Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

flying_727
Topic Author

ATA, Rapid Expansion?

Wed Oct 29, 2003 12:53 am

As I read the ATA website i see that ATA is planning to add flights in New York as well as "greatly increasing serivce to Hawaii." I was just wondering with this and other service ata has started lately if the airline is expanding to fast and will end up like planet hollywood or if ATA will have to buy more planes to meet there expansion plans.

Flying_727
On ATA, You're On Vacation

WMUPilot

RE: ATA, Rapid Expansion?

Wed Oct 29, 2003 3:35 am

We expanded too fast last year and with the addition of an entire new fleet..hence the major debt payment that we are trying to get renegoiated. The expansion will be in the markets that we already serve so the costs will be kept at a minumum. George alreay stated on the employee website that this year will be a sit back and watch year. Keep making profits, gain more unrestriced cash so we will be in a better situation.
JetBlue - Bringing humanity back to air travel

BlatantEcho

Wed Oct 29, 2003 3:50 am

interesting. I've been watching ATAH stock lately, as it hovers around ~$8.

I like the idea of sitting back, getting the ship in order financially and then expanding pointedly when the resources are available.

*ponders investment*

George

WMUPilot

Wed Oct 29, 2003 7:44 am

If you are going to invest then i would suggest waiting till we get this whole bond situation settled. I also haven't heard anymore on the Ex National 757's joining our fleet. I'm sure that that is still a option but time will tell.

ATA767

Wed Oct 29, 2003 12:08 pm

Used 757 is a good move for ATA. So far the additional flights are doing well (SFO-EWR) I have heard. Slow but steady expansion will keep ATA marketable and profitable. There really is a need for EWR to Florida. There is so little LCC competition there and much demand. They would do well.

Wed Oct 29, 2003 12:16 pm

I doubt ATA will be acquring more planes -- they wanted to differ some of their B753, but couldn't reach an agreement with Boeing.

I LOVE EWR

Wed Oct 29, 2003 12:26 pm

A tad off topic but I was wondering if one of the ATA employees on here can help me out. Just purchased my friends ticket EWR-SFO-HNL-SFO-EWR and was wondering if their is a way I can get a preassignment of Emergency Exit Row for him. If not he might want to kill me when he gets of the plane and eventually meets me in OGG. Thank you.

ATA767

Wed Oct 29, 2003 12:31 pm

The cost of a lease on a new 753 is much much more than leasing 752's from the dessert.

tzsfo

Wed Oct 29, 2003 12:32 pm

I Love EWR - Send me an email and I will see what I can do.....

-TZ
It takes nerves of steel to stay neurotic. — Herb Kelleher

kevin752

Wed Oct 29, 2003 2:34 pm

I flew about 5 years ago on ATA from LAX-OGG-HNL-LAX on their LT1011's and they were totally full not one seat avaliable. My parents have flown on their new 757's and they told me the flighs were full as usuall. Their Hawaii flights are very profitable to them because they have the cheapest fares to hawaii from lax almost all the time. Other than that I have never flown on them. I think that a lot of their flights are full. ATA is a great airline they have great planes, great service, great food and entertainment.
"Keep Climbing"

LHR001

Wed Oct 29, 2003 2:39 pm

"Greatly Increasing Service to Hawaii" ... ?

Perhaps

SFO-KOA
LAX-KOA
LAS-HNL
LAS-OGG
PDX-HNL
SEA-HNL
SEA-OGG

Where else would they "Greatly" increase service to or from???

WMUPilot

Wed Oct 29, 2003 11:30 pm

SEA-HNL was just added to the list and we are now the only airline that flies non-stop from SEA to HNL. Those flights start in Feb '04. I am willing to bet that management is going to see how those flights do out of SEA before expanding out of there.

flyinryan99

Thu Oct 30, 2003 12:03 am

" was wondering if their is a way I can get a preassignment of Emergency Exit Row for him. "

Sorry, but we can't preassign exit row seating. He'll have to get there in a decent amount of time to get the exit row seat of his choice...of course in the 757 there are plenty more (exit row seats) in there then in a 738 =) Hope he enjoys his trip!!

Ry

Thu Oct 30, 2003 12:10 am

...we are now the only airline that flies non-stop from SEA to HNL.

Huh? NW flies SEA-HNL twice daily with DC-10-30 -- one flight will be switched to OGG in mid-December. HA flies daily with B763. So TZ becomes the third, not the first, airline to serve the route (although others, like UA, have served it in the past).

Leneld

Thu Oct 30, 2003 12:44 am

Does ATA plan to service Portland in the future? It's my understanding that there is alot of demand for more Hawaiian service from here...

WMUPilot

Thu Oct 30, 2003 1:12 am

PDX is on ATA's list of cities to serve. What time frame and their entry i cannot say as i don't believe that we will be adding any cities in '04. We've got to get this debt payment settled and get the whole money situation in order before we look into expanding again. We overexpanded in the past few years (in my opinion) and streched our resources out thin. We may just start following WN and connecting some of the dots. Like the EWR-SFO-HNL and SFO-LGA. I would look for more expansion out of SFO first because the community and local airport authorities seem to love us out there and are glad we are taking a strong hold on SFO and not OAK or SJC

WNfan

Thu Oct 30, 2003 4:21 am

Posted by Wmupilot:

We may just start following WN and connecting some of the dots.

That's a good idea.

ATA767

Thu Oct 30, 2003 4:36 am

Wmupilot.
Do you know if there will be any added service to Florida? Especialy from the North-East?

WMUPilot

Thu Oct 30, 2003 4:19 pm

I cannot personally atest to what new routes will be added to where from where. The company has set up strong positions in SFO and EWR, LGA so I would suspect to see some additional routes out of those stations. As WN is going after US in PHL, ATA is heading up CO in it's hub at EWR, abeit on a smaller scale. The transcon flights are too full right now but give it a month and i'm sure that they will fill right up with the continuation onto HNL. Stations and routes wise ATA is set up pretty well and will continue to gain favor. The new frequent flyer program is up and running, and we are now testing selling food onboard the EWR-SFO flight. $5 is the cost for a meal. If the program goes well you'll see it expand onto more and more routes. ATA Connection is in continuation talks with SAAB about the aquisition of new aircraft to use inconjunction with the 340B's that we are now operating. The new boarding process for all C8 flights seems to be going well, a bit of confusion as to the process has been ironed out and flights are now leaving ontime if not 5minutes early. The only delays that we've had, in GRR, the past few days are just minor follow on maintenance delays. In a recent article ATA Connection was praised for their enterance in LEX and driving down costs and fueling extreme growth for the airport. ATA was also just named the Worlds Best Charter Airline, an honor that we are proud of (just wish it was Worlds Best Airline)!

All in all ATA is in a pretty good position, again we will be alot better off once the debt renegoation is settled. In '04 I suspect that we will just kinda sit back and watch what happens with USAirways, ACA & Mesa, United, American, and just play off of those.

johnboy

Thu Oct 30, 2003 7:09 pm

I'll have to agree with their entrance into Lexington.

I price flights back to Kentucky frequently, and (not?) surprisingly, Lexington consistently has the cheapest flights from San Francisco. However, I absolutely refuse to fly tiny little "airplanes", so unfortunately I'll not be flying ATA.

jjbiv

Fri Oct 31, 2003 3:57 am

The Saab weighs in at 29,000 pounds -- hardly a "tiny little 'airplane'". As someone who has both flown on and worked around these aircraft, they are built like tanks! You should give them a try -- you might just like it...

joe

WMUPilot

Fri Oct 31, 2003 5:20 am

The SAABs aircraft are built one of the most reliable aircraft in service, for it's age. Any maintenance problems are easily solved and fixed within 1/2 hour. The aircraft is a bit loud if your sitting infront of the props but the ride is extremely smooth. I would highly suggest throwing caush into the wind and hoping onboard and giving it a try. If you don't like little planes then i guess you don't fly on the D328's, Dash-8's. The SAAB 340B's sit 34 passengers in 1 by 2 seating with 4 seats across row 14.

ATA767

Fri Oct 31, 2003 7:39 am

"The transcon flights are too full right now but give it a month and I'm sure that they will fill right up with the continuation onto HNL."

Wmupilot
I think you meant to say not too full in your post. From what I hear, the Transcon are doing well. They were more than 80% full on the first day from EWR and close to full for Thanksgiving already. That is doing great for a new route if you ask me. I am thrilled for ATA and am sure management is happy too. I look forward for more service from EWR.

WMUPilot

Fri Oct 31, 2003 1:24 pm

Yeah that's what i ment. Maybe i just looked at a bad day in the schedule as there were some mx and atc delays but the flight was only booked to 87 - 90 or so on a 753. I'm sure that once the holiday traffic picks up they will be better on the loads. Not to mention the new food onboard should be a hit with the passengers.

Fri Oct 31, 2003 2:00 pm

ATA, Rapid Expansion?

I see that TZ's method of advertising at flea markets, gun shows, Wal-Mart and Alda (sp?) has finally payed off. Congratulations, TZ!!  Smile

WMUPilot

Sat Nov 01, 2003 12:24 am

Hey money is money no matter the source!

LHR001

Sat Nov 01, 2003 12:37 am

Any chance of dumping San Jose for Sacramento or Portland service?

It would seem redundant serving both San Francisco and San Jose

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos