planesarecool
Topic Author

BA Fleet/Livery News!

Sun Oct 19, 2003 7:12 pm

Just three B747-400's left in the fabulous world tails  Sad

G-BNLC - Colum
G-BNLZ - Animals & Trees
G-CIVN - Delftblue Daybreak

All 5 Chelsea Rose B747-400's (G-BNLA, G-BNLL, G-BYGA, G-BYGC and G-CIVA) were all wiped out in the space of one month!!!:

G-BNLA - Operated it's final service in Chelsea Rose colours on the 29th Sept. when it flew BA212 BOS-LHR.

G-BNLL - Flew it's final service in Chelsea Rose colours on the 13 September, when it arrived from Singapore as BA018. It returned to service on the 20th September when it flew BA055 to Johannesburg.

G-BYGA - Flew it's final service in Chelsea Rose colours on the 9th September when it arrived from Cape Town as BA058. Returned to flight 6 days later on the 15th September as BA269 to Los Angeles.

G-BYGC - Operated it's last flight in Chelsea Rose colours on the 25th September when it landed at Heathrow from Nairobi as BA064. It returned to service on the 30th September with a flight to Toronto as BA099.

G-CIVA - Landed after it's final flight in the Chelsea Rose scheme from Hong Kong as BA028. Returned on the 22nd September as BA007 to Narita.

In other news on the B747-400:

G-BNLJ - Operated it's final service in Ndebele Martha colours as BA206 from Miami on the 5th September. It returned to Miami 5 days later, in the Union Flag scheme as BA209.

G-BYGG - Flew it's last flight wearing the Rendezvous tail art as BA098 from Toronto on the 22nd September. Returned to service 4 days later as BA145 LHR - DAC.

It wont be long before the final three a wiped out. Today's visit might not be just to say farewell to Concorde, but the world tails on the B744's too.

-Stephen

Sabena 690

RE: BA Fleet/Livery News!

Sun Oct 19, 2003 7:15 pm

This makes me extremely sad  Sad

Frederic

Jaspike

Sun Oct 19, 2003 7:19 pm

So only these 747s left..

View Large View Medium

Photo © Matthew Willmott-Sharp
View Large View Medium

Photo © B. van Langenberg

View Large View Medium

Photo © William Jenkins

I really liked the world tails!

Josh

[Edited 2003-10-19 12:22:52]

A340600

Sun Oct 19, 2003 7:21 pm

How grim, back to a not so exciting BA!!!
Sam Sad
Despite the name I am a Boeing man through and through!

planesarecool
Topic Author

Sun Oct 19, 2003 7:21 pm

Of course there are the other aircraft which have them, but none as special as the B747-400  Sad (Concorde not included)

-Stephen

Leskova

Sun Oct 19, 2003 7:50 pm

Here we have an airline that went from one of the most hideous liveries to just about the best on the planet - only to take a step back again... I still think that the "new" non-world-tails are still a huge step ahead from what BA had before the introduction of the world tails, but it's still quite a disappointment.
Smile - it confuses people!

dc-10 levo

Sun Oct 19, 2003 8:18 pm

Wow, I didn't know there were so few world tails left. I really really liked this one:

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Sam Chui

DC-10

gmonney

Sun Oct 19, 2003 8:24 pm

I guess I will have to look out for the tails at YYZ? I sure do miss them and there are a lot that I would still love to take pictues of? Any word on the special livery 777's? Or what about the Dreams 744??

Grant
Drive it like you stole it!

Jkw777

Sun Oct 19, 2003 8:27 pm

Sad I have a Pacmin 1/144 scale model of G-BNLJ "Ndebele Martha"

So everytime i look at it  Crying

So sad

View Large View Medium

Photo © Peter Hulse

[email protected] or +447751242989

Trident

Sun Oct 19, 2003 9:27 pm

Good riddance.

A disastrous marketing decison not to mention a hideously expensive burden on maintenance costs. It was instrumental in costing Rob Ayling and his board their jobs.

At the time they were introduced I did not hear one employee at BA say that they were a good idea.

planesarecool
Topic Author

Sun Oct 19, 2003 9:37 pm

Gmonney,

There are 13 B777's still in the world tails, however most of them are Gatwick based, so you wouldn't see many of them anyway:

G-RAES - Delftblue Daybreak (Heathrow)
G-VIIU - Delftblue Daybreak (Heathrow)
G-VIIT - Rendezvous (Heathrow)
G-VIIS - Chelsea Rose (Heathrow)
G-VIIN - Whale Rider (Heathrow)
G-VIIA - Waves of the City (Gatwick)
G-VIIJ - Benyhone Tartan (Gatwick)
G-VIIK - Animals & Trees (Gatwick)
G-VIIL - Wings (Gatwick)
G-VIIM - Waves & Cranes (Gatwick)
G-VIIO - Chelsea Rose (Gatwick)
G-VIIP - Colum (Gatwick)
G-VIIR - Benyhone Tartan (Gatwick)

The three "Dreamings" - Water, Wunula and Nalanjia (G-BNLK,G-BNLS and G-BNLN) were put out some time ago much to my dispair, as they were amazing.

G-BNLN - Operated its last service in Nalanji Dreaming as BA124 Doha-Bahrain-Heathrow on the 30th May. It reflew again on the 6th June as BA177 to New York.

G-BNLK - Arrived on September 2nd 2002 from Singapore as BA016 as it's final flight in Water Dreaming colours. Re-entered service on the 8th as BA049 to Seattle.

-Stephen

Leskova

Sun Oct 19, 2003 9:39 pm

Most likely a bad marketing decision for the UK, but considering the fact that, as Bob Ayling stated, more pax on BA are non-UK-pax, I don't really see how pleasing the majority of your pax could really be disastrous...

I know that, for example, Margret Thatcher called them "hideous" (or something similar) quite publicly - but that was Margret Thatcher for crying out loud!

I know of at least some BA employees here in Germany that thought they were a good idea, but I am also aware that they seemingly were not in the majority all over BA...
Smile - it confuses people!

G-CIVP

Sun Oct 19, 2003 9:50 pm

Stephen - If your using information from Dave Apps' website, could you please ask his permission or at least credit him!

planesarecool
Topic Author

Sun Oct 19, 2003 9:59 pm

"I did not hear one employee at BA say that they were a good idea."

When i flew to Orlando a couple of years back, I got into a conversation with two of the members of cabin crew. I remember asking them "Do you like the new world tails" and they replied something like "Yes, it's always fun, as cabin crew, to find out which aircraft we're flying. We sometimes even have little bets on it"

Ok so maybe that was only 2 out of thousands of employees for the company but employees wouldn't really be bothered. They fly/refurbish/repaint/engineer etc on the aircraft they're told to. They couldn't care less what tail it had.

-Stephen

jsnww81

Mon Oct 20, 2003 1:51 am

Although many of the tails were horrible (I'm thinking of the "color down the side" tail with the vertical stripes when I say that), there were a few that were good looking.

I DO like the "Union Jack" scheme that they decided to go with, although leaves the aircraft looking a bit too white. It's a shame they didn't decide to keep the "Chelsea Rose" colors - they were very classically British. I wish BA had narrowed it down to three or four schemes (the most British ones) instead of just the Union Jack.

Of course, the fuss over the World Tails was that they weren't "British enough." Add to that the new scheme by Virgin Atlantic, which called itself "Britain's flag carrier", and you have a PR black eye for BA.

CX Flyboy

Mon Oct 20, 2003 10:28 am

Are there many World tails left on the other fleets, especially the regional stuff? Embraers, A320s, 734s etc?

captaink

Mon Oct 20, 2003 1:15 pm

I particularly loved the world tails. Thank goodness I work at GND and we get the LGW based jets. It is interesting to see which tail would come. GVIIL is a popular jet here though. HOw long do they plan to have these aircraft in these colors?
Look Up

planesarecool
Topic Author

Mon Oct 20, 2003 3:34 pm

CX Flyboy,

The last A320 which operates for British Airways (not including British Mediterranean) was the water dreaming aircraft and that was painted out not so long ago. A lot of the B737-400's are still in the world tails, mainly because i think they have to fly to Heathrow to get painted, and a lot of the B737-400's are based at Gatwick. That's also why we get so many B777's in world tails.

I think the Gatwick based aircraft are split into Holiday aircraft and "Business" aircraft (not exactly)

As far as i'm concerned the longer they stay in the world tails the better. However last time i visited Gatwick they had G-VIIC, G-VIIH and G-VIIB there all in union flag. G-VIIB doesn't usually come, so it could mean one is getting painted  Sad

-Stephen

gmonney

Mon Oct 20, 2003 4:12 pm

Stephen,

Thanks a lot, since you know so much, do you have any pull there at BA?? Could you get one over to LHR and then send it to YYZ....PLEASE!!

Thanks for the info, I have been looking for it for a while, but i guess in all the wrong places!!

Grant

na

Mon Oct 20, 2003 7:02 pm

It´s sad especially that the beautiful "Chelsea Rose" image is gone. I had hoped they would keep at least a few as it is an UK theme as well and in the UK flag colours.
How long until BA management finds out that the flleet looks a bit boring now? BA´s liveries never lasted for long. Even the great Landor scheme lasted for less than 15 years (1985-97 if I´m not mistaken).

planesarecool
Topic Author

Tue Oct 21, 2003 2:15 am

Gmonney,

Hehe i wish i had that power. But unfortunately i'm still at school. I get most the info straight from my uncle who works for BA maintenance crew.

Just a note on G-BNLZ, I saw it yesterday do a go-around after a flight from (Tokyo?). Very coincidental that it just happened to be that aircraft.

-Stephen

gmonney

Tue Oct 21, 2003 4:57 am

DOHHHH...

My favorite is G-BNLA, i have a photo of it in the data base, I hope people understand it..... Be in L.A.

Grant

Trident

Tue Oct 21, 2003 6:25 am

BA's first scheme lasted from 1974 to 1984/85. The reason why it was changed after only ten years was because of the upcoming privatisation of the airline. It was felt that the old scheme needed to be got rid of so that the newly privatised airline could move forward with a fresh image. In the event, the privatisation was postponed until 1987.

My arguments against the "Utopia" schemes were largely on practical and marketing grounds. Practically they caused all sorts of problems from a maintenance viewpoint. Image wise they gave a very confused message ie. What was BA? Was it British or not? Was it even ashamed of its Britishness? If so, why?

For me, the "lack of patriotism" was not such as issue. For a start, I'm Irish and besides, earlier British flag carrier schemes did not always feature the Union Flag anyway (Imperial Airways, BOAC, BEA up to 1968 etc).

Finally, even though more non-British people fly BA than British nationals, British nationals still make up the largest single class of BA passengers. You don't antagonise your largest class of customer - do you?

I just think BA management under Rob Ayling were living in a wooly "New Labour" type world full of nebulous notions about how to sell a business concept rather than getting down to the nitty gritty and just running an airline effectively. I'm sure Michael O'Leary was laughing up his sleeve at all this.

cancidas

Tue Oct 21, 2003 6:40 am

i think that was a bad decision on ba's part. everyone i knew loved the world tails. now it's back to the boring union jack.
"...cannot the kingdom of salvation take me home."

airways6max

Tue Oct 21, 2003 10:29 am

I never liked the world tails. I think they confused people as to British Airways identity and it's well they're going. The new tail design is much better.

View Large View Medium

Photo © Michael Carter

However, I think British Airways made a big mistake in dumping their blue and grey livery when they did. British Airways, as Britain's de-facto flag carrier ought to fly the Union Jack.

View Large View Medium

Photo © Alastair T. Gardiner

planesarecool
Topic Author

Mon Nov 03, 2003 6:41 am

Sorry to bring this topic back from the dead, but there are now photos on jetphotos.net of G-BNLC in Union Flag colours  Sad. Only two B747's(maximum) left in world tails  Sad

-Stephen

airxliban

Mon Nov 03, 2003 6:50 am

pardon my lack of excitement for the world tails, but I really feel as though the old colour scheme with the Union Jack (dark blue and grey) was the best livery. I don't like the world tails or the new blue/white colours so much. Perhaps I'm a traditionalist at the old age of 19, but that scheme was distinguished looking and classy.

Air Liban
PARIS, FRANCE...THE BEIRUT OF EUROPE.

AR385

Mon Nov 03, 2003 3:54 pm

Just look at Mexicana Tails in the early 90's. They had a similar idea (first) and nobody complained about patriotism. I think the underlying issue behind every long haul plane (if I understood correctly) now being painted back into the Union Jack is a sense of not losing that "Britishness." So characteristic of that grat country.

AR385

solnabo

Mon Nov 03, 2003 5:02 pm

Thank Lord they´re gone, hated them!
Be proud of Union Jack............
*my 2 öre*

Michael/SE
Airbus SAS - Love them both

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos