Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

bmia330
Topic Author

Service On BA

Mon Oct 13, 2003 2:51 am

Looking forward to my first ever trip on British Airways in March, and I just wanted to know- how are the 777 seats, how is the food? Crew? What about the A319? Any help/more information would be great!

The flights are
Chicago O'Hare-London Heathrow
connecting to
London Heathrow-Rome

Rome-London Heathrow
connecting to
London Heathrow-Chicago O'Hare

Thanks
BmiA330

planesarecool

RE: Service On BA

Mon Oct 13, 2003 2:53 am

The B777 is quite good. You get footrests, headrests and PTV's in economy. Never flown the A319, but i guess it's pretty basic.

-Stephen

Sabena 690

Mon Oct 13, 2003 3:37 am

I've been on their A319, B752, B763 and DHC8.

About the A319: try to sit down as much up front as possible in the Y-class section, because after a few rows the seat pitch is quite a lot smaller (because the first few rows of Y-class are able to change to a C-class lay out).

BA service is very good...

Regards
Frederic

Richard28

Mon Oct 13, 2003 3:47 am

I'll second Sabena960

last time I flew on a BA A319 I was in economy in row 6, there was plenty of leg room, and the "All Day Deli" was pretty nice.

Crew were very friendly, and you get a complimentary drinks service.

I've not flown BA 777, only their 747 on long haul - the 747 service is fine.

Rich.

johnboy

Mon Oct 13, 2003 4:39 am

I was disappointed in the foot rests. They are a bit recessed under the seat, and the seat pitch is such that they are uncomfortable (especially with the seat in front of you reclined). They are good, however, for at least changing your leg position for a few minutes.

Food was better than average, with two mini bottles of wine with dinner. Arrival breakfast was "English" enough, I guess: IIRC, eggs, sausage, broiled tomato and baked beans (hey, not my idea of breakfast, but I was a captive audience).

DoorsToManual

Mon Oct 13, 2003 4:54 am

Seat-pitch atrocious (31"), so very uncomfortable for tall people & under those circumstances, the "footrest" is a sick joke.

Food usually good.

Crew: mostly good, although the odd one would be better off employed in Her Majesty's Prison Service....

A319: leather seats throughout, complimentary coffee (v. important) and baguettes/croissants aka 'All Day deli' as mentioned above.

Overall: pretty good, shame about the seat-pitch.

rgds

Mon Oct 13, 2003 5:05 am

BA cabin crews are not the friendliest in the world - particularly Gatwick based crews who have a huge chip on their shoulder. In my experience most BA cabin crew couldn't care less whether or not you have a good flight.

RickB

Mon Oct 13, 2003 5:15 am

Never had a bad flight on BA - IMHO the F/A's are amonst the best in the industry including those from Gatwick. I have tried most of the alternatives, UAL, AA, CO, SQ, VS, EK, BD, etc. and I always go back to BA.

Seat pitch may only be 31" but thats pretty much on a par with most of the competitors with the exception of AA's MRTC. VS give 30-31", UA are 31-32", BMI are 32", EK is 32", SQ is 32", cathay 32" and Delta 32", so I dont know where you would get the idea that 31" is atrocious !! Malaysia give 34" and US airways varies between 32" and 34" - but for most of the carriers there is little more than an inch in it !!

Fly BA and enjoy it !!

RickB

edina

Mon Oct 13, 2003 5:17 am

Manairport.......what's the prob with LGW crews??? Within the airline the cabin crew down here are recognised as being some of the friendliest - survey figures show the highest customer service scores out of all fleets. On the long haul fleet we are now a relatively small close knit team of around 800 - I've been there 10 years & am not aware of any chips on shoulders. Maybe you're referring to the short haul fleet, where the atmosphere has changed after Cityflyer was merged into the operation.....most of the former British Airways EuroGatwick crew are now on other fleets & whilst the ex CFE crew are equally professional they are a different breed. I have friends there & most are very happy to have been integrated into BA, so where the cip on the shoulder idea has come from I'm not sure......
BMIA330.....the crew on your shorter sector will be noticeably younger & the service given will be a little more basic than on the tranatlantic sector, but I'm sure you'll be impressed.
Worked on - Caravelle Mercure A300 A320 F27 SD3-60 BAe146 747-100/200/400 DC10-30 767 777 737-400 757 A319 A321

DoorsToManual

Mon Oct 13, 2003 6:34 am

Rick, I don't want to emphasise the negative in a mostly positive list of experiences...I know the pitches of other airlines (recently flew Korean, 34"), but that doesn't make BA's 31" seat-pitch any better. I would make the same complaint of any other airline, but in this instance, the poster wanted to know our views on BA.

rgds

RickB

Mon Oct 13, 2003 6:54 am

DoorsToManual,

I know - and kudos to you for saying it !! But in this instance - with regards to any of the competing airlines on the route BMIA330 wants to fly - AA is the only airline with a noticeably better seat pitch. All of the rest have the same or similar seat pitch.

Inflight service on BA I have found to be as good or better than competing airlines.

Cheers

RickB

flyboyaz

Mon Oct 13, 2003 7:00 am

They have very good service. I worked for BA for a short time and they REALLY had an emphasis on customer service. I had several "run-ins" with the flight crews....some tended to be very arogant and picky. I also met a few that were a blast to be around. One crew in PHX got kicked out of a local hotel for performing obsene jesters on a horse statue.....it was rather funny!

I flew on our flight from SAN-PHX while working there and I was served dinner in Club World (Business class). The service even on a short flight like that was outstanding.

I'm sure you will like it.
Catch a ride on a smile!

Richard28

Mon Oct 13, 2003 9:44 am

Going back to what Sabena 690 said in reply No. 2, if you get in the front few rows of the economy section on the A319 then seat pitch is improved.

Don't know what the pitch was, but it was way in excess of their long-haul (747 & 777) 31" pitch, which I agree could be (and should be!) improved upon.

As far as crews are concerned, remember flight attendants are human, and as such quality/consistency can never be guaranteed!! You always get the odd bad seed on any airline, but on average, BA are up there near the top in terms of service.

airjampanam

Mon Oct 13, 2003 9:52 am

BA's 777 service is typically British understated competent service.
I have flown BA several times in coach only, get there early for a bulk head seat, but beware they place families with potentially screaming kids there as well.
The food is excellent and the service is stiff but fine.
Their FA's aren't all barbie dolls like Virgin, but you wont be packed in like a Greyhound Bus either.
Its all about experience with BA, they have been there and done it and know how it should be done minus the bells and whistles.
The triple 777 is nice enough , but I miss the 747.
Suing is the new Lotto... if u wanna win u gotta sue!

iloveek

Mon Oct 13, 2003 6:33 pm

BA has a terrible seat pitch!(31 inch), however the service is quite good. Entertainment is just average. I have been on their 319 and must admit it was a very comfortable flight! Their 777 is nothing special, especially in Y!

IberiaN

Mon Oct 13, 2003 6:57 pm

I have flown on BA from MAD to LHR and it wasn't a very good flight. The plane smelled, the food was very bad, the seat-pich atrocious -No leg room , and the cabin crew didn't speak Spanish, and it's logical that if you fly from/to a foreign country they should speak the language which in this country is spoken , in this case, Spanish. There were no video system, only newspapers or some English magazines.
My aunt flew last August from LHR to Philadelphia, and the experience was quite good, good seats, nice service,etc.,but the PTVs didn't work.
Enjoy it!
Has decidido puntualidad, has decidido Iberia ;)

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos