Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

andersjt
Topic Author

Song Store In SoHo

Wed Nov 05, 2003 9:24 am

From the November 10, 2003 issue of Fortune:

flybuy - First it banished first class and free meals. Then it hired Kate Spade to clothe its employees. Now Song, Delta's low-cost carrier that took to the skies last April, is venturing-temporarily-into even stranger territory. For nine weeks starting in November, it will operate a store in Manhattan's SoHo. Shoppers will be able to buy travel gear like neck pillows; access Song's in-flight entertainment (X Box games, MP3 players, video on demand); even sample Song's in-flight menu (which as this reporter learned, isn't bad). Oh, yes, they can also book one of Song's 144 daily nonstop flights.
Why would an airline want to run a store? And why would anyone want to go there to eat airline food? Seems this is a way for Song, which aspires to be a hipper JetBlue, to call attention to itself. Says Stacy Geagan, Song's director of corporate communications: "Without 'airline' in the company name, it's difficult to make consumers aware of who we are."
While struggling Delta hasn't broken out financial results for Song, analyst Gary Chase at Lehman Brothers say it is off to a "reasonable start for a new subsidiary." Who knows whether the store will succeed, but one thing's for sure: This is one industry where following conventional wisdom will get you nowhere fast. -Christopher Tkaczyk

Has anyone seen or know of this store? Is this experiment a way to use closed ticket office space they are still paying the rent on?

I really enjoyed the last sentence. It says a lot. There are those on this site who just cannot understand why Delta and United want to run LCO's within the airline. It is all about marketing, you have to try anything to fill seats. Yes, Delta tried the airline within an airline concept before; however, marketing for this operation is different, and may be the answer to filling now empty seats. When booking their next vacation, people who have "heard of" the "novelty" of Song and Starfish may decide its worth a try. Like any new product, get enough people to hear about it, they will try it, and more often than not, a company can at least recover its costs for launching the product.

[Edited 2003-11-05 01:24:51]
Oh how I long for the day when the skies were truly Friendly!

sushka

RE: Song Store In SoHo

Wed Nov 05, 2003 9:30 am

even sample Song's in-flight menu (which as this reporter learned, isn't bad).

The inflight menu, maybe it was bad but at least it was expensive!
Pershoyu Spravoyu Litaki!

luv2fly

Wed Nov 05, 2003 9:32 am

I believe they are trying to hard, like the unpopular kid in school trying so hard for the other kids to like them......
You can cut the irony with a knife

STT757

Wed Nov 05, 2003 11:44 am

"Has anyone seen or know of this store? Is this experiment a way to use closed ticket office space they are still paying the rent on? "

No airline has ever had a ticket office in Soho, Soho is hip, trendy , young, rich and has the best shopping in Manhattan for wealthy young people.

However it is not a business district, it only has a couple hotels and no offices.

Airline ticket offices are concentrated in Mid-town especially the Upper-East side, and Lower Manhattan. (the largest consolidated airline ticket location was World Trade Center Tower One's Lobby).

Airline ticket offices are near the "Offices", not in warehouse districts turned hip neighborhoods (IE. Tri-Beca, SoHo, NoHo, Chelsea).

SoHo is my favorite Manhattan neighborhood, My girlfriend and I often go shopping there on the weekends. Tons of celebs live there, and you can see them walking along Broadway or off Broadway on Prince or Spring Street.

I'll definetly be on the look out, I might be there this week.
Eastern Air lines flt # 701, EWR-MCO Boeing 757

STT757

Wed Nov 05, 2003 11:50 am

I went to flySong.com but I could not find an address for the place, however I do remember on my last two visits a huge Song banner on a Building on the corner of Broadway and Houston. I'll start looking around there..

Alitalia744

Thu Nov 06, 2003 12:13 am

Gang-

The store is on Prince Street, near J-Crew/Club Monaco.

-G
Some see lines, others see between the lines.

TWFirst

Fri Nov 07, 2003 1:10 am

The name of the store is "Song in the City". The address is 98 Prince Street, between Mercer and Greene. You can take the N or R subways to Prince Street; 6 to Spring Street; or V/F or S to Broadway-Lafayette. It opens tomorrow, November 7, and will close at the end of December (this is a temporary thing). The hours are Thurs.-Sat. from 10am - 8pm, and Sundays 10-7. It's closed Mon-Wed.

Song conducted a promotional event for the store today at the major travel and financial services company I currently work for in downtown Manhattan.

Some highlights of what will be happening at the store over the next few weeks:

- Weekly Song ticket giveaways
- Disneyworld vacation giveaways
- Gourmet, organic food
- Free entertainment
- Complimentary Dasani and Coke beverages
- Kate Spade & Flight 001 (travel store on Greenwich here in Manhattan) shopping

Some interesting verbiage from Song's brochure:

What is Song?
Short answer: a new way to fly.
Long answer: a new air service designed to give you a truly unique experience in air travel. Founded by optimists and built by believers, Song flies to the places you want to go, with a single goal in mind: to give style, service and choice back to people who fly.

Song in the City
Is it a store? Is it a gallery? Is it both? At Song in the City, you'll be able to get a taste of all of the things that wait for you at 30,000 feet.
- Surf 24 in-flight TV channels
- Sip complimentary Dasani, Coke and Sprite
- Taste organic dishes by Chef Michel Nischan
- Purchase fashionable travel accessories by Kate Spade and Flight 001
- Get your game on with Xbox
- Grab a free Food & Wine or Travel & Leisure for yoru reading enjoyment
- Unwind with a free massage
- Take off iwth you online travel companion

It is a lot to take in, we know. That's why we've landed in SoHo - so you can get to know us.

Calendar:
Nov. 7 - 9 "Orlando Week"... enter to win Disneyworld vacation for 8 (round trip on Song)
Nov. 13 - 16 "Ft. Lauderdale Week" (win tickets to FLL)
Nov. 20 - 23 "Orlando Week" (etc.)
Nov. 28 - 30 "Palm Beach Week"
Dec. 4 - 7 "Tampa Week"
Dec. 11 - 14 "Las Vegas Week"
Dec. 18 - 21 "San Juan Week"

Very interesting (and expensive) marketing/promotional tactic. My take: they're trying to position the Song brand as "cheap chic", a la Target. JetBlue was first to market with the concept, Delta is taking it further.

Bottom line: if you guys want to see this place, you don't have much time.
An unexamined life isn't worth living.

JBLUA320

Fri Nov 07, 2003 1:28 am

Ill be there first week in December  Smile

triscl

Fri Nov 07, 2003 1:31 am

I think I'll run down and check it out today or tomorrow just before taking my first song flight on Saturday.

I love the part about "Is it a store? Is it a gallery?"

A lot of the stores in SoHo and the Lower East Side are confusing like that. There's like two pairs of shoes for sale and you're not quite sure whether you've stumbled into a boutique or an art installation.

In my opinion, Best Ad campaigns in the city are jetBlue ("Flight stimulator...hahaha) and Continental ("Dim Sum to Hong Kong. Nonstop.", etc.)

prosa

Fri Nov 07, 2003 1:41 am

I work just a few minutes' walk from the Song store. Maybe I'll mosey on over at lunch hour.
"Let me think about it" = the coward's way of saying "no"

SunValley

Fri Nov 07, 2003 1:49 am

This is an unconventional means of marketing, and I applaud them for it.
Kind of like when JetBlue hit LongBeach and bought those VW bugs, had them painted in blue checkerboards, and had them driving up and down the coastal beach parking lots, with girls in blue swimtsuits handing out blue chips and blue M & M's.

(Marketing 204-University of Arizona-- & we all remember the Oscar Myer Hot dog Truck)

jcs17

Fri Nov 07, 2003 2:04 am

How tacky and pointless is this?

"Song in the City
Is it a store? Is it a gallery? Is it both? At Song in the City, you'll be able to get a taste of all of the things that wait for you at 30,000 feet.
- Surf 24 in-flight TV channels
- Sip complimentary Dasani, Coke and Sprite
- Taste organic dishes by Chef Michel Nischan
- Purchase fashionable travel accessories by Kate Spade and Flight 001
- Get your game on with Xbox
- Grab a free Food & Wine or Travel & Leisure for yoru reading enjoyment
- Unwind with a free massage
- Take off iwth you online travel companion"

Are you kidding me? Delta isn't doing too well right now, and they open this up? I'd give it a year...or at least until Song goes under. Luvs2fly hit it right on the head, its like the unpopular kid trying too hard to fit in. Its one thing for B6 to buy a few bugs and try to market themselves that way, but a store? C'mon! I wonder how many (or actually how few) times Delta is actually mentioned in the store? If I had to venture a guess, I'd say none. Not only do I think this will be terribly unsuccessful, but I have a feeling the yups have already made up their mind with jetBlue. It's a decent marketing idea, but it will lose money and most likely not generate any kind of revenue.
America's chickens are coming home to rooooost!

TWFirst

RE: JCS17

Fri Nov 07, 2003 2:11 am

>>I'd give it a year...or at least until Song goes under.<<

As mentioned above, this is a temporary promotion, designed to build the brand and brand awareness... akin to a glorified trade show booth. It runs through the end of December.
An unexamined life isn't worth living.

lymanm

Fri Nov 07, 2003 2:39 am

"Its one thing for B6 to buy a few bugs and try to market themselves that way, but a store? C'mon!"

Yah, because scantily clad women throwing candy is SO much classier, and not cliché at all. Take off your B6 tinted glasses and be objective.
buhh bye

luv2fly

Fri Nov 07, 2003 2:47 am

I think the difference between B6 and Song is the simple fact that B6 has the money to promote themselves, tho really B6 has such a strong presence that they can do off beat venues like they do. Song and or Delta really does not have any money to spare right now. Look at what they lost 3rd quarter.
You can cut the irony with a knife

SunValley

Fri Nov 07, 2003 4:41 am

Whether you agree or disagree, it is a marketing scheme & it may or may not work. My feeling is it will work just as well as the bugs B6 drove, wrecked, used & misused, got fined etc etc and the publicity that surrounded them for it. By the way, the skatebaorder they ran over what ever happened to him, did his legs get amputated or what? Taht was big news (adversely for B6 for quite sometime)

jcs17

Fri Nov 07, 2003 4:56 am

After all that, I'm sure I will stop by the Song store in a couple of weeks when I'm in the city again. At least it will be a good laugh.
America's chickens are coming home to rooooost!

RiverVisualNYC

Fri Nov 07, 2003 5:07 am

Nice that Delta, by pushing Song as hip and trendy, continues to "dis" (as we trendy New Yorkers say) their core brand. I'd like to know how much the marketing geniuses were paid to think all this up, especially since it might have been better spent improving Delta's services. I also wonder how Delta's non-Song employees feel about all this. I imagine they are trying to extend the Song brand beyond the airline, in the way Easyjet in UK has got Easy Rentacar, Easy Everything (internet cafe), etc. But if you want to sell plane tickets to New Yorkers, give us what we and every other consumer wants, low fares and a comfortable, reliable flight, not marketing gimmicks.

Fri Nov 07, 2003 5:10 am

Let Song have there store. We at JetBlue are doing quite well by NOT WAISTING OUT MONEY ON A STORE.

Oh yeah, that last line in bold was important too. First rule in spending.......

Make sure your spending your money wisely. I can understand buying Airline merchandise on the airlines website, but throwing money to operate a temporary store? In expensive Manhattan? I do believe I have seen it all now.

RiverVisualNYC

Fri Nov 07, 2003 5:16 am

re Canyon's post, I think NYers will continue to support jetBlue. We like the hometown team, we like gimmick-free, straightforward value and I am still amazed that in the post-Pan Am era, there is a real airline based right here in New York City!!! Let Atlantans fly the Green Goblin, Forest Hills is in da house!  Smile

JAFA

Fri Nov 07, 2003 5:20 am

I think its a clever idea worth a shot! In the grand scheme of things the money they will spend on this promotion is not very much. I think it will bring Song some new business.

SunValley

Fri Nov 07, 2003 5:44 am

Jafa, I too agree with you. But,
Maybe B6 could go back to ATL with their VW bugs and girls in blue swimsuits and throw out blue M & M's to the Atlantans. May they will try it in BOS?

Fri Nov 07, 2003 5:54 am

We open BOS on Jan. 7th 2004. Girls in blue swimsuits would need to be replaced with girls in blue snowsuits.  Laugh out loud

STT757

Fri Nov 07, 2003 6:42 am

http://www.nytimes.com/2003/11/06/garden/06SONG.html

"Designing an Identity to Make a Brand Fly
By MOTOKO RICH

Published: November 6, 2003

ALL-LEATHER seats. Extra legroom. Live satellite television at your seat. Minimalist, whimsical flourishes on the sides of the planes, and oh yeah, low fares.

If you are thinking that sounds like JetBlue, the three-year-old upstart airline, who could blame you? But Song, the new low-fare service Delta Air Lines rolled out in April, is also trying to capture a youthful market by selling style as much as service.

Officials at Song insist, of course, that their airline is not simply a JetBlue knockoff. They have added an extra inch of legroom and will offer amenities like video games, MP3 playlists and pay-per-view movies. In an effort at one-upmanship, they will sell entrees like "rock and roll veggie sushi" and "shaved turkey on focaccia," for about $8.

So, aside from the traditional billboards and print ads, how to communicate the message? Taking a page from Prada and Apple Computer, the airline is opening a store in SoHo for six weeks starting tomorrow.

Featuring sleek electronics and installation art, Song, whose biggest market is New York, with 35 daily flights, is clearly courting what they hope will be a glamorous following. "We want people to say, `An airline is doing that? I thought it was a clothing store' or `I thought it was a gallery,' " said Stacy Geagan, Song's communications director.

The airline is giving an invitation-only party at the store tonight, where, publicists promised, Grace Jones would serve as D.J. and Moby, Drew Barrymore and her boyfriend, Fabrizio Moretti of the Strokes, would drop by.

Those not lucky enough to make it tonight can stop in Thursdays through Sundays (98 Prince Street, between Mercer and Greene; 646-613-0203). The store will display airline seats, X-Box game systems, a Microsoft 2004 flight simulator and airplane windows stocked with retail items from Kate Spade (who is designing uniforms for the flight attendants) and Flight 001, a boutique travel store. Customers can also make flight reservations at the store.

Michael Rock, a partner at 2x4, a firm that helped design the Prada store in SoHo, said Song was just following the current trend of using retail space to sell an image. "You don't really change the function of the thing itself," Mr. Rock said, "but you change the perception of the function of the thing and you differentiate the surface of it."

He added that by placing the store within a block of the Prada and Apple stores, the airline is "equating the value of Song with these other things nearby and the kind of people you expect to find in SoHo."

The store has a cafe that offers a sampling of the nouveau airline food, created by Michel Nischan, a consultant who is the author of "Taste Pure and Simple: Irresistible Recipes for Good Food and Good Health."

Alex Calderwood, a creative director at Neverstop, which designed the store, said, "You are serving airline food in SoHo. That communicates a sense of confidence and spirit."

Julie Lasky, the editor in chief of I.D. magazine, said that Song was trying to evoke a range of emotions, rather than simply selling its product. "It's taking people out of the notion of an airplane and linking them to a sense of adventure, comfort and things that have become a general experience," she said. Design features like the Kate Spade uniforms, she said, would help Song to establish itself as "simple and minimal and modern."

In an attempt to associate itself with the SoHo art scene, the airline commissioned Howard Goldkrand, an electronic-media artist, to produce streaming video of skies running continuously past a panel that looks like the side of a plane.

And in what is perhaps a rather odd choice for an airline, the store's designers had Ed Tannenbaum, an artist, develop an interactive display in which visitors see their likenesses projected onto a stack of video screens with watery imagery. If you wave your arm, for example, the screens ripple and bubble.

While that might bring to mind emergency water landings, Mr. Calderwood said it is meant to represent something more metaphorical. "It reflects the purity of flying," he said.

Fundamentally, the store is about using stylish design and entertainment to introduce the airline to people who might not have heard of it.

"You don't have to know about Song, you can happen upon Song," Ms. Geagan said.

Officials at JetBlue said they question whether people would go out of their way to investigate a new brand. With Apple's store, for example, "people already have a fondness for Apple," said Gareth Edmondson-Jones, a spokesman for JetBlue. "It was such an icon of its time. I don't know that Song is a) known enough or b) desirable enough to attract people. I think it's just putting the cart before the horse."

JetBlue's success may be part of the reason Song is so eager to copy the airline. JetBlue recently reported third-quarter earnings that were double the year-earlier period's.

Masamichi Udagawa, a principal of Antenna Design, a Manhattan-based firm that created check-in kiosks for JetBlue, said he preferred JetBlue's recent plan to build a modern terminal behind the historic Eero Saarinen Trans World Airlines terminal at Kennedy Airport, in which it will install electronic kiosks. He said the move showed JetBlue "merging the brand with that established image of glorious air travel of the past," which would add more heft to JetBlue's design consciousness than would a store in SoHo.

The Song store, Mr. Udagawa said, is unlikely to conceal the fact that the airline is less original than it might like people to think. "In general, it's great that companies are more design-conscious," he said. "But copying other people's design is an absolute no-no," he said.

"I know it's a competitive business," he added, "but the strength of design is to come up with an original idea, not just copy someone else's good idea."

BR715-A1-30

Fri Nov 07, 2003 7:12 am

I'm Impressed... I wish I could see it, but I will not get to. Are they going to sell Merchandise such as Lunchboxes, ETC...?
Puhdiddle

IflyORL

Fri Nov 07, 2003 7:14 am

I just got done reading all of the posts above. Why is it that people are taking sides? We aren't talking about your favorite team winning the World Series. It's an airline and as important as aviation is to all of us here it seems REALLY dumb to be arguing about who is better. If I'm not mistaking the competition between the two companies can only help us all (other than those companies employees of course). I'm not really sure what the big deal is. Song opened a store good for them. They are working a new aspect of the business and if it works great, we get to pay less in the end. I just think its dumb to fight about who's better. Who Cares! They are the reason we all get to fly no matter which we prefer. Seems somewhat childish to turn this into a my airline is better than yours thread.

RiverVisualNYC

Fri Nov 07, 2003 7:27 am

It's not a "my airline is better than yours thread," but if you're going to have an objective discussion about the industry, some people are going to like some things better than others. Alot of the issues involved here effect not only passengers (aka consumers) and airline employees, but airline stockholders as well. We all want to see the industry as a whole recover from what is obviously a terrible last couple of years, but if someone has an articulate observation about what makes one company's aircraft, marketing, service, strategic plan, etc better or worse than another, they ought to be heard. I would be surprised if there aren't a good number of airline executives in decisionmaking positions who read a.net forums, and they should hear what people think. People who are just interested in "paying less in the end" should visit orbitz.com or priceline.com, not airliners.net!

IflyORL

Fri Nov 07, 2003 7:38 am

Paying less means flying more. However as a whole I have noticed that most of the people who voice these strong opinions about "Their Airline" on A. net are the ones who are in the 16-20 age group. This bothers me. I'm 22 and I know that there are things in the industry that I don't know yet and I can assume that these kids don't really know what they are talking about either. I just think that unless you have a sound reason for posting what you like about a specific airline then don't post. I'm very sure that a 17 year old really doesn't know all the facts. That is exacty why I dont post unless I have first hand knowledge about the topic. I Just think it's silly to turn this into a game. It is legitament business competition and I mentioned cheap flights because as a byproduct of that we all save money. Anyway I think this competition is great for the industry.

richierich

Fri Nov 07, 2003 8:19 am

Personally, I like JetBlue a lot and they have worked very hard to build a chic image in a tough town.
Here comes Song, which anybody in the biz knows is really Delta with new clothes on, and they are shamelessly trying to copy JetBlue's formula for success. I give them credit.. opening a shop in SoHo is just the sort of thing anyone could see Neeleman doing at JetBlue. Whether it will work or not remains to be seen but I have noticed that the branding of an airline is almost as important as the product itself. It certainly won't hurt as far as getting the Song name out there to a yawning public, but it costing them a pretty penny for sure.
None shall pass!!!!

RiverVisualNYC

Fri Nov 07, 2003 8:30 am

Neeleman is extremely cost-conscious so I am sure if B6 ever considered it, he took one look at the Manhattan rents and nixed the idea of any sort of "store." Incidentally, for those who thing the Song store idea is particularly clever or original, may I point out that until the mid to late 90s almost every major international airline had a retail ticket office In Manhattan, usually on 5th Avenue. Because they were amidst the poshest of boutiques and department stores in a high profile area, they often displayed Business Class seats or other items representative of the more high-end onboard services. Almost all of these ticket offices were shut down in the late 90s as the airlines tried to save money and encourage online booking. I found out the hard way when I went to the BA ticket office on 5th to make a change to a ticket only to see a sign in the window encouraging me to visit their website. FYI there is still a BA Travel Shop in London, off Piccadilly, which is a multilevel travel boutique selling books, luggage, travel accessories and BA memorabilia in addition to having a ticket office. I imagine that the merchandise sales help keep the ticket office cost efficient. Anyway, Song is not that original.

DLMHT

Fri Nov 07, 2003 9:22 am

"Officials at JetBlue said they question whether people would go out of their way to investigate a new brand. With Apple's store, for example, "people already have a fondness for Apple," said Gareth Edmondson-Jones, a spokesman for JetBlue. "It was such an icon of its time. I don't know that Song is a) known enough or b) desirable enough to attract people. I think it's just putting the cart before the horse.""

Now, this seems to me to be a bit contradictive. Wasn't the whole "Bluw VW" thing just a gimmick to get people to say "Hey, lets go out and try this jetBlue and see what it's all about" It certainly was a big deal when jetBlue came out.

Anyhow, as a DL employee, I'd say "hats off" to Leo and his bunch for thinking outside of the box to come up with new ideas to attract customers to Song. I know, I know; I'm just a bit biased, but I think any airline can come up with frequent flyer promotions, etc. to attract passengers----it takes a bit of courage to step out and do something different.

However, no doubt that the money spent on this promotion could have gone somewhere else (bringing back the furloughed employees perhaps?), but I'm going to give this thing some more time before I go and criticize it. It's certainly giving Song the public exposure that they were looking for, so it seems to be a success already.

DLMHT

STT757

Sun Nov 09, 2003 7:57 am

Well I made it to "Song in the City" today, they have those in-flight service carts at a couple of corners in SoHo along Broadway and one other I think on Mercer Street and Broome passing out free Dasani water and directing people (with those glow sticks airline ground crews use) towards the main store on Prince Street near the corner with Mercer.

The store was a BLAST!!!

They are giving away free coffee (which comes in handy with these cold windy days), free Dasani water and free sodas in those small glass collectible bottles.

I went to the service bar and bought some lunch from the "Song" menu, I had the Chicker Cesar wrap which was ok but I should have got the salads which looked delicious like those new McDonalds Premium Salads.

I sat down to eat my wrap in one of the Song Airline seats, they has about three rows of Song's Airline seats with the green, Purple etc..

The front row has a huge 80" flat screen plasma tv in front which is set up with Microsofts Flight Simulator game, there is one controller on the front row for folks who want to sit down and play. I sat in the third row, the seats were leather and very comfy. They also had the In flight Entertainment (personal video screens) going in the seats, I was playing around with it watching the travel channel etc..

It's also a store where they sell lots of cool Song Merchandise, which is not cheap stuff rather some nice bags, wallets etc..

Im going back to pick up one of the model 757s Smile

In the back they have some cool leather couches in front of more plasma tvs where folks can play X-Box, today they were having X-box tournements.

On the other side of the store are long bench areas next to the wall which is set up to resemble the cabin wall of Song's 757s, at every window of the mock up 757 wall there are video images to make it look like your flying while sitting on the couch.

Overall it was a very cool experience, the place was PACKED with tourists and locals getting into the Song experience.

I have to say I was impressed, more than I thought I would.

I highly recomend a visit to anyone's who interested and in the area, it also helps that they are in super trendy Soho with plenty of beautiful people walking around.

One thing , when I was there they were having trouble with a cash register so credit cards only when I was there.

The employees have these black concert t-shirts with cities Song serves listed on the back like rock tour t-shirts, I want to get one but I did not see any for sale.

triscl

Sun Nov 09, 2003 8:03 am

STT757-

I am going to try to make it soon. My roommate called me from the store last night. She and some friends stumbled in while walking around SoHo to find the opening party for the general public. Apparently the president (what's his name?) was playing with his band--perhaps the reason for the rock concert stlye t-shirts.

She was like, "you have to come down here right away!" Unfortunately I couldn't, but I'm going soon! Ironically I was supposed to fly them to MCO today but had to cancel, but for $25 I have a credit for the cost of the ticket on Song _OR_ Delta! Not a bad deal for me.

She brought the calendar home and it seems the band (The Flourishes I think it's called) will be playing every Friday night!

STT757

Sun Nov 09, 2003 8:22 am

I was there this afternoon, the place was PACKED with tourists and shoppers.

I would go at night, they are open Thurs-Saturday 10am-8PM. Sunday 10am-7PM.

98 Prince street, between Mercer and Greene.

It's a great experience, Im going to bring my girlfriend there.

Every Friday they are going to give away free Leows thearter gift certificates.

usairways85

Sun Nov 09, 2003 8:48 am

STT757: Do you know what scale the model airplanes were in? I'd love to get one myself.

Paddy

Sun Nov 09, 2003 8:54 am

So this is how the majors are responding to B6 eh? I'm scared to see what Ted has up his sleeve...

Deltaflot

Sun Nov 09, 2003 1:09 pm

Hey Guys....wrote this up before rechecking this thread...I'll post anyway...

The models are in 1/150 squale and are made by Sky Marks....

Hey everyone,

Got bored today and decided to take a drive into New York to see what “Song in the City” had to offer. It was great fun! This may be a one off event but it wasn’t just thrown together overnight. Its quite obvious lots of planning went into opening an ‘exhibition’ like this. Here’s a rundown on what was on offer:

The place housing “Song in the City” is really large so crowds aren’t an issue and there weren’t many people there to begin with. Lots of staff wearing black Song shirts though. I’d say there were two staff members for every customer. I don’t believe they were employed by Song though. They were all young and cheerful and reminded me of the struggling unemployed actors that are commonplace among the trendy areas of NYC. They would’ve all made great FA’s though. Anyway, once you walk in, there is a desk where they were giving out Song headsets which are quite classy. Also, there is a really nice brochure that Song had made up detailing events for the upcoming two months that the store would be open. There is something for everyday. The brochure is meant to be an oversized ticket jacket and the info sheet is the boarding pass. On the right side of the store there is a bar with free coffee and tea with hot chocolate and all the food items Song sells onboard there flights on offer as well…weird seeing Sushi being sold on flights. Past the snack bar there are items from the New York shop ‘Flight 001’. Nice items but overpriced. Then there are song items for sale…fleece blankets, model aircraft, and neck pillows. Then there is a display of Kate Spade items for sale…travel wallets and the like. Also on display (not for sale) was the flight attendant bag that the Song FA’s will be getting with their new uniforms. Its just a classy black bag that looks like its from the Pan Am area of travel bags. In the back of the store, there was an X Box competition (X Box will be on all Song flights soon). I tried my hand at a racing game. You had to beat the course in 3 minutes 15 seconds. I tried 4 times and the closest I got was 3 minutes 22 seconds. They gave me a free t-shirt anyway. It has the Song logo on the front and then an orange Song logo on the back. Nice shirt. Then walking circular around the exhibition there is a wall of actual Song PTV’s that were all tuned to the channels that will be available on Song flights. Continuing counterclockwise around there store, on the left side there is a wall of computers for surfing the web since Song is heavily dependent on internet bookings. There were free Disney World vacation planners there since this week is Orlando giveaway week at “Song in the City.” Then there were bottles of Dasani water for anyone to grab and free issues of Travel Holiday and Good Housekeeping. In the middle of the store there was a plasma tv set up and two rows of actual Song seats for people to sit in to try out the pitch (excellent) and width. They had flight sim 2004 playing on the plasma tv to get people into the flying mood.

So that was the Song exhibition. A superb idea and a trip well worth it. Only thing is that I’m not sure how well the location is…hmm Soho. I think they would’ve been better off looking for a more touristy area in midtown likes Times Square or off of 5th Avenue near NBC studios at 30 Rock Plaza. That would’ve really got the word out on Song. Space is at a premium in the city though. Anyway, hope this info is useful to anyone who is contemplating a visit….well worth it!

Chris

STT757

Sun Nov 09, 2003 3:01 pm

When I was there the place was PACKED, you must have been there early. I was there around 2PM, lots of locals and tourists.

Deltaflot

Mon Nov 10, 2003 2:16 am

I was there around 5 PM so people were heading out to eat thus accounting for the small amount of visitors. The hot drinks were definitely a nice way to counter the cold blast that hit the city yesterday...brrr....

STT757

Mon Nov 10, 2003 3:37 am

I'll second that, Brrrr....

UN_B732

Wed Nov 12, 2003 6:16 am

Up in Vermont, but since I'm in the northeast, I concur...brrr....
-UN
What now?

RiverVisualNYC

Wed Nov 12, 2003 7:52 am

What is Song?
Short answer: an LCC
Long answer: Delta was losing market share on its important NY-Florida snowbird and vacation routes to JetBlue, Spirit, etc so it picked a trendy sounding name, painted some 757s in a nausea-inducing green, copied the most popular aspects of JetBlue's cabin service and opened a shop in Soho to promote the thing.

inflightmags

Wed Nov 12, 2003 8:15 am

IF this is a big promotion tactic...I wonder if their next stop (to open shop), sometime in the future, is LAX????
But where in the LA basin can they put such a shop up????

andersjt
Topic Author

Wed Nov 12, 2003 8:24 am

Inflightmags:

If they were to open a "Song in the City" store in Los Angeles, my guess would be they would do it in a place like "The Grove." High traffic, shops (Nordstrom, Borders, etc), movie theaters, restaurants. The other hip location might be the Sunset strip near the clubs, perhaps Sunset Plaza.

I think a "Song in the City" store in Los Angeles is a few years off though. New York is supposed to be a nine week trial, just to promote Song, not to have an airline expand into retail.

Oh how I long for the day when the skies were truly Friendly!

RiverVisualNYC

Wed Nov 12, 2003 8:31 am

For those of you who think Song in the City Store is so creative, may I remind you that almost every airline used to have a store? It was called the CTO, or City Ticket Office, and it used to often feature model airplanes, posters and material promoting the airlines' services and destinations, and often a couple of seats from the premium cabin to exhibit what passengers could expect onboard. However, most were shut down in the late '90s to save money when airlines went ticketless and moved to promote online booking. Some examples still exist however, most notably the BA Travelshop in London off Piccadilly, which is actually a travel boutique in addition to a ticket office.

STT757

Wed Nov 12, 2003 9:16 am

The Song in the City store is not a City Ticket Office, it's really a fun place that welcomes people to come in and hang out. I thought it was awesome, don't knock it untill you see it yourself.

"If they were to open a "Song in the City" store in Los Angeles"

3rd Street Promenade in Santa Monica.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos