Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

markyboy
Topic Author

Concorde For Scotland!

Sun Oct 26, 2003 12:20 pm

According to the Scotland On Sunday the museum of flight at East Fortune is to receive one of the recently retired Concorde's.

http://www.scotlandonsunday.com/scotland.cfm?id=1180142003

This would be a major coup not only for the museum of flight but for the whole of Scotland.

Makes me feel a little better if it turns out to be true but I still can't help feeling that BA and the weak willed mob led by Mr Blair at No10 have badly let every one down in allowing her to be withdrawn from service and not be sold on to another party capable of making her profitable. What other country in the world would allow their greatest marvel of technology to simply cease because the airline that never paid for her in the first place decides it doesn't want to fly her no more?

Shame on you BA, shame on you Blair yesterday you both succeeded in removing the Great from Great Britain.

Rant Over Wishing East Fortune, Good Fortune!

markyboy.

GDB

RE: Concorde For Scotland!

Sun Oct 26, 2003 6:32 pm

Since the UK government involvement Concorde ended 20 years ago, BA has been private for 16 years, successive UK governments since have a policy of non interference in airlines (even after Sept 11th when BA got none of the help that US majors and some EU carriers enjoyed), how exactly could they have prevented Concorde's retirement?
Who phased out Concorde first out of BA and AF?
Who (as a result of one airline dropping out) decided that supporting Concorde in these circumstances was no longer viable as the other would now have to pay the full costs, (which we've always known would be the case throughout the aircraft's history)?

I'm the one directly affected by all this, with an unknown future at BA, losing a job I loved, colleagues I respected and an aircraft I adored.
Yet I (and the better informed, more adult, air net members) seem to be the only ones who can address this subject without getting into silly, tabloid style, ignorant rants with no regard for facts.
Remember Concorde for the great aircraft it was, not a way to express some juvenile political point scoring.

Sun Oct 26, 2003 7:05 pm

Oh dear GDB, what a pompous person you are! If you disagree with an opinion posted here you are, of course, entitled to say so but that doesn't make your contribution any more valid than anyone else's. I assume from your post you work for BA, so the pompous attitude shouldn't really have come as such a surprise.

RickB

Sun Oct 26, 2003 7:14 pm

Manairport,

Sorry mate - but yours is the more pompous post

RickB

GDB

Sun Oct 26, 2003 7:21 pm

You don't know me, some on here do.
Yes I do work for BA, so 50000 people, of various backgrounds and nationalities are all pompous then?
Hell of a generalization, so who being stupid now then?

If being pompous is getting a bit sick of all the bollocks often posted on here, despite those who actually know the issues being discussed repeatedly being telling it how it is, then I plead guilty.

Not been here very long have you? Try doing a search on subjects before putting foot in mouth.

If not, at least try contributing some insight to the subject at hand, if you've got any.

Sun Oct 26, 2003 8:05 pm

What exactly did you want me to do a search on, and why? I commented on your pompous remarks - are you suggesting I should have searched for more of them from you?

bmi330

Sun Oct 26, 2003 8:07 pm

Calm down guys, so is Scotland getting a Concorde and if we do it should be put next to the science centre in Glasgow or In Barrhead were the toilets for her were supposedly made as I think that the only Scottish bit's in her and it would be relay handy for me as I stay there.

Shamrock_747

Sun Oct 26, 2003 8:19 pm

All the issues around Concorde (i.e Airbus increasing maintainance costs, Air France pulling out etc.) have been well explained by people like GDB who have a huge amount of knowlege about Concorde.

If you search some of these posts you'll see that the end of Concorde commercial flights is a lot more than BA deciding they don't want her anymore.

Declan

bmi330

Sun Oct 26, 2003 8:21 pm

So were is BA's concords going?

gkirk

Sun Oct 26, 2003 9:10 pm

East Fortune Museum will be the location in Scotland if a Concorde is housed here.
Not been there for a wee while but its a decent museum, but they'd probably need to take the a/c by road from EDI or something.
When you hear the noise of the Tartan Army Boys, we'll be coming down the road!

bmi330

Sun Oct 26, 2003 9:20 pm

Why are they going to put something so great in the middle of no were they should wait and make her the new centre peace of the new Glasgow transport museum at the new Glasgow port development next to the SECC would be a fitting place for her and it would be a rather simple operation to get her into place I imagine.

donder10

Sun Oct 26, 2003 9:43 pm

What exactly did you want me to do a search on, and why? I commented on your pompous remarks - are you suggesting I should have searched for more of them from you?
Perhaps the facts about Concorde.

Oh dear GDB, what a pompous person you are! If you disagree with an opinion posted here you are, of course, entitled to say so but that doesn't make your contribution any more valid than anyone else's. I assume from your post you work for BA, so the pompous attitude shouldn't really have come as such a surprise.
Perhaps posting facts and not crap would help.

jmc757

Sun Oct 26, 2003 9:56 pm

On the BBC's coverage on Friday afternoon it was mentioned that Branson had negociated with British Aerospace and another company (can't remember who) for them to take the responsibility for Concorde's airworthiness certificate etc etc. they also said progress was made but again a block came from Airbus. How true is this, I don't know facts on that, just heard it on the BBC, although they dont tend to make stuff like that up??

Anyway, good to see Scotland is getting one. Are they still thinking of sending one to Barbados? I know it was an important destination for Concorde over the years, but they don't even have an Aerospace museum(!) Apparently a business man has offered to maintain it?? Like I said, I don't know the facts here, but this came from a pretty reliable website. Once upon a time a business man bought a Vulcan and parked it at Blackpool.....

jmc757

mrjworth

Sun Oct 26, 2003 10:27 pm

Just to clarify all 7 Concordes are currently at Heathrow?

Granite

Sun Oct 26, 2003 11:35 pm

Hi all

Now that the kiddie, juvenile, tit-for-tat posts have stopped, it's great that Scotland could be getting one.

I had read that East Fortune will be planning major extension work so the plans to add a Concorde would go down well.

Cheers

Gary Watt

Shamrock_747

Mon Oct 27, 2003 3:50 am

Mrjworth,

Yes, all 7 Concordes are at heathrow. I think (might be wrong) that AA and AF are in TBK and the others are in TBA.

Declan

GDB

Mon Oct 27, 2003 4:55 am

I don't really want to speculate on where they are going, as it has become a very fraught process with some previous front runners now in doubt.
Suffice to say that Seattle, Manchester and Filton are near certainties as BA are confident that a good job will done to maintain them in good condition.
East Fortune may, and I stress may, get OAA.
But not for a considerable time, and I seriously doubt it would be made suitable even for a limited ferry flight.

GDB

Mon Oct 27, 2003 5:18 am

A story on this subject here;

http://www.concordesst.com/latestnews.html

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos