Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

IflyORL
Topic Author

Why Do You Write Registration Number Down?

Sat Oct 18, 2003 2:17 am

Ok so I can understand spotting planes and taking pictures but why do so many spotters carry a little book and write tail numbers in it. I was just wondering. I think It might be interesting info to have but is there any other reason behind it??

Sabena 690

RE: Why Do You Write Registration Number Down?

Sat Oct 18, 2003 2:22 am

I just love it! Big grin

I write all registrations down, and add them in my JP afterwards.

Interesting to know which aircraft you've seen already and which not!

Frederic

IflyORL
Topic Author

Sat Oct 18, 2003 2:24 am

JP, ok I must be real new to this, but I got to ask whats a JP?

Lindy

Sat Oct 18, 2003 2:24 am

It helps you identify aircraft after you took picture of it and reg number is not fully visible. Also I am fleet/frame collector for Boeing aircrafts.

Rafal
BWIADCA - Nikon D100

BR715-A1-30

Sat Oct 18, 2003 2:27 am

JP = Groundstop Groundstop = JP.  Smile
Puhdiddle

Jkw777

Sat Oct 18, 2003 3:32 am

I don't quite have a notebook as such, I have created myself a MS Excel sheet with 'Registration' 'Carrier' 'Location' and 'Time' across the top and i can just fill in the blanks.

The reason why I would write down a Tail numbers is because i can look on the photo data base here and see where that plane has been etc.

Also because i am just a 'plane addict' ... Smile

Regards,

Justin.

JKW777  Big thumbs up
[email protected] or +447751242989

parisien

Sat Oct 18, 2003 3:58 am

isnt it also the case that you can trace the history of the airplane such as delivery dates etc. so if you should get all excited when you fly for instance the first B744 delivered to such and such airline...or the latest.

Chgoan

Sat Oct 18, 2003 4:07 am

And to know if you've been on the plane before! I like seeing a plane I've flown on before....or going on it again.

Kempa

Sat Oct 18, 2003 4:12 am

There are spotters who photograph planes, and there are spotters who don't. Some spotters are... well... spotters. Their hobby is spotting planes. Some will try to get a "complete" set, that means, all planes of a certain type from a certain carrier, or at least as many as they can find. To do that, some go to the extremes of flying to far-away destinations in order to see some of the planes that don't make it to their home airports. As in any collecting hobby, there is a thrill of "obtaining" a hard-to-find item. Of course, they log the spotted planes in a notebook or in a computer file. As fleets change frequently, there is always the "danger" that the complete set will not be complete anymore when the airline purchases new airplanes.

A340Spotter

Sat Oct 18, 2003 4:15 am

Good question,

As one of the two spotters featured on 48Hrs back in 1996, I can certainly answer this question.
The reason that I write tail numbers down is similar to when I was collecting baseball cards. Each year, Topps or Fleer or Donruss, etc. would put out a checklist card and the goal of a collector was to get every card in that year's set. You'd tick off the block on the checklist card when you had that card and thus, you knew which cards to look for.
Conversely, when I used the JP Airline Fleets book, I would go out to the airport, log everything in sight, and then go into the book and check off the planes that I needed, and eventually worked my way down to needing only a couple of planes in every fleet, at least in the US.
Now, I use one of the many well supported and put together database products that mainly are developed and run out of the UK, where the biggest concentration of spotters are located. I use ADU, Airline Data Unlimited, out of Manchester, and before I go on any trip abroad, I can run a program that lets me know which planes that I need to complete the fleets. Nothing beats seeing my last 777 of Emirates (A6-EMD) or any of my last 9 MD-11s in the world and knowing that you've seen every plane produced in that airline's type, or the entire production run. The database will also tell you where you've seen the plane and the date you first saw it at. That's always handy when someone asks you "Where did you see THAT!"
Finally, I know a lot of folks use the word spotter to describe the photographing airplanes, but I'd say that a true spotter is a registration basher and a photographer is a photographer, but that's just my 2 cents...

Jeffrey
"Irregardless, it's a Cat III airplane, we don't need an alternate!"

Sabena 690

Sat Oct 18, 2003 4:28 am

JP stands for JP Airline fleet list!

A big book with all the registrations of all airlines currently flying (besides private airlines,...).

Looking for the current UA fleet for example? It's all in the JP...

Regards
Frederic

UPSfueler

Sat Oct 18, 2003 4:35 am

I only write the N number when I travel on the aircraft. I got a chart made up at home of all the airlines and the aircraft I have flow on.

codeshare

Sat Oct 18, 2003 4:40 am

After a few spotting trips, I finally know.

But usually, excuse me for this, the guys writing down the regs are, um no offense, old  Big grin
Seriously, the average age of the blokes I've seen is above 40.

Please don't kill me  Innocent
How much A is there is Airliners Net ? 0 or nothing ?

Sabena 690

Sat Oct 18, 2003 4:41 am

I'm 19, Codeshare  Big grin

Reg spotters are not necessarily old... (except the English  Big grin)

Frederic

codeshare

Sat Oct 18, 2003 4:46 am

Well, I can't say I disagree with you  Big grin

I'm basing my obervations on visits in FRA and MAD.
How much A is there is Airliners Net ? 0 or nothing ?

gmonney

Sat Oct 18, 2003 4:47 am

I just like to know the history of the aircraft. At CYYZ there is a lot of charter stuff and its amazing where the aircraft has come from. It also helps with the pictures and providing as much info as possible!

Grant
Drive it like you stole it!

Jkw777

Sat Oct 18, 2003 4:55 am

I am only 17 and i take the registrations.. I'll get my coat  Sad
[email protected] or +447751242989

n757kw

Sat Oct 18, 2003 6:02 am

I started getting registration numbers from the flights I was one because I became curious as too how many planes in DL's fleet I had been on. I was surprised to learn that I was flying on several of the same aircraft every year!

Since I started, I always get the registration number on all flights I am on.
"What we've got here, is failure to communicate." from Cool Hand Luke

RayPettit

Sat Oct 18, 2003 6:16 am

Intersting observation that the British 'spotter/photographer' is often older than those in mainland Europe.

Maybe it has to do with poor facilities we have at all the airports around London. I haven't studied it, but perhaps the average age of the enthusiast in Manchester is lower!

Those of my age (49) had the benefit of an open and much bigger 'Queens Building' at LHR and access on top of all of Gatwick's piers when we were teenagers. To get just numbers at LHR now cannot be much fun.

Even though I just take photos now (but still noting down those only so I can still label the slide with the registration), I do most of that abroad and rarely travel to LHR which is only a few miles away!

Ray

sfo

Sun Oct 19, 2003 5:38 am

I jot the reg down so when I return from my trip, I can look up info on the aircraft -- primarily how many years it has been in service. I used to visit Bill Harm's web site but he has since stopped updating his database.

Does any one know if there's a similar site?

RayPettit

Sun Oct 19, 2003 9:56 am

Well, the new link is on the Bill Harms web page.

Cannot say more than that!

Ray

LFutia

Sun Oct 19, 2003 12:00 pm

I'm 16 and i also take down reggies... It's nice to know where your plane has been when the photo was uploaded on AºNet...

Leo/ORD
Going to India in 4 days... well 5 as its 22.00 here

Leo/ORD

aviatortj

Reg.

Sun Oct 19, 2003 3:50 pm

Where do I find a notebook for these, similar to a pilots logbook? and the JP too? I am going to certainly be taking this up, I just have not found where to buy them.

~TJ

silverfox

Sun Oct 19, 2003 4:38 pm

Ray,

you mere child!!!!

first timei went to LHR was 9 July 60, and i still have my observations starting from 25 April 1962.. makes interesting reading!!!

PAS still got my 1960 combined volume as well

Ron

VonRichtofen

Sun Oct 19, 2003 5:21 pm

I don't get how you guys get reg. #'s. 95% of the time I fly I can't see the reg from the terminal.

I saw one of those Passenger log books at a store in Toronto. Kinda cool.

kilavoud

Sun Oct 19, 2003 9:28 pm

Hi IflyORL,

I think the registration number of the plane as well as the name of the plane are important to put in a trip report because they a real details, and once you have the registration number you can search in the "Aviation Photo Search Engine" the photo(s) of the real plane(s) you have been flying. And if you like searching more details (age and history of the plane, etc) on the net, this number is essential.

We are living in a world where numbers most of the time reflecting realities.

Regards. Kilavoud.

SurfSlade

Mon Oct 20, 2003 1:33 am

Kris,

If I am not able to see the registration from the Terminal. I check it in the cockpit when I am taking a shot after the flight. There is a stick tell the reg# of the aircraft.

Pascal

Sabena 690

Mon Oct 20, 2003 2:42 am

If I don't see the reg, I look at the noseflap/nose/a name on the aircraft etc.

Was always able to tie up my bird until now...

Frederic

Sabena332

Mon Oct 20, 2003 2:44 am

I only write down the registrations of the planes I flew on.

Patrick
NZ1's mother is a disgusting crack-whore and his father is a worthless alcoholic!

BN747

Mon Oct 20, 2003 5:04 am

I unknowingly started spotting as a kid. I used to go and watch aircraft action a lot ..then I thought instead of just watching them, see if I can spot a pattern in their operations. As in which ones where in more frequent than others, this usally told me which ones were going farther than others. But that got old for me and wasn't enough..so then got a camera and this took it to a whole new level. No although taking pics allowed yoy take the ction home with you vs a bunch of notes..I still like having the reggies so I know what was photographed and what hasn't been.

But for the pure spotters..I know exactly what fuels their passions. Infact I may seek a spotter to help me track down an AA MD11 from LHR-ORD in the summer of 2000. As soon as I locate the flight stubs/receipts.

BN747

"Home of the Brave, made by the Slaves..Land of the Free, if you look like me.." T. Jefferson

[email protected]

Mon Oct 20, 2003 7:39 am

I'm 19, Codeshare."

And I'm 21 and love it.

I like the excitement of being able to see new 'planes and being able to know which ones you have and have not previously seen. In addition, it helps me to relax from a very stressful week of studying.
"Everyone writing for the Telegraph knows that the way to grab eyeballs is with Ryanair and/or sex."

deltairlines

Mon Oct 20, 2003 7:59 am

I take down registration numbers too. I don't have a notebook for it, I just use Excel. The one negative about using a computer is that the list can get pretty long, so I normally print it out every six months to a year (don't want to waste my ink...its pretty expensive...$50/cartridge). The one negative is when your computer goes technical, as mine did yesterday. It is a major pain, since there is always the possibility that your computer will erase the spreadsheet. My computer went technical yesterday, and I can't access any of my documents. Fortunately, I have a relative that will recover my prized documents (work stuff, and of course my logbook) for free (well, $50 for shipping, $25 each way), but I am starting to back it up on my other computer, and I most certainly will be backing it up to a floppy or CD every month.

Jeff

DeltaGuy

Mon Oct 20, 2003 8:16 am

I, like N757KW, take the tail numbers off the DL jets I fly...I've found that I've been on the same MD-88 4 times! (one of which was a leg my dad was flying)
Helps to know what in the fleet you've seen, and for photos too (esp the cockpit ones)

DeltaGuy
"The cockpit, what is it?" "It's the little room in the front of the plane where the pilot sits, but that's not importan

JGPH1A

Mon Oct 20, 2003 9:36 pm

I keep track of aircraft I fly on, in a logbook - but that is the limit of my anoraking.
Young and beautiful and thin and gorgeous AND BANNED ! Cya at airspaceonline.com, losers

justplanesmart

Wed Oct 22, 2003 7:32 pm

My hobby (my wife would say "obsesssion") with collecting registrations also began, much like BN747, with watching planes as a kid. However, I took an almost opposite evolution, going from watching to attempting to photograph. However, I was never satisfied with the photographs taken by my cheap instamatic, and the cost for a better camera and film, plus development, discouraged me. So I began to record the registrations of the planes that I saw, and the rest is history.
"So many planes; so little time..."

Trident

Wed Oct 22, 2003 9:54 pm

I am a "semi-retired spotter". I used to log registrations at my home airport (Dublin) from about 1973 but since I "grew up" have not indulged in the hobby too frequently (lack of time, other interests, work etc). However, I have been known to make the odd note when travelling from or to an airport - I guess old habits die hard.

Why are Brit spotters older? Well, I have a theory. Thirty or forty years ago "spotting" was considered quite an acceptable pastime for a young chap. Fairly harmless and mildly educational even. However, since the 80s, "spotting" has become almost socially unacceptable purely from a "fashion" or "lifestyle" sense. It is distinctly "uncool". Spotters are usually referred to in quite derogatory terms as "anoraks", "nerds" and "geeks" - it's all a bit sad really.

dc-10 levo

Fri Oct 24, 2003 12:37 am

I was at MAN yesterday to watch the arrival of Concorde and wrote a few down. I think it's great being able to come home, log onto airliners.net and find out where that plane has been before.

And what's even better is that I just found an old notebook that I bought years ago and have never used. It's now my registrations book  Smile/happy/getting dizzy.

What else do you guys write down? Just the registration or airline, c/n, date, time airport etc?

DC-10

Fri Oct 24, 2003 3:17 am

I do it to see if there is any record of things I don't want to know about when I get home.. Things like past hijacking, gear up landing, things like that. Its also fun to run it through the dbase on airliners and see if it flew for another airline at some point in its life.. Still waiting to be on the same airplane with two different airlines.

RayBolt

Fri Oct 24, 2003 4:11 am

Anyone know of any websites where I can get a JP airline fleet book? Starting to get into spotting, and would like a source to check off regs from airliners I see. Thanks
Dan
You can't join the MHC on the ground.

aviatortj

Fri Oct 24, 2003 4:45 am

Does anyone know where I can find an actual Spotter's Logbook?

~TJ

SwissA330

Fri Oct 24, 2003 5:06 am

You can get a jp air fleets at
www.buchair.net
There just go to the upper righthand side.

greetz, patrick
swissair/+/ we care

GulfstreamGuy

Fri Oct 24, 2003 6:05 am

I also have an "obsession" with aircraft regs. Particularly with biz-jets and GA aircraft and helicopters. I am always curious whenever a Gulfstream V or maybe a Falcon 900 drops in for a visit as to who is the owner or operator. The biggest gripe I have is that the majority of the time when I get home and look up the reg http://www.landings.com/evird.acgi?pass*52888512!mtd*40!ref*www.landings.com/_landings/pages/search/!pg*search_nnr.html it usually lists a bank or leasing company..  Confused

However there are some that are just easier to figure out than others..

Nike shoes..

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Propfreak

or BMW..

View Large View Medium

Photo © Andreas Müller

3M corporation..

View Large View Medium

Photo © Jason Whitebird

Oakley sunglasses..... ok, sometimes just the paint is enough! Big grin

View Large View Medium

Photo © Jason Whitebird

cheers,
GG
"If we couldn't laugh, we would all go insane. " -Jimmy Buffett

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos