit

Sat Aug 23, 2003 4:39 am

"At the risk of being flamed, I would stay away from AI. Why? Many Indians for (I think) religious reasons can't use a product that is found in deodorants. So you will often find that the cabin ambiance is quite different than what you are most often used to."

If ignorance was bliss, then you must be in a state of perpetual nirvana.
And, just in case you don't get it, thats your yarmulke going up in flames.

zrs70

Sat Aug 23, 2003 5:18 am

My bad, not a religious, but rather a cultural thing. Nothing to do with hygiene, but rather to do with eating (spices, etc).

Sorry to offend, I had bad information.
21 year airliners.net vet! 2000-2021

behramjee

Sat Aug 23, 2003 5:22 am

The advantage of flying AI to LHR from ORD or any transatlantic route is :

1. THE FARE only

Disadvantage :

1. HORRIBLE HORRIBLE STINKY TOILETS
2. No PTVs in Eco class unlike BA (744-772) and UAL-AA (777)
3. Bad hygiene of passengers
4. Very loud crying babies
5. These same points apply to BIMAN and PIA!

Advantage of paying extra for BA :

1. Good IFE and PTVs
2. Cleaner aeroplane especially toilets
3. Excellent meals
4. V good inflight cabin crew service

If it is US $ 100-150 more then fly BA but if its more than US $ 150-200 than stick with AI. You may enjoy it if it isnt a FULL FLIGHT ; )

jaysit

Sat Aug 23, 2003 6:16 am

"3. Bad hygiene of passengers
4. Very loud crying babies"

LOL !

I suppose babies are automatically silenced when confronted by BA's stroppy madams  Smile. And the stinky on BA suddenly turn into avatars of Chanel No. 5. Indeed, BA has a wonderful product. But I've had more than my share of screaming babies on BA.

You guys are just too much ! But then I forget that the average age on here is 15, and the average IQ not much higher than that.

[email protected]

Sat Aug 23, 2003 8:29 am

"4. Very loud crying babies"

Oh dear, oh dear. 'Nuff said.

"But then I forget that the average age on here is 15, and the average IQ not much higher than that."

LMAO!

Assessing the quality of a product, from beans to airlines, will always be extremely subjective and thus you can only determine the quality of a product to a limited degree by reading other peoples' experiences of it.

I say - GO FOR IT!
"Everyone writing for the Telegraph knows that the way to grab eyeballs is with Ryanair and/or sex."

codc10

Sat Aug 23, 2003 9:04 am

I would NEVER go AI in coach, but as fast as I would say I would never fly Y with them, that's how fast I would fly in either J or F with Air India.

Their premium products are that good, folks. I've experienced it and was very pleasantly surprised, and I've got a fairly high standard. However, one walk through a crowded, messy, smelly coach cabin on a recent EWR-CDG flight was enough to make me forget about even looking at them as an option for an economy class ticket. I'll take CO coach any day over AI internationally, but their Business class gives CO BF some good competition and F edges out CO by the way of extremely attentive service and fabulous catering.

Ryanair!!!

Sat Aug 23, 2003 10:50 am

For those people who are thumbing down Air India, I just wonder how many of you have actually flown with that airline in question? From what I see they are just some cultural stereotype of a South Asian society thrown together in an kaleidescope swirl and voila! It translates to the airline of that origin.

Fly Air India, I say. Try them, test them, fly them. Make your own assesment and write a trip report about it. Dig into the trip rep archives and see what the forum members have to say about that airline. From the ones that have actually flown in their "smelly cabins with crying babies".

Airline food on Asian based airlines have traditionally been better that their western based counterparts by and large. That is because they normally have an "Asian" option which I normally try to choose. Putting the cultural stereotypoes aside, I have not heard anything bad about the grub they serve on board.

As for service, bear in mind that AI is a government run airline, although they are trying to privatise. The FAs that serve on the planes come from the upper crust of the Indian society. While they might differ in their perception of service (all airlines are guilty of this), they are no bimbos when compared to the junior giggly girlies donning the kebayas of SIA. They actually speak better English that some Brits, in my opinion.

Flying Air India is also a cultural experience in its own right. Just like flying any other Asian airline with their uniforms heavily influenced by their national identity (Garuda, Thai, Indian Airlines, Sri Lankan, SIA...). Gawk and admire their complex uniforms and be amazed and how nimble they seem in those sari outfits. I always wonder what happens in an emergency?

So please, dispense the "smelly cabin" and "crying babies" crap and fly the airline before making a historical verdict.

Cheers
Ryan
Welcome to my starry one world alliance, a team in the sky!

Dan6681

Sat Aug 23, 2003 11:02 am

I would fly AI just to experience a new airline. It would be an interesting experience rather then just another flight on UA.

And it's not like your going all the way to India...
EWR-SIN 18.5hrs bring it on!

B747-437B

Sat Aug 23, 2003 11:26 am

Many Indians for (I think) religious reasons can't use a product that is found in deodorants.

No, I fear you are mixing us up with the French.  Smile

behramjee

Sat Aug 23, 2003 12:21 pm

With regards to my comments i have flown eco class AI, PIA, KU, EK and mind you PK and AI are the worst especially in the peak summer-winter months as that is when all their flightst to UK and USA-CAN are overbooked and flooded with loud crying babies. Some of you may have flown AI and PIA and if you see the toilets after an 6-8 hr flight, you will never smell anything more horrible and dirty than that.

Mind you I am from the Indian Subcontinent region and I know what Im talking about...Ive experienced it MULTIPLE TIMES.

Yes AIs new F & J class product is v v good easily 4-5 stars but their Y class isnt.

JumboBumbo

Sat Aug 23, 2003 12:58 pm

I would just fly AI...

If the flight sucks at least you'll have a story to tell. Plus, you'll appreciate how well we have it here in the US of A.

If its a good flight, more the better!

Btw, I don't know if Royal Jordanian flies to ORD, but I've heard good things about them.

jaysit

Sun Aug 24, 2003 12:56 pm

"Nothing to do with hygiene, but rather to do with eating (spices, etc)."

Then Alitalia would be a garlic fest.
But I rest my case.

IndianGuy

Sun Aug 24, 2003 11:44 pm

3. Bad hygiene of passengers

With all due respect, i think Indian/South Asian pax are generally better in the hygiene department than many Caucasian/American pax.

I have been seated next to many European/American looking touristy types who smelled and looked like they probably hadnt seen the inside of a bathroom for over a decade.

When the Cabin Attendant came around spraying the deos during the stopover, i think she was making a point!

-Roy

jcs17

Mon Aug 25, 2003 12:34 am

LOL! This thread got funny/nasty in a hurry.  Laugh out loud

My cousin regularly (usually monthly) travels JFK-LHR on AI to save money. She says the service is good for the most part with very friendly flight attendants. She also says the meals are pretty good and they tend to be on-time. On the downside, she says the cabin sometimes smells a bit foul (perhaps from the lavs, as someone mentioned previously...or as she put it, from the lack of deodorant) and the seats are old. Depending on the dates of travel, either she can have an entire row by herself, or the entire plane could be packed.

I'd give it a try (unless you are out for FF miles), its only two flights, and it will be an experience.
America's chickens are coming home to rooooost!

DoorsToManual

Mon Aug 25, 2003 12:40 am

Ryanair!!!, what a great post.

I say 'go for it'.

Never flown them, but I base my choice on whoever's cheapest. Go on, it'd be great - and I would love to read a ORD-LHR trip report on AI!

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos