Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

ATA757
Topic Author

What Has Been Your Worst Experience Traveling?

Wed Dec 29, 1999 10:45 pm

My worst experience came a couple of years ago in Monroe, LA (MLU), when I was flying back to Indianapolis (IND) by myself. I was booked on Delta, but we got to the airport and my 727 flight had been cancelled. Northwest had a Saab 340 flight that left an hour later through MEM. Delta transfered me to NW. NW said they had about 5 or 6 open seats on the commuter. So the plane landed, pulled up and all got off, and they cleaned it up and fueled it up and all that good stuff; everyone with NW tickets started boarding, while I waited to see if there were any more seats....

....OF COURSE, IT WAS FULL!!!

NW all of a sudden forgot about me!!! Then NW told me they could get me on a Continental JS31 flight to IAH. But that was full, too!!!

Delta "re-claimed" me and put me on a Delta MD-88 to DFW. (where I would have a better chance of getting a flight to IND). I waited at DFW, by myself, in a little room for 4 hours. AA had a flight to IND at 4:35 p.m.. Someone actually had a seat for me. I got home about 9 hours later than expected.

My mom and dad had been at the airport since about 8 that morning, my Delta flight was supposed to come in at like 9:15 a.m., they waited til everyone got off, and therte was no me!!! The were mad because they didn't know where I was...well, at the same time Delta paged my mom in the airport...the told them that I would be in this evcening on AA flight ??? at 6:??!!! She was relieved!!! So, her and my dad went downtown Indianapolis where they went to the new 5-story Circle Centre Mall, and the newly opened Planet Hollywood!!!

This was just a long day of traveling!!!

What's yours?

ATA757

CV990A

RE: What Has Been Your Worst Experience Traveling?

Thu Dec 30, 1999 12:24 am

Hands down, flying on LACSA, the Costa Rican carrier from Cancun to JFK- The plane was an A320, and it was delayed leaving 2 hrs because of an electronic problem, then they served the meal in the middle of an awful thunderstorm, that I found out later had cancelled flights all along the eastern seaboard, as a result, several meals, mine included, wound up on the floor, the turbulence was so bad. They tried to show a movie, and didn't even get halfway through it before it had to be turned off so we could land at Kennedy. In addition to this, the cockpit door latch was broken, so it was banging as it swung open and closed the whole flight. On the whole it was not a pleasant experience....
Kittens Give Morbo Gas

TCA256

Thu Dec 30, 1999 1:42 am

Something very strange is the check-out when you
leave Ben Gurion airport, Israel. I know they are obliged
to make so strong policies due to the threaths of any
terrorist acts...but what strange questions when
the custom officer ask you kindly "how and when did
you meet your wife ??" or "you're stamped by
US immigration in your passport..why did you go there?"
  Well, that's not my worst experience...mine was to
be forced to stay in the aircraft during a three hour
fuel-stop in Lagos, Nigeria without any possibility to
go out neither a soda or cake offered !!

flyaa757

Thu Dec 30, 1999 4:18 am

My worst experience was several years ago flying from JFK-IST. I was scheduled on DL106 JFK-FRA, and then connecting to DL68 FRA-IST. My first flight was delayed over 6 hours at JFK. We left somewhere around 2AM. Needless to say, I missed my connection. There was only 1 daily DL flt to IST, and all TK and LH flights out of FRA were full, so I was put on a Lufthansa flight to MUC 3 hours later. Once I was in Munich, I was overjoyed to see my LH flight to IST delayed again! It left MUC 4 1/2 hours late. I finally arrived in IST over 26 hours after leaving!

Another terrible experience was coming back from NRT to JFK. My first flight, a UA 744 left on time, but I was quite uncomfortable in the tight UA coach seats for 12+ hours. I arrived LAX at 1030ish, and went to AA to check in for my JFK flight, scheduled for 1230. It was delayed until 130, then 2, then 3. I stood right at the front as boarding was about to commence on the 762 when the copilot came off and told the gate agent that the plane "was dead." The flight was cancelled. The next flight, a DC10 was full, so an extra one was put on, but we needed to wait for an aircraft. We finally left LAX at 630pm. I arrived in New York some 30 hours after checking in at the downtown Tokyo express airport check in area. Driving to Narita from this urban location took nearly 2hrs.

Thu Dec 30, 1999 5:31 am

We all remember last septembers hurricane right? Well, my wife and I had to be at a wedding. We were warned by Southwest Airlines that we may leave Cleveland but get stranded in Baltimore (on our way to Manchester N.H.) But, if we did not get out of Cleveland that night, (Thursday) we may not until Saturday. So we took our chances. They were right!!! We were stranded in Baltimore. No cars, No trains and no buses available because of the weather. If that were not bad enough, we could not leave the terminal area until 5a.m. so there was no coffee to be had. If it were not for a kind hearted security officer who got me a cup, I might not have made it.

The following morning we got in line..AGAIN. We were the lucky ones who stayed at the airport because those who sought shelter at the Hyatt were not at the airport early enough to catch the few remaining standby tickets available.

We finally made it to Manchester and a wonderful young woman at the Hertz counter upgraded us from a NEON to a TOWNCAR for $7 per day...NICE!

All in all everyone was very good to us but considering the amount I travel, that was the biggest nightmare so far.

lax2000

Thu Dec 30, 1999 6:36 am

hey folks, flying air france 747-200 from cdg to sfo was my worst experience..when we boarded the plane i found out i was going to be the meat in an 11&1/2 hour seat sandwich, the bread was fortunately my band mates.then the f/a's informed us our 2 carry on backpacks (each) would have to be stored under us since there was is no more overhead space, meaning since we were at a bulkhead with our bags under our feet our knees would be our main focal point for the 11hrs..
in flight, about an hour after a screaming match between our inraged tour mngr. and f/a insued (over the carry on issue)..i asked if the road mngr. and i could visit the cockpit..unbeleivably they came back from asking the capt. and said yes!! after visting the cockpit for about 1 minute we were asked politely to leave, i dont think the flight crew liked the looks of us, i still couldnt understand why the f/a's even bothered asking the capt. if 2 disgruntled passengers cold visit the cockpit..
i guess any flight with a visit to the flightdeck couldnt be catogorized as bad, but for the remaining 8 hrs the f/a's who by this time formed a mutiny against us by insisting there was no more water on the plane, this is after i guzzled 3 bottles of wine in hopes of passing out in my contorted sitting position. (later i found out from a friend there was plenty of water treats in the back of the plane).
i woke up with an hour left in the flight, i looked like i had rabies i was so dehydrated..anyway after drinking some of the bathroom water (please dont tell me where that comes from) i enjoyed a beautiful decent over northern ca. and the beautiful city of san francisco..i guess this flight wasnt so bad after all
hi from LA, adam

Aviationman

Thu Dec 30, 1999 7:04 am

One time, I had to fly from Montreal to Havana. I was supposed to fly with Canadian AIrlines, but then they transfered me to CUbana airlines. It was the worst flight I have ever taken, there was scotch tape on the windows, and they forgot to close the inside door so it was swinging back and forth the entire flight.

Thu Dec 30, 1999 8:56 am

My worst travel experience occured in October 1997. The aim of my voyage was to join a LPG storage tanker located 30 miles offshore Pointe-Noire in the Republic of Congo. To travel around there was already awkward but at that time, the ongoing civil war made things really bad. It started a Tuesday night as me and another deck officer left Montréal for London (UK) in order to get a visa from the new congolese consulate (the new dictator was in place since only a few days). We went to London because most of the tankers personnel are from UK. From there with our visa, everybody flew to Paris, arriving Wednesday PM, to get our flight to Africa. The problem was that Pointe-Noire airport was shut. So Elf (the oilfield operator) previously chartered an Air Gabon 727 to carry all the relief personnel bound for Congo. With that derelict (the lifejackets had the AA sign on them, the on board safety card were from Trans Air Congo, etc.), we departed CDG for Port-Gentil in Gabon. But, with the poor range of the aircraft, we had to fuel stop in Marakech (Morroco) and Dakar (The air cond. wouldn't work when the aircraft was on the ground but fortunatly the overhead baggage comp'ts were full of beer). We arrived in Port-Gentil Thursday AM where the Thank you for choosing Air Gabon was received with great laughs. Once there, we were brought to the Méridien hotel where there was a pool near the beach, an open bar and a beautiful buffet with something like a bottle of Bordeaux for each. So everybody was in great spirits. What a mistake it was. After all these niceties, we had to take a shuttle boat in the afternoon to get to Pointe-Noire. We left that Thursday PM and arrived in Pointe-Noire Friday AM in the most hellish ride I had on a ship in my career. More than half of the passengers were seasick with heavy swells all night long. We finally arrived in Pointe-Noire Friday AM to past through the customs of the new regime and get again on board for an another hour and half, the shuttle boat this time employed for its normal use ie to carry us from Pointe-Noire to the oilfield. You can guess that we were quite exhausted after that 60 hours ride (had about 5 hours sleep, more for those who could sleep on the flights).

Thu Dec 30, 1999 5:54 pm

We had just arrived in Paris CDG after a long flight from HKG. (Kai Tak) Seeing our flight arrived early, we got on another earlier flight to Toulouse, where we happily got off, all cheery and glad to see our rellies, BUT, because in CDG we changed flights at the last minute, our luggage was on the later flight. So, after about a 2 hour wait our luggage turned up! After all that, catching earlier flights, we STILL had to wait two hours at TLS for our luggage!

Thu Dec 30, 1999 6:19 pm

Without a doubt, my worst experience traveling was back in July 1997 flying from Shanghai to Beijing, China on China Eastern Airlines. The flight boarded ontime and everything went fine until shortly after takeoff. It was a stormy night with lightning, rain, wind and low visibility. Not long after takeoff we heard a loud, unexplainable, bang!! We had been hit by lightning. Not a big deal if you are on an airline with up-to-date NAV equiptment etc. To make matters worse, the captain came on and spoke only in Chinese. All I knew was that the lights went out, the AIRSHOW (which shows on the T.V. screen where you are and gives your stats, i.e. speed & altitude), was indicating that we were falling like a rock. Thankfully, the woman sitting next to me spoke english and so informed me that the captain had instructed the plane to prepare for an emergency landing in some small airport half way between the two cities. I was relieved when the "emergency" landing turned out only to be a little rough but nothing more. We were then told (again in Chinese) that we would be grounded 'till the weather cleared. I was fine with that let me assure you but by now I was ready to get off our trusty A340 and sit inside the terminal and wait. If you have ever been outside of the big cities in China you will understand as I did why we were not put up in hotels - there are none when you're out in the middle of farm country. Anyway, a trip that was intended to last under 1 hour ended up being 13 hours worth of fun! We sat on that stupid plane for 12 hours with the power turned off and no food or drink service.
I know that lighting cannot be controlled but for the love of Pete why could we not have got off that darn plane? Also, I was highly irrated that none of the crew spoke english.
LESSON LEARNED? DO NOT FLY CHINA EASTERN, WESTERN, SOUTHERN OR NORTHERN EVER, EVER AGAIN.

ATA757
Topic Author

Thu Dec 30, 1999 10:23 pm

Sounds like most troubles came on foreign airlines???

ATA757

Amir

Thu Dec 30, 1999 10:32 pm

my worst trip or rather most strange one was from Damascus/Syria to Larnaca/Cyprus. This was back in 1985. It was an Aeroflot TU154 wich was delayed for 8 hours inbound from MOW. Fianlly when the A/C arrived i went in and now comes the best part, i didn't see any flight attendant at all! belive it or not (Flighttime 50 minutes) , i was in the rear section (they had a gally inbetween), the announcements through the PR system were in russian and after landing i went out without seeing any flight crew!!!!! no frills, not even any saftey demonstrations.

The flight back was with a Bac 1-11 of CY, the flight was on time and the crew very nice.

Fri Dec 31, 1999 5:26 am

True story here folks. This story is the reason I will never fly Alitalia again. This was on board a 742 evening flight en route JFK-FCO back in the early 1980's. I must have been about 10 years old at the time and thankfully I don't remember many of the details.

I was travelling with my family at the time which included me and 4 other people sitting in the back of an absolutely packed jumbo jet. Things started out just fine as we departed the gate about 2.5 hours behind schedule but this is nothing new for Alitalia. Before I continue, let me just say that AZ is probably the best airline in the world to get drunk on because their F/A's really don't pay attention as to how many drinks the pax are having....well its the Italian way after all.

So about 3 hours into the flight, this skinny musician-type dressed in all black stands up and takes his guitar out of the overhead bins. Its clear he's staggering just a little bit but no one really seems to notice as he heads into the bathroom. About two minutes later he comes out naked as the day he was born except for the guitar of course. I don't remember the details all that well but I think he started running up and down the aisles strumming that guitar, screaming obscenities, and forcing pax out of their seats using the guitar as a weapon in various capacities. He was throwing things around the cabin, especially food from the meals which had been handed out and making an awful mess of the Y-Cabin.

The crew reaction wasn't immediate and it took about 20 minutes to finally subdue the guy but not before he had also urinated and defacated in the rear galley area and in the aisles. In the end they needed about 8 crew members including F/E or F/O from the cockpit to wrestle the guy and somehow they tied him up. This was in the days before airrage became a major issue so I don't think the plane diverted and we continued safely on to FCO.

Another story was the time I flew TWA's absolutely packed L1011 from JFK-CDG. At the time I was an asthmatic little kid but they insisted I sit in the middle seat of the famous 2-5-2 configuration breathing the thick thick cigarette smoke of all the French on board all the way there (some 8 hrs) F/A's were totally indifferent and that's why I vowed never to fly with TW ever again.

Aircanada

No Wonder Canadian Is Going Down!

Fri Dec 31, 1999 11:42 am

My worst flight was from YYC (Calgary) to YYZ (Toronto) a few years back on Canadian. I was feeling TERRIBLE with the stomach flu (throwing up all night). We were brought to the airport (my family and I) at 7:00am (with a flight the took off at 1:00pm) as the person driving us has to be at an early meeting. Here I was hanging over the toilet for 4 hours until we checked in. At the check-in desk we asked if we could get a later flight as I was in no shape to fly (my face was green). They had 3 other flights out that day, all of them had many seats but they insisted it was "against their policy". I WAS GREEN!!! Forget the dang policy and give me a later flight (I know that's not their policy as I know someone who shows up at the airport early sometimes and they offer him an earlier flight without him even asking them).

After that, we proceeded to the gate and were told that they had overbooked that flight and we might not be able to get on (I was actually hoping that would happen so I wouldn't have to fly in the shape I was in and we'd get free tickets!). We (unfortunately) got on. I was slated to have the middle seat (it was an A320) and there was someone sitting in the aisle. I politely explained my condition to them and asked if I could have the aisle (we were in the middle of the plane) so I could easily make trips to the bathroom without disturbing her. She told me to leave her alone, and sit down (if someone asked me to move to a different seat because of that, I certianly would). I obeyed and sat down. Just before puchback, I needed to puke! I stood up fast, literally jumped over the woman next to me and ran tp the bathrooms where I was greeted by an F/A who told me to use my airsick bag as the seatbelt signs were on. I completely ignored her and walked into the bathroom, and locked the door. I did my business and walked right back out not even looking at her.

The flight was horrible! I managed to take some medicine to (paritally) supress my throwing up. That same flight attendant gave me a cold, small dinner (which I didn't eat anyway). The seatbelt signs turned on for descent and I really had to throw up again! I walked back and this time she had locked the washrooms on me. I begged her to open them, but she told me NO! I barely made it back to my seat to use the airsick bag.

I know PAX are supposed to sit when the seatbelt signs turn on, but come on, if I have to puke! No wonder Canadian went down the drain, I've never had a good experience with them, EVER (I won't even mention my flight back)! We now fly Air Canada and their F/A's are extermely nice and understanding. Somoeone had to throw up when the seatbelt signs were on and the F/A's let him! I think it's the little things that make an airline good.

Well, I've babbled on for a while, hope I haven't put you to sleep.

Happy New Year,
Andrew.

QF747

Fri Dec 31, 1999 1:15 pm

Hi all,

My worst experience was in 1995. I was 18 at the time and this was my first trip and had my younger brothers with me. It was a trip from Melbourne (MEL) to ORD via LAX and Auckland. The flight was scheduled to leave at 5.30pm and everyone boarded at 5.00pm and sat in the aircraft untill 7.30pm due to a technical problem.

Finally we got off the ground and arrived at Auckland 3hours later. The flight was meant to get depart at 12.00am but left at 2.30am for LAX. We arrived about five or six hours late. Having missed the connecting flight to ORD we waited for our baggages to check them in. Guess what?

With the exception of one bag the rest of the baggage did not show up. So we placed a missing baggage form and were put on a red eye AA flight and got to ORD a day later than scheduled.

Or by the way our baggage was found in Frankfurt and later arrived by Delta at ORD. The baggage had tags from SQ, BA and Delta.

Regards,

QF 747
Always fly QF!

QF747

Fri Dec 31, 1999 1:16 pm

Hi all,

My worst experience was in 1995. I was 18 at the time and this was my first trip and had my younger brothers with me. It was a trip from Melbourne (MEL) to ORD via LAX and Auckland. The flight was scheduled to leave at 5.30pm and everyone boarded at 5.00pm and sat in the aircraft untill 7.30pm due to a technical problem.

Finally we got off the ground and arrived at Auckland 3hours later. The flight was meant to get depart at 12.00am but left at 2.30am for LAX. We arrived about five or six hours late. Having missed the connecting flight to ORD we waited for our baggages to check them in. Guess what?

With the exception of one bag the rest of the baggage did not show up. So we placed a missing baggage form and were put on a red eye AA flight and got to ORD a day later than scheduled.

Oh! by the way our baggage was found in Frankfurt and later arrived by Delta at ORD. The baggage had tags from SQ, BA and Delta.

Regards,

QF 747
Always fly QF!

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos