Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © John P. Stewart

View Large View Medium

Photo © John P. Stewart

View Large View Medium

Photo © John P. Stewart

Please take a look at the jetways in the background of these photos. They are all from MIA circa 1966. If you notice, the jetways are much shorter than what you would find today. How come you don't find these anymore? While I'm on the subject of jetways, when were the first jetways installed? Any prior to the advent of jets? Which US airport was the first to use them? And, what year?

MxCtrlr

RE: Mini-Me Jetways

Fri Nov 21, 2003 4:14 pm

The reason for the short jetways back then was there were only 2 or 3 types of jets that used them - the DC-8, B-707 and B-727. The jetways didn't have to move much to accomodate any of these three types. Now, with more and more different types and sizes of jets, the jetways have to be able to accomodate everything from a DC-9 to a B-747 - quite a size difference in where the bottom of the door is. For that reason, you couldn't use a short jetway on both (because one would be an alpine climb up, and the other would be a parachute drop down, or vice-versa).

Hope this answers at least part of your questions.

MxCtrlr  Smile/happy/getting dizzy
Freight Dogs Anonymous - O.O.T.S.K.  Smokin cool

kearnet

Fri Nov 21, 2003 6:00 pm

When I flew into MIA in, Oh Geez, I think it was '93 (It was when I was in 4rd Garde, during Spring break), I believe these short jetways were still in use, as I remember, coing off the plane, making a sharp right turn, and being shicked that I was alread int he terminal. This thread reminded me of the experience.

And I had come in on I a USAir DC-9? (It had a 2-3 configuration I do remember that), at the H terminal.

JGPH1A

Fri Nov 21, 2003 6:15 pm

LHR T1 for many years had that type of short jet way - I can remember if they've been replaced or not - on the old domestic pier (now mostly used by BD I think).

ssides

Fri Nov 21, 2003 11:02 pm

The older Termnal A at DCA still has some of these jetways.

jsnww81

Fri Nov 21, 2003 11:24 pm

To answer your question about the 'first' jetbridges:

They started popping up almost immediately after jet flights began in the United States... American Airlines had them at its JFK and SFO gates, Delta in ATL (they installed two at the 1948 terminal that closed in 1961).

From then on, most large terminals included jetbridges at some (if not all) of the gates - Atlanta's 1961 terminal had eight jetways for Delta and six for Eastern, Chicago O'Hare had almost 40 of them.

I kind of like the short stubby jetbriges. Reminds me of the olden days.

JGPH1A

Fri Nov 21, 2003 11:26 pm

Didn't Pan Am have sort of ramps rather than jetways, at the Worldport terminal in JFK ? I remember seeing them in a Doris Day movie (I'm so old !).

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos