Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Northwesta319
Topic Author

What Was Your Worst In-flight Experience?

Fri Sep 12, 2003 6:06 am

Mine Was:

Was coming back to Chicago from Little Rock from a funeral, and there were big storms ahead, most flights to ORD and MDW were deleyed, but not our WN flight. We took off early, had a smooth climb, and started to have these little bumps. Seat Belt Sign- Off.

Bumps started getting bigger and harder. Some passengers were starting to worry. Seat Belt Sign- Off.

Bumps started getting smaller again. Then- we just fell about 500 feet, as were we told by the pilots. Seat Belt Sign- Off. Coffee, Water, Juice..etc all over floor.

The rest of the flight was extremely bumpy. They finally turned the seat belt sign back on but after that, most of the passengers were scared, one woman kept throwing up. Seat Belt Sign- On.

We had an extremely hard landing at MDW, as the f/a commented "Wow! Were we shot out of the sky or what?" Made me smile.

The woman who threw up did it again, in the jetway.

We were on a 737-200.
View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Frank C. Duarte Jr.

emiratesa345

RE: What Was Your Worst In-flight Experience?

Fri Sep 12, 2003 6:16 am

My few flights have always been very good.

I think the worst thing, which I don't dwell on because it wasn't a big deal. What had happened was when I boarded the aircraft, the previous passenger had spilt something on the tray table which had dried up but remained sticky. (no it wasn't white LOL) The trays were not cleaned when the aircraft was being serviced on the turnaround and I ended up putting my hands on it. The cabin crew were however quick to have it cleaned up for me, although the cloth was dumped in my hand and left for me to do.

LOT Polish Airlines
YYZ-WAW
July 15, 2002

EmiratesA345  Smile/happy/getting dizzy
You and I were meant to fly, Air Canada!

redngold

Fri Sep 12, 2003 6:18 am

Up, up and away!

steve6666

Fri Sep 12, 2003 9:06 am

No fewer than 4 aborted landings in the middle of a massive electrical storm above Port Harcourt in an AF340 last July, causing the woman (american.....) in front of me to start screaming "We're all going to die", and ultimately the pilot to divert to Cotonou. On the upside, it was 5 hours fewer in Nigeria.
A306, A318, A319, A320, A321, A332, A333, A343, A346, A388, B722, B732, B733, B734, B735, B73G, B738, B742, B744, B752, B753, B762, B763, B764, B772, B773, B77W, B787-8, BAe-146, Cessna Something, DC-10, E175, E195, ERJ145, MD-11, MD-80, PA Something

MxCtrlr

Fri Sep 12, 2003 12:46 pm

I stepped aboard an AA flight (doesn't matter which one - they ALL suck)! 'Nuff said!

MxCtrlr  Smile/happy/getting dizzy
Freight Dogs Anonymous - O.O.T.S.K.  Smokin cool
DAMN! This SUCKS! I just had to go to the next higher age bracket in my profile! :-(

mxp

Fri Sep 12, 2003 9:05 pm

On a Condor flight Vra-Fra we catch very bad weather in the middle of Atlantic dancing for 2 hours.

AZ

Fri Sep 12, 2003 9:31 pm

Among others, I had a terrible take off aboard a Thai 747-300.

During take off, engine number four lost power and we had to stop our run just before lifting off.

It was quite terrible. I was seated in the upper deck. Thanks god, we had enough runway to stop the plane, but pilots used all the brake power they had.

Then we remained almost 4 hours on board, lunch was served and after that,
they informed us that the flight was cancelled due to big problems with the engine !!!!!!!!!!

I was supposed to fly to Bangkok but I choose to fly there via Hong Kong with Alitalia, since I had a Business Class ticket.

Funny thing is that a week later, my father was due to fly the same route with the same plane, but during check in, the lady told "well the plane had an engine problem in BKK, would you mind to fly Qantas to Bangkok?"

Bye.
Daniele

[Edited 2003-09-12 14:35:21]

cancidas

Fri Sep 12, 2003 9:42 pm

i was departing KHWV and flew right into an updraft. well, when i flew out of it i lost about 200 ft of altitude. the problem was that my shoulder harness had opened and come off without me noticing. my head slammed so hard into the bulkhead that i began bleedeng.

the second time i had such and encounter was when i was flying with a freind out of KMRY. he decided to make everything in my hands float (i had done the same to him the day before) without telling me. well, he didn't know that i wasn't wearing my harness. he pushed over really quickly, and i floated into the damn bulkhead. i managed to scare the crap out of him but we still get a good laugh out of it every time we tell the story!
"...cannot the kingdom of salvation take me home."

Cessna172RG

Fri Sep 12, 2003 9:54 pm

Most recent Northwest flights...long and boring, no TV's, no music, no food, just four hours from Seattle to Detroit in a 753 with nothing to do except look at clouds and sit on a very small chair better suited for a DC-9.
Save the whales...for dinner!!!

SPLOBKrakow

Mon Sep 15, 2003 7:38 am

A few years back i was fying from YYZ to WAW. The flight was perfect untill we had to land in Warsaw. Over polish air space the pilot told the pasangers that the weather in Warsaw was very bad, the for completely reduced visibility and we were not allowed to land there.
The plane was sent to Gdansk. The airport in Gdansk at the time was not used for international flights, and as far as I am concerned the air strip never seen anything bigger then an ATR-72. Well anyways we landed in Gdansk, after that 2 other 767 landed on the same runway , one was from New York and the other one from Chicago. We ened up staying in Gdansk for aprox 3 hours.
When we finally got the invitation from Warsaw the plane I was on was the fist to take off. The usual procedures took place , fasten your seat belt.....bla bla bla. As we made our way down the run way and picked up a bit of speed all of a suden the airplane started braking, a few seconds after it came to a complete stop the pilot came on the mic. He told the pasangers that the reason for the sudden braking was a flock of birds that came out of the forest right beside the airport. What was even more supprising was the fact that the pilot did not turn the plance back to the end of the runway, but he took off from were we stopped. That was the most powerfull take off I have ever felt, the whole plane was shaking, and the engine roar was just crazy.

This is the plane we were in:

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © John Kelley

PS : I guess it was not a few years a go but 10 years a go. Time goes by fast, when your having fun!

Type-Rated

Mon Sep 15, 2003 8:45 am

Back in the late 70's I was flying a King Air (SHV-MSP) and we got caught up in a good ole' T-Storm around Springfield, Mo. We shook, rattled and even got a good bit of roll. The instruments were even fluttering from the shaking we went through making them very difficult to read. I kept asking ATC for a different altitude and all they could say was "Altitude change not available at this time". Then to add insult to injury they came back with "5 minutes ago a Braniff 727 went through your area and he reported no problems". We were at 20,000 and the BN was at 32,000! Of course he had a smoother ride, he was up a lot higher.
To tell you the truth, I was pretty scared through that. When we landed in MSP I did a walk around to make sure all the airplane and paint was still there!
Fly North Central Airlines..The route of the Northliners!

aa757first

Mon Sep 15, 2003 9:08 am

Back when United was having trouble with their pilots. It must have been the summer of 1999 or 2000.

We were flying ABE - ORD - SFO. The early morning flight to O'Hare from Lehigh Valley was cancelled and our flight was delayed for 2 1/2 hours. ABE is a great small airport, but it is small. In the "Passenger Terminal" we have a coffee shop and a small magazine shop. I was SO bored. Then we get into ORD, the flight attendants inform us NOT to go to customer service as the line was huge; rather call United directly. Our flight was delayed for 6 hours. Every hour we would call Dollar Rental Cars and tell us our new arrival time. And what made matters worse was the fact we had to drive to Santa Cruz, and hour and a half away.

I was excited of what would have been my first ever 747-200 flight. I was very disappointed when a DC-10 pulled up to the gate. All I can remember from the flight was the flight attendant saying "Chicken or beef, I'm all out of chicken," getting $5 off our next UAL flight (never flew them again), and those DC-10 seats being very uncomfortable! At least our luggage was unharmed and we arrived saftley.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos