Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

wgw2707
Topic Author

What Would You Most Like To See In A New Airline?

Sun Sep 28, 2003 3:36 am

Currently, you have to admit that there is a certain lack of product differentiation in this industry. Many airlines seem the same, with little or no difference in terms of seat pitch, on-board service, etc. This standardization, combined with deterioration in the quality of service in several areas, has resulted in a large number of people developing a strongly negative view towards not just one, but all airlines.

Starting a new airline nowadays depends, in my opinion, largely on the ability of the new airline to differentiate itself from its competitors, through providing lower fares, better seat pitch, or different standards of service.

That said, what would you like to see in a new airline? Cheap fares, more leg room, better service? Please go into detail. I will look forward to reading your replies.

-WGW

flyabr

RE: What Would You Most Like To See In A New Airline?

Sun Sep 28, 2003 3:48 am

in a word...LEGROOM. it appears most airline cattle car seats/coach class sections were devised around the dimensions of a midget! the seats need to be a tad wider too...but i digress.

Sun Sep 28, 2003 3:50 am

Meal Service. I miss the days of hot meals inflight that I didn't have to pay for.
More Recline. This would be nice, especially on longer segments.
Budget fares. Cheap is usually its namesake and expensive is the same. Nicely price fares everyday.

Just my thoughts.

Sun Sep 28, 2003 3:59 am

Kinda like Midwest. Gimme some leg room and don't make me sit on the guy next to me. We all need just a little more space. I could go without a meal, just give me space to roam.

wgw2707
Topic Author

Sun Sep 28, 2003 7:47 am

What about providing a small in-flight lounge area on some of the widebodied aircraft, do any of you think this would be feasible and at the same time enhance the in-flight experience?

atrude777

RE: What Would You Most Like To See In A New Airli

Sun Sep 28, 2003 12:36 pm

I prefer the seats be wider over then more legroom. I would like a nice meal, with flights over 2 hours(around dinner and lunch time) or a nice fruit bowl during morning over two hours for breakfast liek Great Plaines does. I really love the idea of a flight lounge!!! Cheap fares woudl help, but if I have to pay a little biut more ot get the things I mentioned I would not mind!!

Alex.
Good things come to those who wait, better things come to those who go AFTER it!

Midway2AirTran

Sun Sep 28, 2003 1:27 pm

Simplified fare structure!! Good pitch is nice, clean, modern a/c, leather seats, snack packs with healthier options, nice crew members and direct flights. Guess that's not too much to ask!  Laugh out loud

However, I do miss the hot-towels, breathmints, friendly FA's and cushy leather seats back in the Midway days too!!  Crying

R.I.P. Midway!
"Life is short, but your delay in ATL is not."

fly727

Sun Sep 28, 2003 1:29 pm

Nice meals you don't have to pay for.
Bring back the romance? or that something of the 60's and 70's into today's aviation.

RM  Smile
There are no stupid questions... just stupid people!

zrs70

Sun Sep 28, 2003 1:34 pm

One thing we should all keep in mind....

Airfares today are so low compared to fares in the 60's and 70's.

I remember paying $300 for a roundtrip BOS-ORD in 1983. That was a goodn fare then. But it would seem expensive today.

And yet, we still want all the amenities.

I, too, want more legroom, better meals, wider seats, etc. But what does $300 from 1983 equal today? Would I pay that much? Not sure.
20 year airliners.net vet! 2000-2020

wgw2707
Topic Author

Sun Sep 28, 2003 4:43 pm

One concept I would like to see would an airline that charged money for food in Y class, but served really high standards of cuisine. For instance, you could order for $30.00 a Prime Rib Dinner, with a huge cut of prime rib, served with horseradish sauce and au jus, preceeded by a cup of soup or an appropriate appetizer, and followed by a choice of one of five deserts from a desert cart.

Or alternately, for $10.00 you could get a steak sandwich a'la carte, for $5.00 a slice of pizza and a soft drink, or for $3.50 a cup of soup.

Facillitating this kind of selection will be difficult however. The best way to accomplish this would be to enable passengers to select their meals at the same time that they purchase their ticket, as is already done now with special meals like Kosher, Vegetarian, Asian, Low Carbohydrate etc.

-WGW

Boeing Nut

Sun Sep 28, 2003 10:27 pm

These are all very good suggestions. (I love these "fantasy posts", so I just have to put in my ideas)  Laugh out loud

Meal service - Definite upgrades are needed. However, the fanancial part of it is contrversial. My angle would be to have the passenger pay for the high end meals. Have them order it when they purchase thier tickets. Then served whenver they wanted it during flight. Saves the airline money, and the other guy doesn't get "jipped" (sp?) In economy, or leisure class as I would call it, everyone gets a meal. If there are enough left over, hell, let someone have seconds! Why not? I bet they get thrown out anyway.

Seat pitch/width - Minimum of 33" pitch. Also, 24" minimum width. This would mean five across in 737's/757's. First class domestic would have reclining seats of 50"+ pitch. Think about it. You watch TV shows at home for an hour or more in your recliner. Or at least with you feet up on the couch or table. First class international on narrow bodies would be the "suite seats" in a herring bone configuration. A la British Airways.

Entertainment - Every seat would have individual capabilities. Ability to play games and CD's and even DVD's. Movies of your choice on board. Noise cancelling headsets.

Service - Probably the most important thing. I have been on some bad flights which were made pleasurable with the good service. Have some type of rewards program for employees.

Flights - More point-to-point service than capacity. A maximum of one layover for every destination.

Fleet - Probably all Boeing. Yea, yea, yea, I know. But hey! It's MY airline!  Laugh out loud
I'm not a real aeronautical engineer, I just play one on Airliners.net.

wgw2707
Topic Author

Mon Sep 29, 2003 5:13 am

I must thank you all for your replies. Many suggestions here are valid and could be combined to come up with an in-flight service plan that would be both cost-effective, and superior to anything currently offered.

I would, in particular, like to thank Boeing Jets for the outstanding quality of some of the ideas he suggested. Using some input from everyone, what would you think about this concept?

Economy Class
*Seat Pitch, 35"
*Seat Width, 18-24" (depending on aircraft)
*Upgrades To DeLuxe Meals
Throughout Aircraft
*In Seat IFE system with airfone, video-on-demand PTV, games, and e-mail.
*20 Audio Channels
*Noise Cancelling Head Sets
*Mid-aircraft lounge area on widebodied aircraft making flight in excess of 6 hours duration
First Class:
*Seat Pitch, 41"
*DeLuxe Meals Included
*Business Facilities

Other Services:
*Merit System to reward employees for good service (Merit Points could be used towards bonuses or other rewards)
*Pre-Booking of Meals with ticket purchase
*Enhanced Gate Service, with friendy G/As, sophisticated boarding information, and vending machines.
*Improved Baggage Handling-with a coupon for a free roundtrip flight if your bag does not arrive.

What do you think?

-WGW

airways6max

Mon Sep 29, 2003 5:20 am

I agree with WGW. All of those sound great. How about some airline service like they used to provide?

wgw2707
Topic Author

Mon Sep 29, 2003 7:16 am

Unfortunately, one thing that won't come back, and can't come back is free gourmet meals in Coach. Even in the heyday of the Airlines these were not THAT good, as I have seen movies from the 1960s that contained jokes referencing "Airline Food." Now, in the super competitive price wars for coach class travel, the best way to revive this, is to give passengers the option of ordering it when they book their ticket, or in some cases, on board.

-WGW

brianhames

Mon Sep 29, 2003 7:28 am

I'm 6'9" so my vote goes for more legroom.

Brian

FLAIRPORT

Mon Sep 29, 2003 7:28 am

1) Me as the head of it
2) flight attendents with sexy uniforms (gotta keep it kind of close to approiate here, but you know what i;m thinking!!!!!)
3) sexy flight attendents to wear the uniforms (again, I'll stop there!)
4) 2 words: SLEEPER CABINS!... like on trains, for long distance flights
5) food court. McDonalds, Taco Bell, Pollo Tropical (Floridians know what that is)
NEXT FLIGHT: FLL-ATL-HPN on FL

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos