Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

potomac
Topic Author

UA Red-eye's

Fri Oct 17, 2003 6:22 am

I'm thinking not, but does UA serve any food in F class on their west to east coast red-eye's?

Benjamin

RE: UA Red-eye's

Fri Oct 17, 2003 6:29 am

When you say F class, do you mean real F class in a three class plane or F class in a two class plane which is really B class? Both will serve you a snack. In the two class plane, the snack will be a cold deli plate most likely. In REAL F class on a three class, you might get a hot meal, but you might still get the deli plate. You will get food, however.

potomac
Topic Author

Fri Oct 17, 2003 6:34 am

yeah, F class on an A320. guess something is better than nothing for a midnight snack.

does UA use 767s btwn LAX/SFO and JFK for red-eyes too, or do they switch to 757s and A320s?

Benjamin

Fri Oct 17, 2003 6:46 am

For the red eyes to JFK, they use the 767-200. It's old, but they have a nice F Class.

LAXintl

Fri Oct 17, 2003 7:21 am

The last couple of transcon red-eye's (on a 757 and A320) featured a deli plate of make your own sandwich in F-class. Each came with a side of couscous or a small salad.
In my opinion this was quite enough to hold me over.
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

Benjamin

Fri Oct 17, 2003 7:33 am

I personally find it cheap that they don't offer a full meal in on the red-eye. Sometimes I take the redeye on the Friday night, and I don't want to sleep. I want to enjoy the First Class experience since the next day is Saturday, but I can't really. I found this ESPECIALLY disappointing on the three class F Class of the 767.

Fri Oct 17, 2003 8:54 am

I would never expect an airline to serve a full meal on a red eye. Since most leave near midnight atleast on HP who I fly the most. I just eat something at the airport before departure.

andersjt

Fri Oct 17, 2003 9:11 am

I think the airlines are betting that most F passengers want to sleep rather than have the meal. Maybe that is the reason for the scaled down meal service.
Oh how I long for the day when the skies were truly Friendly!

LImamura

Fri Oct 17, 2003 9:24 am

When I fly on UA's redeye the only thing I want to do is sleep. I don't really care about the meal because if you really think about it, how many of you eats a meal at midnight or 1am when you are at home. So why would you do this just because you are on an airplane.
Just eat a good meal before you get on the plane then you will be fine, you woun't even care about the meal service.

Benjamin

Fri Oct 17, 2003 9:43 am

The UA redeyes leave the west coast at 10PM. I usually eat dinner around 9:30, so if it's Friday night, I look forward to a nice F-Class experience. I do NOT expect this on a 2 class first class flight, but in the Premium First Class, I think the choice of at least a hot snack should be offered.

For instance, a few weeks ago I flew on the CO red eye from SNA-EWR. Now this was a 2 class 73G, but they had a really good hot chicken sandwich presented very nicely in F. I would have thought that UA would have AT LEAST that on a Premium transcon F class in a 3 class. No, I don't REALLY care, but I found the lack of any hop option surprising!

N178UA

Fri Oct 17, 2003 9:57 am

Both UA from LAX/SFO to JFk is B767-200 3 class and LAX/SFO-EWR/BOS is B757 or A320 which makes quite a difference.

Like other said, in F and C on B762, they offer a Deli-Sandwich with plenty of meat cut and a hot bun for you to help yourself, I tried it once and it is very good, in Y class, they offer 2 round of drink + a snack box include some potato chips, roast chicken sandwich with mustard and cookies.

UA also serve Mountain Dew on its domestic flight , I take it as a big plus!

Sam
For more of myself and my flight reviews visit http://www.SamChui.com

FutureFO

Fri Oct 17, 2003 10:09 am

It is not really a meal it is more of a snack. You get pretty much a deli sandwich or salad and as many beverages that you would like.

Sean from MCO
I Don't know where I am anymore

UA777lover

Fri Oct 17, 2003 1:14 pm

I flew the red eye from SFO-ORD last sat night. I was upgraded to First, and all that was served was a beverage. I asked the FA about it, and was told that UA, like many other carriers, is going to start to sell meals, and until it gets "settled" they're paring down the meal service on some flights.

Benjamin

Fri Oct 17, 2003 1:28 pm

I don't have a problem with the fact that only a "snack" is served. What I don't like is that on a transcon 3 class plane in F Class, there is no hot food in UA. In a CO red eye in F class in a 737, there is a REALLY good hot sandwich offered. The transcon CO product is not a "premium" product (no offense meant to CO) like the UA 3 class F Class product is supposed to be.

So, given that the UA F Class on a 3 class should certainly be better than the 2 class CO flight, I think it's disappointing that UA did not serve hot food.

zrs70

Fri Oct 17, 2003 2:03 pm

What's the big deal with hot food? Hot food. Cold food. Whatever!
21 year airliners.net vet! 2000-2021

AZAFATA

Fri Oct 17, 2003 4:14 pm

OH NO!!! Is this about food again? And now in the middle of the night? We are going to have to find these people a "food web site",they keep forgetting this is Airliners.net, ITS ABOUT AIRPLANES IN HERE! HELLO!!!!!

potomac
Topic Author

Sat Oct 18, 2003 2:38 am

yeah, i just wanted to know if there was any food - i dont care as much what temperature it is. but i agree that its not a big deal as to what they serve or if they serve anything, seeing that it comes at a time when most people dont eat anyway.

Benjamin

Sat Oct 18, 2003 3:09 am

ITS ABOUT AIRPLANES IN HERE! HELLO!!!!!

No, that is not correct. 'a.net' is about more than just airplanes. It's about, among many things, CIVIL AIR TRAVEL! Service in the cabin is part of the CIVIL AIR TRAVEL experience! Hello!!!

I don't really care about the food either. All I was saying was that I was surprised that in UA's Premium Transcon service in UnitedFirst, there was no hot option while in CO's small 737 redeye, there was a nice hot snack. I'm not distraught about it. I was just a little surprised and disappointed.

Ex_SQer

Sat Oct 18, 2003 3:16 am

I haven't taken a west coast to east coast red eye in F for some time, but I have recently taken a Hawaii-west coast red eye in F (on a two-class 767). All I got was a fruit and cheese plate, and the cutback was noticeable. In the past, you had a choice between the fruit and cheese plate and a soup and sandwich. The soups were usually really good (often lobster bisque) and I was disappointed at not having one.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos