Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

flyingbronco05
Topic Author

Boeing Unveils 7E7 Dreamliner's Cabin

Tue Nov 18, 2003 2:49 am

Boeing Unveils 7E7 Dreamliner's Passenger-Focused Interior

"SEATTLE, Nov. 17 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- Boeing (NYSE: BA - News) today unveiled innovative architectural and technological features of its 7E7 Dreamliner's interior that will connect passengers as never before to the flying experience.

Passengers will be welcomed onto the 7E7 by sweeping arches, dynamic lighting, larger lavatories, more spacious luggage bins, and electronic window shades whose transparency passengers can change during the flight. The Dreamliner will offer wider seats and aisles than competing models in every class."

More at: http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/031117/sfm136_1.html
Never Trust Your Fuel Gauge

MCIB757

RE: Boeing Unveils 7E7 Dreamliner's Cabin

Tue Nov 18, 2003 2:55 am

Wow, sounds very nice. I would love those windows. I wish they had a image of the cabin, but im sure one will come soon.
I cant wait to see the 7E7 take flight.

Tom
"God bless catastrophe..."

Sinlock

Tue Nov 18, 2003 2:59 am

The windows -- at 19 inches (48 cm) tall and 11 inches (28 cm) wide will be the largest on any current commercial airplane

Thats bigger than the windows on the de Havilland Comet!

STT757

Tue Nov 18, 2003 3:03 am

I love the tinting window feature, which would allow passengers to dim the cabin while at the same time offering views.
Eastern Air lines flt # 701, EWR-MCO Boeing 757

ntspelich

Tue Nov 18, 2003 3:11 am

I remember seeing a show about Hugh Hefner, maybe an A&E Biography, and they had quite an extensive segment on his old DC-9-32, the Big Bunny, and how one of it's features, other than the in-flight disco, was that at the touch of a button, the windows could all go from transparent to any number of levels of tinting right down to totally blacked out.

Too bad something like this isn't available on NW's DC-10 fleet. Nothing like being in the middle section about 20 rows from the IFE and not being able to see it because people on both sides have their shades open. Ay least this way the FAs could tint the windows to a reasonable level to accommodate both passengers who want to watch the movie and those choosing to do other things.

NS

United 717 heavy, you're facing the wrong way. Any chance you can powerback to get off of my deice pad?

Leskova

Tue Nov 18, 2003 4:10 am

I wonder how much of that will be standard equipment, and how much will be "on-demand"... because at least some of it, to me, sounds like what Airbus was planning for the A380: big dreams that, in time, are replaced by the reality of airlines buying planes to fly passengers from A to B as efficiently as possible: anything that's an unnecessary extra doesn't stand a chance...

Although, from the description it really sounds nice...

P.S.: With "some of it, to me, sounds like what Airbus was planning for the A380" I am not speaking about specific features, but the general idea of having big plans for the interior design of the aircraft... just to clarify that...
Smile - it confuses people!

Aloha717200

Tue Nov 18, 2003 4:13 am

You guys should join the World Design Team. About a month or two ago they sent a newsletter to us with a link to a survey where we voted on what changes we'd like to see in the passenger cabin.

Sounds like they listened. Though the last survey had to do mostly with the lavatories. Expect to see some roomier lavs on the 7e7. Big grin

mymiles2go

Tue Nov 18, 2003 4:47 am

Photos here:

http://boeingmedia.com/images/one.cfm?image_id=8153&release=t

http://boeingmedia.com/images/one.cfm?image_id=8156&release=t

http://boeingmedia.com/images/one.cfm?image_id=8155&release=t

http://boeingmedia.com/images/one.cfm?image_id=8154&release=t

Fly-K

Tue Nov 18, 2003 4:55 am

Interesting window shape. The arched entry section is nice too.
Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been...

JBirdAV8r

Tue Nov 18, 2003 4:57 am

Actually Leskova, it sounds like Boeing's designs might just be a little more feasible than some of those put forth by Airbus. Airbus had some pretty risky designs like private rooms and shopping centers; Boeing sticks with an upgrade of traditional design.

All in all I think that the A380 and 7e7 will set the tone for future aircraft.
I got my head checked--by a jumbo jet

Leskova

Tue Nov 18, 2003 4:57 am

After seeing those pictures, I can really only repeat what I said earlier: how much of that will really be on the plane, when it's delivered to customers.

I like the big windows, although the shape makes them look a bit strange - and what are they going to put in that big arch between what looks like business and economy class? Full width curtains?

And, my final point of nagging - I wish they had finally designed an overhead bin which does not cause everything to tumble out when you open it, either during the flight or at your destination.

Aside from all that, I like the design.

Leskova

Tue Nov 18, 2003 4:59 am

Sorry, JBirdAV8r, your post appeared while I was writing mine... I agree that some of it is more realistic, but - as I've mentioned in my above reply, I doubt that the cabin, in the end, will really look like this...

Jaspike

Tue Nov 18, 2003 5:03 am

It'd be great if the 7E7 will look something like this.

The new large windows would let lots of natural light into the cabin, that'd be good Smile
The arch really gives the cabin some width and makes it feel more open, more like a large room than a cabin.

The entrance is great - comparing that entrance to the Tu-154 I was on the other week, the 7E7 looks loads better. On the Tu-154 I had to duck about a foot to get in the door, then I literally had to squeeze in to get to my seat. This entrance looks spacious and light, very nice Big thumbs up

Josh

planemaker

Tue Nov 18, 2003 5:06 am

"The windows -- at 19 inches (48 cm) tall and 11 inches (28 cm) wide will be the largest on any current commercial airplane"

Now I know why Boeing is using such a high percentage, by wieght, of composites on the 7E7 - they have to offset the heavy weight of the large windows... Wink/being sarcastic

Seriously, why would Boeing go for larger (heavier) windows when they watch for every ounce saving everywhere else??

Nationalism is an infantile disease. It is the measles of mankind. - A. Einstein

PJS800

Tue Nov 18, 2003 5:10 am

I think the big windows are a great idea and could be done, but I doubt it will be as spacious as they say it will be.

PJ

dw747400

Tue Nov 18, 2003 5:15 am

Regarding the windows...

The 7E7 will have an all composite fuselage, meaning that the effects of cabin presurization and metal fatigue will not be nearly as much of a factor. As you may recall, the the Comet had very large windows and these led to issues with metal fatigue around them. By using composites, these larger windows are feasible.
CFI--Certfied Freakin Idiot

planemaker

Tue Nov 18, 2003 5:17 am

Yes, obviously the windows could be done... but why? For novelty? To be different. That seems to be the only reason as the pax field of vision will be reduced the further you sit from the window. Is it worth the weight penalty?? I don't think so.
Nationalism is an infantile disease. It is the measles of mankind. - A. Einstein

timf

Tue Nov 18, 2003 5:22 am

What's with the seats they put in the mock-up? There's no way they could ever be real airline seats. It looks more like they took contemporary looking dining room chairs and put them in the mock-up. They lack any sort of safety devices, IFE or passenger control units. If they're trying to make a realistic looking mock-up, they should include realistic seats.

Also, where are the service areas? I can't imagine they would put all the gallies in the front and back of the planes and leave it all open in between. The cabin feels TOO open right now, and it needs to be broken up somehow.

planemaker

Tue Nov 18, 2003 5:24 am

Dw747400:

Yes, at the time of the Comet metal fatigue was not as well understood... but it was the square windows on the early Comets that were the key problem - the square corners created stress risers that led to cracking that led to etc, etc.

The question to be answered is why go with larger windows when it will increase your aircraft weight (and costs)?

A340600

Tue Nov 18, 2003 5:24 am

And just how much of this will actually be in the final product??? Big grin
Sam
Despite the name I am a Boeing man through and through!

Aloha717200

Tue Nov 18, 2003 6:33 am

This is a darn sight better that the previous interior image which showed the windows not being on level.

However, I hate the shape of the windows. I really do.

I much prefer the round shape they have on the 7e7 scale model, they're big and round, not tall and thin. How about making a 16X14 window instead? It'd retain the exact same window area, but be wider. Instead of just being able to see good views up and down, you'd have good horizon to horizon views as well. Come on Boeing, let's leave the Twinkie windows out of the design.

transswede

Tue Nov 18, 2003 6:40 am

Talk about a 60's/70's retro-jet. The arched cabin looks like a set from a 60's sci-fi movie...  Smile I doubt final cabins will look anything like this.

dairbus

Tue Nov 18, 2003 6:44 am

I think the designs are great but it can change significantly by the time the aircraft is finally built. Love those windows though! Does anyone else think it looks very similar to the Enterprise on Star Trek: The Next Generation?
"I love mankind. It's people I can't stand." - Charles Shultz

Tue Nov 18, 2003 6:47 am

If that's what they're after, that will be incredible.

desertjets

Tue Nov 18, 2003 6:47 am

Does look a little bit like the Star Trek:TNG design a bit. I like the idea of the more open cabin architecture, especially given that the 7e7 will be narrower than the 777. But I question the practicality of it, given the need for lavs and galleys and the like.

But I think it is important that a lot of these ideas get tried in the concept... at least a few will make it to production.
Stop drop and roll will not save you in hell. --- seen on a church marque in rural Virginia

Msh744

Tue Nov 18, 2003 6:51 am

The arched cabin looks like a set from a 60's sci-fi movie...

Yup, I agree. The first time I saw that pic of the whole cabin, I immediately thought "Star Trek", lol. The seats that they put in are pretty unrealistic, as it seems like they have no privacy at all, and as mentioned before, no safety belts, IFE, etc. As long as the windows are bigger, I'm happy.  Smile

-Msh744

srbmod

Tue Nov 18, 2003 6:56 am

These photos brought one airline to mind. Those interiors scream Virgin Atlantic.

Birdwatching

Tue Nov 18, 2003 7:34 am

"sweeping arches, wider aisles, larger lavatories, and dynamic lighting"

What? You can have all that on a standard aircraft, you don't have to come up with a new one!

Just bump out one seat per row on a 767, and bingo, there's your larger aisle!
Whoa, larger lavatories! Way to go, Boeing! What's next? Full-flat reclining seats for the pilots?
All the things you probably hate about travelling are warm reminders that I'm home

gigneil

Tue Nov 18, 2003 7:41 am

There is no way the plane will be this spacious in an airline config. Those business class aisles and spacing is enormous, but the seats are tiny.

N

prebennorholm

Tue Nov 18, 2003 7:45 am

Those pictures are not from a 200 seat 7E7 Dreamliner.

They are from a 50 seat 7E7 BBJ.

Nice plane though. Unfortunately we will never see it in reality. So if you haven't got those pictures already, save them now!!!

It seems to me that I have seen those pictures before. If memory serves me well, wasn't it in a magazine around 1965? And the plane type, I think it was the all new B-727-100?
Always keep your number of landings equal to your number of take-offs

lehpron

Tue Nov 18, 2003 7:48 am

Screw the weight issue, didn't the Comet explode due to a stress-pressurization issue with large windows?

With this totally radical window design, Boeing is effectivly killing SST's of the future because they cannot have big windows. Why not have a skylight with windows on the ceiling? Saves weight, money and stress issues without large windows on both sides.

I think they are trying to be unique, they have to traditionalize those windows!!
The meaning of life is curiosity; we were put on this planet to explore opportunities.

airways6max

Tue Nov 18, 2003 8:07 am

The larger windows and the tinting feature are nice. Basically the cabin looks like that of a 777, only with more curves and fewer straight lines.

planemaker

Tue Nov 18, 2003 8:16 am

Lehpron:

"didn't the Comet explode due to a stress-pressurization issue with large windows?"

FYI, it was not the large windows when the Comet was pressurized but, as posted in Reply # 19: ...it was the square windows on the early Comets that were the key problem - the square corners created stress risers that led to cracking that led to etc, etc.

"Why not have a skylight with windows on the ceiling? Saves weight, money and stress issues without large windows on both sides."

In simple terms, have you ever noticed that on a spar or rib, that the web has lightening holes usually only in the center. That is because that is the neutral axis where compression and tension forces are equal under a bending load. And that is why there are no skylights but lots of windows along the side of the aircraft.

LZ-TLT

RE: What With Thrust Reverse Prior To Touchdown.

Tue Nov 18, 2003 8:46 am

I wonder how anybody on this thread mistakes the Comet for having "large windows". Well (irony on) mistaking a four-engined get for a four-engined turboprop is just a minor glitch (irony off). Actually, it was the Vickers Viscount which has some really neat and large windows.

As for the Comet issue with airframe failure and windows - Planemaker's post is absolutely right.

Last but not least - 7E7, this cabin? NEVER!!! The airlines will fill it with the usual stuff anyway IMHO. They pay Boeing, they get what they want, period. As refreshing this artistic approach to cabin design may be, it will undoubtedly it will cause much upset and cursing at Boeing when some poor engineers have to alter the cabin design in a way it suits the order of Unamerican or Deltinental for having XYZ seats(and if some gimmicks are built-in in the design, this task will be a torture par excellence).

B2707SST

Tue Nov 18, 2003 8:49 am

I agree that the cabin architecture looks a little like a Star Trek set. The wider, more open entry areas are nice, but with all the curves, arches, bulkheads, etc., the cabin looks a little cluttered. I prefer the clean, elegant lines on the 777-style cabin:

767-400

7E7

I also don't like the windows - I thought "medicine caplets" when I saw them, but twinkies work as well. Rounder windows would be much nicer and allow better visibility, but perhaps there are horizontal spacing issues that prevent them from being wider.

This will probably not be representative of what is on the real aircraft, although I could see VS or EK trying something similar.

--B2707SST
Keynes is dead and we are living in his long run.

Tue Nov 18, 2003 8:53 am

Those pictures are not from a 200 seat 7E7 Dreamliner.

They are from a 50 seat 7E7 BBJ.

Nice plane though. Unfortunately we will never see it in reality. So if you haven't got those pictures already, save them now!!!

It seems to me that I have seen those pictures before. If memory serves me well, wasn't it in a magazine around 1965? And the plane type, I think it was the all new B-727-100?

You airbus types a little envious???? Pretty lame post buddy.

PIA777

Tue Nov 18, 2003 8:59 am

Is the cabin just like the 777's?
GO CUBS!!

nudelhirsch

Tue Nov 18, 2003 9:08 am

This is some awesome cabin.

I agree with Timf, the seats are way out of reality.

Wouldn't it be a market, to make 2-class 7e7, only first and biz, or first and one even above first, and put it on service on frequent routes, to support service with a 332 or a 342 - like for example a Lufthansa service, FRA-IAD, wouldn't it be an interesting market? Make it a real dreamliner? If flying would become a real exceptional experience again, wouldn't many people pay extra, like they did on Concorde (shure, speed...something slightly different, but still a special experience).
Shure, the 7e7 would be awesome on normal, "affordable" services, but creating this special thing?
Would there be a market for a class above first at all? Higher fares, no upgrades, no non-revs, only paying pax...?
Putana da Seatbeltz!

tzsfo

Tue Nov 18, 2003 9:09 am

who cares about the 7e7?!?! Did anybody see the photos of the modified 747??? (so it's only a model.....)

Smile
TZ

http://boeingmedia.com/images/one.cfm?image_id=7772&release=t
It takes nerves of steel to stay neurotic. — Herb Kelleher

desertjets

Tue Nov 18, 2003 9:11 am

After taking a good close look at the pics they look like very CGI to me. Either way I still like the arched entryway idea, even if it is closed in on both sides by bulkheads dividing F/C and Y classes.

But in REALITY airlines will probably want that space to install a galley, unless Boeing plans to put a large galley for coach at the back of the cabin.
Stop drop and roll will not save you in hell. --- seen on a church marque in rural Virginia

n102daman

Tue Nov 18, 2003 9:29 am

Boeing has been doing the same things that car manufacturers have been doing for years. Creating concepts and design ideas. We all know that some of these features will never be included on a real commercial aircraft. These are just nice ideas and they get improved upon. Look at the original picture of the 7e7 that was released earlier in the year. All it was was a 777 with longer wings and swept back winglets. Look at the concept aircraft now. Looks pretty cool I think. I was on a DL 777 earlier this year for the first time and couldn't believe my eyes. Haven't seen anything that big and spacious in a long time. Loved the new styling of the interior. Same airplane seats that we have seen for year but Business Elite had the really nice electronic seats nice for a 8 hr flight from ATL - LGW and back. I think that it was great that they incorporated a lot of that in the 767-400 as well. Really nice aircraft. It is nice to see that Boeing is coming up with some really cool ideas and concepts for their aircraft. I hope that when it comes out DL gets a few of em.

will be very exciting to see what they come up with next. Love the idea process and seeing this grow into a real live aircraft. Will be a great replacement for the 767. Will be exciting to fly on and look at.

Just my 2 cents worth

Fly widget Fly
"Service and Hospitality from the Heart." (C. E. Woolman, Delta airlines first CEO and founder.)

prebennorholm

Tue Nov 18, 2003 9:34 am

Apart from the larger windows, which are nice to look forward to...

Why do we have to wait until 2008? Why not install that interior on the next new 737NG tomorrow? Or at least the 2004 models of 747 and 777?

Go Boeing, go!!! Or you risk that Airbus copies your ideas before you get those seats off the ground.

(Or are the pictures in fact just "copies" of those insane pictures posted here on a.net two years ago of that insane "150 seat A-380 biz jet" when it was launched?)

To those who still believe this is going to be reality, and not just dreams, go and see the pre-launch cabin layout of the Boeing 367 Stratocruiser of 1946 vintage. Now THAT was something! (which also never materialized).
Always keep your number of landings equal to your number of take-offs

patroni

Tue Nov 18, 2003 9:40 am

Well, let's see what will really stand at the gate in a couple of year time... The interior looks, let's say "interesting" to me and indeed has some similarities to StarTrek et al.

About the window shades whose transparency can be changed by the passenger, I think that something like that was already built in the Dassault Breguet Mercure in the 1970s.. At least I have a Sales brochure of the Mercure (before the prototype was built) where they show this effect...

Cheers,

Tom

N754PR

Tue Nov 18, 2003 9:44 am

Can't say that looks nice, as others said Star Trek does come to mind.
Bush, your a sad, sad man.

7E7

Tue Nov 18, 2003 9:57 am

Ay Karamba...

Umm, attention passengers, we're going warp speed in 10, 9, 8, 7...

Sexy interiors, very reminiscent of shaggy 60's. Wouldn't be surprised if Austin Powers was a launch customer for 7E7  Big grin

AvObserver

Tue Nov 18, 2003 10:25 am

Ultimately, of course, the airlines will have the most say about how much if all this is incorporated into the final configuration; what they don't like won't be part of it, obviously. However, the 'Star Trek' look bothers me not a whit, it's different and refreshing. I don't believe the seats, at least those in the foreground in 1st/Business class but it's all a concept, not the end version. The big windows are a concern if they create a weight penalty but perhaps Boeing will use a lightweight acrylic or something lighter than standard aircraft panes to make it work. A brighter, airier cabin will register as a big plus with passengers and this looks like what they're going for. I feel the airlines will respond positively to a lot of this. Creating a universal 'comfort zone' is important, even in economy class and if the usual 'cattlecar' aura is dispelled there, this will be an airplane passengers will prefer. Looks very promising!  Big thumbs up

sprxflySWA

Tue Nov 18, 2003 10:28 am

Yeah, its going to have inflight casino,hair salon,jiffy lube,orange julius,mcdonald's express,etc. Oh wait,that is the A380. Just kidding,reality never comes close to artist renditions in these cases!
However,it sure reminds me of a shark on the outside.More so than a 757.

N312RC

Tue Nov 18, 2003 11:15 am

If im not mistaken, those dimming windows were a feature on early L1011's.. were they not?

Birdwatching

Tue Nov 18, 2003 11:30 am

SprxflySWA: Hahaha! A Jiffy Lube aboard an airplane! LMAO  Laugh out loud
All the things you probably hate about travelling are warm reminders that I'm home

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos