Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

LastBaron
Topic Author

WN's FAs Getting Sloppy?

Thu Nov 13, 2003 11:48 am

Just off yet another mediocre WN flight from MHT to BWI. On both legs, flight attendants were dressed so sloppily, it was hard to tell I was aboard an airline company and not on some sort of a carnival ride. Is WN abandoning all attempts at presenting a professional appearance to the flying public? Is "casual (read: sloppy) Friday" now de rigeur at WN? Several flight attendants didn't even seem to have the sweat shirts and/or sweaters they used to use, but instead looked rumpled and dressed in ill-fitting clothes as if they had been at a kiddy sleep-over party or out camping... I know WN is trying to control costs, but FL, B6 and the other LCCs I enjoy flying with don;t seem to have descended to these depths, so I was wondering if anyone knew if there is some new "relaxed" attitude at WN re: professional dress among FAs? Their "free for all" boarding system is already bad enough, this just makes flying them all the more resistable...

atrude777

RE: WN's FAs Getting Sloppy?

Thu Nov 13, 2003 12:03 pm

When I flew them STL-MCO-STL I had the same F/A both times, and all they wore was kahaki shorts, a t-shirt (white) and a blue sweater over it. yes believe it or not they are Southwest's "uniform". lol

alex.
Good things come to those who wait, better things come to those who go AFTER it!

PBIflyguy

Thu Nov 13, 2003 12:19 pm

want to talk sloppy? Check out the ground staff at an NK counter.......

SWAFA30

Thu Nov 13, 2003 3:40 pm

Just off yet another mediocre WN flight from MHT to BWI. On both legs, flight attendants were dressed so sloppily, it was hard to tell I was aboard an airline company and not on some sort of a carnival ride. Is WN abandoning all attempts at presenting a professional appearance to the flying public? Is "casual (read: sloppy) Friday" now de rigeur at WN? Several flight attendants didn't even seem to have the sweat shirts and/or sweaters they used to use, but instead looked rumpled and dressed in ill-fitting clothes as if they had been at a kiddy sleep-over party or out camping... I know WN is trying to control costs, but FL, B6 and the other LCCs I enjoy flying with don;t seem to have descended to these depths, so I was wondering if anyone knew if there is some new "relaxed" attitude at WN re: professional dress among FAs? Their "free for all" boarding system is already bad enough, this just makes flying them all the more resistable...

The SWA Inflight Uniform as issued in training is as follows:

1 Red S/S Polo
1 Blue S/S Polo
1 WhiteS/S Polo
1 Blue Denim Button Down
1 White Poplin Button Down
1 Red L/S Polo
1 Navy Sweater Vest
3 Navy Pants or Shorts
3 Khaki Pants or Shorts
1 Blue Parka
1 Navy Windbreaker
1 Navy braided leather belt
1 Brown braided leather belt.

There are two optional sweaters and an optional blazer that must be purchased at the employees expense. This is the same uniform that Customer Service and Operations Agents wear. We have been wearing the same uniform since the mid 90s so what you are seeing is nothing new. On a given day SWAs 7000+ flight attendants operate close to 3,000 flights. As such the chances of happening on one of us having a "bad uniform day" are pretty good. Every effort is made to insure that we present a well groomed appearance but try as they might management cannot be everywhere at once. Fear not, our neatest and most dishevled stewards all complete the same training and are equally capable of saving your life if necessary.

ScottB

Thu Nov 13, 2003 4:07 pm

Swafa30-

Seems to me like someone is trolling. The worst thing he can say about the flight is that the flight attendants looked disheveled? I'd rather have a smile and a friendly attitude than a formal uniform. While I understand that Southwest wants its employees to look well-groomed, that's pretty low on my priorities for choosing an airline.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos