Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

kjet12
Topic Author

Your DC-10 Memories

Fri Aug 29, 2003 1:35 am

I just found this photo and it finally has sunk in, NW is retiring their DC-10s. It almost brings a tear to my eye.  Crying
View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Vasco Garcia

So, I thought it was time to get sentimental. What are some of your DC-10 memories?

My first DC-10 flight that I can remember (I think it was my first anyway) was on Sun Country from MSP-MCO. I don't remember it well, but I do remember the old HHH terminal not having any windows.

My first flight without my parents was when a friend and I were about 7 or 8 and we went to visit another friend who had moved to Seattle. We were seated in the second to last row of the aircraft on the HJ side. I remember the movie was Dave on the MSP-SEA flight and that the flight attendant didn't like us very much. On the return flight, also a DC-10, the movie was Homeward Bound and the meal was pretty crappy so we made weird concoctions with the salad dressings.

My first trip to Hawaii was when I was 9 and we flew a NW DC-10 from MSP-LAX-HNL. I remember those flights like it was yesterday. The breakfast was like an egg mcmuffin, and the movie to LAX was Heavyweights and from LAX-HNL the meal was a Hawaiian chicken, and the movie was Outbreak. I remember that my mom and dad said I was too young to watch the movie. I remember that the 5 hour flight to HNL seemed to take forever. On the return flight we flew HNL-SEA-MSP on a DC-10. I remember that it was my first red-eye flight ever. I think I slept most of the way home on both flights.

My first long haul flight was on a UAL DC-10 from ORD-HNL. That was about 6 years ago. I don't remember much about it but except that it ended up being 10 hours non stop and thought it was really boring. I also remember it being one of the last UA planes in the old orange and white livery.

My last DC-10 flight was last year from HNL-MSP. Unfortunately it is not a good memory, and sad that it could very well have been my last DC-10 flight. It was ruined by bad seating, poor service, and rude crew.

Kris

cptkrell

RE: Your DC-10 Memories

Fri Aug 29, 2003 1:45 am

Piano bar in the lounge; AA, ORD-LAX...jack

NWA757

Fri Aug 29, 2003 1:58 am

Rough landings at LGW on NW DC10-30's.

IslandHopper

Fri Aug 29, 2003 2:01 am

I flew CO Micronesia DC10s to Hawaii and Guam several times during 2000 and 2001 before they were replaced by the 777s. The interiors were pretty shot by then. The whole interior shook and rattled and buzzed on takeoff, and many times the reading lights didn't work and/or the sound system was kaput. One time a ceiling panel fell down when we landed and barely missed hitting someone's head! DC10s were magnificent planes, but the time had come for them to retire.

On the other hand I always enjoyed the flights because I knew I was headed to the island where I lived for a couple years: Pohnpei, Micronesia (PNI).

solnabo

Fri Aug 29, 2003 2:04 am

**SAS DC10-30** (CPH-SEA)
ca 10 hours of pure relaxation
and no turbulence, classy f/a,
great food, seats of B-class on
DC10 was the best in SAS-fleet!
I wished they got MD11, but no....
cuz of the ETOPS they bought B767´s!
 Sad

clrd2go

Fri Aug 29, 2003 2:05 am

1st DC-10 flight..ORD-YYZ on UA..my first wide body trip and my first
international business trip (a few very enjoyable days in a beautiful city)

on one DC-10 flight from DEN-SFO I recall one of the flight crew talking
about the beautiful sunset ahead of us..and later coming out to the cabin
to repair an overhead light

On a flight from SFO-DEN we took off from 19L (a rare occurence) and made
a quick left turn after liftoff..and the seatback lock on my seat didn't work
and my seat kept falling back

pictures of the AA DC-10 crash at ORD

my first first class flight on a CO DC-10 from DEN-BOS

I can't recall my last DC10 flight

Jim

peachair

Fri Aug 29, 2003 2:21 am

My very first flight ever, was in June 1974 on board N1810U a United DC-10 - from LAX to IAD in the stars and stripes livery. I can remember that flight as though it were yesterday.

It was so shiny and new, and I can remember getting off the airplane at Dulles an walking off the stairs down to the shuttle vehicle or "Porta-loungers" (I don't remember them raising to the plane back then).

I also remember distinctly a flight that I took in either 1975 or 1976 from LAX to ORD to BUF (N101AA). It was a through flight and I remember being an unaccompanied minor (13 yrs old) so I sat on the plane and watched all the airport activity at O'Hare while the cabin service people cleaned the plane. I thought of how cool it was to see the Southern DC-9's, North Central Dc-9's and Eastern DC-8, DC-9's - something I never saw in my early interests in aviation at LAX. I remember thinking how weird it was to see aircraft taking off and landing on the many different cross/intersecting runways. LAX only had the straight parallel runways - so I'd never seen crossing runways before. It really was the flight that got me in to spotting!

ntspelich

Fri Aug 29, 2003 2:22 am

Being delayed 5 1/2 hours in BOS waiting for a replacement oil pump to come in on the next flight NW from DTW. I remember my friend going "The thing has three engines, so who cares if one doesn't work?" The customer service folks didn't seem to like that comment.

What a way to start a spring break trip to AMS...

NS

mav75

Fri Aug 29, 2003 2:22 am

Unfortunately, I've only flown on a DC-10 once. UA 11 from EWR - LAX. The flight was actually supposed to be operated on a 762 but there was an aircraft swap. I'd been on the L-1011 several times up to that point, so imagine my happiness when I knew I'd be able to experience the other widebodied trijet.

When I visited the cockpit, I was surprised that you had to step up to get inside, and then again to sit at the Captain's and F/O's seats. The cockpit was very roomy and I remember there being a very good view of the outside since the windows were huge.

Taxiing out and listening to channel 9 (I wish every airline had that channel!), I was amused to hear that we had to stop so the S/O could help fix a jammed overhead that wouldn't close. When we actually took off, the flight was great. This was 1992, when airlines actually served real meals. I think I had some kind of hot chicken dish with metal silverware. The movie was Lethal Weapon 3. Most of the way out there, I listened to channel 9, getting a mental picture of the traffic around us. A Continental 747 was told to reduce speed from Mach .86 to .84.

The landing was good...nothing eventful. I never got to fly on a DC-10 again. I had hoped to fly on a CO DC-10 before they were retired, but never got the chance. My first aircraft model was a 1/250 scale UA DC-10 in the red, orange and blue livery to remember my only flight on a DC-10. I'll miss them!

KL808

Fri Aug 29, 2003 2:26 am

my first ride on a DC-10-30 was with MH from AMS-DXB-KUL-MNL

the second was on UA from HNL-LAX

fond memories of the 3 holer

dre

Capital146

Fri Aug 29, 2003 2:32 am

I have only flown one round trip on a DC-10 way back in 1981 when I was just 7 years old. We flew Air Florida on LGW-MIA-LGW on holiday (before the days when all the British tourists landed at MCO or SFB).

I still think the Air Florida colours looked great on the DC-10.

View Large View Medium

Photo © Paul Robinson

JohnJ

Fri Aug 29, 2003 2:45 am

Hmmm... let's see:

My first-ever DC-10 flight was DFW-LAX and return on American Airlines back in 1986 on my way to Los Angeles for Spring Break. I remember that AA operated only four DFW-LAX flights a day then, all on DC-10 equipment. On the return trip I was really late for the flight and they were about to shut the door when I came running up to the gate. I got on the flight, but lost my assigned seat and wound up sitting in the dead center of the middle area in the SMOKING SECTION!! Yuck. The woman next to me had smuggled some whiskey on board, though, and kept feeding it to me on the way over to DFW, which took a bit of the pain out of the situation.

Other DC-10 flights I've taken include:

American SFO-JFK
American DFW-HNL (my honeymoon!!)
United PDX-ORD
Northwest DTW-LAX
Continental Micronesia AA), Japan">NRT-GUM
Continental HNL-EWR (apparently an ex-SAS plane - the F/A intercoms still had the SAS labels on them).

Oh and I almost forgot - I used to load them on occasion when I worked for FedEx in Memphis. I normally got sent out to load 727s after the sort, so it was a treat when I got a DC-10 assignment. Standing underneath one of those beasts was truly impressive.

[Edited 2003-08-28 19:50:12]

skyone

Fri Aug 29, 2003 2:45 am

My first experience was on an AeroMexico DC-10 flying the Mex-GDL-TIJ route. AM used to send the 10's on high density routes like TIJ, CUN, GDL and MTY. I remember that in TIJ we used the stairs to exit the airplane, since TIJ did not have jetways back then. Being in the tarmac watching this airplane was absolutely amazing... and helped develop my hobby!!!

View Large View Medium

Photo © Frank Schaefer

My second experience was a Mexicana DC-10 flying TIJ-LAP. Mexicana flew the 10's on the Mex-LAP-TIJ route for a long period of time. Since I was living in Los Cabos, we did not get seats on the TIJ-SJD flight so we flew to LAP instead. One interesting thing was that MX DC-10 was configured 2-4-3 which was a lot better than AM DC-10's 2-5-2.

View Large View Medium

Photo © Jorge Pinto

My final experience on a DC-10 was on American Airlines flying Mex-DFW. AA did not send the 10's on a schedule basis to Mexico City, but only when load factors were high. This time we were flying to YYZ for a summer camp via DFW and we were a group of 100 people. I found out that I was flying on a DC-10 when I got to the gate, since this flight was schedule to be a B722.

View Large View Medium

Photo © Josh Rawlin

Trident

Fri Aug 29, 2003 2:46 am

Trans International DC-10s arriving at Dublin, ferrying Irish troops to the Lebanon for UN peace keeping duties in 1978.

My first flight to the USA - British Caledonian DC-10 - Gatwick - Houston in 1981.

Goose

Fri Aug 29, 2003 3:15 am

Putting an MGB roadster on a pallet in the front cargo compartment of a CP DC-10-10..... going to LHR.

luisinho

Fri Aug 29, 2003 3:19 am

Hii Folks...  Big thumbs up

Well, I don't have many good memories from DC-10.

A few years ago, a DC-10-30 from Martinair crashed in my airport, Faro LPFR, killing 56 passengers, several injuring 175 and just injuring the rest of them.

The Weather that day was a bit though, heavy winds but good visibility and a little of rain. The pilot approached runway 10, missed the aproach and went around. Then he tried again... But go around again, on third try he went again to runway 10, but this time made a very strange approach, he was to high, and when he was close to runway then, near 100 feet high, captain cutted power and let the speed fall to near 130 knots and less and the aircraft with full flaps didn't holed and stalled. That time heavy crossed winds were blowing over the runway.

he touched the runway with only one boogie... the right one, and then then with the ailerons we tried to center the aircraft but it was to much aileron and the left wing touched ground and splited off from the aircraft, and then aircraft started to zig-zag on the runway, and then he turned hard right. With the turn the fuselage was not designed to hold that forces and broke in the middle section.

Terrible tragedy... the last mortal body removed was a baby boy... with no more then 3 months old found in the middle of left boogie of landing gear.

I cried like a child when I saw it... I think I will be traumatized for the rest of my life... I think I will never enter on a DC-10... blergh....

See some fotos of the tragedy:

BEFORE CRASH:

View Large View Medium

Photo © Pedro Aragão

AFTER CRASH:

View Large View Medium

Photo © Luis Garcia

View Large View Medium

Photo © Pedro Aragão

View Large View Medium

Photo © Pedro Aragão

[Edited 2003-08-28 20:24:46]

dispatch

Fri Aug 29, 2003 3:38 am

I had 10 flights on the -10.
KLM (2), JAL (1), Martinair (4), United (2) and VIASA (1).
Can't remember anything special, just uneventful flights really.

Peter

turk223

Fri Aug 29, 2003 3:42 am

Always loved the "growl" the DC-10 makes at takeoff power - the 747 classics sort of make the same noise but the 10s always seemed to do it...

I remember DC-10s of Northwest Orient and National when I lived near TPA as a kid.

First DC-10 trip was on AA - last row and it was cool to look back and see the horizontal stabilizer from the cabin window. Big cabin windows by the way...
Also loved the wardrobes - had a little elevator mechanism the lifted the coats inside of it them.
Was on a UA DC-10 once too - very nice.

And! I remember the Wardair interior on the DC-10 especially...

View Large View Medium

Photo © Doug Bull

Areopagus

Fri Aug 29, 2003 3:49 am

I was on a UAL DC-8 taxiing out to depart BOS bound for DEN on my way to SJC, when the captain pulled out of line and ran some tests. After some time, he annourced that the flight was being cancelled due to a failing thrust reverser, and taxiied back to the gate. I was rebooked on a DC-10 bound for ORD, with a connecting flight by 727 to SFO. The Ten was configured 2-5-2, and I got an aisle seat in the right group (don't remember what letter that is), a little ahead of the wing engine. Every seat was taken. The FA announced that the flight had been delayed for the benefit of us refugees from the cancelled flight, but in their haste to depart, they not been able to upload the additional meals; she'd appreciate volunteers to forgo the meal.

We took off into the night with strong acceleration and a fast climb, the engine fans making a loud buzz-saw noise.

Near the end of food serving, a man seated in the center seat of the center section began yelling, "I paid for a first-class ticket, and you stuck me in the middle seat of coach, and I didn't even get dinner!" Man, was he steaming!

JohnJ

Fri Aug 29, 2003 4:09 am

"Taxiing out and listening to channel 9 (I wish every airline had that channel!), I was amused to hear that we had to stop so the S/O could help fix a jammed overhead that wouldn't close."

Channel 9 is indeed cool, but in my post above I forgot the best part about my first-ever DC-10 flight on American: I believe they, too, had cockpit audio at that time and went one step further with a camera in the cockpit that captured the pilot's view forward. The image was shown on the movie screens during takeoff and landing.

BHMNONREV

Fri Aug 29, 2003 4:40 am

Rough landings at LGW on NW DC10-30's.

You and I must have been on the same flight...lol

Fri Aug 29, 2003 4:41 am

Two particular DC-10 memories come to mind.

1. 1980. I flew YYZ-FRA on a Lufthansa DC-10. My parents were very late in
getting me to the airport, which meant I was SOL for a window seat. I sat in the centre seat of the middle section (2-5-2 configuration) and talk about claustrophobic! I also recall the great cabin crew and the delicious German Schnitzel for dinner, mmmmmmm!

2. 1983. My first flight on the Wardair DC-10-30 (YYZ-BGI). As soon as we stepped on-board this aircraft, it was "Woooooooooo!" due to the, ahem,
colourful interiors (seats and sidewalls; see photo above). My oldest brother remarked a few times that flying the WD DC-10-30 interior was like taking LSD and flying inside an Easter Basket, LOL. Actually, I loved the DC-10, and the WD seats were tres comfy. Also recall the delicious breakfast served enroute to BGI; a large ham (Black Forest) and cheese omelette, warm fresh crossaints, cold assorted fruit bowl of pineapple, strawberry and kiwi, and fresh Columbian coffee.... On the way back......filet mignon and scalloped potatoes, asparagus, salad, and.....hmmmm, I think Black Forest cake for dessert. God.......I'm hungry!

747400sp

Fri Aug 29, 2003 5:04 am

Most of the flights I flew on was on AA DC10. My first flight was on an AA DC10 when I was round one years old. My parents told me that, while the other baby was crying, I was jumping and laughing. Even I of the pilot said will number something something (I had on a lakers shirt with Karem number on it) get ready for landing. This was a nonstop from LAX to ORD. I also remember one flight with my mom and sister my father could not come and my bother was not born yet. The flight was from LAX to DFW then DFW to ORD on another DC10.
I remember a flight that my whole family even my bother and father was traveling on. I remember my bother had to sit on my mother lap. My father show me some sites out the window. The dinner was lasagna or beef tips I do not like lasagna and they ran out of beef tips so I did not eat my sister was sitting next to me and she ate the lasagna and lost her lunch 15 minutes later. We landed at DFW and transferred to an American Eagle commuter plane that was flying to Texarkana where my mom family live. My last flight on a DC10 was a night flight from LAX to ORD in 1991. It departed LAX at around 11:00 pm midway into the flight I went to sleep and in the mooring we landed. Every flight I ever took on a DC10 was with AA, and they was ether between LAX and DFW, LAX and ORD and once DFW and ORD. Because of the DC10 I thought all plane had twin ailes until I flew on an AA MD80. The only other widebody I ever flew on was a DL L1011 Tristar from DFW to LAX. Thank You DC10 for all those great flight when I was a child.

A330Fan1

Fri Aug 29, 2003 5:06 am

I remember taking the DC10 only twice in my life...from LAX - HNL - LAX in the summer of 1997, on Sun Country Airlines. I remember the layout being like that of a 747, with a seat configuration of 3-4-3. The seats were not too generous...that's all I remember of this old bird.

-Adios, A330Fan1

swissgabe

Fri Aug 29, 2003 5:09 am

The first time I flew the Dc10 was on United from SFO to OGG. I really liked the trip. Flew also back from OGG to SFO on D10.

My last trip on a Dc10 was back in October 2002 on Biman Bangladesh from Chittagong to Dhaka (Domestic). I think flying the D10 is like a trip back 20 years ago ...

ckfred

Fri Aug 29, 2003 5:50 am

My only DC-10 flight was on AA from ORD to PHX. The thing I liked was the cockpit camera, which was turned on after the safety-briefing video until the aircraft reached about 5,000 feet, and then again when the aircraft was being slotted into the PHX approach pattern until the plane was into the gate.

AA got rid of the cockpit cameras after the ORD crash in May, 1979.

jetjack74

Fri Aug 29, 2003 5:59 am

When we had the DC10 on the AMS-DEL/BOM, I was able to bid for it over holidays and weekends. When the caterers opened 4R/4L, and 1R/2R for the out bound, the smell of the place was overpowering. And having to sleep in rows 19, and 20AB for crew rest seats. Great plane though, very easy to work. The DC10 will be in NW's fleet for quite a few years to come. The last 8 aircraft that we aquired(ships 1237-1244) are going to hang around in the fleet even when all the A330's are delivered. The plan is have them dedicated to the HNL-Mainland flights until approximately 2008.

planemannyc

Fri Aug 29, 2003 6:05 am

First time I flew a DC-10 was on a British Caledonian from LGW to Abidjan, Ivory Coast. I was only 12 years old, but loved the relative spacious cabin. There was a drunk guy who was verbally abusive to F/As. Uneventful flight, and we touched down at ABJ at the twilight of dawn.

I have also flown the DC-10 on Swissair from ABJ to GVA and on Biman several times between LHR and DAC. All pretty much uneventful, except that one time when a BG airconditioning unit was not working and dripped water on a poor man not far from my seat. He kept cursing saying he was going to Bangladesh in the dry season only to get wet by the airline. It was funny to hear!

I have also been in the cockpit of a DC-10 once on a Biman flight. Very brief, but was amazed to see the real thing up close.

747400sp

Fri Aug 29, 2003 6:09 am

Ckfred

One of the DC10 flights I took to DFW in the late 80's had a camera in the cockpit. This was after the ORD crash.

DeltaRules

Fri Aug 29, 2003 6:42 am

I faintly remember my first DC-10 trip....MSP-LAX in 1992. I remember going to the cockpit & being stunned that there were three pilots on that plane (I'd never seen an F/E before). I remember having a sucker which I liked (amazing what I can remember  Smile/happy/getting dizzy), seeing a trailer for one of the Batman movies, and being towed into the gate in LAX. That's it.

My next DC-10 trip was NW 47, LGW-DTW in August 1999. Nice trip...first daytime Trans-Atlantic flight. The meal was good & the movies were "Shakespeare in Love" & "Twice Upon A Yesterday", which was a 90 minute movie from the UK (I think). One thing I liked about that flight was the old style armrest radio, with the dials instead of the buttons.

We went to FCO in July 2000 & we took the DC-10 both ways. The plane was N241NW & came in from CDG. It was delayed about 2 hours in DTW because it needed repaired. We finally got going & I remember being tense when I saw the overhead bins shaking on takeoff. Going over was fun...I always like seeing the sun go down & seeing it again a couple hours later. We weren't delayed by too much though getting into FCO, because according to the Airshow, we were doing 610 mph! After landing, we looked at the airport (without the terminal in view) & my dad said it looked like something from WWII.

The return trip was on N234NW, which my mom commented "Should be easy to remember that tail #!") God, that was a long trip- 9 hrs, 32 minutes...the longest I've been on. We did get four movies, although that didn't speed the trip up any.

We're going to Europe again this summer....maybe I can get on another DC-10!
DeltaRules

CV990

Fri Aug 29, 2003 7:16 am

Hi!

When I came to USA with my family in the summer of 1998 I had a flight from IAD to SEA. I went to UA homepage and started to see what flights there were. I had UA777, UA744 or UA DC-10 via DEN. Well I choosed the DC-10. It would be an extra landing, an extra airport, so I was pleased. I started that morning from ALB to IAD with the good old 72S from UA. When we arrived at IAD we went to our gate and found out that we were flying a "still" old livery UA DC-10-10, N1811U. The plane looked quite old but we had a great flight. When we were arriving at DEN the F/A said to us to keep our things in the plane that we would latter return to it, that's what we expected so it was ok! Just a few minutes before we landed the F/A said that we should take all our stuff out and move to a diferent gate, then I started to get quite curious what was going on. We landed and changed gates, when I arrived to our new gate there was ANOTHER DC-10-10 for us to fly! I was very excited and glad, I was going to get another ride in another DC-10!!! This time it was a new livery UA, N1847U. We boarded and flew all way to SEA. I never repent myself opting for the DC-10 intead of the 777 or the 744, I actually got 2 DC-10 on my flight!!!
Regards

B6FA4ever

Fri Aug 29, 2003 7:23 am

All i know is that i'm pretty much a DC-10 slut :-P 90% of my travels were between CA and HNL...and in the 90's airlines primarily used the DC-10. Flown on United, Northwest, American, and Continental. when the UA dc-10 crashed in Sioux City, IA that kinda scared me off to fly on that plane again (keep in mind i was a pre-teen then) but after a few years...and to this day i think its one of the best looking planes around. RIP to the dc-10's who'll be retiring soon :'(
B6FA4ever

ATA L1011

Fri Aug 29, 2003 7:26 am

Flown it several times with CO from IAH to LAX in the 90's by choice. I loved the way the GE's on the series 30 sound great sound, I remember a very long landing at LAX, and long takeoff all 3 times I flew the 30 out of IAH the -10 rocketed into the sky at LAX being light. On one occassion in 98 the flt was scheduled to be a series -30 but it ended up being a -10 that they recieved back from CO Micronesia (N68041), I noticed that it was much quieter on the Inside as the GE's on the 10 doesnt make that famous sound like the later GE's on the -30,A300B4 and 747-200 and early 300's. He also didnt have fresh air outlets adn i asked the flt attendant abot it she said some of the -10's they had didnt have them being a 15 year attendant. He soon went to Emery after that flight. Great plane IMO

[Edited 2003-08-29 00:38:58]

stlguy

RE: List The Airlines You Have Flown On

Fri Aug 29, 2003 11:26 am

Several great DC-10 memories...

1) First visit to NYC, 1989
Flew DFW-LGA on an AA DC-10-10...coach...still amazed they flew these heavy birds into LGA.

2) First overseas flight, DFW-ORY 1993
Business class (old 39" pitch woolly mammoth seats)...recall how slowly we climbed out...seemed like the plane could barely gain altitude after takeoff from 18L on that hot DFW day with full pax and fuel for the ~5000nm flight...literally buzzing power lines for several miles after TO. Have recurring graphic "low altitude flight in a widebody heavy jet" nightmares from this.

3) First VERY frightening commercial airline weather encounter
LGA-DFW flight...delayed departure due to enroute weather. On descent to DFW flew through MAJOR hailstorm...sounded like we flew through a solid cloud of BB's or anitaircraft flak....pilot screaming over intercom at F/A's to be seated...landed uneventfully but have never been so alarmed on an airiline flight.

4) Near-last UA DC-10 flight, Apr 2001.
LAX-ORD redeye. Boarding the old girl once again, thinking of the many memories on board this magnificent, though sometimes troubled bird.

aviasian

Fri Aug 29, 2003 11:37 am

The DC-10 is my all-time favourite airliner . . . but regrettably, I could only count two flights on this beauty.

First was on Malaysian Airline System (now re-named Malaysia Airlines) on a Kuala Lumpur (Subang) to Singapore. I got a window seat and was absolutely thrilled by how quickly the landscape around KUL Airport retreated. The rate of climb was spectacular!!!

Second flight was in January 2001 on a Japan Airlines flight from Honolulu to Tokyo-Narita. The same exhilirating climb performance, enhanced greatly by the beautiful oceans and islands of Hawaii.

And I am looking forward very much to taking my next two DC-10 flights on Northwest Airlines (from SIN to NRT and back as part of a trip to LAX)! And I can only pray that if any is painted in the new livery, I get to fly on it too.

And I am also collecting old magazine ads showing the DC-10 . . . Malaysia Airlines, Thai, Lufthansa, Korean Air Lines, Air Siam, Garuda among some of them.

KC Sim
Bangkok

tommy767

Fri Aug 29, 2003 11:48 am

Only DC-10 flight I have ever flown was in 1997 from EWR--MCO. I remember I was in the 4th grade, and I was really not too concerned about which aircraft I was flying. I remember they showed TV shows: Mad about you, and Sienfeld. Everyone was laughing! I remember going to the bathroom and I flushed the toilet which made a really loud noise! I was really scared for some reason and just went back to my seat. I remember that a/c being pretty healthy, and well kept!

767er

Fri Aug 29, 2003 11:53 am

What a great thread.......

My first DC10 flight was in 1976 from AA), New Zealand">AKL SYD. My first international flight, my first wide body flight. Those ANZ 10s were pristine!!

This was followed my more DC10 experiences......

AA), New Zealand">AKL LAX via HNL Air New Zealand

LAX AA), New Zealand">AKL via PPT on UTA

AA), New Zealand">AKL PPG HNL LAX on CO

SEA ANC on CO

ANC SEA on CO

SEA LAX on Western

MIA LGW on Laker

OAK EWR in World

EWR to LGW via BWI on World

JFK LAX on AA

SYD AA), New Zealand">AKL on UA (twice)

AA), New Zealand">AKL SYD on UA (twice)

I am sure I'm missing others there........

I miss those 10s

DC10GUY

Fri Aug 29, 2003 12:24 pm

I remember the 1st time I had to manually crank and stow a #2 engine thrust reverser in the freezing rain in MEM. I think that's when I realized just how stupid it was to put an engine on the tail of an airplane.... I've flown on the DC10 many times it is truly a great airplane. Most of the DC10's that I work on where built when I was in my early teens. I think that says a lot about how well they where built. ( maybe not engineered that well ) but built well.

ARCJET

Fri Aug 29, 2003 12:36 pm

June 2001
Omni Air International DC-10 N540GX

KBWI - EDDF - OKBK

Crowded Military Charter to Kuwait. Departed BWI at 10pm, saw the sunrise
Just past Gander. Landed Rhein Main, refueled and continued to Kuwait landing about 9pm local time.

February 2002
World Airways DC-10

This was on the World DC-10 leased from Continental, we had the blue tail and white globe. Departed Rhein Main at 11:30pm and flew across the Atlantic landing at Baltimore about 2am and on to Charleston, SC landing at 5am.

cdgdtw

Fri Aug 29, 2003 1:03 pm

I love the DC10. It took me back and forth to Paris when I was a student there and now it is my favourite plane to work. You get a sense of heaviness and power during takeoff and landing. It will be around for a couple more years, I suppose, but after that I will certainly miss it. Despite the mechanical quirks and the awful centre section (usually non-rev section...), it is a workhorse and will be missed.

View Large View Medium

Photo © Arjan Rooza

View Large View Medium

Photo © Alexis Boidron

View Large View Medium

Photo © Mark Garfinkel

StevenUhl777

Fri Aug 29, 2003 1:35 pm

Thank you...great topic...sure beats "how is xxxx airline doing?" and "favorite colors on an xxx airplane" !!!!!

Sooooo many memories of DC-10s! All memories are on United, except where noted.

- First time was mid-late 70's, most likely SFO-HNL. I was a young kid then, and the DC10 wasn't my favorite at that time...why? Well, the window in the passenger door is a small round hole near the top. For a 6 year old who likes to look out during the flight, I wasn't too happy....

- 1980 sometime. I was in a summer school program, and we took a field trip out to SFO, to the United area. We were at some baggage counter learning about something, and I wandered down this hallway, where there was a door with a window looking out on the ramp. I could care less about the baggage counter thing where the rest of the kids were. All of a sudden, a UA DC10 taxied by, and I started jumping up and down screaming "United DC10! United DC10!" The other kids and teacher looked over at me, I can only imagine what they must have been thinking!  Smile

- August 1981, age 8. In fact, I think it was my first solo flight, from ORD-SFO! Sat in coach and I remember a guy next to me buying a 7up. My dad met me at the gate in SFO and then we went camping after that.

- August 1982: LAX-LGW-LAX on British Caledonian, DC10-30. Only known flight on a -30. Before UA flew to LHR.

- November 1982: Took off from SFO, rwy. 28L I think it was, on a sunny day. I was in a window seat, just in front of the #3 engine. I looked out and saw the shadow of the landing gear being retracted...I had never seen that before and I was absolutely thrilled! About an hour later, lunch was served. Some hot meal (1982, folks!) and it had a salad, with a little cup on the side of viniagrette dressing for the salad. I tried a little of it first, liked it, and then put the entire cup to my mouth and downed it in one gulp like it was a shot of Jack Daniels. My dad and an f/a standing there were quite surprised, haven't lived that one down to this day...

- Summer 1984: for whatever reason, there was this lady from Minneapolis at this boy scout camp I was at. I talked to her and learned she had flown out to PDX on a NW DC10, and right there I openly criticized her (I was 11) for doing so and told her she should have flown on a UNITED DC10 to PDX instead! She looked at me kind of funny....

July 19, 1989: UA 232 crashes in SUX, very sad day. I was working at a Boy scout camp in central Oregon when I heard about it.

May 1993: I was on my home from a 2-day trip to Berlin, Germany. My dad gave me a pass on UA, and I didn't have hardly any money, but still went to Berlin anyway. On the way home, it was a milk run: TXL-LHR-IAD (first time to IAD, loved it ever since)-ORD-PDX. The ORD-PDX segment was a DC10, and I got first class. I was 20, and was able to have several drinks on the flights, starting in Berlin. Anyway, I was in first, a huge leather recliner seat, 20 years old on an employee pass, and ordered a glass of Southern Comfort, because I never had it before. Needless to say, I walked off the plane TANKED! Best series of flights ever!!!!! I'll never forget it.

Flew PDX-ORD-PDX in August 1994, and then again in October 1995. Ironically, I can't remember when the actual last time I was on a DC10...

flybynight

Fri Aug 29, 2003 2:16 pm

Luisinho - Did the captain survive? That's a pretty intense picture from the cockpit of that Martinair DC10.

RayChuang

Fri Aug 29, 2003 3:43 pm

I've only flown on a DC-10 once, in 1986.

The flight was HKG-NRT on a UA DC-10-30 (ex-British Calendonian airplane), and the flight was not bad.

megatop

Fri Aug 29, 2003 4:20 pm

My memories of the DC-10 goes back to August 1979. Not long after the crash in ORD I was flying from JFK to DTT on a NW (then Northwest Orient) on a DC-10-40. Many people was praying when we took off. Everybody was hearing "strange" sounds ect ect. So when we landed in DTT everybody was very happy, having survived this DC-10 flight.

View Large View Medium

Photo © Trevor Ogle

It would then take 10 years before I again flew the DC-10. In 1989 I was flying from CPH to BKK to ARN to CPN on a SK DC-10-30. The flight was very pleasant. A we stayed in Thailand for 3 weeks.

View Large View Medium

Photo © Johan Ljungdahl

2 years later, in 1991, we again went to Thailand on holidays. And again on a DC-10-30. But this time on a AY DC-30, departing HEL to BKK. Again a very nice flight, although the Finnair seat configuration was rather cramp.

View Large View Medium

Photo © Pertti Sipilä

My last DC-10 flight was in October 2000. I flew from Bali (DPS) to Jarkarta (CGK) on a Garuda DC-10-30. The aircraft was almost new inside. What a supprise.

View Large View Medium

Photo © Sam Chui

Despite the first flight, I have always loved the DC-10, and I am sorry to see them being taking out of service.

Megatop

RoyalDutch

Fri Aug 29, 2003 4:40 pm

I love the -10...It's always been so steady and reliable, I can't really think of one specific flight that I enjoyed more than another. I'm really looking foreward to my next flight on one in December. I did have one kind of interesting experience one time on a CO DC-10 from EWR to CDG. I was in the center section, and I was on the right aisle, and there was this asian lady and her kid (he musta been about 6) down at the other end (so there were 2 empty seats between us, for which I was very grateful as you will soon see). The kid was sick the entire flight. I've never seen a person get so sick on a plane before. He was using the bags, running to the bathroom, etc every 30-45 minutes or so for the entire flight. I felt bad for him, but I was quite glad I hadn't ended up in the seat right next to him.

luisinho

Fri Aug 29, 2003 11:16 pm

hiii

Sorry RayChuang... i sended you an e-mail that was for Flybynight, but your post was under.... and... i made a mistake... eheh sorry! Then i tried to send an email to Flybynight... but he doesn't has a declared e-mail on profil so... here is the mensage about DC-10 Crash - Martinair

So to Flybynight question: "Luisinho - Did the captain survive? That's a pretty intense picture from the cockpit of that Martinair DC10"

Yes... all the cockpit crew survived, captain made several injuries on his head, broke left harm and left leg. The First Officer only made injuries on his head and the Engineer broke right leg.

That was the only accident in FARO LPFR, the majority of the victims were on final rows, when the central tank and engine number 2 exploded. They died burned, as you can see on pictures on my post, the stern section is all burned to the ground.

Every year, on the day of the crash, some familly of the victims came here to faro to put some flowers on the DC-10 final resting place and pray for their beloved who parished in that tragic accident. The DC-10 has a very large wing, and the DC-10 doesn't like cross winds... the aircraft becames very unstable, and when winds and a bad crew came together, that's what happens.

I think that the captain of that flight never flew again... there was an internal process inside martinair, i searched for informations about what happened to that captain, i belive that his name was Clement Koft, but anyone knows nothing about it or didn't wanted to talk because maybe it was to darty...

If someone on forum know anything about it... just tell me... i'd like to know!

BEst regards

andersjt

Sat Aug 30, 2003 12:31 am

Surprisingly, my first time on a DC-10 did not happen until 1993. My widebody Tri-jet experiences had all been L-1011 (Delta, TWA and Eastern) up to that point. It was United Airlines, LAX to DEN, summer of 1993.

What I remember:

1. The chimes sounded different than on Boeing, Airbus or L-1011's.

2. No overhead storage for the center seats. This made the cabin seem much roomier.

3. When we arrived at Stapleton, we de-planed at Gate B-1 which meant a jetway to Door 1 Right (instead of 2 left). First time I had ever seen passengers being exited from the right side.

The flight was nice. Early morning with a breakfast service. I was able to get upgraded.

My last time on a DC-10 was a big disappointment. It was summer 1998. I was going from IAD to LAX via DEN. From IAD to DEN and then to LAX the a/c was supposed to be the same 744. When I got to IAD I was crushed to find there was an aircraft substitution. This is what was disappointing:

1. The 744's were 3-cabin and I had paid for United First on both segments. The DC-10 was only 2-cabin which meant putting Business and United First together.

2. When I found out about the a/c change, I asked to be put on the non-stop to LAX which was a 744. They were unable to "accomodate" me.

3. In the 3-cabin United First, I had reserved window seats as there was enough room to get out without disturbing your seat mate. When I asked for an aisle seat on the DC-10, they didn't have any. My seat mate was an f/a "dead-heading" to DEN and was nice enough to switch.

4. This plane was OLD, and must have been parked for some time, or used for charters. First class still had the cloth seats (at this time, other United a/c still had leather).

5. The movie didn't work. Some John Travolta movie, I do not remember the title. The sound kept going in and out, and the projection was out of focus. The safety demo was manual as they could not get the video working properly. On the 744 I would have had a PTV with a choice of several movies to watch.

6. One good thing - as this segment, IAD to DEN, and the next, DEN to LAX were supposed to be 744's, they were over-staffed in-flight, which meant a little bit of extra attention.

I enjoyed the DC-10's all right, and will miss seeing them at airports; however, once I did the 777, there was no going back.

N62NA

Sat Aug 30, 2003 12:37 am

My first DC-10 was on the old National Airlines MIA-EWR. Wow, what a beautiful plane - inside and outside!

After that, my DC-10 experiences were on UA, mainly EWR-ORD-EWR and LAX-ORD-EWR. Loved flying on that plane, except for the one time I got stuck in the middle of the 5 seat middle section. Ugh!

Never got to fly AA when they had the camera in the cockpit back in the 70s (or was it early 80s?). Would have loved to have been on one of those.

Closest I get to the DC-10 experience nowadays is AAs 763s and A300-600s flying EWR-MIA-EWR.

SNARN

Sat Aug 30, 2003 12:43 am

I remember my first longhaul flight alone. I was 17 years old, traveling
AA ARN-ORD-LAX to visit my sister.
The flight ARN-ORD went smoothly with AA 763.
When I arrived by the gate in ORD for the flight to LAX, they were looking for voluntarys for the next flight to LAX, since this flight was overbooked.
I remember myself thinking :
"-Good money, but .... The next flight is a MD80.. And this is a DC10.. NO WAY!!!!" I´ve been looking forward to travel on the DC10 ever since I was a kid..
I received my boarding pass and got a trap seat in the center of the aircraft (2-5-2 config)  Sad .. Anyway.. I was actually onboard on the DC10!!!  Wow!
I went to my seat in the middle and sat down. The guys on each side of me started talk over my head about baseball (I don´t know anything about baseball!!) so I just starred at the screen, pretending to enjoy the movie and the music in my headphones.
After a loooooong flight we descended and was about to land.. Then just a few seconds before touchdown the plane increased speed and we were on our way up again. Everybody screamed.. And the captain said that there were too much fog to land, but we would circle around and try later.
After half an hour we were told to land in Ontario. The man beside me said.. "Hey.. isn´t that in Canada?" And the other replied "I guess, but think that we are diverted to Ontario County outside L.A"
So we flew there and landed safely... But awaiting to go back to LAX so everybody had to stay put in their seats. By then some passengers demanded to get off the aircraft or to have a cigarette in the aircraft due to the fact that it´s been more than a five hour flight (which were the min. At that time to be able to smoke on domestic flights) The captain finally decided to let everybody go by shuttles to LAX to collect the bags. And so we did.
And once I received my bag from the baggage claim I saw my sister enter the arrival hall. We were five hours delayed and the MD80 (which departed ORD later) landed long before us....
She ran to me and said..
"I am so sorry I´m late, but the car broke down in downtown, so we had to get it fixed.... I am so glad to see you!!! .... Have you been standing here waiting all the time???? "

I just smiled and said.. I am glad to see you too"  Smokin cool

I LOVE THE DC10 !!!  Big grin

Patrick

contrails

Sat Aug 30, 2003 2:13 am

I have a quite a few memories of the DC-10, but they all involve people getting killed. I'll be happy if I never see one again.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos