Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

milemaster
Topic Author

ATA - Gates A4A & A4B @ MDW

Thu Oct 23, 2003 3:43 am

Yesterday I had the pleasure of flying ATA BOS-MDW-DFW & was fortunate enough to depart from Gate A4B at MDW.

For those of you who haven't had the honor of departing from one of those gates, picture this:

After sitting in quite possibly the most uncomfortable seat (757)for over two hours, I felt truly honored to have to walk down a corridor for my connecting flight to DFW that had to have been at least 200 yards long with my 60 LB carry-on. Some sort of makeshift pre-fab tunnel that had absolutely nothing but two gates at the end of it.

The entire time I kept saying to myself "you get what you pay for.. you get what you pay for... you get what you pay for... kill me... kill me right now."

Unfortunately, the company that flew me out to boston gave booked my fare last minute and my choice was either AA ($2300) or DL ($2341) or FL ($600).

ATA was 467.00.. It was clear that's who I was going to be flying with.

I now live in fear of any future flights with ATA that involves a MDW connection.

I was longingly staring out the window at the AA 737 MRTC going no doubt to DFW as well.

Mexicana757

RE: ATA - Gates A4A & A4B @ MDW

Thu Oct 23, 2003 3:55 am

Milemaster

Sorry you had to walk thru that long walkway with no windows. I have seen that tunnel. It runs along Cicero avenue. That tunnel is temporary, won't be there much longer. Once the constrution on concorse B is done they will go on and finish concorse A, which will be ATA's. And you won't be using that tunnel anymore.  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

luv2fly

Thu Oct 23, 2003 4:03 am

Great picture, LOL! Maybe dragging a 60 pound carry on made this seem worse than it really was....
You can cut the irony with a knife

WMUPilot

Thu Oct 23, 2003 3:08 pm

Ok i've flown into and out of A4A and A4B several times and i didn't see a single problem with the gate arrangement. It is roomy, air/heated and has seats that you may sit down in and get an awsome view of ramp opperations, and as stated once the B concourse is completed ATA's A Concourse will be expanded so that ATA can vacate their gates on the B Concourse and get rid of A4A and A4B.
JetBlue - Bringing humanity back to air travel

Fly_ATA

Thu Oct 23, 2003 10:11 pm

Milemaster sounds like a 13 year old girl the way he was whining in that post ! Most men can handle 60 pounds and not be afraid of little tunnels with no windows. Call your mommy she will make you feel better about it.

Thu Oct 23, 2003 10:38 pm

FLY_ATA.. I really feel for you, I understand that your misplaced love of ATA must only be due to working for that excuse for an airline. I have news for you: ATA is the poo.. take a big wiff. Just goes to show you I am not the only person walking this earth that finds their seats uncomfortable, the level of service average at best and the facilities lacking. I also understand that as a probable employee you cannot say anything bad about them. BUT We are the customers, we have choices, airline service is pretty homogeneous for the most part meaning if one airline bites we can get on another one and get where we need to go. So you really need to get over calling anyone who dislikes ATA a whiner. Maybe you should fly on some other airlines and see what service is meant to be.. Believe it or not there are some airlines that do not think they are Greyhound bus lines out there with hubs that do not resemble a Greyhound terminal.

GroundStop

Thu Oct 23, 2003 10:55 pm

"with hubs that do not resemble a Greyhound terminal."

I think your comments are a little exaggerated here. The bulk of ATA's operation at MDW is out of Concourse B, which is brand new and quite nice. The two gates everybody is complaining about are temporary. The old concourse B is being demolished, and that process is blocking 3 gates on the new concourse from being used. Once that process is complete, those gates will be gone. And...I happen to work for a competitor of ATA.

JP

flyinryan99

Thu Oct 23, 2003 11:24 pm

Milemaster - grow up. As WMUpilot said, the gates are just temporary until the B gates are finished up by the end of this year. I flew out of there and didn't have any problems with it, except maybe it was a tad lacking on seats down by the gates. What seat did you get stuck in on the 757??? Lemme guess, you checked in about 30 minutes before departure and it was a full flight? 60lb carryon....who's fault is that?

I am not saying the airline I work for is great. In fact, there are definitely improvements needed, mostly in our customer service areas at and around the gates in Chicago. I guess the overall thing here is you get what you pay for.

As a side note, the B gates should be finished up here in December. My guess is that ATA would like the A gates to be extended a little ways and take the area where A4A and A4B is and make it the boarding area for Chicago Express...that would make sense for me so they could add doorways and board multiple flights at once instead of boarding everything out of one gate. Time will tell though.

I do apologize for any inconviences you had, but we're doing the best we can with cards that we are dealt with at the moment.

Ry

milemaster
Topic Author

Fri Oct 24, 2003 3:05 am

Milemaster - grow up. As WMUpilot said, the gates are just temporary until the B gates are finished up by the end of this year. I flew out of there and didn't have any problems with it, except maybe it was a tad lacking on seats down by the gates. What seat did you get stuck in on the 757??? Lemme guess, you checked in about 30 minutes before departure and it was a full flight? 60lb carryon....who's fault is that?

First and foremost, let me establish that I made this roundtrip in 30 hours. That in itself is rough... As a business traveler time is everything. The majority of that time was either sitting on an ATA plane, or waiting for one.

As a matter of fact I used ATA's on-line check in, so to answer your "guess" whether or not I checked in 30 mins prior.. No.

My 60Lb carryon was a result of my laptop and expensive job-related equipment that I'm not willing to check as baggage. Nobody in their right mind would.. telling me to "grow up" only speaks volumes as to how ATA employees feel about their customers. That's really fantastic.

The 757 reeked.. I'm sorry, but that is the truth. I'm merely sharing that.. This is a forum right?

The 737's were nice.. I have no complaints there.

The fact is why I shared this is from the view of someone who travels on business quite regularly. It's the little things like this that can really turn a trip into a bad experience.

ATA is a strange little airline.. they have the fares of Southwest, but none of the frequencies or customer service levels people who travel on business often expect. They have some nice bells & whistles SWA doesn't have like IFE & nice seats on the 737's, but quite simply doesn't make the cut when customer relations and frequency mean more.

I'm returning to BOS this Sunday and have already booked on Midwest via MKE.. I shared with our travel department some of the remarks and got some good laughter out of it. At least our company is going to steer clear of ATA.

This whining 13 yr. old little girl doesn't have to take it... Like another ATA employee has so professionally stated: I can always call my mommie and she can make me feel better about it.

ATA - overflowing with class as you all can see.

WNfan

Fri Oct 24, 2003 3:20 am

Well done, Fly_ATA. You've ostracized a paying customer and probably cost your airline some future business with your "mommy" line.

In defense of the long concourse, it is indeed temporary. The extension to the A concourse, to be completed in the next few months, should give passengers a much better gate experience when flying ATA. This is all a result of the construction of the new Midway airport, which has been a great improvement for Chicago. Calling it a bus terminal isn't appropriate anymore -- it's a first-rate airport.

And ATA's new 737-800s are indeed great. I've never been on one of their 757s, but I believe reports of the smell.

Watch out for these guys who blindly defend ATA here. If you say anything negative, or point out that their posts are not quite true, they will make ad hominem attacks and request deletion of your posts.

Mexicana757

Fri Oct 24, 2003 3:20 am

ATA will have some 14 gates once concorse A is finished later next year or early 2005. Where the A4A and A4B gates are thats where the Chicago Express airplanes will be at.

Fri Oct 24, 2003 3:27 am

The best defense against claims of slander is the truth. So far my postings on another ATA related thread have stayed up in spite of them swarming on me. I guess its no great secret the service at ATA is subpar and maybe instead of attacking the people that dislike the airline they could admit there are problems. There must be an ATA bat signal sort of thing out there because its amazing the way an ATA post comes up and they swarm. I have yet to see a post pulled down on the basis it was controversial since this is afterall a forum.

ATA767

Fri Oct 24, 2003 6:12 am

All.
ATA is a good valued product that is in the infancy of it's scheduled service era in comparison to the other airlines you mention. I have experienced long walks and smelly planes at DL,FL,AA and WN before. Please do not act like it does not exist anywhere else other than ATA, people will just not return. ATA does have customer service issues because they can not hire premium agents. Premium agents cost money and guess who pays for it...you.

All to say that nit picking at ATA is not necessary and although it is based on your truth and experience ot is some what exaggerated. Long walks from a gate is the airport design not the airline. Staying clear of low fares is a bad business move and although I would want "Milemaster" as a customer I want him to be responsible enough to send his comments to ATA and make a case for a change. He has a legitimate gripe and reason to look elswhere.

WMUPilot

Fri Oct 24, 2003 1:02 pm

I like how people call us poo and yet we still seem to be making money...I guess the flying public likes flying on poo then huh. Since we are poo and are on the profit train what does that make AA, UA, US?

As for the customer service look at the DOT stats. ATA has consistantly had lower than 1 complain per 100,000 enplanements. Obviously the rest of the flying public doesn't seem to think that we have bad customer service!!

WMUPilot

Fri Oct 24, 2003 1:11 pm

Ok hard feelings aside it comes down to this on both sides. A few people had a bad experience on ATA and decided to post his truthful comments in this thread. Obviously the ATA Employees on this website didn't take too kindly to being told that their airline sucked and smelled like poo (see other thread). So everybody got their emotions up in a tangle. I'm sure that you, Startvalve, and everybody else on here would respond the same way if they were just told that their airline sucked and was the worse thing ever invented when they've poured all their time and effort into making it a world class airline. If anything I personally hope that the employees on here kind of think about his words and try their hardest to remedy the situation so that no other person may have to put of with that again (Like the new C8 bording process, but that's a whole nother thread). We have the means to correct it so lets do it.

**Thought I should post it on both threads**

jjbiv

Fri Oct 24, 2003 4:17 pm

Was the walk down the A4A/B corridor not worth the hundreds of dollars in savings on ATA verses the other carriers? It's a far from ideal setup, but stop half-way to the gate and enjoy the wondrous view of the baggage transfer point  Wink/being sarcastic

To be honest, I'm sorry you didn't like your experience with ATA, however I really don't see anything in your complaints that is exclusive to ATA. All airlines have messy planes, long walks to connecting gates, and bad seats on occasion. It's unfortunate that you got ALL of these on your first experience with a new carrier.

Further, I don't know that any of this has anything to do with getting what you pay for. Traveling certainly can be stressful in its own right; do you still feel this way post-trip? If so, I'd suggest contacting Customer Relations.

joe

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos