Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

UAL747
Topic Author

Your Most Embarrassing Airline Moment

Tue Sep 09, 2003 11:01 am

What's your most embarrassing airline moment?

Mine:

I arrived at the baggage terminal at NRT on a youth trip to Japan only to find my duffel bag rotating on the baggage belt, ripped, with my tighty-whities hanging out of the side. Everyone on the trip saw it, along with some Japanese girls. Everyone laughed at me as my face turned red.

UAL747
"Bangkok Tower, United 890 Heavy. Bangkok Tower, United 890 Heavy.....Okay, fine, we'll just turn 190 and Visual Our Way

MIA777

RE: Your Most Embarrassing Airline Moment

Tue Sep 09, 2003 11:04 am

The flight attendant opening the door on me while I was sitting on the john! I will never forget that one. She knocked but I guess she never heard me respond "It's occupied" so she just opened it somehow...maybe I forgot to lock it? I don't know.
MIA777

TNboy

Tue Sep 09, 2003 11:42 am

I was on a crazy health diet, which involved drinking lots of carrot juice. I had to travel to a conference, so decided to squeeze a big Tupperware containerful and take it with me. I put it in a bag and placed it in the overhead locker. Well, as we neared cruising altitude, the liquid expanded, burst the seal, and poured out between the locker opening, and ran like a bright orange waterfall over the guy in the seat behind. The FA came along and removed the container, giving me a filthy look; but there must have been a reservoir in the bottom of the locker, because when we were descending, another waterfall cascaded all over the woman in front. There were these two bright orange passengers storming off the plane when we landed, and me with a bright red face. I was so worried that I would have the same FA on the return flight, but fortunately I didn't.
Cheers
Bill
"...every aircraft is subtly different.."

FrequentFlyKid

Tue Sep 09, 2003 11:46 am

I was in first class between CMH and ATL on a DL 757. I had an early morning flight through ATL on my way back to school in ORF. I had been out drinking with my friends the night before so I was up and down throughout the hour and half flight using the restroom. (Not to throw-up, just to pee, lol). Anyway, the first class lav's were occupied so I went to the mid-cabin lav's and there was a line. I didn't see a line in the rear of the aircraft so I went to those lav's. Well, on the way way back to the forward cabin I hit my head on the drop down T.V. in the middle of the aisle, in front of 160 or so people in coach. I heard quite a bit of laughing and I returned to my seat. The flight attendant came to my seat to see if I was okay and I was. She informed me that the T.V. was no longer functioning but not to worry. Very embarrasing.

tallguy14

Tue Sep 09, 2003 12:25 pm

I was a Customer Service Rep for UA in Boise-- this was 1996-- and a nice older couple was travelling BOI-SFO-LHR. I was assigned to the ramp that day, but in between flights I went to the ticket counter to help out (gloves, kneepads and all). I checked the couple's passports, checked their bags, and handed them their boarding passes through to London. I told them I would take their bags out to the plane and load them myself.

So off I went with their bags to the ramp and hopped on a tug. Drove them past Gate 10 (where we were loading the SFO flight), and stopped at Gate 11 (where we were loading the DEN flight). Put the bags in the rear pit on the DENVER flight, ever so pleased with myself. It was only AFTER the flight was taxiing away that I realized I'd loaded the bags on the wrong flight! Moron.

And unfortunately there was no way to route their bags so they'd arrive at the same time. Moron!

elwood64151

Wed Sep 10, 2003 4:34 am

My first time operating the gate for the originator MCI-ATL for AirTran. I started announce: "May I have your attention, please. AirTran flight 435 servicing Kansas City to Atlanta, Georgia will be arriving in just a few moments."

This was the early morning originator, so obviously, the plane was already in the gate. However, the way gate 9 is set up at MCI, you can't see it. I had a lot of pissed off passengers wondering why the plane was just arriving when we should have been boarding.
Those who fail to learn history are doomed to repeat it in summer school.

OH-LGA

Wed Sep 10, 2003 4:55 am

It would have been two evenings ago - on the red-eye from SFO-ATL on Delta. I was sitting in Coach, and I had purchased some stuff from the Snack cart (something they're testing - and I really like). I was trying to get the top off the Dorito's 3D Go Snacks can, and all of a suddent *pop* and the top flies across the aisle, narrowly missing the person sitting across the aisle and then coming to a rest somewhere under someone's seat, didn't bother to look. I gasped, turned bright red, and apologized. My friend sitting next to me was laughing his head off.

Kai
Head in the clouds... yet feet planted firmly on the ground.

kilavoud

Wed Sep 10, 2003 4:59 am

I feel embarrassed, or uncomfortable should I say, when a passenger or sometimes two seating behind me and wanting to walk in the aisle, when for standing up from their own seat need to pull back with much abruptness my own seat to succeed in their effort to come in an upright position. And when it is a 12 hours flights they will repeat this stratagem many times. I think they should do it another way, putting their hands on their own armrests to help themselves up. But we cannot change people. We can just change ourselves. This I know. Bye !

pilot727aa

Wed Sep 10, 2003 5:18 am

Mine was pretty bad.
It was on an AA 757 from LAX-DFW. I had just got off of an ANZ flt from SYD-LAX so I was nice and dried out. I get on the AA flt. and see that a large man and his wife are in my seat. (I had the window, and they decided to take it) I just didn't care and decided to take the aisle seat. It was really tight so I offered them to have the aisle seat and I would squeeze in the window seat. (I am pretty small) The agreed and we made the switch. A baby started crying and the man started bitching about the kid, I could tell he was going to be a lot of fun. We are about half way to DFW when I feel my nose start to bleed. So I tap the woman next to me and tell her I need to get up immediately. She sighs and gives off a little attitude and wakes her husband up and tells him. "The boy needs to go to the bathroom". He was not happy as well, and they decided to take there sweet time. I tell them I really need to get up quickly and as I do blood comes pouring out of my nose all over this woman's arm, on the seats, and floor. I went to the back of the plane and people were holding up tissues for me as I walked. The couple was horrified and pissed out and wanted to move. I was so embarrassed. When I got back to my seat the flight attendant had gloves on and was scrubbing the seats with Sky Vodka. I think that was a pretty embarrassing situation myself.
-Brady

Qb001

Wed Sep 10, 2003 5:22 am

When I travel for business, well, I'm dressed for business and I like to wear nice shirts. To do so, I (used to) carry this portable iron to make sure my shirt is always ironed properly.

So I was on this business trip to MSP, about to board the US YUL-PIT morning flight. But that was AFTER 9/11. I had passed the first security checks and everything. I was the last pax about to board when I was pulled aside for a second security check. That's when this lady discovers my life threatening, portable iron in my carry-on bag.

She didn't know what to do. So she asked someone, on her walkie-talkie, about what to do. I told her "listen, if you think it's dangerous, keep it, I don't mind, I don't want to miss my connection at PIT". She said "wait, this won't be long". In the mean time, I hear the sound, on her walkie-talkie, of some guys laughing about this flight which is about to be delayed because of some pax carrying a portable iron. I'm delaying an entire flight because of my stupid iron...

After 5-10 minutes of intense negotiation, that probably went all the way up to the FAA or the Pentagon, I guess (maybe not), they finally decided to let me through, with the iron.

Nevertheless, the FA on this flight kept giving me strange looks all the way to PIT.
Never let the facts get in the way of a good theory.

SunValley

Wed Sep 10, 2003 5:22 am

This is not as embarassing for me,(as it was for the pax if he had known) but a number of years back when I was working the ticket counter, we had a flight arrive, and a well dressed man
who had just arrived off an inbound flight stopped by the ticket counter & handed me his ticket asking me to change his departure to a later flight 1 day later than he was orignially ticketed for. He told me he had to go over to Budget Rental CAr & get his car etc, so I went to work on changing his PNR.
Budget was across the terminal from our ticket counter & I did notice him go over to their counter, and also observed him excuse himself and walk towards the mens room. He later appeared from out of the mens room, with a trail of toilet paper proceeding out of his pants, and dragging about 3 feet behind him, and on the end of it was poo. He proceded to pick up his ticket, thank me for the change, and out the terminal he went dragging his soiled toilet paper.

rongotai

Wed Sep 10, 2003 5:43 am

In the days when things were a lot more casual at boarding and there were no air bridges........ landing at DUS on a flight from LHR when I thought I was going to MAN

Northwesta319

Wed Sep 10, 2003 5:46 am

I was on an ATA flight to PHX when my grandma could not find an overhead place to put her bag, and we were on an overwater 757, so she thought it was strange that they but bins on the celing, not looking at the "Life-Raft" sign, so she opened it and the raft come out, made her feel stupid.

[Edited 2003-09-09 22:51:07]

N6376M

Wed Sep 10, 2003 5:48 am

I had a baby throw up on me while on the NY-DC shuttle about 10 years ago. I was in a suit headed towards a meeting on Capitol Hill directly from the airport. Had to stop at Nordstroms and buy a new shirt and blazer.

Mom could not stop apologizing (though I was mad, I realized that there was nothing she could have done). The vomit smelled so bad, I almost lost my breakfast. I was very embarrasing to have to make it through the airport with a big vomit stain on my suit.

FA were very helpful and tried as best they could to clean up the mess.

fly727

Wed Sep 10, 2003 5:50 am

Well, this is though to say...

I was flying out of Mexico City in a fully loaded F100 bound for Cancun (two hours flight time); it was, as usual, hot and humid. I got a window seat right behind the wing so I was able to see the flaps, spoilers and stuff working. I'm a pilot my self and have had in the past some pretty decent training on Crew Resources Management and some Accident Reduction Seminars which always point out that the passengers are a valuable source of information for the crew. Well, to make a long story short; we taxied out of the terminal, and I noticed that the flaps were not extended to the (usual) 8?? setting for take off. I never knew of an airliner to be able to take off flapless. Full of doubt but with the firm conviction that it was better to speak rather than ending up God knows where, I called the F/A and explained her my concern. She understood right away and said "yeah, I'll tell him" (the Capt), she rushed to her station, talked to him on the phone and sat down for take off. The damn flaps were still retracted; I heard the roar of the RR Tay 650 behind me and we started the take off roll. Freaking scary take off for me. That is when I understood TWO things: Why the F100 is called The Runway Hog ('cause it runs and runs and takes so long for it to lift off) and that it doesn't need no flaps for take off.

Before cruising altitude, another F/A approached me and with some "attitude" said: The captain wants ME tell YOU that this airplane CAN take off with zero flaps. I just said thank you, all embarrassed, but happy with my decision as:
1. I did not give a sh** what the PIC thought about me.
2. The flight did not end up like the Air Ontario F-28 C-FONF at Dryden many years ago (the most investigated aviation accident at the time, which revealed the importance of resources management).

RM
There are no stupid questions... just stupid people!

UPSfueler

Wed Sep 10, 2003 5:56 am

Mine would have to be working the ramp a few weeks back when we were loading a 737 to GSO at ORD. I had this real heavy bag and everytime I placed it on the belt it would roll off. Finaly I got irritated and slammed it on the belt and the strap broke. Right at that time i look up at the plane and I make eye contact with a passenger who mouths " thats my bag!". Oops!, I mouthed "sorry" and gave her a friendly wave, then went on loading the rest of the flight.

emiratesa345

Wed Sep 10, 2003 6:11 am

UPSfueler,

Hahahaha, you definitely handled the situation well! That's funny!

EmiratesA345  Smile/happy/getting dizzy
You and I were meant to fly, Air Canada!

7E7

Wed Sep 10, 2003 6:20 am

Talk about embarrassment!
In nov2000 after checking luggage in for my GF flight to AUH from MEL, I byebye'd my friends at the immigration entrance, where an officer used to stand along a balance. She asked me to weigh my bag which came to be 6 kilos, but then she noticed I had a back bag too and told me that I needed to either check one in, or let the ground staff put a cabin luggage tag on it.

So I walked out, and saw my friends walking away, called them, and we all went to the check in counters that were already closed (staff were still there though).
I came close to this older lady of the staff and told her what happened, and how I did not know anything about cabin luggage tags, she checked my ticket, and said to me:'well boy, you either gonna have to leave one of the bags with your mates, or pay extra!'
Me:'But but I've only checked 30KG's, and it is usual you allow for a further 3KG!' She was not convinced with this, so I continued:'Besides I am only 62KG's'

At this point of the argument, 3 other employees gathered around her, and it seemed that there were no point of arguing, so I decided to pay.
She said:'I am a very nice lady, and I'm only gonna make you pay for 3KG instead of your extra 5KG'
Thinking that I was paying to her? Nope, I had to go to the Qantas counter which sadly was unattended.

Everyone was boarding the plane, while I was still waiting for that assistant to show up. Argh, what a wait
After all this, the lady who was standing by the balance was no longer there!

Going through immigration along some TG passengers whose flight was still in an hour or so that took about 30min, I rushed towards the gate to find it deserted! That is when I heard this announcement in my name.
It was such an embarrassment to walk down the aisle, especially with one of the flight attendants giving me a sarcastic look when pointing to my seat:'you coulda missed that!'

fly_emirates

Wed Sep 10, 2003 6:27 am

I was working a flight from Dubai (DXB) to Doha (DOH) its just 55 minuites, and we were on this 777-300, when i had to announce the descend, i said "Ladies and gentlemen we began descending to dubai international" my bad, every one thought we were turning back to dubai, but i realised few moments and said "Sorry, we began descending to Doha international"

that was my last turn for the day after a 4 days trip, i just couldn't wait till i get home.

SInGAPORE_AIR

Wed Sep 10, 2003 7:03 am

On a British Airways flight from LHR - SFO, I was trying to steal many sanitary towels.

Unfortunately, the drawer would not open and so I forcibly yanked it out so hard that it came out of its position completely. Not knowing what to do, I did my business, stole the sanitary towels and left the empty container in the sink. I tried to position it nicely. An hour later, it was still there. But no one found out on the flight.
Anyone can fly, only the best Soar.

flyingbronco05

Wed Sep 10, 2003 7:06 am

I got to see the cockpit of AA 763 at ORD on our trip to HNL and as I stepped in, I completely tripped on the "step" down into the cockpit and ran basically right into the throttle controls.

The crew laughed and said "that's why we don't start the engines at the gate."

I knew that "step" was there but I just totally forgot about it.  Nuts

FB05
Never Trust Your Fuel Gauge

OOPJV

Wed Sep 10, 2003 7:28 am

When I was going through the security check at Valencia airport last August, the metal detector was highly sensitive. After numerous passes back and forth, and after emptying almost everything in my pockets, the thing finally stopped beeping, so I quickly collected everything, put it back into my pockets and went off to the departure area....forgetting my 15-month old daughter sitting in her buggy at the other side of the metal detector.
So I had to get back again through the metal detector...
People in the queue behind me were only smiling mildly...

JAFA

Wed Sep 10, 2003 9:23 am

I was a brand new FA, and went shopping on my layover in MSP. I was rather pleased with my new shoe purchase. The 757 took off and while the airplane was still climbing I got out of my jumpseat, and slid down the aisle like I was on skates all the way to the back galley. Brand new leather soled shoes, smooth carpet and the steep angle of a 757 on takeoff allowed me to bruise my hips and assault a few passengers during my trip to the back.

delta-flyer

Wed Sep 10, 2003 10:50 am

This was the summer of 1968, I was a college student and had just gotten my Air Canada youth card -- good for 1/2 off regular fare on any flight on standby. So I hustled off to Toronto airport and bought a ticket to Montreal (I think the price was something like $14 one way, with the discount).

Well, it was a busy day, and after several hours, I was next on the list, but it looked like the fifth flight was about to leave without me; when unexpectedly, word came from the aircraft that there was one more seat left. So, I got a boarding pass (no seat assignment) and got on the plane. I quickly spotted the empty seat by the window, and made myself comfy. Meanwhile, I am hearing the FA's talking to each other that there is still an empty seat, so they called up another standby.

Well, we pushed back and it was only then discovered that I had sat myself in first class, and they were not intending that for a standby! Well they served me a drink anyway, even though I was under age in Ontario (but legal in Quebec!)

And the airplane? ... it was a brand spanking new .... DC-9!

Pete
"In God we trust, everyone else bring data"

ua815

Wed Sep 10, 2003 11:55 am

About 15 years ago my wife, two children, and I were connecting through IAD enroute from MCO to PHL. The early boarding for the PHL flight was announced, and since our youngest was small and the lounge was packed, I jumped on the “traveling with small children” criteria and we were first to begin boarding. I turned in my boarding pass and was quite surprised to find the door to the jetway was still closed. So I opened it. All hell broke loose. It was not the jetway door but an emergency exit and I had tripped the security alarm. The jetway door was wide open right next to the exit. About 150 heads in the lounge were up and wondering what idiot did that. My family immediately took on that “we never saw him before in our lives” look while the gate agent scrambled to turn off the shrieking of the alarm. Opps.

Tango-Bravo

Wed Sep 10, 2003 12:26 pm

When I reached into my shirt pocket for my boarding pass printed at an e-ticket check-in kiosk but instead pulled out a receipt from some purchase I had made earlier in the day and handed it to the agent at the gate. Since the boarding pass and receipt were both printed on a thermal paper that felt about the same, I could forgive myself for confusing the two. In any event I reached back into my pocket, pulled out the boarding pass and had a good laugh along with the agent.

Ezra

Wed Sep 10, 2003 12:38 pm

Originally posted by Singapore_Air:
On a British Airways flight from LHR - SFO, I was trying to steal many sanitary towels.

Unfortunately, the drawer would not open and so I forcibly yanked it out so hard that it came out of its position completely. Not knowing what to do, I did my business, stole the sanitary towels and left the empty container in the sink. I tried to position it nicely. An hour later, it was still there. But no one found out on the flight.

WTF???

FrequentFlyKid

Wed Sep 10, 2003 1:07 pm

I read a post that reminded me of another incident that happened to me. I was on a CO EWR-CLE flight last August and it was the last flight out, around 8:30PM. The flight was delayed for over an hour due to the aircraft being late arriving from ELP. After boarding the 737-500, which was completely full, the captain announced a groundstop due to thunderstorms in the area moving over the field. Great, another delay. Normally this wouldn't bother me, but I had to travel to Baltimore the next morning on a CO flight. I got up to explain my situation to the flight attendant and see if I would be allowed off the plane to talk to a CSR in the gate area. The boarding door had yet to be closed so I was allowed. Well, I walked down the jetway to find the boarding door closed. I looked next to the door and there was a button-looking thing and it said "Press to Exit." So, without thinking to much about it I pressed it. Well, the most ear-piercing alarm went off and national guard and police came running down the concourse. I explained what happened and nothing came of it, but still quite embarassing. The was a happy ending though. The CO agent at the desk changed my flight to BWI to a mid-morning flight for me, so I wouldn't have to fly to CLE and turn right around for the airport when I got home.

ben

Wed Sep 10, 2003 5:45 pm

Originally posted by Singapore_Air:

WTF???

It's OK, Ezra, we know all about him.

Singapore_air, how many of them do you need in order to do the sanitary towel absorbency test??? Many?? You emptied the container? what if someone else really needed them? Well how rude! For shame on you!

Maybe you needed them to do both a 'heavy' and a 'light' flow test that time.

By the way, how did BA's dunnies handle the solid waste test? I hope you managed to produce some better (more solid) testing material than on your last SQ flight.

Did you complain to BA for the shameful state of their sanitary towel drawer. I hope so! Shame be on them.

CPH-R

Wed Sep 10, 2003 7:17 pm

Speaking of that flight - I thought he was on a Virgin Atlantic - 49% owned by Singapore Airlines Ltd Pte Etc. - a member of Star Alliance - flight?  Laugh out loud

ben

Wed Sep 10, 2003 7:35 pm

No.

It is a proud member of Star Alliance etc..

Shame on you.

La Carlota

Wed Sep 10, 2003 8:43 pm

Shortly after the shoebomber case, they began to ask you to take off your shoes before boarding.
I was about to board a Swissair flight JFK-ZHR, and I had to, like everyone else. It happened that one of my socks had a hole right at my toe, so it really had a poor appearance. I tried to hide my foot (I was so embarrassed by that!!!), but that became even more suspicious to the security agent, so he began asking all kinds of questions. Eventually I had to show him that I had nothing strange, just a hole in my sock. I boarded the plane without looking back.
From that day, I always try to wear new socks everytime I'm going to take a flight...
Tango Tango Fox

LV

Wed Sep 10, 2003 9:26 pm

After setting off the metal detector they wanded me....it goes off on my pocket....okay, I forgot my cell phone....it goes off again....maybe something in my wallet so I take that out....it goes off on my pocket again...so I finally give up and start taking everything out of my pocket.....only to have the TSA agent pick up my pack of gum and say "here's whats setting it off"....turns out it was the tinfoil that the gum was wrapped in...I apoligized profusly to every TSA agent within listening distance and then quickly made my way to the gate beet red.

CHRISBA777ER

Wed Sep 10, 2003 10:57 pm

I took a flight AMS - LHR with BA (763) and was sat at the window seat. I turned my mobile off before the flight, and all was fine. On decent over Kent the Nokia theme started to play. I ignored it. Wasnt me.

The purser came down the aisle and started glaring at me. My Girlfriend was asleep on my shoulder. Phone still ringing. It was hers, and she had put it in my pocket, as her skirt didnt have pockets! I was so gutted!

Another time, (not strictly airline related but funny anyway) was when i was doing the information desk on deck seven of the ferry Pride of Le Havre when i worked on her. My mates all thought it would be really amusing to stick a used sanitary towel (with wings) to my waistcoat back and not tell me. Didnt realise why all the passengers were laughing everytime i turned around!

Another time, i went to sleep on a LHR-SFO BA flight and had a dream about farting - really dropping your guts when there is something not rigth with your digestive system (post fishermans wharf dinner - shrimps and lobster!) . Woke up. Was true. Had two people i didnt know sat next to me. So embarrassing.

Another time i was on a MUC - LHR LH 737 flight, wearing a full umbro tracksuit. Quite tightly - when i could play football. Was on the lash the nigth before and went to sleep for a few minutes on the plane. Dreamt about the nigth before, and in particular the lady i had met, having stuffed DMks into her thong - red lights - you get the idea. Woke up slouching in my seat, with a very obvious hard on. Both seats next to me were occupied as i recall. Gutted...

Thats about it i guess.

Not nearly as embarassing as having people guess that you have a fetish for sanitary towels though S_Air...

That is truly vile.

What do you mean you dont have any bourbon? Do you know how far it is to Houston? What kind of airline is this???

CHRISBA777ER

Thu Sep 11, 2003 12:04 am

Singapore_Air,

Feel free to deny it dude...

Seriously!

I once made an Australian hat with tampons instead of corks for a fancy dress party, but i think stealing all the snatch pads from BA loos is a bit strange - i would venture it is indeed WARPED.

Unless you are failing to tell us something...

Perhaps its not a SIA pilot you aspire to be, but a "Singapore Girl" instead?

Do we have a woman in our midst? (Thats a change!)

You may find yourself being rather popular on here now that I have revealed your feminine secret...

What do you mean you dont have any bourbon? Do you know how far it is to Houston? What kind of airline is this???

eastbay

Thu Sep 11, 2003 12:29 am

Riding a Continental DC-10, EWR-LAX, middle seat way in the back. Of course the plane was full, and lucky me, a 20-ish Swedish co-ed was seated next to me. Her English was non-existant as was my Swedish, so no conversation. I fell asleep at one point, and awoke to find her fast asleep, head on my shoulder and hand gently grasping mine. In order to minimize the awkwardness I decided to feign sleep until she awoke, which she did with a start after a while. Really, a pleasant way to wake up in the middle of a DC-10!

GoAround

Thu Sep 11, 2003 5:27 am

I still blush, even though I was very small.

I was really young, and going to the toilet (all on my own, bless) when the pilot came on and made an announcement. It was something trivial and unimportant, but it freaked me out so much that I ran out of the toilet naked with my trousers around my legs!

Whoops  Smile

As for my brother, vomiting six times on a one hour flight, once all over the aisle from seat E, hitting people in seats B and C and covering the floor during the food service. Man, I never knew they carry so much paper to clean up with!

GoAround
GoAround

leviticus

Thu Sep 11, 2003 6:05 am

A couple of years ago I was on a Malev flight, BUD-ARN. I was sitting on the right side of the aisle, seat D (737-300) on the right side of me in the middle a handicapped and little bit retarded blind man were sitting, and in seat F a businessman in suite. Already from takeoff the guy on my right side started talking about how allergic he was to salt, and if he eat salt by mistake he would throw up, and he would throw up on me because he always throws up to the left. I was scared as hell  Big grin and when the FAs came with the food he asked for his special meal without salt (on malev flights you always get salty food) but then he realized that he forgot to mention that when ordering tickets, so he only got a regular meal, now I got even more scared. As the guy started to eat he continued his throw-up-threats, the businessman in seat F fall a sleep at this point (maybe because he was feeling secure on that side)... Suddenly, the poor blind guy threw up on the businessman and then he said "sorry, I must have messed up left and right because of my bad language skills".

Thu Sep 11, 2003 6:27 am

In 2000, I was flying on Air Canada from YYZ to YUL, on an A340. I was sitting in the aft cabin (window) and was in such a rush that day i forgot to eat lunch. The flight departed Pearson at 1500, and en-route, the FA's served a snack (roast beef sandwich and potato salad) and beverages.
I was served mine, and literally inhaled the sandwich and salad. I was STILL
starving. I looked up the cabin to where the 4 Hospitality FA's serving my cabin were doing a pick-up. I wasted no time, got out of my seat and dashed back to the rear galley, looking for possible extra snacks. I was literally on my knees, with my back to the entrance of the rear galley, and was opening up trolleys, in search of food (LOL!). Suddenly, from behind me, a male voice called out, "Can I help you with anything, sir" (in a sarcastic tone). I froze,
went red in the face, sloooowly stood up and turned and faced the smirking FA. "Uh.....just looking for something", I mumbled as I dashed back to my seat.

Lesson learned: Stop off at Harvey's or Swiss Chalet in Terminal 2 (or grab food in any terminal) prior to boarding.

ARCJET

Thu Sep 11, 2003 6:28 am

Atlanta Airport June 16,1979

I was 14 travelling alone back to CAE and waiting downstairs for my ride to the Eastern concourse and I really had to go to the bathroom. The Eastern Rep was late and I could no longer hold it and was told by the Delta redcoat not to leave the area and to wait for the Eastern people because i was a "UM". Mother nature was not going to wait and a bathroom was no where in sight so nature took its course. I left quite a puddle but since I was alone no one saw what i did and when the Eastern guy finally showed up, I went outside and got in the car. When we got to the Eastern area, I had to hold my TWA totebay in front of my soiled pants and hope no one saw what happened. I always felt sorry for the person who discovered the rather wet area in the room downstairs...
Charleston, SC

ssides

Thu Sep 11, 2003 6:38 am

Not my moment, but last march I was on an AA flight from ACA to DFW. There were a lot of Spring Breakers on the flight, most from colleges in the Northeast. I went back to use the lavatory, and this college kid came out looking pretty queasy. I went in the lavatory and the guy had puked his guts out into the sink. Sucked to be him, but also sucked for us other passengers who had to deal with the sight and smell.

Another embarrassment for a girl on that flight: she was wearing a souvenir shirt that read: "Acapulc-OH, no you didn't"
"Lose" is not spelled with two o's!!!!

BD1959

Thu Sep 11, 2003 8:59 am

The thing that used to really piss me off about the Airport series was those stupid bastards who delay the departure of a flight....you know the ones, the flight can't close because Mr Smith has gone walkabout. Suddenly they appear a long way off at the other end of the terminal....

I'd caught the 1:00am QF flight from MEL and arrived at LHR early afternoon the following day. I was transferring onto a BA Manchester flight so had got myself over to T1. I was sitting at the Bar when a guy comes up to me and says "You're Mark Waite". I was gobsmacked. It's not like I'm famous and this guy comes up and introduces himself. Never seen him before in my life. Just as he's explaining that he'd found my tickets and passport on top of the ATM, an announcement comes over the PA for me to go to the service counter where he'd handed it in. I thank him profusely collect the passport and return to the bar. I should explain at this point that the T1 gates that BA used were non-lounge gates and the monitors asked people to wait in the lounge area. So I did as I reckoned I'd got another hour to go and the previous hour's flight to Manchester is only just boarding.

So I sit and I sit.

Slowly I'm aware of the fact that BA are paging a Mr Waite flying to Manchester to go to the gate immediately as his flight is closing. "What a coincidence" think I "and the stupid sod will cause the flight to miss it's slot" (remember, I'm an expert cos I've watched 'Airport'!!)

Suddenly I'm overcome by a wave of nausea as I realise that in my stupified, jetlagged state I've misread the 24hr clock and it's me they're waiting for. I then act completely like the idiots on Airport running through the Terminal (and of course the Gate is miles from the lounge) only to discover that there's no airbridge. I run down the stairs and across the tarmac where my loaded BA757 is waiting. I rush up the stairs and apologise profusely to the very pissed FA and - avoiding any eye-contact with the other passengers - settle in my seat....and wait.....and wait.

We're obviously not going anywhere fast. I'm burying my head at this stage wondering how long we'll have to wait until we get another slot when the Captain comes on the PA. "Ladies and Gentlemen, I must apologise for the delay" .... I sink lower in my seat .... "but the engine on the stairs-truck won't start and we're delayed until that can be fixed". Never have I been more relieved that something has gone "tech" !!!

BD1959

TheGov

Thu Sep 11, 2003 11:02 am

About 10 years ago I was working a DC-9 and about departure time the ramp agent came topside to meet me in the jetway. "I have a bag that is vibrating. Can you page passenger XXX and have him or her step out here so I can open his bag to see what is happening in it?" Now of course my mind goes from 0 to 600 mph in 1/2 second. What if I page this person and a woman stands up? Worse yet, a man? Well, off with the page and up steps your average male traveler. "May we open your bag? It's vibrating." Lucky for us and for him, it was just his electric shaver.

Needless to say, it wasn't embarrassing but the potential was HUGE!
Always a pallbearer, never a corpse.

AA777MIA

Thu Sep 11, 2003 11:21 am

Was not my embarrassing moment, but witnessed one. I was helping out at the gate on a flight from DCA to MIA. It was just about departure and we walked down to close the door and a ramper came up and told the agent, we have a problem. A duffel bag was humming, and she needed to page a passenger to find out what was going on. Well they paged the passenger and a man came up and the agent told him what happened. He said I will be right back and he and his wife appeared. We apparently her vibrator had gone off and was vibrating, she was so embarrassed. They were going on their honeymoon. We all kept a straight face, like it happens all the time, but when that door was shut, we about pissed out pants on the jetbride!

cancidas

Thu Sep 11, 2003 12:01 pm

flying from PHX to MRY on a CRJ-700 i think. i bashed my head not once, but 3 times in all. first time was at the entrance door. i was destracted by the very good looking FA. second time, i was talking to the pilot dead heading home when i knocked my head on the overhead bins. third time, while leaving i knocked it on an emergency exit sign. again, destracted by that same FA. well, needless to say my head hurt that night. the worst part, the same FA was on my flight back to PHX. OW!
"...cannot the kingdom of salvation take me home."

ted747

Thu Sep 11, 2003 12:13 pm

Have had a few over the years.

1. flying businness class 767 MEL - SYD, on take off and the steep climb my seat starts to recline by itself, hostess sitting in the jumpseat says "Please return your seat to the up right postion" and me yelling over the noise "I can't - think it's broken" After reaching cruise sure enough the seat was faulty and the front crew had a good laugh as I struggled to lean forward in this huge seat to stop it going back.....rewared me with a few drinks on the way home.

2. again flying business class upper deck, first row on the overnight QF flight from HKG - SYD. After meal service and cabin lights turned down I am watching the movie "What Lies Beneath". At the critical moment when Michelle (cant spell her last name sorry) looks into the bath and sees a dead woman's body a guy is walking up the aisle to use the bathroom and pulls on the back of my seat. I am curled up at this stage with my feet on the seat and wrapped in my blanket. Hell I scream like a big wussy girl and FA come running from everywhere - I just feel like dying......

3. another time flying from CDG - SIN - SYD my carry on had 2 bottles of wine which must have been broken by the hotel porter - they were wrapped in tshirts etc. I loaded them in the over head locker and took our seats. They were not directly over us but a row or 2 infront. Midway to SIN this liquid starts seeping and dripping on other passengers..... The crew ask for the owner of the bag. My wife was asleep after a sleeping pill and 3 bourbon and cokes - I tried to feign sleep but couldn't. Owned up and the crew were very helpful with helping me clean out my bag. But the smell of stale white wine all the way home was gross.....

ped

Thu Sep 11, 2003 1:14 pm

I was travelling First Class on NZ between LAX and SYD prior to them ceasing this flight. Prior to arrival in Sydney after what is a very long sector, I had freshened up, but did not shave, thinking that I would do this when I headed home and showered etc. A colleague who was also travelling in the same cabin came out of the bathroom and had obviously shaved and looked very fresh despite the length of the flight. For some stupid reason, I decided at that moment, that I would go and shave and look more presentable. I STUPIDLY decided to use one of those 'killer' plastic disposable razors that are in the in-flight kits rather than my own. We were well into decent by now and experiencing some medium level turbulence. Whilst trying to hang on through the bumps and stay focused on using this 'killer' razor through a wine/sleeping pill/too long a flight stupor, I manage to cut myself in a number of places including above my cheekbone - a place which does not normally see a razor. This was really a stupid place to decide to cut myself as I could not stop the flow of blood. By this stage the bumps were getting more severe, I have one hand putting pressure on the wound, the other trying to clean the sink, mirror and general area as it now looks like a crime scene of some terrible massacre. The seat belt sign is pinging and I have used every tissue & towlette in the joint. I eventually have to come out beaten and retreated into the galley to seek medical assistance. A very kind crew member put a plaster on my face so big that could probably stop the flow of blood on an amputee patient. So I went back to 3A looking as though I had been street fighting with blood all over my shirt and a huge bandaged face. So must for trying to look more presentable. I will never use one of those stupid razors again!

ckfred

Thu Sep 11, 2003 1:33 pm

I was on AA from YYC to ORD. The F/A had placed the dinner tray on the tray table. I opened the cup of salad dressing and started to pour dressing on my salad.

My wife says, "You might want to take the plastic wrap off the salad." I had poured dressing on the wrap, which had dripped onto the tray.

LoneStarMike

Thu Sep 11, 2003 6:33 pm

I had a double-whammy on the same trip.

President's Day weekend, 1996 I leave work early to catch an afternoon DL flight AUS-SLC. I don't usually dress up to fly, but since I was coming from work, I was dressed up that day. Nice pants, dress shirt and tie and some snakeskin boots. I was smilin' and stylin'.  Smile

I get to the long-term parking lot and as I'm taking my bags out of the trunk, I notice the shuttle to the terminal was pulling away. I thought no big deal, I'll catch the next one.

Apparently someone on the bus, trying to be nice, told the driver to stop, because they must have seen me coming. Knowing all these people were waiting on me, I began to run. Unfortunately one bag was heavier than the other and I kind of got off balance and about halfway to the shuttle bus I fell down in the parking lot.

One bag flew off to the left the other bag flew off to the right and I went down HARD on my hands and knees. It HURT! I'm laying there in the parking lot and I look up and all these people with absolutely dead-pan expressions on their faces were all staring at me, like they were thinking "Heh - Dumb-ass!"

So I get up, get my bags, stagger like a drunkard the rest of the way to the shuttle and boarded. My boots were now all scraped to hell, and I had two giant holes in my pants, one on each knee.

Get to the terminal and there's a huge check in line at the DL counter. terminal. By the time I made it to the front of the line it was about 25 minutes prior to departure.

After checking my bags I asked where the first aid station was and was directed to the police station office. The ladies there gave me some of those antiseptic wipes, and I go to the restroom, drop my pants, and I'm trying to clean the blood and parking lot grease from my knees. I finish up, pull my pants back up, run out of the stall and take off down the concourse.

I make it onto the plane, which was completely packed, and we take off. All through the flight people kept giving me these funny looks. First it was the people sitting next to me, then anyone who walked down the aisle and passed my seat. Even the flight attendant gave me a weird look as she handed me my drink.

Three hours later, the captain makes an announcement that we're beginning our descent into SLC and as I reach down to fasten my seatbelt, I discover to my absolute horror that I'd been sitting there the whole time with my pants unzipped ALL THE WAY and my crotch gaping WIDE open. So much for smilin' and stylin'.

Oh well. At least I was wearing underwear.

LoneStarMike

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos