Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

goingboeing

RE: Which Airline Do You Avoid?

Tue Aug 26, 2003 5:23 am

Hell Ramme - a lot of people who bash Southwest haven't even flown them once...they just heard that they don't have assigned seats and they've already formed their opinion.

Danny

Tue Aug 26, 2003 5:23 am

Atlantic Coast Airlines (UA Express) - eve though I like to fly United ACA is:
delays, delays and ridiculous delays.

Daniel

Capital146
Topic Author

Tue Aug 26, 2003 5:24 am

Ramme,

Only one person from Europe has said a bad comment on Southwest (along with, might I add, a few from the USA). I'd like to point out that we do have an equivalent in Europe, they are called Ryanair.
We even have another large low cost airline (allegedly) in Europe called EasyJet. Hopefully you have heard of them as they do quite a lot of business this side of the pond.
Whilst I agree with you that Southwest provide a super service, I think you may have been a bit short sighted in your comments on how people in Europe perceive travel.
Like a fine wine, one gets better with age.

Chi-town

Tue Aug 26, 2003 5:35 am

I try to avoid AA. I live close to MDW and you can only fly to DFW or LGA direct on AA. Plus, Ive had bad expirences w/ AA.

northwestair

Tue Aug 26, 2003 5:41 am

I've had bad experiences on almost every airline there is. This still doesn't stop me from flying that particular Airline. Everybody has a bad day so sometimes you have to let it be.
I don't care who you fly just as long as you fly

ramme

RE: What Features Would You Like At Airports?

Tue Aug 26, 2003 5:53 am

Northwestair: thank you for noting my thoughts in just two lines:

Capital146: I think I said 'for some of the population' in regards on how people perceive air travel in Europe. I didn't say *everyone*. Yup, I've heard about Ryanair; my wife flew EasyJet during their start-up time from Amsterdam. They only had 4 737's at that time, and 4 destinations. Guess what happens if one the airplanes breaks down? That was what happened to my wife: stranded at AMS for 6 hours until 3am. No food, nothing. So will we be flying EasyJet again? Back then: no, because we didn't agree on how they schedule their ops (4 airplanes for 4 destinations is too few aircraft IMHO). Today? Hell, yeah, if the price is right!

Capital146
Topic Author

Tue Aug 26, 2003 6:09 am

Ramme,

Hopefully you shouldn't have the same problems on easyJet again as they now have a fleet of 60+ 737's.
Ryanair also have a similiar sized fleet of 737's and I'd personally prefer to fly them over easyJet.
It's interesting to note that Ryanair have always modelled themselves on the Southwest policy (ie ticketless airline, no assigned seat, no free food, flying to many secondary airports), they are very similar.
Southwest and Ryanair are probably the two most profitable airlines in the world at the moment. I think this shows everyone who turns their nose up at them that that they must be doing something right.
Like a fine wine, one gets better with age.

ramme

RE: What Features Would You Like At Airports?

Tue Aug 26, 2003 7:10 am

Capital146: good to hear about EasyJet, Ryanair. As a well seasoned WN traveler, I surely would like to give them a try next time I'm in Europe.

WesternDC1010

Tue Aug 26, 2003 7:49 am

Continental.

'Holier than thou' attitude in Los Angeles, Uncaring and aloof in Newark, Condescending and contradictory in Orange County.

I've had better service on United.

- Ron
Western DC-10-10
Western Airlines - The Only Way To Fly

flymia

Tue Aug 26, 2003 9:07 am

Southwest and Iberia. Never again will i fly Iberia. Atleast Long Haul. I taking AA. Southwest i dont like one day i will fly on them or fly for them never know. But right now it does not matter my family not an fan of WN. American West too. airliner i like to fly American no bad I like United because of channel 9. Qantas, Virgin, BA Delta okay too. And Jet Blue.
"It was just four of us on the flight deck, trying to do our job" (Captain Al Haynes)

airlinelover

Tue Aug 26, 2003 9:14 am

What a bunch of pantywaists who would avoid Southwest because of their seating. Remember that when you get your next assigned middle seat. Jeesh.

That's well said.. To avoid an airline because of seating practices.. How can I stop laughing!!

I avoid America West.. Period.. bunch of drunks with half-broken planes. (Also, willing to de-board an ENTIRE plane just so some loser (mike tyson) can come on to an empty plane)

Chris
Lets do some sexy math. We add you, subtract your clothes, divide your legs and multiply

aviaar

Watch It, Ikarus

Tue Aug 26, 2003 9:23 am

Three things:
1. Don't be bringing Anti-American crap to this website
2. We're the ones who started the industry in the first place
3. Why don't you fly on the airlines and understand what the economy is doing before you put them down for their "poor service compared to European and Asian airlines"
Grow up, man.
I'd rather be flying (real original)

greenguy01

Tue Aug 26, 2003 9:29 am

American Eagle.

On one trip my gate checked bag almost went on the wrong flight. After spending about 20 min. arguing with the rude customer service agents, they finally realized that my bag was being put on the wrong flight. Then I get on the plane and my seat was next to a very very full lav. To make it worse the lav cart was next to the plane along with the rampers relaxing nearby. I realized that the Eagle flight attendants do not like to be asked if they can ask the rampers to empty the lav. Not the best experience to have while sitting on the plane in 90 degree heat during an hour and half gate hold. Never again.
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you to their level and beat you with experience.

ElPelon

Tue Aug 26, 2003 9:39 am

Aerocalifornia: Those planes are just to old, I dont trust them..
NW: lots of bad experiences, besides they´re never on time.
ElPelon

kevin752

Tue Aug 26, 2003 9:39 am

International airline: Martin air- for their bad inflight service, uncomfortable seating arrangements and their food.
Short haul ariline: Alaska Airlines- No IFE!!! Small seats and no leg room.

Sorry but I really LOVE SOUTHWEST AIRLINES AND THEIR OPEN SEATING ARRANGEMENT!!!!
"Keep Climbing"

upsmd11

Tue Aug 26, 2003 9:43 am

I love that Southwest has lowered the fares here in SDF but I avoid them like the plague. The main reason is a selfish one. I accumulate FF miles and when I cash them in I use them for international travel. Flying WN will not get me anywhere other than Las Vegas, San Diego or Fort Lauderdale. I fly them when I need a quick trip up to MDW for business and UA has sold out their cheap seats to ORD. I've flown them non-rev when I was with the airline subsidiary at UPS -- free travel is good.

FF miles are very valuable and I would much more prefer to spend 160,000 miles on US to fly Envoy class to Europe on an A300-300 (worth anywhere from $6000 - $10000) than fly domestic tickets that I can usually buy pretty inexpensively.

John

jpetekyxmd80

Tue Aug 26, 2003 9:43 am

"Any American Airline (i.e. UA and AA mostly). Not for safety reasons, but out of principle. Besides, their service is not generally recommended compared with European or Asian carriers, from what I've heard. "

what principle lkarus?
The Best Care in the Air, 1984-2009

JumboBumbo

Tue Aug 26, 2003 9:52 am

How can you hate WN's open seating arrangement.

For one, think of how much paper their saving by using those plastic boarding passes. This is both environmentally friendly and makes good business sense.

Second, I would guess that most of the aviation enthusiasts in this forum would be more than happy to show up to an airport early!

emiratesa345

Tue Aug 26, 2003 9:56 am

Well, we all know what Flashmeister avoids.

United Airlines.

EmiratesA345  Smile/happy/getting dizzy
You and I were meant to fly, Air Canada!

BlackJackLV

Tue Aug 26, 2003 10:08 am

America Worst...opps America West....Sorry bad experiences will cause me never to go back.

Northwesta319

Tue Aug 26, 2003 10:12 am

I have nothing to avoid, but my best friend and his family will never fly on TZ again because their L1011 was deleyed for eight hours and the they were never told why and given bad compensation. (Flight voutcher to "select cities"

Leezyjet

Tue Aug 26, 2003 10:19 am

I avoid BA. I will never purchase a full revenue fare on BA (unless it was for Concorde - but that's a little differant given there is no other ailine operating it). I will only fly them on non-rev tickets, (but try other carriers first) as they are not getting that much of my hard earned cash, in some instances not even 1 single penny when they have accepted my carriers annual free tickets !!.

I have watched BA for the last 20 years try and demolish every other UK based scheduled airline that has tried to compete against it, in some cases they succeded (Laker/Dan Air/British Caledonian) by various methods including the 'dirty tricks' against VS.

BA's attitude seemed to be that we can't have them compete with us, so we'll put them out of business instead. I don't like that kind of attitude, now it's great to see them suffering as the likes of Ryanair and Easyjet eat away at their profits.

Smile
"She Rolls, 45 knots, 90, 135, nose comes up to 20 degrees, she's airborne - She flies, Concorde Flies"

BAGSMASHER

Tue Aug 26, 2003 10:21 am

Think about how much SARS Southwest is spreading with those plastic boarding passes. Cough cough!!

ual777

Tue Aug 26, 2003 10:22 am

Southwest. I HATE open seating as well as the "no frills". Call me old fashioned but when I fly, I put on a tie and slacks, and fly the majors because the service is better. In particular UA  Smile. Another carrier I CAN'T STAND is Continental. The food is wretched and their CEO is a self-worshiping jerk.
It is always darkest before the sun comes up.

flybynight

Tue Aug 26, 2003 10:27 am

I will throw my hat into the anti Southwest hat. It is a great airline in many ways, but the cattle call just sucks.
NW is many ways a good airline, but I find their service and interiors a little behind. I hope this changes with the 330's. Frankly, flying a DC10 to Asia isn't that special when you don't get a TV, and the business class is early 80's design.
United is soooo far ahead in this area.
Having said that, I hope the 330's will change all that.
What would be cool is a DC10's with a modern interior!
Heia Norge!

NW747-400

Tue Aug 26, 2003 10:32 am

Air France, atleast their Intra-European flights. Their service leaves something to be desired and the flight crews don't treat Americans too well. The international flights aren't so bad.

bwc1976

Tue Aug 26, 2003 10:37 am

Any of the few remaining airlines that still have a smoking section.
Any airline with less than 31" seat pitch on flights longer than an hour.

Anyone else, I'm willing to try at least once.

BAGSMASHER

Tue Aug 26, 2003 10:44 am

All you Southwest haters (myself included) better get used to it 'cause thats what its coming to. They have destroyed the industry and turned it into a price driven commodity basic Wal-mart experience. Oh well thats what the public demands so they get it. Lets start demanding new cars for $2,000 and brand new houses for $20,000. Who knows, maybe it will happen.

jjbiv

Tue Aug 26, 2003 11:24 am

Kjet12,

ATA does have a frequent flyer program. See http://www.ata.com/whats_hot/travel_awards/index.html.

joe

UA777lover

Tue Aug 26, 2003 11:29 am

American, and ANY airline that flies the MD anything. Won't ever get on one of those flying coffins again. That's JUST my opinion, I know there are people out there that love those things, and hey, someone has to fly on them, you can have my seat!

bobrayner

Tue Aug 26, 2003 1:07 pm

From experience: AF, BA, babyflots, AA, possibly United, and at least 2 that no longer exist!

From reputation: Korean, and probably Lao &c.  Smile
Cunning linguist

captaink

Tue Aug 26, 2003 1:20 pm

Aviaar if America started this industry, and their service leaves much to be desired, then it is obvious they are doing something wrong.

You can be upset with the guys who dont want to travel american carriers for that reason.. I do believe that american carriers do lack the level of service you can get on european carriers. (food, cabin attendants attitude etc) But i would not put down american carriers, because I have travelled on them more than any other.

What i can say is American carriers seem significantly more comfortable, highly professional and quite timely more so than any carrier I have ever been on. That is what i like american carriers. I can say this based on what I have travelled on. So this is all in my opnion.

The two airlines I give high marks for is AA and US. I have never had bad experinces on either. I have been inconvenienced at times, but it was handled well by the staff and I did experience too much heartache.
Look Up

jpetekyxmd80

Tue Aug 26, 2003 1:36 pm

"American, and ANY airline that flies the MD anything. Won't ever get on one of those flying coffins again."

American, and it is American that flies the MD-80 now and many of them. Well since I am too young to know my ass from my mouth, i will have to use statistics, they dont lie.

Model Rate Events No. Flights Rank
Airbus A319/320/321 0.67 4 6.0 Million 7
Boeing 727 0.66 46 70.0 Million 6
Boeing 737 0.62 47 76.0 Million 5
Boeing 757 0.56 4 7.2 Million 4
McDonnell Douglas MD-80 0.45 9 20 Million 2

Looks like the 'flying coffin' you refer to is the safest airline in its class, and second to only the saab 340. Dont judge an entire airplane of airplane manufacturer on a single incident please!
The Best Care in the Air, 1984-2009

AA777MIA

Tue Aug 26, 2003 1:41 pm

Well, I do not avoid anyone in particular. I prefer not to fly on SWA, but I know when I pay $49 to fly, that it is not going to be a great experience. It is transportation from point A to point B and that is it.. To be real honest there is not one airline out there (in the United States) that I would say forget it, I will not fly...

crjfo

Tue Aug 26, 2003 3:11 pm

I avoid LCCs for the same ethical reason I avoid walmart.

tokolosh

Tue Aug 26, 2003 3:31 pm

EasyJet and Ryanair. They are sometimes more expensive than the "traditional" airlines unless you book months in advance!
Did the chicken or the egg get laid first?

boeing764

Air Canada

Tue Aug 26, 2003 3:38 pm

AIR CANADA!!!!!!!!!!! They have very poor customer service mainly because they are so short staffed due to massive layoffs and the employees that are there are being treated like crap so they don't give a damn.
From Dr. King's America to Nelson Mandela's Africa, the journey of equality moves on.

swissgabe

Tue Aug 26, 2003 3:46 pm

I mean I understand if someone would avoid Korean Air or Biman but what's the point to avoid Airlines such as Royal Brunei?

KE improved quite a lot and BG doesn't really have a bad safety record as well, ok service maybe. But BI, there is really nothing wrong about as long as you get a cheap ticket.

For me there are not really airlines I'm trying to avoid. I have rather preferred carriers and all others might be a secondary choice.
Smooth as silk - Royal Orchid Service /// Suid-Afrikaanse Lugdiens - Springbok

wgw2707

Tue Aug 26, 2003 3:49 pm

I would not fly AOM or National again, however, in both cases the airlines in question mercifully went bankrupt.  Smile

I probably would not want to fly ATA as I understand their seat pitch is a mere 30", making them the worst of the US domestics. I also would prefer to avoid HP (America West) as in the mid 1990s they were a bit shoddy, and the incident with the two drunken pilots last summer was the height of unprofessionality. Also, I dislike their livery and am bored with the "cactus and coyote" look. Just mere personal preference-I have flown that airline a lot and there are others I'd rather experience, for the sake of variety.

I will probably avoid flying on American Airlines until they cease their AAnti-Competitive tactics, and make amends for the disgraceful purchasing and elimination of TWA, one of the greatest tragedies of aviation history. However, I do recognize that they were a superb airline, under the watchful leadership of "Mr. C.R." (C.R. Smith) and have a fascinating history, and doubtless many fine persons work for that airline, and I harbor absolutely no ill-will towards any past and present employees of that airline.

That sums up my position on this topic. BTW, Ikarus, I must say, your remark "Any American Airline (i.e. UA and AA mostly). Not for safety reasons, but out of principle. Besides, their service is not generally recommended compared with European or Asian carriers, from what I've heard.", isn't that perhaps a bit of an unfair, unwarranted general insult to the many American members on this forum such as myself? It just seems a bit ahh, abrasive... Unquestionably our airlines are not what they used to be, but whose are?

-WGW

docpepz

Tue Aug 26, 2003 4:43 pm

For Longhaul I would avoid:

Thai
Any American Airline
Garuda
China Airlines
Korean Air
Air New Zealand
Qantas
Any other airline with no PTVs or a bad safety record.

For short haul I wouldn't mind taking any airline. (less than 3 hours)

hoons90

Tue Aug 26, 2003 5:04 pm

According to Airsafe.com, Korean Air is more safer than PIA, EgyptAir, Royal Jordanian etc... I would fly Korean in a heartbeat... No, I am not biased, it is just wrong to say that you will never fly Korean... you must haven't flown Korean Air.. if you fly them today, you will notice how professional they are. Their safety has improved greatly... and according to the rates on airsafe.com... 3 times safer than China Airlines. I have flown Korean Air myself about 20 or more times, and I can guarantee you will get great service. I have never noticed anything unusual or unsafe on all my Korean Air flights. Korean Air is now SAFE.

I would fly on any airline....
Flown: 2L 7C 9E 9L AA AB AC AF AY AZ BA BR BX B6 CA CO CP CX DL EK EY JL KE KL LA LH LX MQ NW OZ PD RW SQ TG TP TR TS US WG WN WS XE XJ

JMChladek

Tue Aug 26, 2003 5:46 pm

I'm mainly avoiding UA right now because of their financial troubles and I don't want to get stuck somewhere if they do go belly up. I remember the Braniff International fiasco from 1982 quite well (when they closed up shop and practically made DFW a ghost town of aircraft). Plus, O'Hare can be a zoo in the United terminal sometimes and adding a carrier trying to emerge from debt by making cut backs can cause problems as well. I'd say once they get out of their financial woes, I'll gladly fly with them more if the price is right.

Southwest I admittedly haven't tried since they don't seem to want to fly to the destinations I want to go to when I want to go to them. I would like to try them though, even though I know it will be essentially "No Frills", but even their ticket prices on some routes are actually higher then normal carriers.

Pretty much every other carrier I've flown on I'd be willing to fly on again.

ERJ135

Tue Aug 26, 2003 6:04 pm

My love of airline travel is so strong that if someone told me I was flying the worst airline with the rudest staff tomorrow I'd be packing my bags now.

Obviously I'm off to the USA again.

No honestly, they are not all bad, but I've had some very rude American Airlines staff and United and also Delta.
A special thanks though to one American Airlines counter ladies at Columbus who did and excellent job for me when I found my America West flight was cancelled months previously. Unfortunately no one had bothered to try and let me know.
I so want to fly on SCAT one day!

SAA-SAL

Tue Aug 26, 2003 6:50 pm

Ryanair by principle. If there's one airline that could kill my passion for aviation it must be Ryanair. No business ethics
SAA B747 SP, Luxavia B747 SP

FFlyer

Tue Aug 26, 2003 9:17 pm

Especially for Ikarus and the likes, I could say that I try to avoid any government-owned, and/or EU airlines. In principle.

aussie747

Tue Aug 26, 2003 9:28 pm

has aviaar travelled with any of the asian airlines??

let it be known that 8 out top ten airlines based on service were from Asia (Source Skytrax)

European Airlines I couldn't agree more - they are quite rude (Air France / Alitalia and Lufthansa to name a few)

Any large Amercian Carriers give me any day, Not once have I had any major problem.

lovefieldflyer

Tue Aug 26, 2003 9:37 pm

>> Think about how much SARS Southwest is spreading with those plastic boarding passes. Cough cough!! <<

Southwest hasn't used plastic boarding passes for over a year now.

goingboeing

Tue Aug 26, 2003 10:14 pm

Southwest hasn't used plastic boarding passes for over a year now.

Yep, and not only that, but starting this fall, people who fly SWA with a connection will be able to get their boarding card for the connecting flight when they check in for the first flight, eliminating the need to "recheck in" for the connecting flight, and boosting the odds of a connecting passenger to get one of the coveted A boarding group cards.

Ikarus

Tue Aug 26, 2003 10:59 pm

Hmmm. Maybe I should rephrase my former post.

For political reasons and moral principle:
United
American
Delta
Northwest
US Air

For economical reasons (i.e. I want the airline still to be around by the time I'm supposed to fly):
United
Swiss
SN Brussels Airways
Air Canada

For safety reasons:
None. As far as I'm aware all airlines in the world are still far safer than any bus / train in the UK, and I use both.

Regards

Ikarus

PS: KROC, thanks for deleting my previous posts and leaving all the replies referring to it in tact. Shows your unbiasedness  Yeah sure . I hope this one is more to your liking, being long enough not to be a "me too" message. And there's no harsh language anywhere in here...

hoons90

Tue Aug 26, 2003 11:29 pm

Ikarus: Exactly, I agree 100%, you are more likely to die in a car accident or by slipping in a bathroom and hitting your head against the floor, than on the world's most unsafe airline.
Flown: 2L 7C 9E 9L AA AB AC AF AY AZ BA BR BX B6 CA CO CP CX DL EK EY JL KE KL LA LH LX MQ NW OZ PD RW SQ TG TP TR TS US WG WN WS XE XJ

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos