Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

B777UA
Topic Author

New Air Carriers

Mon Sep 08, 2003 11:58 am

Hi I live in Moline Illinois and we have a pretty Big Airport, we have AirTran, American connection, ATA connection,United Express, Northwest airlink,and Delta connection. I have recently heard a rumor the America West will be servicing that airport soon, along with Continental express.
We Once had HP there once before with service to Phoenix and it didnt make it. So why would they try it again, now that the economy is bad, and there are less Flyers. any info will be appreciated

Jaws707

RE: New Air Carriers

Mon Sep 08, 2003 1:34 pm

Hopefully HP and or Continental will start service there soon. I guess because it is the Quad Cities the market really isnt that small. I go to college in Peoria and we only have United Express, American Connection, Northwest Airlink, and Delta connection, so at least you have more variety. Boy do I miss O'Hare when I am down here at school.

WNfan

RE: New Air Carriers

Mon Sep 08, 2003 1:47 pm

Folks in the Quad Cities should be very grateful that AirTran and ATA serve MLI. If it wasn't for them, fares would be much higher to many places.

Here's a curious story I have about MLI:

A few years back, my wife was doing some work in Muscatine IA, and one night I was pricing a trip for her to take the following week Sunday through Thursday. I went to Travelocity.com and accidentally typed in CHI-MIL instead of CHI-MLI. Fares came up in the $500 range, but the carrier was Alitalia!

That's because MIL is shorthand for the two airports in Milan, Italy -- Malpensa (MXP) and Linate (LIN). (CHI is short for ORD+MDW, for those who don't know, and it used to include CGX before Daley closed Meigs.)

So I went back and put in CHI-MLI, and amazingly, United and American wanted over $700 to Moline for the same dates. My wife rented a car instead and drove, needless to say.

(This was about three or four years ago and might have been before C8 had the route. Either that or I was actually putting in ORD-MLI.)

In any event, I was startled that flying to Italy was more expensive than flying 150 miles across northern Illinois. The lesson is that AA and UA will screw business travelers unless low-cost carriers keep them honest. A second lesson is that non-stops from Chicago to Europe can be had for $500 in wintertime, even on short notice.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos