Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

767Lover
Topic Author

Did Anyone Hear About This SWA Incident?

Sat Oct 25, 2003 1:42 am

(item ran in today's Atlanta Journal-Constitution)

Passenger charged in incident on flight

A Southwest Airlines flight headed to California on Wednesday was forced to return to Las Vegas when a passenger allegedly threatened to take down the plane with a bomb in his carry-on bag, authorities said Thursday. Passengers and crew members restrained Salvador Gonzalez when he started walking to the front of the Boeing 737, pinning him in a row of seats, officials said. No bomb was found. Gonzalez, 27, was charged with interfering with a flight crew, assault and other counts, and ordered held without bail by a federal magistrate.

Mexicana757

RE: Did Anyone Hear About This SWA Incident?

Sat Oct 25, 2003 2:04 am

Speaking of incidents on Southwest, another one occured yesterday. A man got on board with a weapon, the flight was bound towards MDW. The flight originated in OAK. And WN wants an explanation from TSA on how a weapon got on board. Here is the link to that story.
http://abclocal.go.com/wls/news/102403_ap_ns_midwayarrest.html

AA737-823

Sat Oct 25, 2003 2:05 am

Well, hate to jump to conclusions, but he must be dumb- doesn't her remember what happened the LAST time someone got a littly nutty on a SWA airplane? Yeah- the passengers jumped and killed him.

Which is exactly what I would have done had I been on this plane.

R

BAGSMASHER

Sat Oct 25, 2003 2:17 am

Yeh, the "professional" flight attendants stood by and watched as passengers took down the maniac. Yeh, WN is so great, the darling of the industry. What a F---ing joke!!

contrails

Sat Oct 25, 2003 2:26 am

I heard about the incident yesterday, but this one is a new one. I wonder why the nuts are picking on WN?

Good job, passengers!
Flying Colors Forever!

goingboeing

Sat Oct 25, 2003 2:48 am

Yeh, the "professional" flight attendants stood by and watched as passengers took down the maniac. Yeh, WN is so great, the darling of the industry. What a F---ing joke!!

Not to nitpick here, but the quote said:

Passengers and crew members restrained Salvador Gonzalez when he started walking to the front of the Boeing 737, pinning him in a row of seats, officials said.

I thought the pilots were forbidden from leaving the cockpit because of a disturbance in the cabin. If that's the case, who were the "crew members" involved in pinning this idiot to a row of seats?

WNfan

Sat Oct 25, 2003 2:53 am

Flight attendants are crew members.

goingboeing

Sat Oct 25, 2003 2:58 am

Flight attendants are crew members

I know...that's why I wonder why BAGSMASHER dissed the FA's.

doninfc

Sat Oct 25, 2003 3:11 am

In light of the way the world has changed over the past 2 years, most notably the airline industry, is it any wonder that passengers and crew tend to air on the side of caution when dealing with unstable or threatening passengers? People need to be responsible for their own actions, and drug or alcohol induced stupers are no excuse for threatening behavior aboard a commercial flight. Flight attendants and passengers have very little time to assess whether an aggressive passenger truly has violent intentions, or are just a bit off.

For those passengers who are mentally unstable, if they are not institutionalized, perhaps they should be chaperoned when on a commercial flight. I realize some people may slip through the cracks, but you can't blame passengers and flight crews for assuming the worst when these people act up and threaten the safety of the flight. Just my 2 cents.

AA737-823

Sat Oct 25, 2003 4:55 am

I am with Don on this one. I remember a story from recent past- may have been that one that was killed on Southwest a while back, maybe a different one- where the guy was mentally challenged and his dad WAS with him. BUT- his dad couldn't restrain him, and so things got out of hand. It is very sad.
BUT- if you have a mentally challenged son (who is an adult by chronological standards) and you cannot predict his behavior well enough to ensure that he is not going to make a threat, THEN you are making a big gamble taking him on a plane.

IN OTHER WORDS- If I had a challenged son, and I was a senior citizen, and I knew that he might get out of hand and say the wrong thing, I would not take him on an airliner in the first place. Sorry, just not wise.

R

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos