Tiger119
Topic Author

Flying To New York City

Mon Oct 20, 2003 7:36 pm

I am planning on taking a couple day trip to NYC this fall and staying in Mid-Town. What is the most convenient of the three airports to fly in and then taxi into downtown from. (I know this is one of those topics that has probably been discussed before but I tried searching and all I did was lock up this P.C.!!) I can get a ticket on a number of airlines direct/non-stop from home to JFK, EWR or LGA.

Thanks
Flying is the second greatest thrill known to mankind, landing is the first!

ACA330

RE: Flying To New York City

Mon Oct 20, 2003 8:15 pm

If you are staying in Midtown, try definitely to fly to LGA. From there you have many options into the city... taxi (approx $20 - tip and tolls not included), chartered bus (not certain maybe $10), even MTA (public transit).

If you are arriving during the morning rush, the traffic into the city along the Grand Central to the Triboro Bridge or the Grand Central to the BQE to the Midtown Tunnel will be typically slow.

Capt.Fantastic

Mon Oct 20, 2003 10:39 pm

LGA is definitely your airport if you're staying in Manhattan. If you have never been to NYC, definitely take a taxi - make sure a yellow medallion taxi! Taxi will get you to your destination most quickly, about 20 min or so depending on traffic. Be sure to have a few bucks ready for the tolls.

jcxp15

Mon Oct 20, 2003 10:39 pm

Yea LGA is going to be your best bet... You can take public transportation from there anywhere in the city for $2. At LGA all you have to do is walk outside, catch the M60 bus which takes you right into Manhattan, and get off at the appropriate avenue for your subway transfer downtown. Should take about 45 minutes to get from LGA to midtown (unless there's a lot of traffic, or during the AM rush). If you're taking it during the AM rush, you might want to get off at Astoria Blvd (the last stop before the bridge) and take the N or W trains into Manhattan. They'll let you off in Midtown, and you can either walk or transfer to another train to get where you need to.

If you don't want to mess with public transportation, as a lot of tourists don't, there's still a cab, should be about $25-$30 with tips and tolls included (tell your driver to take the Queensboro bridge, as there's no toll, and it can be quicker than taking the Triboro to the FDR or the Midtown tunnel).

There's also a $10 shuttle from LGA to 42nd street Grand Central Terminal. I dunno how often this runs though, (probably like every 30 minutes).

Tiger119
Topic Author

Tue Oct 21, 2003 2:12 pm

Thank you for the information. These are helpful as I have yet to visit The City. Sounds like the cab fares are close to those in Chicago and probably would be best for the first trip there.

David
Flying is the second greatest thrill known to mankind, landing is the first!

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos