Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

gmunich
Topic Author

How Do You Become Airline Analyst/planner?

Fri Sep 26, 2003 7:05 am

To everybody out there who knows:

I would like to become an airline analyst and/or planer, but don't know what degree I need for that. And where I could get it. I live in Seattle. Please, help!

yyz717

RE: How Do You Become Airline Analyst/planner?

Fri Sep 26, 2003 7:08 am

Any analytical roles these days (financial analyst, marketing analyst, etc) gravitate to the MBA.

I dumped at the gybe mark in strong winds when I looked up at a Porter Q400 on finals. Can't stop spotting.

captaingomes

Fri Sep 26, 2003 7:12 am

Get an undergraduate in finance, economics or something in those lines, and yes, an MBA would help for sure. Also look for aviation consultant companies in your area and try to find out what their requirements are, etc. Hopefully B747-437B will see this thread and give you good advice. Good luck.
"it's kind of like an Airbus, it's an engineering marvel, but there's no sense of passion" -- J. Clarkson re: Coxster

StevenUhl777

Fri Sep 26, 2003 7:19 am

Being a CPA probably wouldn't hurt your cause, either....given that you'd be reviewing a company's financial statements in order to make your projections and analysis, and would need to have an in-depth understanding of accounting. I forgot to see where you live, but if it's int'l., perhaps a CMA (Canadian) or Chartered Public Accountant (UK/Europe) would be the equivalent.

As an example, my boss is a planning manager, and she has not only a finance degree, but an MBA and enough acctg. classes to take (and pass) the CPA as well. She's not in the airline industry, but that gives you some idea of the credentials that folks doing that line of work have.

And oh yes...you must hate UAL Corp.! (Just kidding)

Good luck to you!
And the winner for best actress is....REESE WITHERSPOON for 'Walk the Line'!!!!!!!!

B747-437B

Fri Sep 26, 2003 7:32 am

Hopefully B747-437B will see this thread and give you good advice.

I'm hardly one to advise on career progression. I got into the industry through family connections and blind luck!  Smile

captaingomes

Fri Sep 26, 2003 7:37 am

Well, something like 80% of jobs are found through friends and family, so knowing somebody who's in the line of work is a big help. My only problem is that the people I know don't have very good jobs.  Big grin
"it's kind of like an Airbus, it's an engineering marvel, but there's no sense of passion" -- J. Clarkson re: Coxster

StevenUhl777

Fri Sep 26, 2003 7:39 am

Read your post too fast and only just noticed you live in Seattle, not far from me. Anyway...with that said, a CPA would only help you.

I would consider trying to get a job with AS or Horizon, and that will allow you to not only apply your finance skills, but also learn the terminology of the industry. Both airlines are growing and have solid futures, so I'd check them out, see if they have anything open.

Here's an inspiration for you...Gerald Arpey began his career in 1982 as a financial analyst for American Airlines. This past spring, after his boss Don Carty REALLY f----ed up, he took his place as CEO.
And the winner for best actress is....REESE WITHERSPOON for 'Walk the Line'!!!!!!!!

captaingomes

Fri Sep 26, 2003 7:40 am

I also agree that an accounting designation is a good thing to have. The great thing about an accounting designation is that you will be working towards the designation and getting paid, and the courses you take will count towards your degree anyways. If you plan on getting the CPA designation, take an accounting degree, but try to take as many finance courses as possible. If you manage it right (unlike how I did) you can finish degree requirements and the accounting designation requirements in 5 years realistically, but I don't know how exactly it works down in the United States. After that, an MBA shouldn't really be a big deal, and wont take too long to do.

Once again, good luck!

StevenUhl777

Fri Sep 26, 2003 7:48 am

I'm actually looking into getting an MBA also, and I was told that doing it part-time takes about 2 years. Since you're also in Seattle, the only accredited institutions around here that offer it are Seattle U. and UW, and they're not cheap or easy to get into, but if you can, work your ass off and you'll do well!

caetravlr

Fri Sep 26, 2003 10:12 am

Glad I read this post. I just started an MBA program at the University of South Carolina this semester. Of course with working full time, it is tough, but very manageable. Of course my background is not accounting, it is programming, but it sounds like I am on the right track for that type of job as well. Glad to see some people with some feedback on the subject.
A woman drove me to drink and I didn't have the decency to thank her. - W.C. Fields

elwood64151

Fri Sep 26, 2003 10:53 am

Caetravlr:

U-South Carolina (y'know, it's older than U-Southern California, I should be able to call it USC...) is where my dad got his doctorate. Its graduate program is fairly well regarded.

Back to the Topic:

The top MBA schools in the country are largely the usual suspects: U-Penn (Wharton School), Northwestern (#1 in Marketing), Harvard, Dartmouth, UCLA, and the like. Getting an MBA from any of these programs gets you into the "good old boys" network. As in, you go for a job interview, and the person interviewing you went to the same top-level school you went to. He's more favorable to students from that school. So you're only competing against the other guys you went to school with.

My personal plan is to go to Northwestern since they have a 1-year crash program and are rated #1 in Marketing. I'm focusing in Marketing and specifically in transportation, logistics, and supply chain management (which could be considered either Marketing or Management).

Any MBA program is going to be analytical. CPA and Finance degrees help. Economics less so, since it's less quantitative. Marketing and Management are also good undergraduate courses of study, but won't have the major background in number-crunching. But for the love of God, don't major in Art History and expect to be taken seriously when applying to an MBA program.

And just between me, you, and the rest of the world, take the GMAT, get really good scores, get into the best program you can find, take the student loans, and get into the network. It'll pay off in the end. An MBA from U Penn looks a lot better than one from, say, Southwest Missouri State University. An MBA from Ohio State looks one Hell of a lot better than one from Park University (http://www.park.edu).

My $.02.
Those who fail to learn history are doomed to repeat it in summer school.

caetravlr

Fri Sep 26, 2003 11:13 am

Just from what I have heard around here, I can vouch for what Elwood says. The better the name on the Biz school the more it helps. I chose USC because it was the best school locally that I could find. The other option was Webster, but in talking to other managers and such in the area, the choice became easy. Definitely go to the best school you can manage. If I was straight out of undergrad, and not working full time also, I would have looked a lot harder.
A woman drove me to drink and I didn't have the decency to thank her. - W.C. Fields

STT757

Fri Sep 26, 2003 11:17 am

Jetblue is hiring for the position of airline analyst/ route planner, the job is in Connecticut which is strange since B6 is headquartered in Queens. However Darien is under an hours drive from Queens.

http://jetblue.com/workhere/jobdescdisplay.aspx?jbid=298&jblocation=25
Eastern Air lines flt # 701, EWR-MCO Boeing 757

Shenzhen

Fri Sep 26, 2003 11:22 am

What kind of planner/analyst do you want to become?

Being a CPA won't really help you if your interest lies in Maint/Flight Planning or Maint/Flight Analyst....

AIR757200

Fri Sep 26, 2003 11:26 am

Or just read airliners.net posts for the next several years.

elwood64151

Fri Sep 26, 2003 11:46 am

Caetravlr:

You might wish to consider US.C.'s Master in International Business. It is litterally one of the best business degrees in the country. It's focus is more towards doing business on an international level than Business Administration, but if you're wanting to work for an airline like CO or DL, it can be an excellent opportunity for you, especially since you're already in the graduate program there.

StevenUhl777 & Gmunich:

You might want to consider U Wash. It has a transportation focus and is also one of the top state-school MBA programs out there. And since you're in Seattle, anyway, it's not that far of a drive!

A good place to look for top schools would be US News & World Report or Business Week. Each has ratings of graduate schools. There's a rating of the Top 100 graduate schools out there somewhere, I think it's in Buisness Week.

Also, look at periodicals like Fortune, Business Week, Industrial Week, and others and look for company profiles. They'll list or include information on where the top corporate officers went to graduate school.

caetravlr

Fri Sep 26, 2003 12:02 pm

Elwood,

You are absolutely right about that. After my trip to Thailand and Singapore last month, I wanted the IMBA that much more. The unfortunate part is my work situation. However, if I do really well in this program, and feel that I am willing to take on the loans, I might take the time off to take whatever additional classes I would need to get the IMBA on top of the PMBA that I am working on now. Its the requirement for the overseas internship that seems like it would be the hardest to pull off at the moment.

On another note, the current UAL CEO got his undergrad degree from USC... Oh wait, maybe thats not a good thing... LOL Actually, despite what some people say, I do like him.

Ex_SQer

Fri Sep 26, 2003 12:19 pm

I did my MBA at UCLA. Going for an MBA is as much - if not more - about the network you will build as it is about the knowledge you will gain.

You should do a full-time MBA at a top 20 school in order to get the best contacts and network. It'll be worth the investment. Doing a part-time MBA may allow you to gain the academic knowledge you need, but you'll have a lot less time to network, not to mention that between work and studies you'll have no life.

StevenUhl777

Fri Sep 26, 2003 3:24 pm

AIR757200: LOL! Why spend thousands on a degree when you can learn everything from the airmchair CEO's on the website? MBA from www.airliners.net! Speaks volumes...'nuff said..

Seriously...

Thanks Elwood! Great info, thank you. UW is tough to get into, but maybe that's full time, not sure. They have a great reputation, and I didn't know they had a transportation emphasis, so that's even more motivation for me to check them out.

gmunich
Topic Author

Fri Sep 26, 2003 3:34 pm

Thank you so much, guys!!

Fri Sep 26, 2003 9:56 pm

Business/Financial Analyst:

Undergraduate Aviation Management Degree/Aviation Business Admin
Spend at least 3-4 years at an airline.
Masters in Aviation Management or Aviation Business Admin

Planner:

Undregraduate Urban Planning Degree
Spend at least 3-4 years at an Airport/Airline
Masters Degree in Aviation Operations

Airline Operations/Route Development etc...

Undergraduate Aviation Degree (Anything that allows you to get Aviation Operations Coursework)/Aerospace Engineering
Aircraft Dispatcher Cert
Dispatch (3-4 Years)
Masters Degree in Aeronautical Science - Operations Focus

Be flexible. I did a combination of several of the above and am able to slide back and forth between airports and airlines which is very beneficial. My wife and I both work in Aviation, so having this flexibility makes moving around a more simplified task. You have to be willing to move around in this field, especially in the airport management arena. My wife only works in Airports, but just try find an airport that will hire both of us. In our most recent move, I left Airport Ops and took a position with a consultant doing market forecasting. When we met, I was working for an airline, and then slid into airport ops. We're going to be moving on in 2005-2006 and will be able to look at places that either A) have two airports, or B) have a large airport and an airline HQ, c) an airport with a consultant office in town (as we are now). Certainly expands our options.

Fri Sep 26, 2003 10:32 pm

My older sister was a market planner for the former Wardair Canada Ltd. She by joined the carrier as a flight attendant at the age of 20, then left "the line" after 5 years and entered the admin side of ops, first in YVR, then shortly after that transferred to YYZ. Through the years at Wardair, she worked her way (very dilligently) upwards through the ranks of H.O., learning and educating herself on the carrier and was very proud to have acheived the position of Market Planner, which she held for a few years until the PWA buyout of Wardair.

I suppose one could say she did it the old fashioned way. No schooling, no formal education, just plain old ambition and strong initiative, and yes, luck. I was, and am, very proud of her. But then again, I'm her younger brother, and I plead guilty to being biased.  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

elwood64151

Fri Sep 26, 2003 11:58 pm

From my perspective, I want to work in Marketing, particularly in Market Planning and Development. That requires schooling in Marketing Research, Transportation/Logisitcs, Supply Chain Management, and Advertising ('cause people aren't going to know about your airline unless you inform them of it).

BoingGoingGone:

I'm a little less interested in the Airport Operations side anymore. But that is helpful information to the people who are interested in Airport Ops.

My plan is to graduate from Western Connecticut State University with a Bachelor in Business Administration majoring in Marketing, then go on to an MBA, preferrably at Northwestern since their focus is in Marketing, and their school is seen as the all-around best MBA. Getting in requires I get a 700 on the GMAT, which I feel I'm capable of doing. I could get a lower score if I were going to, say, UConn, but their average score at Northwestern is 698.

Best Schools:
Finance: UPenn (Wharton School)
Management: Harvard
Marketing: Northwestern
Accounting: I really don't know... NYU is a good school...

tripseven

Sat Sep 27, 2003 12:11 am

You don't really need an MBA etc.. JetBlue has route planning/analyst jobs right now... they just want you to have comfort with numbers. Check out: http://www.jetblue.com/workhere/webdisplay.aspx

Also, my understanding is SWA recruits from within and your personality fit is more important to them than what degree you might have. I am getting my MBA currently and don't feel that this degree will put me at an advantage at SWA... it may even scare them off...

SegmentKing

Sat Sep 27, 2003 1:15 am

actually, having a job in Interline is probably the best way to get into route planning / market analysis, as you quickly learn your competition, their routes, the ins & outs of local & national politics, etc.

A degree is helpful, but only if you are doing more on the financial end of planning.

-n
~ ~ ~ ~ pRoFeSsIoNaL hUrRiCaNe DoDgEr ~ ~ ~ ~

mikeymike

Sat Sep 27, 2003 5:06 am

I have a degree in Aeronautical Engineering

my experience include Airframe Manufacture Engineering Experience, Airline Engineering Experience, and now an Airline Analysis position....

Although i am thinking about my MBA, I tell you it helps to know people...

luv2fly

Sat Sep 27, 2003 6:44 am

IMHO - I think you need to know more than just where everyone flies to do this job correctly and effectively. If that was the only criteria then all of us on this board could be filling the job position.
You can cut the irony with a knife

Sat Sep 27, 2003 8:19 am

You also need more than an MBA and a CPA from Harvard, or wherever.

If aviation isn't your life, but something you're just "interested in", find a job elsewhere. Don't mean to sound rude, but for most of us our lives revolve around aviation.

"Not interested in airport ops?". Please. In this business you don't always get to pick and choose".

Do aviation a favor... Find another experiment. One look at most of todays airlines and airports and you'll understand. Designed, managed and built by people who never worked in Aviation before, or even took the time to find out what aviation is about. What a novel way of doing business, no wonder things are such a mess.

Remember, your probably on the outside looking in.

[Edited 2003-09-27 01:25:40]

SegmentKing

Sat Sep 27, 2003 9:14 am

Well, considering I do some of this as a living, I think I know what the job requires  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

Hence the "INTERLINE" reference.

Knowing your competion, where their planes are, how often they're flying, knowledge of ATPCO & the Government Fares System, etc is all part of the job. You can't go to college and just pick up a degree in Airline Analyst/Planning.

Everyone I deal with at other airlines used to work in the Interline Department, and now hold titles such as "Manager Market Analysis, Analyst Interline Programs, Sr. Analyst Intl Pricing & Rev. Mgt, Manager Interline Revenue Management, Manager Pricing/Tariffs/Markets, Industry Relations(I also hold this title), Senior Manager Alliance Development, ".. you get the picture.

I personally research flights, build the daily aircraft rotation, flight schedules, build our OAG SSIM and submit it to OAG & Innovata, work with ATPCO, file our fares, keep a close eye on the regional & local politics, etc. All of these will have an effect on where you fly, and when. One thing we were closely watching was Gulfstream's possible entry into Marathon, so not only was I on the phone with folks in Tallahassee, but also Washington DC and w/ the DOT.

But Luv2Fly, for the most part, Airline Market Analysis job is doing exactly what people have stated: watching what other airlines are doing, watching their fares, fleet level, etc.
~ ~ ~ ~ pRoFeSsIoNaL hUrRiCaNe DoDgEr ~ ~ ~ ~

PHXinterrupted

Sat Sep 27, 2003 9:23 am

"You might wish to consider US.C.'s Master in International Business. It is litterally one of the best business degrees in the country."

Yeah, take advice from a guy who can't spell.
Keepin' it real.

Cody

Sat Sep 27, 2003 9:48 am

When I was 19, (1994) "Airliners" Magazine had a help wanted ad for Continental Airlines. It said something like, "Do you Eat, Sleep, and Drink Airlines? Do you draw your own route maps? Do you make up fake schedules? If so and you have a four-year degree Continental Airlines is looking for you to be a planner/analyst"

Well, I did not have a four-year degree at the time, but I saved the magazine. I completed my degree (Economics) in 1995, and decided to send them a resume for fun. Two days later they called me and interviewed me over the phone. They asked questions like, "What could Continental have done in 1985 that would have that would have presented us with better opportunities today?" "If we gave you Continental Airlines right now and said fix it, what would you do?" "What is a cash cow?" "What is Continental's Cash Cow?" "Was Continental Lite a good idea?" "Why?" "Was it a good idea for us to leave Denver?" "What should we do with the Greensboro hub?"

After question after question, the guy said "well ,if we are interested we will call you in about six weeks."

The next day, another guy called and asked similar questions. Then he said, "if we are interested we will be in touch in about six weeks."

An hour later the guy that was in charge of scheduling and planning called and asked me to further explain my answer to the question about the Greensboro hub. Then he said, "I have only one question, why did you respond to a help wanted ad that was over a year old?"

The next day they called and said, "OK come to Houston for a formal interview." Well now I am scared because Houston is far away and I am only 20. Plus, I had only applied for fun. But I went anyway. When I got there they took me into about 20 individual interviews. I met with ex Muse Air, Eastern, and Texas International folks. They were very interesting people. Then at the end of the day they brought me in front of several people at once. They asked questions like "What is the perfect hub and why?" "Explain why Houston is advantageous to Miami" "If Continental could have only one aircraft type, what should it be?" "What is direct marketing?"

Then I went home. I was nervous because I was a farm boy from a town smaller then Mayberry. I didn't know if I could handle the big city of Houston just yet. I declined a second interview because I decided to go into flying.

Take what you want from my story, but I guess they want someone well-rounded with an interest in aviation. They also told me that knowing airline history was important to them because we could learn from old mistakes. So if I were you, I would get a degree in finance, economics, marketing, etc. and start sending out resumes.

yyz717

Sat Sep 27, 2003 10:16 am

I'm hardly one to advise on career progression. I got into the industry through family connections and blind luck!

Sean, don't be modest! You're clearly a bright guy!
I dumped at the gybe mark in strong winds when I looked up at a Porter Q400 on finals. Can't stop spotting.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos