Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Randy4920
Topic Author

Southwest RED-EYES

Fri Oct 10, 2003 11:32 am

why does Southwest not fly red-eye flights?

SuperDash

RE: Southwest RED-EYES

Fri Oct 10, 2003 11:49 am

It's a good question. Probably more about history. Only recently did SWA enter routes long enough with enough time zone changes that redeyes make sense. With the 73G they can do nighttime transcon flying. I bet if they are thinking about assigned seats, red-eyes have to be in the hopper as well. Increased aircraft utilization = lower overall unit costs. Just what the majors what to hear...Lower costs at SWA.

bmia330

Fri Oct 10, 2003 11:51 am

They do. For Instance

On Everyday but Saturday:

Southwest Airlines flight 2852 PHX-MDW Departs 5:05pm arrives 10:30pm

On Saturday

Southwest Airlines flight 1365 PHX-MDW Departs 5:00pm arrives 10:00pm

On Everyday but Saturday

Southwest Airlines flight 2255 PHX-MDW Departs 6:50pm arrives 11:55pm...

Just for example, I'm sure there are many more. Those are all scheduled...

BMIa330

WNfan

Fri Oct 10, 2003 11:56 am

5p-10p flights aren't traditional red-eyes. I would define a red-eye flight as one where the flight lands near or after sunrise. Leaving LAX at midnight and arriving Chicago at 5:30am, now that's a red-eye.

I think WN could successfully run red-eyes in many markets. LAX/OAK-MDW, LAX/OAK-BWI, and LAS to many destinations come to mind first.

Fri Oct 10, 2003 12:00 pm

I agree it is a good question. I think (Keyword: Think) that because Southwest is mainly point to point, they don't want to have passengers leave at say 9:00 from say, BOI-BWI via Los Angeles, and have the plane arrive at like 12:00 and say the plane broke down leaving people stranded at LAX. Or maybe it's for customer service or something.

I  Love BOI

Fri Oct 10, 2003 12:14 pm

WN tried redeys once, but they weren't popular -- the reason the airline doesn't offer them is b/c it feels there's not enough interest in them.

johnboy

Fri Oct 10, 2003 12:38 pm

As SuperDash pointed out, with all the new transcon flying, it may make more sense to them now.

mikesairways

Fri Oct 10, 2003 1:25 pm

It may make sense, but that would also require having a 24-hour operation, wouldnt it? Would that increase their costs?
The red zone is for the immediate loading and unloading of passengers only, there is no stopping in the white zone...(Ai

flyboy7974

Fri Oct 10, 2003 3:00 pm

first of all, southwest does fly red eye flights, they are charters from vegas to cities like buffalo, cleveland, and other northeast cities. scheduled wise, swa does not fly night flights because think of their utilization on each a/c per day, the a/c have to park for maint and routine checks. at bur when i worked for them, we had 5 diff 737 each night in for checks.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos