Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

mozart
Topic Author

Why Do People Go To Toilets Just Before Touchdown?

Tue Nov 04, 2003 8:26 am

I've noticed this on numerous flights, especially in the US but also in Europe: when the announcement comes that "we'll be landing in 10 minutes, please fasten your seatbelts (etc) stay seated until the plane comes to a complete halt", there are always some people that feel a strong urge to use the restrooms JUST THEN. They get out of their seats and slumber to the loos and come back just before touchdown.

Why???? THey could have done it for the past 1/2/3/4/5/ or howver many hours the flight lasted, after all, they knew approximately what time they would arrive. ANd in case they really feel the urge in that very moment, well, they can wait those couple of more minutes, can't they?? I mean, they've just been told it will only be another 10 or so minutes.

I just don't get it. Is it something in people's subconsciousness that they have to land in a "cleaned" state?

Someone with a degree in psychology can explain this? More anecdotes?

andersjt

RE: Why Do People Go To Toilets Just Before Touchdown?

Tue Nov 04, 2003 8:37 am

There is what is known as the "power of suggestion."

Depending on the approach, airport and conditions, it could be a long time between the announcment until we're parked at the gate. Better to get up and make one final pit stop. The one time you don't, the plane will land, the gate won't be ready and you'll be sitting on the tarmac for an hour, without being able to get up.

Oh how I long for the day when the skies were truly Friendly!

planemannyc

Tue Nov 04, 2003 8:39 am

I hear you, mozart. It's especially annoying if you are seating close to the back and there is a line a mile long next to you.

However, having said that, I was once on a flight from LHR to JFK, and our flight had arrived on time (and I had not gone to the restroom), and we landed but the gate we were assigned to had a delay. We waited for 30 minutes for the gate to clear, and I have to say that I had wished at that time that I had gone to the restroom before landing. Perhaps those people who rush to the restroom had similar experiences  Big grin . However, I just don't get why the rush before landing, though....surely they can stagger it so they can be done with the restroom way before landing time and not need to go for hours...I would take a larger restroom landside than the cramped ones in the air anyday.

FrequentFlyKid

Tue Nov 04, 2003 8:44 am

They probably had to go to the bathroom.  Smile

Iberia340600

Tue Nov 04, 2003 8:47 am

It must be like a psychological thing....you know...the thought of not being able to get up....that urge just gets you.

Same thing as a last call at a bar....everyone runs to get a final drink...so they are not left empty-handed....makes sense no?
Visca Barça!!

SHUPirate1

Tue Nov 04, 2003 8:51 am

I have a different reason...fear of either missing a tight connection that I may have, or fear of having my bags stolen off the carousel...in fact, one of my major pet peeves is when I am traveling with a group, and they need to use the bathroom right AFTER we land, while walking either to the next gate or the baggage claim...
Burma's constitutional referendum options: A. Yes, B. Go to Insein Prison!

Tue Nov 04, 2003 9:12 am

A good example of the power of suggestion idea works on the system in place at Washington-National airport for which all passengers must be strapped into their seats for the final 30 minutes of flight. As soon as the 30 minute announcement comes over the PA, a third of the plane charges the lavatories. It's both funny and unfunny at the same time.  Smile

dtwclipper

Tue Nov 04, 2003 9:27 am

I could never understand it. Back in the 80's I used to work the New York Air shuttles and as soon as I made that P.A. there was always a rush. Our flights were less then 45 min on the norm, but it never failed!

Compare New York Air, the Airline that works for your Business

britman

Tue Nov 04, 2003 10:19 am

its just the same on take off never mind landing. as soon as the tone over the PA is heard for it to be ok to un-fasten your seat belt everyone rushes to the toilet and they also start pressing on the button for assistance from the cabin crew ie..drinks,drinks and more drinks then they wonder why they have to use the loo all the time. AND while we are on the subject of "why" on aircraft, why do people stand up and retrieve their luggage from the overheads and then stand in the aisles more or less banging on the door to get out on arriving at their destination ?

AA7771stClass

Tue Nov 04, 2003 10:23 am

I have noticed the same thing and it drives me nuts. We almost had to do a go around on approach to DFW 13R from OKC (a freaking 40 minute flight and they can't hold it...). It really pissed me off how close we came and the guy just sauntered out like nothing was wrong.

As a matter of fact, I was wondering this earlier this weekend while flying: If it's against the law to not listen to crew member instructions (you know no smoking in the lavs yada yada...), why do they not fine those who are up and about when the fasten seat belt sign is on? It is an instructional sign and turned on by a crew member to boot... Maybe if they started fining people, everyone would stay seated until it was actually ok to move about the cabin...

JAFA

Tue Nov 04, 2003 11:19 am

Its one of those things that I sit back and grin at as a flight attendant. What else can I do. I only stop people from going once the landing gear comes down. Yes we let people get away with it, it easier that getting my boxers all in a bunch.

FLAIRPORT

Tue Nov 04, 2003 11:34 am

i think it also has to o with nerves. a lot of people are nervous on takeoff and landing.

I think it should be ok to use the restroom when the seatbelt sign is on only if you ask the FA. what do you think?
NEXT FLIGHT: FLL-ATL-HPN on FL

captaink

Tue Nov 04, 2003 11:39 am

Since my flights are usually about 5 hours, i go just before touchdown, to fix up. After the flight you are usually a bit rumpled. Secondly in these American Airports running to catch you conntection flight, you don't know when next you would get the opportunity. So empty yourself while you have the chance..
Look Up

jeffrey1970

Tue Nov 04, 2003 11:44 am

Flairport,

The only problem with that is liability. If the pilot has turned on the fasten seatbelt, and a passenger is allowed to get up and use the toilet, if then the plane suddenly hits turbulence and the passenger gets hurt or hurts another passenger that would creat lots of problems.

God bless through Jesus,

Jeff
God bless through Jesus, Jeff

JAFA

Tue Nov 04, 2003 11:50 am

Well the seatbelt sign is turned on an annoucement is always made. If you choose to disregard it then its your choice. We don't live in Utopia. People still drive fast despite speed limit signs. The public just seems to hear what they want to hear. I still have to go through the cabin telling people to do this and that despite making clearly worded repetitive annoucements. Iwish I had more A.net users on my flights. The again we don't have PTV's on most planes so it might be a disaster. (Just kidding)

JAFA

Tue Nov 04, 2003 11:50 am

When the seatbelt sign is turned on an annoucement is always made. If you choose to disregard it then its your choice. We don't live in Utopia. People still drive fast despite speed limit signs. The public just seems to hear what they want to hear. I still have to go through the cabin telling people to do this and that despite making clearly worded repetitive annoucements. I wish I had more A.net users on my flights. The again we don't have PTV's on most planes so it might be a disaster. (Just kidding)

DC10GUY

Tue Nov 04, 2003 11:55 am

Why is it that people who fly a lot become so critical of other people flying ??? Like the topic of the seat in front of you reclining. WTF ??? If you have to piss on approach its going to be a long time before you get out of the airplane. Mind your own biz and everything will be o.k. nuff said ??? Bye Bye Now.
Next time try the old "dirty Sanchez" She'll love it !!!

fly727

Tue Nov 04, 2003 11:55 am

Some international arrival terminals (most do but people do not know) do not have a toilet before immigration and customs control., so practically the ac lav is their last chance in a long time.

RM  Smile
There are no stupid questions... just stupid people!

AA7771stClass

Tue Nov 04, 2003 12:06 pm

True we don't live in a utopia and I'm not asking for a police state--I just don't understand why the FAA is so adament about the smoking in the lav and not about this one... Besides, at least people get caught for speeding--not everyone but some...

DC10GUY

Tue Nov 04, 2003 12:10 pm

Smoking in the a lav. is a whole different thing than using the lav at the last minute.
Next time try the old "dirty Sanchez" She'll love it !!!

Airbus_A340

Tue Nov 04, 2003 12:12 pm

On most of my flights, long hauls, people go to the bathroom when this happens so that they look more presentable (comb hair, brush teeth, etc)when they get off the plane to greet loved ones.

Midway2AirTran

Tue Nov 04, 2003 12:25 pm

They must say farewell to the cool looking mini-toilet!  Smile/happy/getting dizzy
"Life is short, but your delay in ATL is not."

AIR757200

Tue Nov 04, 2003 1:34 pm

Iwish I had more A.net users on my flights. The again we don't have PTV's on most planes so it might be a disaster. (Just kidding)

Hopefully you don't have a boring livery, an old fleet, lack of legroom, and whatever else is discussed.  Big grin

CanadianNorth

Tue Nov 04, 2003 1:58 pm

Again its the as soon as we stop everyone grab there stuff and hang there bending their necks outa shape while they wait for the door to open that i dont get...

The worst part is then they (whoever is there to meet us) stand there and wonder why i am always like the last one off... Doesnt it make sense to just sit back and wait for the crowd to start dying down before you get up and go digging for yer stuff? its alot easier once there is room to move in them there isles. Not as if theres a race with a million dollar prize to be won.

But, when im stuck wit an 11 minute connection at the other end of the airport (of course the shorter the connection the longer the walk, always will be), i admit, even i grab my stuff and join the herd for the door.

As for the can, i clear the security nice and early, take a leak, then go get ready to board. Then, on shorter flts ill go again after landing if theres time, if no time and/or longer flt, then ill go sometime during the flt when there aint a lineup. But, as far as the can is concerned ill take a landpass when i can, I like to have some sorta elbow room while im taking a leak, them airliner lavs are just too damn small for me.

CanadianNorth
HS-748, like a 747 but better!

Skydrol

Tue Nov 04, 2003 2:37 pm

This seems to be a consistent occurrance on almost every flight I have been on. Landings must scare the shit out of more pax than we think.

On a related topic, it would be greatly appreciated if certain pax could avoid taking crossword puzzles, newspapers or magazines into the lav with them forcing the rest of us to wait half an hour for a free lav. I have witnessed this more times than it should happen, and even once a young girl seriously soiled herself and the aisle because she had to wait too long. People should be more considerate!
∙ ---{--« ∙ ----{--« ∙ --{-« ∙ ---{--« ∙ --{--« ∙ --{-« ∙ ----{--« ∙

a340pilot

Tue Nov 04, 2003 2:56 pm

And then there is me............I've flown hundreds of times and to this day for some reason have never seen the inside of an airplane bathroom,and there is no reason for it (superstition or other wise) I suppose the reason is that I think its the same as a greyhound bus and smells terrible! But I guess ill never know  Big grin

Best regards,
a340pilot
Go! Canucks Go!

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos