Setjet
Topic Author

Lufthansa Regional: What Is The Logo?

Mon Oct 20, 2003 3:10 am

Looking at the new Lufthansa Regional logo:

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Konstantin von Wedelstaedt

What is the logo supposed to be? The lights in a stadium? Marshmallows?
Any suggestions?

Sabena332

RE: Lufthansa Regional: What Is The Logo?

Mon Oct 20, 2003 3:28 am

A globe?

Patrick
NZ1's mother is a disgusting crack-whore and his father is a worthless alcoholic!

Setjet
Topic Author

Mon Oct 20, 2003 3:30 am

That was my first assumpton as well. But then look at the upper right edge: It looks almost like a bended right angle, not really like a globe IMO...

Sabena332

Mon Oct 20, 2003 3:33 am

You are correct, I just took a closer look and I would also say that it does not really look like a globe.

Patrick
NZ1's mother is a disgusting crack-whore and his father is a worthless alcoholic!

No doubt a corporate branding consultant was paid huge sums to come up with it. Defeats the object though if nobody knows what on Earth it's supposed to be!

AOMlover

Well I don't know why but it seems that Lufthansa loves little points...in their 747 there are billions of little grey points painted on the wall...they just love little points lol

Setjet
Topic Author

Mon Oct 20, 2003 3:35 am

If you compare the LH tail

View Large View Medium

Photo © Konstantin von Wedelstaedt

to the CO one which really looks like a globe:

View Large View Medium

Photo © Jorge Rocafort

I have my doubts that Lufthansa wanted to create a symbolised globe...

NoUFO

Mon Oct 20, 2003 3:42 am

The artist felt impressed by all those switches and lamps he found in the cockpit.

Seriously: Maybe it's a symbol for point-to-point connections or a frequent schedule?
Looks kinda dull ...
I support the right to arm bears

[email protected]

Mon Oct 20, 2003 3:50 am

Perhaps it's a mere design and not representative of anything...
"Everyone writing for the Telegraph knows that the way to grab eyeballs is with Ryanair and/or sex."

nudelhirsch

Mon Oct 20, 2003 3:58 am

Maybe indeed a stadium-lighting - soccer world cup is coming up...

Maybe also just an overview over 50 of Lufthansa's terribly ugly yellow coffee-cups in economy...I'd actually prefer a plain white styrofoam or a somehow painted paper cup instead these stoopid (sorry LH...) cups - the only cups on this freaking planet WITHOUT A GRIP!

Or it is just another of these "connect-the-dots"-games for the pax to win a free lighter or a pen...
Putana da Seatbeltz!

NoUFO

Mon Oct 20, 2003 4:26 am

Yellow cups? What yellow cups? Last time I checked they were brown at the outside and grey at the inside (the cup, not the coffee ...).

Edit:
.. to win a free lighter or a pen...
... or a parachute in case LH considers this a solution for the lack of inflight entertainment in economy.

BTW: Welcome to A.net, Nudelhirsch.
(Whatever a Noodle Deer may be ...)

[Edited 2003-10-19 21:35:23]

caribb

Mon Oct 20, 2003 4:34 am

I think thye use the dots to symbolize a uniform pattern... something they are trying to do by combining 5 airlines under the Lufthansa regional banner. Five airlines acting in a uniform way to create a seamless pattern of connections.

That being said I still say there's something nice about birds and national symbols representing airlines so that we keep it all at a more human level.

nudelhirsch

Mon Oct 20, 2003 4:36 am

Thx for welcoming, NOUFO,

I was just enjoying a domestic round trip with LH and they served the coffee in these ugly yellow cups...

I think, on intercontinental flights, they use something different, I slightly remeber the cups You desrcribed from my north-atlantic flights...the FA served the cup on these small plastic tablet which look like table-tennis-rackets...

I was just telling about those, served on a 733 on a domestic flight, might indeed be different stuff...at least the AC looked different (744 is not the same as 733... Nuts)...
Putana da Seatbeltz!

johnnybgoode

Mon Oct 20, 2003 3:32 pm

on a side note, and to enter the answer question in a different thread also relating to this new Lufthansa Regional brand, Lufthansa CityLine will not get this logo! i believe they will wear Lufthansa Regional titles, but they remain the common LH logo on the tail. so it´s actually just three airlines of this Regional thing that are going to wear these c/s, Augsburg Airways, Contact Air and Eurowings. Air Dolomiti will also maintain its identity.

cheers
daniel
If only pure sweetness was offered, why's this bitter taste left in my mouth.

Andreas

Mon Oct 20, 2003 4:46 pm

Welcome Nudelhirsch, the German team gets stronger and stronger, maybe sometime, in the distant future, we might even score a mod position Big grin (not that I 'd want it).

Ahem NoUFO, when I suggested Tartuffo with cherry liquor, I meant Tartuffo WITH CHERRY LIQUOR IN IT, a mixture you know...I didn't mean cherry liquor pure, and obviously 3 bottles of it!
The cups LH uses in Economy are yellow, and last time I checked, I wasn't colourblind...and I can't remember the time when these cups were not yellow.
And we find this exacty tone of yellow now on the tails of LH Regional!

But I disagree with Nudelhirsch on the grip, I find these things good to hold, and I just hate Styrofoam, if you touch it the wrong way it makes a sound like nails scratching over a blackboard...BAH!!!

btw a Nudelhirsch is a Hirsch that consists of Noodles or that eats mostly noodles, that much seems to be clear Big grin

[Edited 2003-10-20 09:49:40]
I know it's only VfB but I like it!

TriStar500

Mon Oct 20, 2003 4:56 pm

BTW to get totally off-topic, last time I had a RED plastic coffee cup on an LH flight. Yes, it was red, not of the yellow or gray kind. I almost fainted!!!
Maybe that's their new updated economy class concept. Big grin

Homer: Facts are meaningless. You could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true!

TriStar500

Mon Oct 20, 2003 5:06 pm

Regarding the tail logo, I think the yellow dots symbolize the pile of cash they spent on an overrated PR agency to come up with that crappy logo. Big grin
Homer: Facts are meaningless. You could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true!

Tiger119

Mon Oct 20, 2003 5:11 pm

On-topic, it looks like the fabric pattern from a hoop skirt in the 1950s.

If this is a Code-Share airline with Lufthansa, why do they not have the same or similar livery? Or is that commonplace in Europe?
Flying is the second greatest thrill known to mankind, landing is the first!

JGPH1A

Mon Oct 20, 2003 5:48 pm

Tiger 119 - this is more a Franchise that a codeshare - its a subtle but significant distinction. Codeshare strictly speak is when an airline that does not operate a flight puts its flight number on a flight operated by another airline, where the operating carrier ALSO has its OWN CODE and flight number on the flight.

Eg.

QF302 LHR-BKK-SYD is a codeshare on BA009

Franchise is where one airline operates a flight entirely on behalf of another - arrangements such as American Eagle, Continental Express etc - these airlines don't offer the flight for sale as themselves, but as an SA)">AA or SA)">CO flight number (with suitable legally mandatory notification that the flight is operated by one carrier on behalf of another). A great many carriers have this type of arrangement eg

SA)">AA - American Eagle / American Connection
SA)">DL - Delta Connection
SA)">CO - Continental Express
BA - Citiexpress, Comair, British Mediterranean, SA)">GB Airways, Regional Air
AF - Brit Air, Regional Air, Air Caraibes
SA - SA Express, SA Airlink

Most franchise deals include the painting of the franchise carrier's aircraft in the livery of the mainline carrier, or a franchise variant thereof.

In the case of Lufthansa Regional, this could mean a change in the relationship between the airlines - eg Eurowings currently operates flights under its own code EW, with codeshare LH flight numbers on the same flights. Does this mean that EW will become a pure LH franchise, and cease to operate its own flights ?
Young and beautiful and thin and gorgeous AND BANNED ! Cya at airspaceonline.com, losers

Tiger119

Mon Oct 20, 2003 6:24 pm

JGPH1A,
Thanks, I did not realize there was a difference.
Flying is the second greatest thrill known to mankind, landing is the first!

NoUFO

Mon Oct 20, 2003 11:40 pm

Ach Andreas, that's why I recently asked whether you have had this famed tartuffo dipped in liquor or a glass of liquor with your taruffo, remember? You should know that I - the Hanseatic in Berlin, the Director of Coffee, the adventurer who sailed the seas, climbed the highest mountains (not only Prenzlauer Berg) and had the most beautiful women - do not drink liquor.
I like wine, prefereably red wine, Jever Pilsener and sometimes a Scotch whisky but no liquor.

And as you probably know, big mom LH, in contrast to LH City Line, does not serve red wine in economy. Though I always try to get some. A while back I said to an F/A: "If I remember correctly, you serve red wine only to the beautiful and rich people in front?" She started laughing and passed me a bottle which was very nice of her. I guess those extra beautiful F/As have a foible for Hanseatics in Berlin, adventurers ... but back to the topic: Those cups for coffee, have always been brownish. Period. The Director of Coffee has spoken.

Maybe you and Tagliatellehirsch have flown Condor rather than LH?

nudelhirsch

Tue Oct 21, 2003 12:02 am

Right...a thread about color of LH-cups...

So maybe a.net should start a database for cups  Nuts

Tristar500's red cup would probably editor's choice due to rare view...

I just think, the LH-cups are formed like cups, so they need a grip. paper or styrofoam cups are formed like what a German would call "Becher", which has burned my fingers pretty often...so bad to hold, when there's boiling hot coffee in it, and filled up to the rim...

I also agree to the not very positive words about LH prices...but so far I always got my money back, by enjoying 3 or 4 free papers and quite some free cups (paper cups  Smile) of coffee waiting at the gate...that is at least some nice service.

I think I had some red wine on intercontinental in economy...but it's some time ago, last time I enjoyed some bottles of Beck's which tastes great when seeing this strange world 32000 feet away under the beautiful wing of a shiny 744 on an absolutely great late summer day on the way to vacation in USA...

I actually do not have any senseful comments on the logo left...sorry...
Putana da Seatbeltz!

Andreas

Tue Oct 21, 2003 12:05 am

Brownish, huh? Maybe, after all, she didn't like you THAT much and gave you a used cup, one of the older ones...ok, might be brownish after some time, now I would refuse that...

She probably was from South Germany, home of the brilliant football teams (as opposed to the so-called secret title aspirants, like HSV), and thought to herself: these fishhead boys living in fashionable quarters in Berlin actually believe they are some sort of adventurer, but...no comparison to the real men, now let's see if he's able to see the difference...no, obviously not, so let's get him some cheap cherry liquor and fill it into a wine bottle...

Climbed the highest mountains, did you? Not only Prenzl? So you even went up Teufelsberg, well congrats, must be one big lump of mountain for someone coming from the lower glacier flats, isn't it?

Setjet
Topic Author

Tue Oct 21, 2003 12:57 am

Coming back to the "sub"-topic:

I just asked a reliable source: The coffe cups are yellow! Period! (If you are lucky you might even get blue cups. Same design but a little more pleasing to the eye...).

Get some inspiration from this site:
http://www.airlinemeals.net/indexMeals.html

So maybe they want to show us just how great their cups look like...

Andreas

Tue Oct 21, 2003 1:00 am

See NoUFO, she gave you a used one, and an old used one, too Big grin Big grin Big grin

I told you so...

NoUFO

Tue Oct 21, 2003 2:29 am

Thanks for the link, Setjet.

As it is clearly shown here, the ominous cups are indeed yellow. Or maybe there's a little grey thrown in ....

The other cups (Business class) are white.

I have to admit though, that the glass looks yellow, but I guess that's only because there's some orange juice in it. Maybe you guys have had a glass of orange juice and thought "Oh, that's a nice yellowish cup - let's have it filled with some coffee"?

On a sidenote and a little bit off-topic: LH's press release does not mention the new connect-the-dots logo. Maybe they don't know either ...

And btw, Andreas: I couldn't care less about football. Maybe you and Racko are two of those flag-waving "Fans", who use to wear funny "Fan"-underwear while bawling weird songs. But that's not me.

Kind regards,
NoUFO - listening to "Real Men" by Joe Jackson

Andreas

Tue Oct 21, 2003 2:42 am

Well coming from Hamburg I wouldn't either Big grin Big grin Big grin

But then, being a Frankfurter wouldn't make me happy either ...

I still love those great smilies  Big grin

btw: Tomorrow morning I'll have a look at the cup when I get my coffee on the flight...somehow I have a feeling that the cups used on Intra-German short-hauls, when you don't get a meal, just a drink, are the yellow ones, which we also see at the airport gates...

[Edited 2003-10-20 19:48:08]

Setjet
Topic Author

Tue Oct 21, 2003 4:38 pm

Well, I have to admit that the picture doesn' show a yellow cup.

Still, they use yellow cups. I will try to find a different proof...

TriStar500

Tue Oct 21, 2003 4:55 pm

And what about my red plastic cup, which was just in the same user-unfriendly design like the gray and yellow ones we all just love to hate? Was that a one-off specimen? Did this possibly mean I won something ("Find the red cup and win free flights systemwide on LH for lifetime!") and didn't realize it?
 Big thumbs up

Cessna172RG

Tue Oct 21, 2003 6:51 pm

It does look a lot like the Continental globe...

I haven't read all posts in this thread, but I was wondering...are some of those ATR's Ex-Continental birds? I heard they got rid of their ATRs a while back.
Save the whales...for dinner!!!

leviticus

Tue Oct 21, 2003 7:00 pm

I think it looks like one of those disco-dancefloors from the 70s that can change colors and blink in certain constellations Big grin

Setjet
Topic Author

Tue Oct 21, 2003 7:52 pm

After a long time searching I found the "famous" yellow cup! Go to
http://www.airlinemeals.net/indexMeals.html
and then scroll to picture #026.

Maybe someone can link the picture directly? Don't know how to do...

UA744Flagship

Tue Oct 21, 2003 10:16 pm

Guys,

It's like a bunch of little "regular" Lufthansa logos.
no wire hangers!

Andreas

Wed Oct 22, 2003 4:19 pm

Ok here I am, back form a scheduled LH flight yesterday, Intra-German, A319 and A321, and the cups were YELLOW!!!!!

Exactly the ones shown on pic #26 on Airlinemeals... and I can't remember getting other ones in the last few years!!

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos