Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Midex717
Topic Author

B-17 "Memphis Belle" At MKE

Sun Aug 24, 2003 7:59 am

Showed up at work at the Midwest Airlines hangar at 6am this morning and a mechanic told me that a B-17 was parked in front of our hangar. I didn't believe him at first but he was telling the truth. I guess earlier in the week it came to MKE and had trouble with its rear landing gear. It parked at the Philip Morris hangar at the south side of the airport and the people that fly the B-17 fixed the airplane inside the hangar. Well Philip Morris closes the hangar on the weekend and they wanted the plane out of there hangar. The three people that take care of the B-17 drove the airplane to the Midwest hangar Friday night around 9pm and has been there since. They ran the engines twice today and its supposed to leave MKE around 9:30am on Sunday(9/24/2003).

What a beautiful airplane and what a treat to see it in front the Midwest hangar.

BO__einG

RE: B-17 "Memphis Belle" At MKE

Sun Aug 24, 2003 8:08 am

The plane was in Saskatoon last weekend for the airshow.
I will scan and upload a bunch of Memphis Belle later this month.

Too bad its flyby demo was cancelled//
Follow @kimbo_snaps on Instagram or bokimon- on Flickr to see more pics of me and my travels.

serge

Sun Aug 24, 2003 8:12 am

I envy you Bo. Wish I could have made it up there  Sad

Can't wait to see the shots..

Serge

Theiler

Sun Aug 24, 2003 8:13 am

That's a beautiful aircraft! A big thumbs down to Phillip Morris for that one.

cre

Sun Aug 24, 2003 8:27 am

I do saw the plane out in front of hanger this afternoon - indeed a very awesome sight. I might try to make it out there tomorrow morning and watch it leave.

FlagshipAZ

Sun Aug 24, 2003 10:27 am

Is this the real Memphis Belle? The one Col Robert Morgan flew in WWII? I'm a little septic if this is the real deal here. However, it's always fantasic to hear about any B-17 still airworthy. This B-17 must be painted up as the original Belle, which I understand is undergoing a lengthy restoration job for its new home/hanger/museum in Memphis. Regards.
"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." --Ben Franklin

avroarrow

Sun Aug 24, 2003 11:51 am

If someone can get the reg# off of it we can check. The "Memphis Belle" that was used in the movie was at my home base in Brantford Ontario (CYFD) for 14 months going through a major airframe restoration. It is/was not the real Memphis Belle, but I believe the original Memphis Belle is in a museum somewhere in the U.S.
Give me a mile of road and I can take you a mile. Give me a mile of runway and I can show you the world.

IMissPiedmont

Sun Aug 24, 2003 12:00 pm

"Memphis Belle" sits happily on display in Memphis. Shock there huh?
The day you stop learning is the day you should die.

TheGov

Sun Aug 24, 2003 12:30 pm

Actually it is not on display. It was moved from its display on Mud Island Park a while back and is currently undergoing restoration at the Millington Municipal Airport, formerly the Millington Naval Air Station. There was an article in the Commerical Appeal a few days ago about the plane.
Here is the story as it appeared in the Commerial Appeal

Museum plans for Belle take a twist
SOUTHEAST

By Stephen D. Price
[email protected]
August 21, 2003

The Memphis Belle War Memorial Foundation Inc. is no longer raising funds to build a museum at Forest Hill-Irene Road and Bill Morris Parkway to house the World War II bomber, because of escalating costs.

And officials with the Millington Municipal Airport Authority, where the plane is being restored in a hangar, say they want to keep the plane in the city.

"We will do anything we can do, to get the Belle," said Airport Authority chairman Jim Music.

In 1943, the Memphis Belle became one of the country's most recognizable planes because it was credited with being the first bomber to complete 25 combat missions in Europe and return home to the United States.

The Belle had been on display on Mud Island under a canopy, until it was taken to the hangar at the Millington airport where it is undergoing restoration.

The Memphis Belle Memorial Association and the airport signed a three-year agreement to have the World War II plane restored at a hangar for $25,000 a year.

The agreement will have the association install a heating system in the hangar, which doesn't have one.

The Air Force Museum leases the plane to the Memphis Belle Memorial Association.

Last year officials said the museum would cost $10 million to construct.

The Memorial Foundation, founded in 1999 to fund construction of the museum, stopped fund-raising efforts since costs rose to $15 million, said Memorial Association spokesman Greg Lane.

"There were some great guys involved with this, but it just didn't work," Lane said.

Though he said officials are more focused on the plane's restoration than the museum at this point, they will entertain other locations to house the plane.

"Where the Belle ends up is premature to say," Lane said. "No current options are excluded."

As for building the museum in Millington, Lane said, "I don't blame them for trying to come up with a plan. At this point we're looking for more options."

That's good news to Millington officials.

"It can be the biggest exhibition in Tennessee," said Millington airport commissioner W.S. 'Babe' Howard.

Always a pallbearer, never a corpse.

Trident

Sun Aug 24, 2003 5:53 pm

Since the making of the feature film in 1989, a few of the B-17s used in the film have been repainted in "Memphis Belle" colours. Over here in the UK, the famous B-17 "Sally B" , which also was used in the movie, now sports the full "Memphis Belle" scheme - although she still performs as "Sally B"..

Ilyushin96M

Mon Aug 25, 2003 12:35 am

I was just down at MKE, waited from about 9:30 to 10:00 to see if the B-17 would taxy out and take off, but it hasn't so far. I drove around to the Midwest hangar, and sure enough, there she was, sitting on the tarmac, a couple of ladders by her engines, a few guys in baseball caps milling about. I took a few pictures, but not very good ones, as my camera doesn't have a good zoom lens.  Sad Still better than nothing. Neat to see an old warbird like that at my airport!  Laugh out loud

IMissPiedmont

Mon Aug 25, 2003 11:11 am

Thanks GOV. All updates on her are gold to me. She is the queen of B-17s indeed. Served only a very short time but still the best, in my opinion, of the survivors.

Spacepope

Mon Aug 25, 2003 11:58 am

The original "Memphis Belle" was a B-17F. The replicas that we see flying around are actually B-17Gs that have been modified. The chin turret is removed, and the nose plexi is modified. One easy way to tell the difference is the position of the side guns on the nose. If they are mounted in flush plexi, then it is an F, if they are protruding, it is a G. Also check the rear waist guns, as the G had them staggered. The F guns are equal ways down the fuselage. Here's a pic of the one you probably saw, owned by the CAF. It looks like a converted G to me. Taken July 13, 2003.

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Shawn Byers

T.J.
The last of the famous international playboys

Midex717
Topic Author

Mon Aug 25, 2003 12:47 pm

They were going to leave on Sunday but had to change there plans. There next location there going to is Scott AFB but couldn't leave on Sunday because Scott AFB told them they wouldn't let them land there until Monday. The crew told me that they are supposed to leave at 9AM on Monday. Also on the plane it says it's a B-17F model.

IMissPiedmont

Tue Aug 26, 2003 2:13 pm

And the B-17 at the Pima Air & Space musem cariies the markings 44-85828 "I'll be Around" but it isn't. If you chose, you could paint F.28-1000 on the aircraft and the FAA would not care. It's A B-17G.

BO__einG

Tue Aug 26, 2003 4:07 pm

I took this and a whackload of photos of Memphis Belle at the Saskatoon Airshow on August 16th, 2003. I will upload this and a few others in the coming days.
For now, enjoy this shot.

So this is the G version and not the F yes??
It was supposed to do some flybys but it had some problems with 2 engines.
Old plane needs alot of attention.
Follow @kimbo_snaps on Instagram or bokimon- on Flickr to see more pics of me and my travels.

JMChladek

Tue Aug 26, 2003 5:12 pm

It looks like an F to me.

Spacepope

Wed Aug 27, 2003 6:40 am

Well, it has a -G plexi nose that is made to look like an -Fs nose. The F would usually have 2 machine guns hanging off of the front end there. Keep in mind that a lot of these B-17s you see flying around today spent time in private hands as firebombers and such, and had their turrets completely removed and faired over. You may want to check the N-number on the FAA database just to be sure.

T.J.
The last of the famous international playboys

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos