Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

neilalp
Topic Author

Concorde Seats For Friday Sold For $60,300

Wed Oct 22, 2003 4:47 am

Toledo couple to ride final Concorde flight

David L. Hayes made his bid for history - and won.

The Toledo businessman and his wife, Patty, will take their seats among the passengers on the last transatlantic flight of the Concorde supersonic jet, flying Friday from New York to London. Hayes won the tickets yesterday in an online auction hosted by eBay and sponsored by NBC’s Today.

He paid $60,300 for the tickets on the approximately three-hour flight, plus hotel, and a flight home. The win came with a flurry of fingers just as the auction was closing at noon yesterday, he said.

"I bid with 10 seconds left," he said. His opponent couldn’t type quickly enough to top the last-minute bid but was gracious in defeat, he added. "I got an e-mail from her saying congratulations."

"It’s been quite exciting," he said. "I’m still in shock, to be honest. So is my wife."

The entire bid goes to four charities: the Fred Rogers Fund, Boys & Girls Club of America, Reading is Fundamental, and UNICEF. "Fred Rogers - my kids grew up with him," he said. "He was a great man."

The charitable aspect of the auction attracted Hayes, who is known for his philanthropy. (His alma mater, Tiffin University, just broke ground on the Hayes Center for the Arts.)

"It’s the trip of a lifetime," he said. "I don’t know what price tag you can put on this trip. These are the only two seats that are noninvitation. The other 98 passengers will be celebrities from both sides of the pond."

This will be Hayes’ fourth trip on the Concorde. He and his wife will receive the tickets during Thursday’s broadcast of Today.

EGGD

RE: Concorde Seats For Friday Sold For $60,300

Wed Oct 22, 2003 5:04 am

Thats funny, BA ran an identical auction a couple of days ago, also open for Americans only.

The guy has already ben on it 4 times, I mean, what the hell, this is sad.. Considering nobody in the UK even gets a chance to fly on it, even after all the taxpayers money etc etc. Very sad end to Concorde, especially considering we're not even allowed to go and see its final flight...

rb211

Wed Oct 22, 2003 5:18 am

BA should have taken a page from Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and had some kind of raffle so that people who did't have $60,300 could have had the ride of their lives. I wonder if the winner is adopting.
Airline photography. Whether they're fully clothed, butt naked, having issues or confused I'm taking pictures!!

RickB

Wed Oct 22, 2003 5:44 am

Some would say that the national competition they just ran which was free other than the premium phone call cost (which went to charity) was the treat to the UK residents and it gave away hundreds of seats rather than a pair.

Agree though - the last flight should of had at least a couple of normal UK people on it !!

RickB

emiratesa345

Wed Oct 22, 2003 5:46 am

The last flight's seats should have been sold at a first come, first served basis.

EmiratesA345 Smile
You and I were meant to fly, Air Canada!

aussiestu

Wed Oct 22, 2003 7:14 am

Oh please BA and everybody concerned with this last flight are going to make the most money they can or some charity is? If anybody from the UK was prepared to pay $60+ then they could have bid for it. Ebay is not closed to UK bidders. The flight home has UK residents as well as US flyers so its NOT completely full of americans????? And EGGD -nobody is forbidden from seeing the last flights come back.....the BAA and police authorities are saying that it is going to be extremely busy but they cannot stop you from going. But do you really want to or would you rather watch it ALL from the sanctity and comfort of your own home.

EGGD

Wed Oct 22, 2003 7:37 am

Aussietu - The Ebay Auction run by British Airways for Concorde tickets was open for US and Canadian citizens only. The police on the 24th of October will be closing the perimiter road before Concorde lands and move anybody on in the near vicinity except those in the grandstands *cough*.

cedarjet

Wed Oct 22, 2003 7:40 am

I think it's hard to be too nasty, the hundreds of competition winnders who get to ride the rocket to BHX, BFS et al didn't have to pay $60,000 - although having had the experience last week myself (see link below), I think this guy has got a bargain, personally.

https://www.airliners.net/discussions/trip_reports/read.main/37028/
fly Saha Air 707s daily from Tehran's downtown Mehrabad to Mashhad, Kish Island and Ahwaz

RickB

Wed Oct 22, 2003 8:01 am

EGGD,

I didnt think the auction was run by British Airways - I thought they just donated the tickets ?

RickB

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos