Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

usair330
Topic Author

Bad Move By Street To Invite WN Into PHL?

Wed Oct 29, 2003 1:17 pm

I think that was not a smart move by John Street to invite Southwest into PHL. Governor Ed Rendell is trying to get US Airways to bring there Headquarters into Pennsylvania, soo will this somehow bring up a NO from US Airways to do so? Also I mentioned in another post that US Airways is in charge of movements from Terminal A-E.... So if someone can confirm that, does it mean that US employees can intentionally welcome delays to WN?

luv2fly

RE: Bad Move By Street To Invite WN Into PHL?

Wed Oct 29, 2003 3:07 pm

PHL airport is a public place, not owned by US, tho pretty much held hostage by them. Also considering US and what they did with the PIT gate leases during the 11th hour, why should the state of PA trust US again?
You can cut the irony with a knife

WNfan

Wed Oct 29, 2003 3:45 pm

From what I've heard of Street's re-election efforts, announcing this now sounds like an astute move politically.

Trvlr

Wed Oct 29, 2003 3:48 pm

Lucky for PHL that it is served by so many international airlines. If USAirways goes under, PHL will lose most, but not all of its international route structure. PIT will be in a much worse situation.

Aaron G.

PVD757

Wed Oct 29, 2003 3:55 pm

I worked for AA a few years back at PHL. The story goes that nobody wanted to help run the ramp control portion for push backs, etc. and the airlines voted that US should be responsible for running this part. When we tried to push back from A, if there was a US pushing from B, you always waited. I've even seen them push into the taxilane between terminals and continue to load bags after they push back. They were very abusive with who had the right of way.

As far as whether it was a good move or not, he better just worry about the $500 million in bonds that the airport floated for both terminal F and the New International gates. If US goes under PHL eats the debt. WN will not help them with those terminals.

A330323X

Wed Oct 29, 2003 5:33 pm

Out of PHL, US serves LGW, MAN, DUB, SNN, GLA, MAD, CDG, AMS, FRA, MUC, FCO. BA serves LHR, AF serves CDG, and LH serves FRA. Were US to go under, LH would probably add MUC, NW/KL would probably add AMS, and AZ would probably add FCO or MXP. That would leave PHL with 6 European destinations instead of 11. That's about what PHL had 5 or so years ago. Where PHL would really get hammered is the Caribbean, with all the nonstop service US has there. I know AA serves SJU, AirJamaica serves MBJ, and I think USA3000 serves CUN. They could probably get Cayman to serve GCM, but I don't think much beyond that, and certainly nothing like the service they have now.

PIT actually wouldn't lose a thing. Right now, their only transatlantic flight is PIT-FRA on US. LH would pick that up (or add MUC instead) if US folded. The days of PIT having service to LON and CDG are long gone.
I'm the expert on here on two things, neither of which I care about much anymore.

uadc8contrail

Wed Oct 29, 2003 5:49 pm

let wn do the west coast for 99 o/w....us will match and throw in some ife that wn can not provide....give me a 321/757 any day over a 737ng to the west coast.....
Bus Driver

planemaker

Wed Oct 29, 2003 6:03 pm

Uadc8contrail:

The 757 and 737 interior cabin, seat and aisle widths are identical.
Nationalism is an infantile disease. It is the measles of mankind. - A. Einstein

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos