Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

flyboy80
Topic Author

Alaska Airlines, PDX-STL?

Sat Sep 27, 2003 1:52 pm

Hey all, I was wondering if Alaska airlines has released any info, or talked about the possibility of operating service to St Louis, Missouri, after, from what I heard, AA dropped the route? Could be a nice break for their PDX op!

LambertMan

RE: Alaska Airlines, PDX-STL?

Sat Sep 27, 2003 2:16 pm

AS739X is probably the man to ask on this one. But I doubt there is enough local traffic to even fill a 73NG to PDX. SEA I would think would be a different story, I could easily see them filling one. Plus, for their longer haul routes it seems as though they would like to concentrate on SEA.

kwbl

Sat Sep 27, 2003 2:29 pm

According to DOT statistics, there is an average of 251 passengers per day between PDX and STL so easily enough to suppport a single daily NS. The problem is that many people will still connect through DEN, ORD, SLC etc...I would think the only way AS would do this route would be to codeshare with AA to pick up some connecting traffic. If this route is restored (There has been a PDX-STL ns since 1967), my guess is that it would be WN or possible FL if they build up STL and are looking to add cities in the west. All 3 of those are long shots. AS is really more focused on building Seattle and it appears they are going to continue to turn many of their current PDX flights over to Horizon.

SuperDash

Sat Sep 27, 2003 2:32 pm

I would love to see it, but I don't think AS knows where STL is. EWR/MIA/MCO, yes! But STL? Somehow if it were from SEA, yes they might find it. But at PDX, they seem to be pushing more to Horizon which is equally as cool with me....Free beer! Can the CRJ-700 make STL? Maybe with some Prep-H!
 Big thumbs up

LambertMan

Sat Sep 27, 2003 2:33 pm

I really hope AS739X will come in and help us here. From all sources and rumors apparently FL has no plans to build up STL. BOOOO. WN I don't think is a longshot, shoot, they can support a flight to MCI. There is no doubt STL is a little stronger of a market than MCI anywhere you go. Big thumbs up

atrude777

Sat Sep 27, 2003 10:49 pm

Lambertman-
While off topic is AirTran still gonan start service into STL? Or just no flights period to / from STL?

I would love if AS came in I would not be surprised, if that happens and then WN comes in as well.

Alex.
Good things come to those who wait, better things come to those who go AFTER it!

tzsfo

Sun Sep 28, 2003 3:48 am

AS739X is away for alittle while. We might catch some info from him on Sunday....

But as far as PDX-STL goes I don't think it is even on AS's radar. They are deep into their "Seattle Strategy" and I think they will continue to expand SEA until there is no room left to expand. They either just picked up or wil very soon pick up three more gates in the C concourse which will give them an oppurtunity for a lot more flights.

So I think that in the near term we will see little to no expansion at PDX by AS. We will continue to see flights handed over to QX, because if an RJ is full and 737 is only 50 percent full. Might as well run the RJ and deploy the 737 somewhere else! You will continue to see this "Fleet Harmonization" for a while, I think.

TZ
It takes nerves of steel to stay neurotic. — Herb Kelleher

Leneld

Sun Sep 28, 2003 4:10 am

I think it time for another airlines like Air tran to consider PDX as a focus city and Alaska can leave Portland and send all of it planes plus Horizon to Seattle! . Who want to fly on a crj to Anchorage from Portland or any other cities with over 2 hours flying time since this seams to be the Alaska's big plan for PDX. From this point on all of my future business/leisure travel will be on United..I would rather fly a 737 over a crj700 anyday! Thank a lot Alaska!!!!

as739x

Sun Sep 28, 2003 6:24 am

I seem my buddy TZSFO has beat me to the punch. He is right on the nail. If you see us in STL, it will be from SEA. Most PDX expansion that is done by AS from PDX will be AS filling in on QX route that cant be supported by the CR7 anymore (e.g DEN). I wouldnt expect to much expansion from QX for a while as 9 planes go to F9 express in Jan. I'll try to get a hold of thier delivery schedule. Back to the subject at hand, it will be from SEA if anything specially with us probably getting more gates at SEA when AA moves to the south terminal. Id say STL is in the top 15 cities we are watching.
Leneld, to answer you. You will not see a CR7 in Alaska anytime soon. Don't worry. Our markrting people are top notch. You wont see a CR7 wree its shouldnt be.
ASSFO
"Some pilots avoid storm cells and some play connect the dots!"

EIPremier

Sun Sep 28, 2003 7:48 am

Who want to fly on a crj to Anchorage from Portland or any other cities with over 2 hours flying time since this seams to be the Alaska's big plan for PDX. From this point on all of my future business/leisure travel will be on United..I would rather fly a 737 over a crj700 anyday! Thank a lot Alaska!!!!

The vast majority of AS/QX flights out of PDX that are 2+ hours in length are operated by 737s or MD-80s, and that is unlikely to change. Although QX has taken over five flights to the Bay Area and will soon replace Alaska on two flights to SoCal, Alaska recently replaced Horizon on the DEN-PDX flights and one of the PDX-SMF flights. So, it's not quite the "one-way" street your portraying it to be.

Of course, United has never even thought about "farming out" its mainline flights to RJ operators...  Yeah sure

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos