Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Birdwatching
Topic Author

Walk In, Steal Luggage, Walk Out

Sun Sep 07, 2003 11:44 am

Some time ago, a friend of mine flew into BOS on a domestic US Airways flight. Luggage was lost, same happened to a handful of other pax on the same flight, was never found.
Last week, I went to BOS myself to pick up somebody else, and I could not believe what I saw: The luggage belts are in the main hall of the terminal, so that anyone can just walk in from the street, grab a couple of bags and leave.
What the heck are BOS airport authorities thinking? I think it is bad enough that on other airports they don't check if you take out your proper suitcase... then what are those green tags on your ticket for? But there, at least, it is within the customs area that you pick up your luggage.

What do you think about this? Isn't it cheaper to have someone stand at the exit and quickly scan those barcodes, than to pay all the passengers their $$ for the lost luggage?
All the things you probably hate about travelling are warm reminders that I'm home

DeltaSFO

RE: Walk In, Steal Luggage, Walk Out

Sun Sep 07, 2003 11:50 am

A lot of airports are like that. Here in San Francisco you can go to any domestic baggage claim and you have instant access to arriving baggage.

As with most things, it usually takes a big deal to change the policy. I know that the Delta baggage claims in Atlanta have security folks who check your claim checks against your baggage numbers before you can leave the baggage area. Which leads me to assume that Delta had at some point had a problem with people stealing luggage there, and it got bad enough that they or the airport authority decided to do something about it.
It's a new day. Every moment matters. Now, more than ever.

atrude777

Sun Sep 07, 2003 11:55 am

Southwest does it in STL.
Which was why I panicked because I thought I left the baggages claim check on the plane but found it and we were able to leave with our luggage, so I can confirm that no one can "just leave with a bag" in the Southwest Baggae claim area at STL, I do not know about the Main Terminal.

Alex.
Good things come to those who wait, better things come to those who go AFTER it!

b752fanatic

Sun Sep 07, 2003 12:01 pm

Here in MIA is the same deal.

For the domestic flights, just one step from the luggage belt you can get cab.

Right on the exit anybody can come in and grab a bag.
"Truth is more of a stranger than fiction." Mark Twain

m717

Sun Sep 07, 2003 12:52 pm

Almost all of the airports that I fly to domestically are that way. It's that way here in ATL along with virtually everywhere else that we go. That's just the way it is. It's been years since I've been on a domestic flight where someone actually checked to see if the claim check that I possessed matched the one on the bag in my hand. In fact, it's been years since I've even seen anyone around to check it.

So, I guess if you want to help yourself to someone else underwear, go ahead.

Sun Sep 07, 2003 1:39 pm

WN at LAX checks your claim tag against your baggage tag... the persons doing so were attentive. The same thing was done at LAS until 9-11 – but the agents weren’t really attentive, so it was more-or-less window dressing.

My luggage was stolen at Orlando… CO has one carrousel and bags from three-four flights (B764H, B753, B757 and B733 – within 45 minutes of each other) were dumped onto it … I’m sure the thieves know this.

Tue Sep 09, 2003 8:26 am

Responsibility for airline luggage does not lye with the airport. It's the responsibility of the carrier. If they want it secured, hire a guard or ask for a camera to be installed.

cancidas

Tue Sep 09, 2003 8:41 am

ok, why would anyone steal luggage? that's beyond my reasoning.
"...cannot the kingdom of salvation take me home."

Goose

Tue Sep 09, 2003 8:45 am

Even in comparitively (to US airports) smaller airports in Canada, there is a slight problem with luggage pilferage from domestic arrivals carousels. YYC, YEG, YVR have all had these issues and have taken measures to try and prevent some of the losses. Some bases hire plainclothes security or have the local Police Service or RCMP conduct plainclothes security, to watch for "regular" baggage thieves. Most have installed security cameras.

In most of these cities - YYC, YVR, etc - the security in the domestic arrivals hall is the responsibility of the Airport Authority.
"Talk to me, Goose..."

modernArt

Tue Sep 09, 2003 8:45 am

ok, why would anyone steal luggage?

Oh, I don't know, perhaps because there's jewelry, cameras, expensive clothing, money and various other valuable things packed in luggage.

BR715-A1-30

Tue Sep 09, 2003 8:46 am

A lot of airports are like that. Here in San Francisco you can go to any domestic baggage claim and you have instant access to arriving baggage.

That's why I always stand at the beginning of the belt. As soon as my bag pokes it's head through the curtain, It is in my hands.
Puhdiddle

United_fan

Tue Sep 09, 2003 8:49 am

LAS didn't do it when I was there in Oct 2002,but they did do it when I was there July 2003. They also did it in LAX in Dec 2001. Those are the only 2 airports I've seen do it. They all should!
"Suspicion is a matter of opinion"

Goose

Tue Sep 09, 2003 8:54 am

Oh, I don't know, perhaps because there's jewelry, cameras, expensive clothing, money and various other valuable things packed in luggage.

People pack the stupidest, most expensive things in their luggage. Plenty are also very careless - I've seen rolls of bills in the outer mesh pockets of backpacks on flights I've loaded. I've seen unsecured laptop cases, where all one would need to do is unzip them to open. And it goes on......

No, really.
"Talk to me, Goose..."

tekelberry

Tue Sep 09, 2003 9:52 am

It's like at virtually all US airports unless you're arriving on an international flight.

The bag claims are for if the bags don't show up and they have to run a trace to find them.

WNfan

Tue Sep 09, 2003 10:40 am

I'm really rather surprised that more bags aren't stolen. Thankfully, it seems to be somewhat rare.

At MDW, claim checks are verified for WN but not for TZ. I was confused about it, but then a WN employee told me it was the airline's policy, as they are on the hook for $2500 per passenger for lost luggage. The carrier employs the people who compare the tags.

I haven't done a survey, but I think at more airports than not, WN checks. I kinda like the idea but it's not foolproof. At LAS, for instance, they would check on the way to the center of the baggage claim area (where the rental car counters are) but not at the several doorways leading out to the curbsides. Kinda silly really.

clickhappy

Tue Sep 09, 2003 10:57 am

as they are on the hook for $2500 per passenger for lost luggage

Sure, but read the small print. They won't cover anything of "value" (Electronics, money, jewelry, art, etc etc)

jpetekyxmd80

Tue Sep 09, 2003 11:04 am

"ok, why would anyone steal luggage? that's beyond my reasoning. "

What is so hard to comprehend here, there is a lot of valuable things in luggage....... Even if it was just luggage, you can always use some nice luggage too  Big thumbs up
The Best Care in the Air, 1984-2009

Northwesta319

Tue Sep 09, 2003 11:15 am

MDW has people checking claims, I was still surprised too see them still working when my WN flight landed at Midnight!

serge

Tue Sep 09, 2003 11:35 am

ok, why would anyone steal luggage? that's beyond my reasoning.

Theres a lot of dumb fu*ks out there. Same type of people that stole my scanner at MIA. Wish I knew who has it, they'd get an ass pounding..

Serge

Dulles

Tue Sep 09, 2003 1:10 pm

I think the rationale for this state of affairs is that the bag owner most probably will be right there and busy looking for his bag on the belt. Even if he is somewhat late, a thief will not have a way to know that he is not among the already waiting passengers. That's why, I guess, theft is relatively rare. Moreover, there are so many hidden cameras in airports, especially after 9/11...

Dulles

Birdwatching
Topic Author

Wed Sep 10, 2003 2:47 am

Do certain airlines have a reputation for losing less / more luggage than others? Also, it would be interesting if someone here in the forum that works in luggage handling can tell us from an insider's point of view what really happens to our precious underwear once it disappears behind the check-in counter...
All the things you probably hate about travelling are warm reminders that I'm home

airjampanam

Wed Sep 10, 2003 4:37 am

I thought I was the only one who noticed that there is NO longer any matching of baggage claim tickets to the passenger.
Not even on international flights.
I flew between LHR and EWR last week and no check was done of the baggage claim and the carousel is no more than 5 steps from curbside.
There isn't even a body there to deter non passengers from milling about the baggage area.
Suing is the new Lotto... if u wanna win u gotta sue!

airlinelover

Wed Sep 10, 2003 4:51 am

At DTW and FNT you can walk in to the bag claim area and grab whatever you want off the belts, and no one would really notice.. (Unless you were un-lucky enough to grab someone's bags while they watched)

Chris
Lets do some sexy math. We add you, subtract your clothes, divide your legs and multiply

jcs17

Wed Sep 10, 2003 5:24 am

At DFW there is absolutely no security or people checking claim checks by the baggage claim. That being said, at DFW its completely cost prohibitive to try and do so. There are probably at least 50 different carousels, probably about 10-12 all spread out in each terminal. In other words, there is a baggage carousel about every five or six gates. Another problem is that the baggage carousels are on the same level as the check-in counters, so people routinely pass through the baggage claim areas with all their bags on their way to the check-in counters.

Another thing is that in a lot of airports if all the airline baggage lockers are being used, they will just put all the unclaimed bags in a giant, unsupervised pile next to the carousel.
America's chickens are coming home to rooooost!

flyinghighboy

Wed Sep 10, 2003 5:36 am

Domestic airports are like this in Australia as well, once i'm off the plane i'm straight down to the luggage pick up and in front where the luggage pops out, once i have mine i'm out of there

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos