Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

flyingbronco05
Topic Author

JetBlue Sued For Giving Passenger Data

Tue Sep 23, 2003 9:39 pm

JetBlue Sued for Giving Passenger Data

JetBlue Is Sued for Giving Passengers' Personal Information to Defense Department Contractor

"SALT LAKE CITY (AP) -- A group of passengers has sued JetBlue Airways Corp. for passing their personal information to a Defense Department contractor.
The suit follows JetBlue's acknowledgment last week that it had given information from about 5 million passenger records to Torch Concepts of Huntsville, Ala."

More at:http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/030923/jetblue_lawsuit_1.html

1) Serves them right

2) Everybody saw this coming.

FB05

luv2fly

RE: JetBlue Sued For Giving Passenger Data

Tue Sep 23, 2003 9:55 pm

JetBlue made a mistake, admitted it and now can we just move on.... I think Carty lying to his employees while the whole time he is working on back door deals for himself and other management staff is worse than this.

luv2fly

Tue Sep 23, 2003 10:02 pm

Why is it all the foreign members hate the US airlines so much?

ZSSNC

Tue Sep 23, 2003 10:11 pm

Luv2fly,

are you talking about me? If yes, please read my post again. I really admire JetBlue for what they have accomplished in such a short time. Nonetheless, they had their own rules about not giving out passenger data. Since they broke that rule they deserve to be sued. Anyways, there were just as many members from the US here saying that it serves them right. So, are US members more equal than equal in this discussion just because it concerns a US carrier?

ZSSNC

luv2fly

Tue Sep 23, 2003 10:17 pm

ZSSNC

No I am not singling you out, it is from my previous reading on this board that it is almost 2 to 1 bashing when it is a US Airline, and the bashing comes from the foreign members. It is like the Boeing versus Airbus bashing.

ZSSNC

Tue Sep 23, 2003 10:23 pm

Luv2fly,

well, I was not trying to bash JetBlue. As a matter of fact, I would really like to fly with them (yet, they don't serve any city in the US I need to fly, unfortunately). The point I am trying to make is the following: if you break the law you need to be punished for it, because if you don't get punished for it why would you stick to the law in the future then? JetBlue admitted that they released passenger data despite it being against their own terms and conditions. Thus they should learn their lesson now by being punished.

ZSSNC

luv2fly

Tue Sep 23, 2003 10:30 pm

They have learned and they apologized and admitted that they made a mistake. Why is it that the solution to every problem is to SUE? What about paying a fine, making a donation to a charitable cause. Why is it make a mistake SUE the pants off of them....

ZSSNC

Tue Sep 23, 2003 10:33 pm

Luv2fly,

sure, a donation or a fine would also be a solution. It would actually help the world more than if people got the money who in majority probably don't even need it.

ZSSNC

luv2fly

Tue Sep 23, 2003 10:36 pm

Also the point to remember is none of the info that was shared was anything like social security numbers.

GSPSPOT

Tue Sep 23, 2003 10:36 pm

Being an American who has flown both US and European carriers, the Europeans are far and above the US carriers in just about any category (from a passenger's viewpoint). I really, REALLY wish the US carriers were up to the service levels of their foreign counterparts, but they just aren't.

Sinlock

Tue Sep 23, 2003 11:46 pm

Luv2fly,

Why is it all the foreign members hate the US airlines so much?

In some ways I agree with you, but I do need to point one thing out.

Airliners.net is based in Sweden. So by a fact of geography anyone from the "U.S." or any other country other than Sweden is a Foreigner

elwood64151

Wed Sep 24, 2003 12:14 am

GSPSPOT:

A big part of that is that our labor costs are significantly higher than in other countries. Next to fuel and the cost of the aicraft themselves, labor is an airlines biggest cost. Wages in the US are generally higher than in other countries (though not all-Luxembourg, for example, averages higher wages). This cuts into how much money they'll spend on ammenities.

Also, many foreign carriers are subsidized by their respective governments. Think AmTrak with a much bigger budget. Makes it easier to offer some of those services. I'm not sure which ones are subsidized anymore, but I know BA went private years ago.

Although I agree with you, they could offer more on US-based carriers and still make money. Take a look at FL: They offer Vanilla Coke and cookies by request.

Back to the topic:

JetBlue was asked by the Department of Defense, a Federal Government agency, to share this information. In their own press release, JetBlue states that no private information was shared, only names, addresses and phone numbers. This is information that the DoD could just as easily have requested the FAA to get. The FAA would then have asked JetBlue for the records. DoD simply cut out the middle-man, the FAA.

richierich

Wed Sep 24, 2003 12:34 am

GSPSPOT must be joking....

From what I can tell, JetBlue is far superior to European LCCs such as easyJet and Ryanair (and arguably N. American LCCs too) because of the service they provide.

On JetBlue, there are roomy seats, now configured to 156 seats in a A320. EasyJet has shoehorned in almost 140 seats into an A319!! I don't know what their pitch is but it can't be good. I know that Monarch, jmc and others also have tightly packed aircraft.

JetBlue has LiveTV... enough said. What do you get on European airlines?
Granted, there are regional differences between American and European LCCs. US carriers typically fly further. Europeans are generally not as "super-sized" as Americans (I'm talking in very general terms here), so maybe the extra room is not that critical.

If GSPSPOT is talking majors, then maybe he is onto something, but I think that US airlines are among the classiest and safest in the world.

I realize I am off the topic of the thread here but my point is that JetBlue is a really great airline. While there are plenty of Americans bent out of shape over this matter, I hardly think my European friends on this website can comment on JetBlue and where its fortunes should lie as a result. That is like me saying that European countries are far more likely to profile passengers than the United States is, who is at least being open about it. It is my opinion only but is not appropriate for this thread.

At any rate, the US is a litigious society and when somebody smells lawsuit: watch out! American lawyers have a worldwide reputation for being blood thirsty and this is one of those situations. There will be people jumping on the anti-JetBlue bandwagon without really knowing much about the case. Some people will do it with the idea that they may get a few bucks back. Whatever.

As I have said before in different threads, I don't think this will amount to much. There will be an expensive lawsuit (for both sides) but JetBlue broke no laws that I know of. They did go against their own privacy statement, and while that may result in bad press, it hardly warrants a class action suit! All for information that is readily available in the phone book.... Doesn't anyone else see that this sounds more than a little absurd?

ThirtyEcho

Wed Sep 24, 2003 12:43 am

JetBlue deserves what they are getting; they lied to their customers and, like any business, they should have to pay as an example to others. This sort of thing comes from bad management at the highest levels; a dead fish stinks from its head.

I used to be a JetBlue fan, but no more. I hope they get a serious downturn in their business as a result.

The only thing that could change my mind is if the Board of Directors lives up to its responsibilities and sacks a whole level of senior management, right up to the CEO.

BN747

Wed Sep 24, 2003 12:44 am

"JetBlue was asked by the Department of Defense, a Federal Government agency, to --SHARE-- this information. In their own press release, JetBlue states that no private information was shared, only names, addresses and phone numbers. This is information that the DoD could just as easily have requested the FAA to get."

Well buckle your seat belts dot-netters...it's all over CNN, the lawsuits are gonna snowball. But the worse maybe yet to come...notice I capped the word 'share'..don't be surprised if in court docs..it surfaces that jetBLUE was paid..yes 'PAID' for participating in this 'program'. I know this statement is gonna piss off all of the B6 employees..but if you've followed any court case from OJ to Enron...you've learned that there are 'always' surprises! And conventional wisdom says this case will prove to be NO exception! It's just the course of 'doing business'. Good luck B6...you're gonna need it and a plane load of lawyers...

richierich

Wed Sep 24, 2003 12:58 am

I think Neeleman and JetBlue will be just fine.
JetBlue is hardly Enron.

captaink

Wed Sep 24, 2003 1:01 am

I think some of the posts here are quite silly. At first everyone is "JetBlue is so nice. "Since the advent of JetBlue other carriers dropped their fares" "The driect TV is great on JetBlue" "It is far superior to ther LCC's"

So they give your name out to the DOD, do you have anything to hide? It is YOUR government and they are trying to protect YOUR country from events like that of 9/11. Or am I missing the real issue here about personal information being given to the DOD. Enlighten me please...

I am not an American nor have I travelled on JetBlue. I heard good things about it. But I am a bit shocked that so easily you guys want them to go out of business. Then what, more expensive fares on AA and the other majors..?

Aaron747

Wed Sep 24, 2003 1:06 am

The 'do you have anything to hide' argument is idiotic. That is irrelevant. We're talking about a matter of principle here.

While it may be different in some foreign places, in the United States, we do NOT like having our privacy invaded. This includes such situations as businesses GIVING/SELLING/PROVIDING information ABOUT US to other parties WITHOUT our permission. It's a very simple concept. And at it's core, despite being a jetBlue fan and having flown them over 10 times now, I can tell you it was a *boneheaded* move on their part.

cdfmxtech

Wed Sep 24, 2003 1:36 am

jetBlues first major challenge.
The lawsuits will flow like water now, once the people realize they probably will win.

Goose

Wed Sep 24, 2003 1:54 am

http://www.wired.com/news/politics/0,1283,60502,00.html

JetBlue 'Fesses Up, Quietly

By Ryan Singel | Also by this reporter Page 1 of 1

02:00 AM Sep. 19, 2003 PT

JetBlue Airways began sending out apologetic e-mails Thursday to customers who are infuriated that the airline gave 5 million passenger records to a defense contractor investigating national security issues.

The form letter, provided by JetBlue to Wired News, confirmed a Wired News story that JetBlue turned over the names, addresses and phone numbers of its customers in September 2002 in response to an "exceptional request from the Department of Defense to assist their contractor, Torch Concepts, with a project regarding military base security."

The e-mail was carefully worded to say that data was never provided to a government agency or used for airline security testing, that the sole copy had been destroyed, and that the Torch presentation was developed without JetBlue's knowledge. The company also expressed regret and promised never to turn over passenger information again without court order.

The letter will not be placed on the company's website, but will go out under the name of JetBlue's CEO, David Neeleman, said JetBlue spokesman Gareth Edmundson-Jones. The e-mail closed with, "I am saddened that we have shaken your faith in JetBlue but I assure you personally that we are committed to making this right." Jones added the company was "flabbergasted" when they first saw the Torch Concepts presentation.

The Torch presentation shows that Torch investigated the viability of airline passenger profiling, by combining the JetBlue data with Social Security numbers, income levels, number of children and vehicle ownership that Torch purchased from Acxiom, a company that sells consumer data.

The potential system would check passenger data against private, commercial databases and government watch lists to prevent terrorists and suspected violent felons from boarding airplanes. In the process, it would code every passenger with a risk level from green to red.

Bill Scannell, a privacy activist who brought attention to the report, said the apology was "outrageous."

"I thought they would announce that they would take out full-page ads in major newspapers in every city they fly to (saying) they would fully investigate the matter and file lawsuits if necessary to find out what happened to their customers' data," said Scannell.

At least one of JetBlue's customers has already spoken to lawyers and privacy groups to discuss a possible lawsuit against JetBlue.

Joshua Gruber, a frequent JetBlue passenger who works for database company IX Solutions, sent e-mails to friends and family members after reading reports of the data transfer. The number of people who responded with outrage to his e-mails grew quickly to about 100, and at that point, the group decided to seek legal advice.

"I was in the north tower (of the World Trade Center) on 9/11," said Gruber. "I understand that security is important, but this is not the way to do it. This is off the deep end. This was the wrong way to go about making us secure."

"I'm pissed off enough for 100,000 people," said Gruber, whose actions led Scannell to set up a website for those affected to sign up for a potential class action lawsuit. "I love JetBlue, watching the Food Network from one coast to the other blows every other airline out of the water, but I'm going to be flying anybody else until they do something about this."

Even when told of JetBlue's new e-mail, Gruber remained unconvinced.

Torch Concept's lawyer, Richard Marsden, said his company still had the airline data and was in process of destroying it. Torch Concepts, whose technology attempts to predict future events such as stock market swings or terrorist attacks on military installations, was working on the project for an Army study, Marsden said.

Marsden, on behalf of his client, send a letter to Bill Scannell on Wednesday demanding that he remove a copy of the company's presentation from his website. The presentation included the Social Security number, address and phone number of a JetBlue customer.

The copy was not, however, on Scannell's server; it was a mirror hosted elsewhere. On Wednesday, all traces of the document and presentation were removed from the website of the organization that hosted the February 2003 conference where Torch presented its paper. A Google cache copy disappeared on Thursday.

The Department of Homeland Security's Chief Privacy Officer, Nuala O'Connor Kelly, whose position did not exist last September, said the incident should never have happened, though her initial investigation showed this study was not under the auspices of the Transportation Security Administration.

"I plan on being squeaky clean on the testing of CAPPS II," said O'Connor Kelly, who said the event should be a wake-up call for everyone in the Department of Homeland Security.

richierich

Wed Sep 24, 2003 3:36 am

"jetBlues first major challenge.
The lawsuits will flow like water now, once the people realize they probably will win."

I'm not so sure, Cdfxtech. What exactly are the grounds of the class action lawsuit? A breach of contract?

While not even JetBlue is denying that passenger information was given out, just showing a breach of contract occurred is not enough (the contract is a company policy after all, not a law). Most other airlines do not have such aggressive policies - I highly doubt people flew on JetBlue for the sole reason that they have a privacy policy. I'm no lawyer, but I believe people will have to show how their rights were violated because of this. Did anyone lose sleep? (If so, it must be because they have a reason to be nervous!) Was someone affected financially? Can it be proven that the data was used for purposes other than a security program sanctioned BY THE FEDERAL GOVERNMENT?? It will not be an easy win for the class action lawyers. Any monetary awards or settlements (more likely) will probably be small, if at all.

I stand by my belief that JetBlue will be fine. They are a great airline and I think that there will be little, if any, hesitancy to fly them by the general public because of this matter. Sure, some people in here are pretty cut-up about it but only because of "principle". Big deal.... no one has proven to me that they were physically/financially/emotionally affected.

mikephotos

Wed Sep 24, 2003 3:43 am

The 'do you have anything to hide' argument is idiotic. That is irrelevant. We're talking about a matter of principle here.

I totally agree. What if you were questioned by the police each morning on your way to work, id's checked, car searched for no reason other than to make the world more secure? Yes, you shouldn't worry since "you have nothing to hide" but it's just wrong. True, this is not the same as what JetBlue did but it can certainly build up to it if you don't keep things in check.

Michael

richierich

Wed Sep 24, 2003 3:49 am

Don't worry Mikephotos,
I'm sure JetBlue is in damage control mode right now and has already taken steps to ensure this type of thing won't happen again (JetBlue retained Deloitte and Touche).
In my opinion, this country has a big phobia over the government having too much control over us. Everyone fears the 'police state' and brings up Orwell's 1984. But we are miles from that. Let's be realistic... it has barely been two short years since a bunch of nutcases brought down four planes and two buildings. Obviously something had to change. Personally, I think most European countries' governments are much more controlling and restricting that the US is.

Greg

Wed Sep 24, 2003 4:12 am

If any of you have flown JetBlue...please contact me immediately! I've got my eye on a nice condo in Maui....
 Smile

Aloha717200

Wed Sep 24, 2003 4:29 am

The saddest part about this whole thing is that jetblue's reputation was spotless until this happened. Then they screwed up, and now alot of that wave of passenger confidence that helped carry them this far is gone.

I expected jetblue's shares to drop after the initial announcement....and they did. And if we see a continuious string of lawsuits against the airline, which is highly likely, you might just see some hard times for jetblue ahead. The media loves to hype things up. You combine lawsuits with high media attention and you have a recipe for disaster. I only hope that Jetblue can weather the storm.

That said, the Department of Defense needs to be sued as well. If jetblue must be sued, so must the federal government. Because it was the Department of Defense that requested this information in the first place. And you can bet that their requests hold alot of power. When the federal government asks an airline or any other business to turn over information, it's pretty serious. Or at least it looks to be. I'm sure jetblue didn't want to tell the department of defense that it refused to cooperate. Embarrassment

Personally I don't see what these people have to gain by suing the airline. Maybe a new car. Maybe some travel vouchers, maybe a million dollars. who knows what the lawyers will try for. According to the article, this particular lawsuit won't seek heavy compensation, but this is likely just the first of many.  Sad

BAJMowiec

Wed Sep 24, 2003 4:30 am

Jet Blue deserved it, in fact I hope they run into financial trouble ... I wonder how much they're getting sued for .

n844aa

Wed Sep 24, 2003 4:36 am

I don't think this will mean the end of B6 -- far from it. I think there will be a few more weeks of unfavorable press, vows of boycotts (largely unfulfilled) and, ultimately, I think this will be settled with the vast majority of potential plaintiffs (probably in the form of travel vouchers.)

It won't be a terribly cheap lesson, but it won't kill them. And on the upside, any U.S. airline will think long and hard the next time the DOD, TSA or defense contractor approaches them with a similarly fascist experiment.

Let me note real quick that I think B6 was unambiguously in the wrong to disclose the information that they did and as far as I'm concerned, they get whatever they've got coming to them. But I don't think what they've got coming will be all that bad.

[Edited 2003-09-23 21:38:40]

wgw2707

Wed Sep 24, 2003 4:56 am

Well, this will certainly be a major challenge for jetBlue. It is my opinion that the Department of Defense did nothing wrong in seeking an airline that could provide this information, and it was not, nor should it have been, the responsibility of the Department of Defense or their subcontractors to verify that the airlines that provided this information did so in a legal manner. If you contract a construction firm to build you a house, and they use unsafe and illegal construction methods that result in the death of one of their employees, was it your fault?

Now as far as what happens over the long run to jetBlue, this will set them back. If it becomes a huge media scandal, it could kill them. I personally would not mind that so much, but my reasons are slightly selfish-jetBlue wants the Port Authority of NY & NJ to demolish portions of the legendary TWA Terminal that was designed by Saarinen. This internationally reknowned architectural wonder should be preserved, and if jetBlue collapses, the likelihood of its continued existence increases. The number of historic airport terminals of architectural quality in the US is declining, unfortunately.

I do however recognize the innovative nature of jetBlue's product and at the same time, it would be sad to see them go. I do hope to take a trip on that airline sometime.

-WGW

jderden777

Wed Sep 24, 2003 4:56 am

what i find ridiculous is that people are wishing "financial troubles" and other nonsense on jetblue now...i can see it now, people yelling "jetblue is the devil!!"... and i'm sure the B6 (and other employees) on here probably won't find your statements to their liking....so you're wishing bad things to happen to their company....well they can sure wish that your company (or if you don't have a company, then your future company or source of income) goes down the drain too....i'm sure you'd like that wouldn't you? i just don't see why people think it's necessary to keep wishing this crap on other people...it's pointless, and it probably won't even come true so don't waste your breath

why can't you just frickin' relax....

aviatortj

Wed Sep 24, 2003 4:57 am

In my opinion, this country has a big phobia over the government having too much control over us.

Umm, I am pretty sure this country was founded on the idea of the government not having control over us. Regardless of that, the privacy policy is an agreement between the airline and the passengers. Whether a conflict with the policy is important or not, the airline has it in place to cover themselves. If they go outside that policy, that defeats the purpose of having one. Whether they lose loads of passengers or remain unaffected by this, what they did is just bad business.

~TJ

cfalk

Wed Sep 24, 2003 5:11 am

How can anyone be harmed by letting the government know your name, address, and where you went to? Unless your involved in something you shouldn't be involved in, of course  Big grin This really is a storm in a teacup.

Charles

n844aa

Wed Sep 24, 2003 5:30 am

I think there's an enormous difference between wishing financial ruin on a company and wishing to see appropriate punitive damages assessed.

Financial ruin almost invariably affects a number of employees, shareholders, and other parties without direct knowledge of unsavory/illicit activities. That is generally not a good thing, but it is a risk inherent to capitalism. I truly, truly feel sorry for any B6 employees or shareholders adversely affected by this incident with which they had nothing to do, but this is part of the way the free market works. The B6 management has acted inappropriately, damaging their company; the market will take note of this damage and act accordingly. But I digress.

On the other hand, ppropriate punitive damages ensure that the company is not only deprived of ill-gotten gains, but suffers for its wrong doing (hence, "punitive" damages), and will think long and hard before again pursuing that same course of action. That is entirely reasonable and I just don't see why anyone would think that B6 should get off with merely a slap on the wrist. When a person breaks the law or breaches a contract, even sincere regret won't get him or her off the hook; why should the rules be different for a corporation?

luv2fly

Wed Sep 24, 2003 5:34 am

Just a FYI / update on stock price of JetBlue / JBLU it was up 4.00% today, so it is not tanking like all the nay sayers are saying and or hoping. Tho AirTran, Continental, Frontier and Southwest are all up today, other airlines might be up tho I only follow these airlines, as I own stock in these five only. Also JetBlue has risen the most over the other 5 for the day.

Another thing to remember is what Company in its history has not had a black eye at one time or another. This to shall pass.

cfalk

Wed Sep 24, 2003 5:35 am

On the other hand, ppropriate punitive damages ensure that the company is not only deprived of ill-gotten gains, but suffers for its wrong doing (hence, "punitive" damages), and will think long and hard before again pursuing that same course of action.

I will agree with the concept of punitive damages when the law is changed to make sure that 1) Lawyers cannot take any smallest fraction of punitive damages as part of their fees, and 2) When all 100% of punitive damages are required by law, to be given to some recognized charity, like the Red Cross, United Way, World Children's Fund, etc.

Charles

flyf15

Wed Sep 24, 2003 5:40 am

I don't think people are getting the idea here. Its not that the government has the information, they already have a lot of it or have means of getting it. Its the fact that Torch Concepts and other private companies got this information. Then it ended up on the internet. And then theres the whole fact that there was a privacy policy which was broken. This is a legally binding contract.

An appology isn't enough for a situation like this.

jderden777

Wed Sep 24, 2003 5:45 am

N844AA:

while i agree with you that there is a difference, i was merely trying to point out what some have said about jetblue recently....see reply 31 in this thread  Big thumbs up

richierich

Wed Sep 24, 2003 5:52 am

Well said, Luv2fly.

JetBlue made a mistake and it will pass, with little financial penalty to a very well-run company. I think people who believe that JetBlue will fold, go out of business, or even hit Chapter 11 because of this are ridiculous. I would have to think it would take A LOT more than this!!

Again, to anyone that flew JetBlue in the past 3 years and may have had their names, addresses, or phone numbers "given" to the federal government (of the country we live in), I'd like to know how you have been violated. Laws broken? None. Financial impact? None. Emotionally? I would beg to differ. Calls from Amway agents who got your name and number from JetBlue? None. The amount of compensation JetBlue received for being involved in this program? None. Breaking of policies? One... acknowledged by the airline and has since been corrected.

I would like to stress that this was not a telemarketing scheme. It was a contractor involved with security for the FEDERAL GOVERNMENT!! There are also a number of people in this country, I might add, who obviously support CAPPSII and would like to see this program instituted. Should that pass, then all airlines will be turning over records to the feds!

JetBlue made a mistake and I am sure they will take steps to right the ship. Class action lawsuits will cost the company in legal fees, but I am not so sure they are winnable cases.

n844aa

Wed Sep 24, 2003 5:56 am

Thanks for pointing that out, Jderden777. I hope you didn't feel singled out by my post or anything, I've just seen a lot of along the lines of, "Leave them alone, the employees will be the ones to suffer!" That may be the unfortunate result, but corporate malfeasance needs to be punished.

In this situation, it doesn't seem very productive for people to say either a.) that life should go on as before for B6, or b.) that some mysterious, undefined misfortune should befall the company.

There's a middle ground there and it's what the legal system is for -- so let's use it. Hopefully a reasonable, fair and equitable outcome will be delivered. And yes, I know I'm being naive, but hey ... hope springs eternal.

richierich

Wed Sep 24, 2003 7:19 am

Show me the money!!!  Smile
This is one class action I do not support.

BR715-A1-30

Wed Sep 24, 2003 7:59 am

I have flown B6, but I am not suing them. In fact, as long as nobody tries to use my information, I'll be fine.

BN747

Wed Sep 24, 2003 10:46 am

Well stated Aaron747 and N844AA....again no one wants to see B6 vanish. And they won't. But this is most likely to be a costly lesson...which is what it should be.

Noticbly, all the 'what's big deal' types...are signed on here 'anonymously'.

BN747

milemaster

Wed Sep 24, 2003 11:33 am

Plain and simple..

People paid to fly from point A to point B. Not to have their information (most likely sold) given to a 3rd party entity for a research project.

As humans, the only thing that's inherantly ours is our identity. Jetblue entered into a binding contract with every passenger that stepped onto one of their planes not to share your personal information with anyone.

That is that.

What's worse is that it wasn't used merely to generate sales for some 3rd party company, but to dig as much possible information up on each and every one of you who have ever flown them.

This is wrong on so many levels...

While I feel their intentions were honorable from the start, it's not like they didn't have people in mgmt that didn't have a clear idea what Torch was doing with the information. Those people should at the very least be reprimanded.

The lawsuits will come.. they will also pass.

ouboy79

Wed Sep 24, 2003 1:19 pm

The number of moronic responses on here is very depressing. What are they suing about? It ISN'T the fact that this information is available in a phone book and that people weren't all that harmed. That seems to be the only come back most people here seem to have. IOW, the "It isn't that big of a deal, forget it" crowd needs to get a clue.

This lawsuit comes down to JetBlue violating their Privacy Policy that they have with their customers. This is part of their contract with the customers. Regardless of some people's opinions - JetBlue violated this contract (no matter how small you think) and has confessed to it.

It may not be a big deal to some, but a contract is a contract in the business world folks. No matter how small the infraction, you can cause a world of hurt. JetBlue made a very poor decision here, they have publically apologized, but unfortunately - you can't just say I'm sorry and get away with it. To bring it down on a level for everyone to understand. You can't walk up to an airline ticket counter, 3 hours late...say "I'm sorry, I won't do it again - I've learned from my mistakes"...and expect to be rebooked or let off without paying a good deal of cash. You violated that contract with the airline. Unfortunately a contract is a relationship...it is a two way streets folks. One party can't change the rules of the game to their pleasure.

JetBlue screwed up. JetBlue violated the contract. JetBlue confessed. End of case.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos