Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

airjampanam
Topic Author

Aisle Seating

Thu Sep 11, 2003 12:03 am

Is it me or do FA deliberately choose to bump every aisle passenger with either a service cart or their hips as they go up and down the aisles?
I'm not the large by any stretch of the imagination, but I can never seem to sleep in an aisle seat.
What is interesting to me though, I never seem to make contact with any other PAX as I make my way to a restroom.
This may seem trivial, but with long legs, I prefer to ask for aisle seating, and or an exit row.
Am I alone?
Suing is the new Lotto... if u wanna win u gotta sue!

jtamu97

RE: Aisle Seating

Thu Sep 11, 2003 1:06 am

Nope you are not alone, I always sit in the aisle seat and constantly have my elbows and shoulders bumped. It really does not bother me as lond as the attendants are saying the normal, excuse the cart, mind your elbows, etc, because I have a hard time not bumping into people as well. Seems if you waist is greater than 30 or 32 it is hard to wlak normal. Anyways, I just get angry when the cart is being pushed with no regard. I have seen people get in the head several times as well, and I do have to chuckle, cause I think then it is being done on purpose  Smile
Propeller, we don't need no stinkin propeller

airjampanam
Topic Author

Thu Sep 11, 2003 2:11 am

Ok thank you.
I dont feel so alone now Jtamu97!
Suing is the new Lotto... if u wanna win u gotta sue!

MCIB757

Thu Sep 11, 2003 2:29 am

It hasn't happened to me, but my dad got his foot ran over with the cart, I laughed.

Tom
"God bless catastrophe..."

N6376M

Thu Sep 11, 2003 3:07 am

I sat on a jury for a case between an individual and CO Airlines in 1996. The plaintiff claimed that he was "severely" injured by a flight attendant distributing trays of boxed meals to passengers during a flight on Christmas Eve '94 or '95. She purportedly "intentionally" hit his right elbow because she was mad at him for an incident during boarding.

The story went something like this - he tries to carry on what he described as a concrete lawn ornament (he didn't have a picture) - he estimated that it weighed no more than 30 lbs. When he got to his seat, he tried to put it in the overhead bin, when the FA saw him doing this and told him that it was unsafe for him to place it there and it would have to be checked.

He got into what he termed a heated argument with her and finally the FO had to come back and settle things. The ornament ended up in the cargo hold. According to the plaintiff, the incident "enraged" the FA and she hit him in the elbow later in the flight to get back at him.

The case took an entire week! During the defense, CO brought in a mock up of a cabin interior and asked the plaintiff to sit in an aisle seat and have the FA stand next to him. They showed that the angles just didn't work out. Furthermore, nobody on the flight could remember the gentlemen even mentioning that his arm had been hit during flight.

Finally, the defense introduced evidence that he was investigated for worker's comp fraud.

After wasting a week on this, it took us 15 minutes to render a not-liable verdict. What I couldn't believe was that a couple of my fellow jurors wanted to give him a couple hundred thousand because "the insurance company" would pay for it. I simply told them that there was absolutely no way I was going to find liability here - so they could debate the issue as long as they wanted but I had made up my mind.

You've got to love our judicial system.

klik

Thu Sep 11, 2003 4:22 am

A few months ago, flying on BA LHR-YYZ, a stewardess bumped into me with her trolley, and ended up spilling my drink on my trousers. She cleaned up the mess, and to apologise, gave me a few bottles of champaign from Club to take home with me....

That's why I always fly BA... they make a mistake, and know how to take care of it.

klik

ps... happened once before too, with a neighbouring passenger vomiting on my seat while I was in the jumpseat for landing at ATH (pre-9/11).... leather jacket was cleaned by the cabin crew, then they reimbursed my dry cleaning expences, and gave me 10 bottles of the champaign.... just awesome!

Thu Sep 11, 2003 4:31 am

One nice thing about WestJet. They serve off of trays, the trollys never make their way up the aisle. This avoids this problem, as well as the aisle isn't blocked, so you can get by. Do any other airlines do this? I don't like sitting in the aisle, because when there ends up being a long line-up for the washroom, I can't stand people fidgeting next to me.

FFlyer

Thu Sep 11, 2003 9:17 pm

Yes. I guess this happens more often in a/c with narrower aisles. I referred to this in another topic.

I was once in a Finnair A320, and I was hit (knee) by a cart while I was asleep. You can't completely control your arms or legs if you sleep, so maybe I had my leg partly "hanging" on the aisle. In any case, the F/A just more or less accused me about blocking her. She said that these (Airbusses) have so narrow aisles, that they don't have enough space for carts. In fact, I then looked at the (aisle side) armrests of that obviously quite new a/c. Practically all of them were damaged, obviously by carts! I was actually in quite deep sleep, since I had just transferred from a transatlantic leg, and the painful wake-up was really shocking. Maybe nobody else was sleeping right after the take-off, but that doesn't mean that the F/A had to be rude for me. And was not looking when she was pushing the cart.

JAFA

Fri Sep 12, 2003 3:15 am

Believe it or not the FLight Attendants don't play roller cart derby with the service carts. I can imagine passengers thinking that "50 points for an arm, 100 for a leg, 10 for an ankle and one bonus life and 1000 points for the sleeping babies head". Its just not so.

Usually its an accident, I can't see whats on the floor in front of a cart that I am pushing, One time I tipped over my half size cart because some idiot had his laptop case in the middle of the aisle. He was more concerned about his case than the hot coffee, juice, ice and cups that went flying into other peoples laps, not to mention to my dismay that half the liquor mini's were never recovered. hmmm.....don't blame them.

I usually work the 319/320, 747-400 so I haven't bumped into anyone in quite a while with my cart. Those airplanes have larger aisle. The 757 has the smallest aisle of any airplane. I will miss the DC10 for its very large aisles.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos