Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Jkw777
Topic Author

Aviation.. You Either Love It Or Hate It

Sat Sep 27, 2003 10:39 pm

Just something that I have always thought about/noticed. I have made observations when with friends or colleagues. When out one time, I happened to spot a VS B744 at a high altitude and spent a great deal of time with my binoculars watching this fly over when all my friend could think about was opening his beer!! My thoughts were 'DAMN, DO YOU NOT REALISE HOW GREAT THAT THING IS!!'. As I said, it was just a thought. I appreciate things like that where as someone who doesn't have an interest, will just simply carry on as usual. Big grin
[email protected] or +447751242989

767Lover

RE: Aviation.. You Either Love It Or Hate It

Sat Sep 27, 2003 11:18 pm

I know what you mean...I have found that people either completely share my enthusiasm, or they think I know a lot of useless trivia. Of course, I usually glaze over when my boyfriend goes on endlessly about HIS passion, which is audio electronics. I couldn't care less but I politely nod and smile! :>)

We're an odd pair...last night (a Friday) we stayed up late in my home office...I on this forum, and he chatting on his audiofile forum. We're geeks!

planesarecool

Sat Sep 27, 2003 11:31 pm

I don't think so.

When ever i'm at school and an aircraft flies over from Gatwick i will look up and often one of my friends will also. But they're not aviation freaks. They're interested but not amazed of it. Yet they don't go "Ah i can't believe you like that stuff" etc...

-Stephen

Jkw777
Topic Author

Sat Sep 27, 2003 11:35 pm

I am so glad that some one has had the same experiences as me when it comes to aviation. Ever since I was knee high I have loved the sight of a plane and that feeling inside is still with me now. I am just as bad too, I once got invited out and cancelled at the last minute so I could stay logged on to the net and look at the new pictures on this site!!  Smile/happy/getting dizzy Flying is an even bigger thrill. Big grin

Jkw777
Topic Author

Sat Sep 27, 2003 11:49 pm

"I don't think so.

When ever i'm at school and an aircraft flies over from Gatwick i will look up and often one of my friends will also. But they're not aviation freaks. They're interested but not amazed of it. Yet they don't go "Ah i can't believe you like that stuff" etc...

-Stephen"

Good point Stephen, but if that Aircraft was at a lower altitude then its more noticable. Where as i was looking at a plane that was at its max altitude. You don't get people who aren't interested in aviation with bino's watching every plane that comes over (whether its higher or relatively lower) like me Big grin Your friends could be borderline  Big grin convert them Big grin

767Lover

Sat Sep 27, 2003 11:49 pm

I met up with a friend of mine recently and she said she had been to St. Maarten Island in the caribbean over the summer. I nearly fell over wtih enthusiasm: "Wow, so you landed at Princess Juliana airport! That's the coolest airport approach! Did you enjoy watching the planes from the beach? Did they really seem that close?" etc. etc.

She just looked at me like, "Huh?" She said she never noticed the planes.

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Aric Thalman

trnswrld

Sun Sep 28, 2003 12:05 am

Well I also know exactly what you mean, but I also think it all has to do with what other people have experienced. I am an instrument rated pilot myself, my mother has been a flight attendant for a major carrier for 27 years, and my dad an air traffic controller at Chicago center. I have had the oppurtunity to do some amazing things in aviation that the normal traveller never does. For example spend a couple hours in an MD-80 full motion simulator for fun, sit on the jumpseat of a completly empty 757 that was being ferried. The normal person only gets to sit in the cramped cabin of an aircraft simply to get from point A to point B. I have always wished that others could have experienced what I have. I think they may appreciate it more, instead of always wondering why the heck does he always look at planes flying over, or why does he always talk about them! "its just an airplane" you know what I mean?

avroarrow

Sun Sep 28, 2003 12:07 am

Didn't notice the planes at SXM!!!??? Damn, that would be the biggest reason to go there. I'd probably never leave the beach, but then again I'm in the "Aviation Lovers" category. There are a lot of people out there who don't understand a "grown up" being into spotting and airplanes. But what the heck, maybe the fact that it isn't for everyone, makes it seem better for those of us that are "in the club".
Give me a mile of road and I can take you a mile. Give me a mile of runway and I can show you the world.

planesarecool

Sun Sep 28, 2003 12:22 am

Some of my friends are interested in the industry. One even agreed to camp at the end of runway 08R at Gatwick (Well, behind the fence and in the field) with me and another friend. Unfortunately it chucked down with rain so we decided not to.

Some of them aren't interested in the slightest. If they'd ask me what i want to be when i'm older and i'd say a pilot they'd just say it's terrible. Why's it terrible? You get good pay, free stand by tickets with the airline (usually), if you fly long haul you get to stay in different destinations for a few days, you don't actually have to do that much work with modern technology and flying would (probably) be a very fun job to do.

However, some are kinda interested. If we got locked into a conversation about like the flight they flew over the summer etc then yeah they'd talk and they'd know quite a bit about it rather than just saying "It was an aircraft with engines" but wouldn't go as far as going to Gatwick or wherever for 4hrs to spot them.

-Stephen

Gib

Sun Sep 28, 2003 12:42 am

Jkw777

I feel your pain, Man! My Wife couldn't tell the difference between a DC3 and a 744, and doesn't give a flip. It's a passion with us. She just can't believe that my friend and I can tell her the type of aircraft just by the sound of the engine.
------------------------
...and to 767Lover...,

Next time your friend goes back down to SXM, advise her to go sit and wait on Maho Beach for a heavy arrival....and tell her to stand directly under the flight path... Then report back to us what comes out of her mouth. I'd bet it won't be, "huh!" I don't think we could quote her on a.net after that...

Yall have a great weekend!

Gib

767Lover

Sun Sep 28, 2003 12:54 am

LOL! Yeah, to her defense I think she spent her vacation elsewhere on the island — but if it had been me I'd been under the heavies!  Smile

Jkw777
Topic Author

Sun Sep 28, 2003 1:08 am

767Lover:

Are you kidding me!? She didn't notice!

View Large View Medium

Photo © Kees Neve
View Large View Medium

Photo © Edward Pascuzzi

I am exactly the same when people that I know go on their holidays. 'Oh who did you fly with', 'What type of A/c was it' you get my point!? I just cant help it Big grin

TrnsWrld:

Now that's what I call fun, 2 hours in a simulator! The part about people not being able to get over the fact that we watch planes amazes me. I would much rather watch planes than do anything man!

Planesarecool:

Now that is an idea, but you cant rely on the weather in this country! I would like to have friends who share the interest but they seem to be interested in motorsport. For example I went to Max Power Live in Birmingham with the guys, I would of much rather stayed at BHX for the 6 hours then see cars! It would be good to live close to a bigger airport but I live in the flight path of SOU and I get sick of BAe146's and DHC 8's (plus the occasional 733/A320).

Gib:

Its a big huge pain man, when I hear the slightest sound of a plane and I am inside its straight to the nearest window or if I can straight out in the back garden.

Smile/happy/getting dizzy all thoughts and views are appreciated so very much guys and girls.

planesarecool

Sun Sep 28, 2003 2:24 am

Ever since i saw my first pictures of St. Maarten i was inspired by the low approaches of aircraft. I have always hunted to find areas at the end of the runway of which they are arriving (i.e. Hatton Cross for Heathrow etc). I've always wanted to go to that beach and get as close as i can to the action. In fact it was one of my "five things to do before i die" comments during some survey and at school ages ago. To me nothing can beat the four S's: Sun, Sand, Sea and..........Seven four sevens Big grin

We all have our own interests, but aviation seems to be a big one. Hence the amount of posts this site gets every 24hrs. In just Civil Aviation there is usually in and around 1000 posts in the last 24hrs. I think nobody would hate aviation, because in the long run if we didn't have aviation we wouldn't have quick, easy and efficient overseas travel.

-Stephen

Jkw777
Topic Author

Sun Sep 28, 2003 5:20 am

I couldn't agree more with you Stephen. Where would the world be with out aviation!!! When I say hate, I mean they are not enthusiasts if you get me. Any way, thanks for your views and comments  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

POSITIVE RATE

Sun Sep 28, 2003 12:07 pm

I understand what you're all saying. In my case it isn't too bad though as my best mate is an aviation enthusiast and pilot himself, and my other friends i've kinda converted over too  Smile But even when i was like 14 years old i could identify an aircraft flying over at FL300 and the family always thought that was neat, i used to get asked all sorts of technical questions which i gladly answered like: "what are contrails"?, "why do the wings flex up/down"?, "how fast do planes fly"?, "why do they have to fly so high"?, "are planes safe"? etc. etc.

fly727

Sun Sep 28, 2003 12:32 pm

The best solution ever for this problem:

I don't talk to anyone not related or familiar with Aviation. Yes., it is boring in the street. LOL

Just kidding.
RM  Smile
There are no stupid questions... just stupid people!

atrude777

Sun Sep 28, 2003 1:08 pm

hehehehe i immideatly bomb my freinds wiht questions liek where did you fly, what airlien, aircraft where did u sit? etc etc etc. now I have asked them so much..

its gotten to, "well lets see...." to now its "before you ask, I flew DL XXX on a MDXX to XX from XXX The reg is XXXX. "YES, even my friends who DESPISES planes will look for the registeration for me, or at least try to find them if they can ever figure out its in the back of the plane!!! lol

Alex.
Good things come to those who wait, better things come to those who go AFTER it!

Jkw777
Topic Author

Sun Sep 28, 2003 7:42 pm

Positive rate:

Yeah I have been in the same situation, I was once up at EMA for a few hours with my parents and younger sister. We were at the viewing area and there was a few 763's, 752's and some Easy Jet 737's. My mum actually showed some interest and asked me what each of the airlines were. She was amazed by what she had seen, I took along with me a Sony Mini camcorder and she insisted we stay to watch a Britannia 767 take off  Big thumbs up

hmmmm...

Sun Sep 28, 2003 11:23 pm

It's not that people either love or hate aviation, but that they either love it or they are indifferent to it.
An optimist robs himself of the joy of being pleasantly surprised

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos