Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

markk
Topic Author

Continental Fare Classes

Sat Sep 27, 2003 12:09 pm

I just booked a Biz First ticket from IAH-NRT. The fare class is Z. I have not heard of Z. What is it (besides biz first) do you still get the 150% credit towards elite status?

sllevin

RE: Continental Fare Classes

Sat Sep 27, 2003 12:23 pm

It's discount business. I'm not sure if it qualifies or not for the bonus credit.

Matter of curiosity, how far out did you book, how long are you staying, and what did you pay? I'm interested because I may be flying that route soon.

Thanks!

Steve

markk
Topic Author

Sat Sep 27, 2003 12:25 pm

I booked yesterday and am traveling next friday. I paid 4500. But that is
IAH-NRT on CO oct 3rd
NRT-ICN on NW oct 4th
ICN-NRT on NW oct 27th
NRT-SFO on NW oct 27th
SFO-IAH on CO OCT 29th

It was booked through a travel agent.

SuperDash

Sat Sep 27, 2003 12:27 pm

I'm sure it means you will be lucky to get 25% qual miles. CO values it's frequent flyers-Not! Passengers have no clue what a fare class is except that now we will certainly get screwed. Too bad you didn't fly an airline that respects your business. At least the 777 is a bonus.

artsyman

Sat Sep 27, 2003 12:56 pm

You will get full miles for your trip. First of all you didnt book a heavily discounted fare, and secondly, even if you had, the effect of the recent changes to the elite program do NOT take effect until the end of 2004, which is still 15 months from now.

Enjoy your trip

Jeremy

ScottB

Sat Sep 27, 2003 4:14 pm

(1) It doesn't matter because the changes don't take effect until next year.
(2) If you actually READ the article on Continental's web site, you receive 150% Elite AND base mileage for flights booked in Z class, though you do not receive the double segment credit for flights on Northworst.

At least Continental doesn't imprison its passengers in its aircraft for 8 hours at DTW.

Sat Sep 27, 2003 7:22 pm

Don't be surprised if your flights post as something other than "T" class. We purchased tickets to HNL booked in "K" (outbound) and "H" (return); the booking class changed to "T" shortly before departure (this eliminated any hopes of an upgrade). Crapinental's response? 'We deserve the right to make any change(s) we desire; we're Crapinental and we're #1.' Like I've said before, Crapinental always finds a way to screw its passengers.

-IndustrialPatent
(proud to be Crapinental-free beginning 1/4/04)

Sat Sep 27, 2003 9:45 pm

IndustrialPatent's story is a funny one.

Similarly, I bought a K class Northwest ticket for a flight over the Labor Day weekend. All four segments, however, were codeshare flights on Continental. When Continental finished with me, two of the segments were converted to Y class, one segment was converted to D class, and one segment was converted to L class.

The Y class segments were upgraded to F class at the gate, and I flew First class. The D class segment (discount international business class) was granted SNA-IAH, but that's not international, is it? The IAH-SNA L class segment gave me NO frequent flyer miles (and to say I'm pissed about that is an understatement).

How does this stuff get so complicated?

BTW, there is a web site at http://www.system.missouri.edu/uminfo/trv/tr700.htm which lists and describes all current airfare codes.

777gk

Sun Sep 28, 2003 2:02 am

That website above lists general fare classes, not airline-specific. For example, CO has an "R" class but certainly does not operate any supersonic equipment, and our "H" and "K" classes are two of our highest revenue coach buckets. Check http://www.ityt.com/library/fom-serve/cache/89.html for a slightly out-of-date (does not include new low-fare S/L classes to match DL) but generally accurate listing of our fare class codes, restrictions, and upgrade policies.

[Edited 2003-09-27 19:09:50]

Sun Sep 28, 2003 3:43 am

777gk

No difference to me. Both web sites show fares codes as chaotic, antediluvian labyrinths. Continental's are more convoluted than most. But isn't that the real point of this thread?  Insane

Tango-Bravo

Sun Sep 28, 2003 4:59 am

Seems to me that the message that comes out loudest and clearest after all the CO/NW-bashing chips have fallen is... The fare structures and mileage programs of the "legacy" airlines have become pathetically convoluted, to the point of creating the type of strife and discontent reflected in the replies to this and any other topic regarding the same subject. The high-cost "full-service" airlines, consistent with their behavorial patterns, have set themselves up as their own worst enemies once again -- and turned some of their best customers into their avowed enemies as well.

How so?

First, through their myopic insistence on establishing caste systems (even caste levels within the overall elite caste system), then throwing all manner of senseless, high cost largess at the favored members of their caste systems in the interest of buying their loyalty at any cost. All of this in spite of the fact that caste systems and dividing people into haves and have nots is totally out of sync with the 21st century American viewpoint (as well as in most of the rest of the world -- the Asian nation most associated with the caste system has even banned the practice).

The "legacy" airlines thus painted themselves into a corner by turning many of what had been their best customers into high-maintenance, high-cost, low-yield, non-profit freeloaders filling first or business class on loss-leader fares and earning bonus miles toward free travel to boot. Not a pretty picture for the airlines' bottom lines.

Having finally come to their senses concerning the high-costs resulting in negative returns on their unrestricted largess bestowed on members of their elite castes, airline management makes a profound (if obvious to most) discovery: "hey, we can sell all of our loss-leader seats on every flight to low-maintenance, low-cost customers on whom our loss will at least not be as much as it would be if the same fare were sold to an elite."

Thus, the lightbulb in the minds of the airline's management comes on (an all-too-infrequent occurence) and they come up with what is, to most, an obvious conclusion -- but to "legacy" airline management, a brilliant idea: Customers who expect more should pay more. What's more, there are more than enough customers who will gladly pay less to receive nothing more than safe, on-time travel in reasonable comfort between points A and B; none of the added costs of upgrades or bonus miles or preferential treatment expected or needed.

Having at long last reached their "brilliant" deduction, airline management returns to its senses and announces "modifications" to their costly, senseless giveaway programs, only to learn that it is much easier to offer something for nothing than it is to get real once again. Then follows the predictable self-serving rebuttals and threats from the freeloader elites (who the airlines themselves created) and possible backpeddling by the airlines. The airlines then thicken the smoke (as in smoke and mirrors) and shift their bait-and-switch schemes into hyper gear, resulting in still more convolution being added to an already hopelesly convoluted product, which further (and understandably) exasperates everyone and anyone who flies with a legacy airline more than 3-4 times per year. The proof is in this topic and the sum of its replies!

Sun Sep 28, 2003 10:01 am

Richard Anderson maintains NW will not make any significant changes to its WorldPerks program in response to CO ... whether he considers CO's recent changes to be significant, I don't know...

SuperDash

Sun Sep 28, 2003 12:52 pm

It's a shame that Crapinental and Smellta have decided to trash their frequent flyers. The easy answer should simply be, if you are elite today, the qualification should not change. However if you spend bucks on us, we would like to bump you up a grade. It seems like nobody knows what this alphabet soup of fare classes is (except for airline employees). Why not be simple and give a third qual route of points based on bucks spent? But of course, you still get the 1 to 1 miles for qual on elite and you can qual on segments. Then gee, only people would get more elite status instead of getting screwed. I hope NWA stays put. It's nice not to have to fly CO or DL.

atrude777

Sun Sep 28, 2003 1:01 pm

Which is why I like flying Southwest, just fly 8 times round trip and you have a free airline ticket, simple, easy and no hassle. or, until December 31, just fly 4 times round trip and get DOUBLE credit, and then after 4 trips you are automatically sent a free awarrd ticket. SIMPLE!

Alex.
Good things come to those who wait, better things come to those who go AFTER it!

SuperDash

Sun Sep 28, 2003 1:22 pm

And SWA will give you the last seat on the plane with your award. Try that on any major. SWA does the KISS (Keep it simple stupid) thing really well. I am sure SWA would love to carry the CO and DL passengers that now hate the FF program.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos