Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

airjampanam
Topic Author

Proper Non Rev Etiquette

Sat Nov 22, 2003 4:00 am

I have had my fair share of non rev hops, but other that proper business casual, what is considered appropriate as a non revenue customer, and for that matter what should you expect in terms of in flight service?
I have been advised in the past on CO especially if traveling in First, NOT to ask for too much.
Not to pout if no First class meal is available, not to "bother" the FA as they go about their duties to the paying PAXs.
A few experiences flying Business as a non rev. on UA from LHR to EWR was amazing on the ground and in the air, the staff made every attempt to keep me in Business and I didn't detect any difference in treatment once on board.
My flip side question is to you FAs out there.... Do you treat non revs as 1 less passenger to worry about or do they get they same level of treatment, keeping in mind that your loved ones and yourself may one day be non rev?
Not that I would, but can I light up my call button and demand my drinks as though I were a paying customer?
That's a joke...
Thanx in advance
Suing is the new Lotto... if u wanna win u gotta sue!

KaiGywer

RE: Proper Non Rev Etiquette

Sat Nov 22, 2003 4:05 am

On the ground I wouldn't demand too much, but once in the air, and seated safely in your first class seat, I would expect the same service as everybody else.
“Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, an

CALMSP

Sat Nov 22, 2003 4:10 am

the only thing you dont really get is a chance at a meal you want. When I go to Europe, I wait until everyone has their meal ordered and whatever is left I take my pic, typically its what I want. Only once did I not get my first choice. Other than that,they have plenty of salads, appetizers, fruit, bread, and of course the one and only ICE CREAM SUNDAE. Of course it all depends on who youget as your crew.

DeltaGuy

Sat Nov 22, 2003 4:10 am

I actually oftentimes get *better* treatment as a non-rev. First, they put me in F/C or Business, which in itself is a blessing. If I ask for it, I get it...2 bagels if I so choose  Smile When it comes to meals, they go from fore to aft in the cabin, just like if I were a paying customer.

In coach it's kinda nice, bc the f/a's feel bad for me being stuck back there..I'll oftentimes get more drinks than normal, or cookies or something  Smile

Gotta love free DL flights!

DeltaGuy
"The cockpit, what is it?" "It's the little room in the front of the plane where the pilot sits, but that's not importan

PVD757

Sat Nov 22, 2003 4:11 am

I've always been told to be patient, polite, and to pick your times carefully for any requests. If they are pretty busy, they don't want the freebie to run them any harder than they already are.

FoxBravo

Sat Nov 22, 2003 4:36 am

Don't pester the F/As too much, and try to be on your best behavior, but otherwise just act normally.

Here's one personal anecdote: I was non-revving in first class, and the F/A asked me what I wanted for dinner. Trying to be polite, I said I was a non-rev and would take whatever was left. Much to my surprise, she snapped back in an unpleasant tone, "Just pick one!" From then on, whenever I flew non-rev I just acted like a normal passenger, albeit a very polite one, and never had any problems.

So, just sit back, relax, and enjoy your free flight!
Common sense is not so common. -Voltaire

airjampanam
Topic Author

Sat Nov 22, 2003 5:14 am

Thanx for the responses, It seems as though one should keep a low profile and let the crew set the tone.
Suing is the new Lotto... if u wanna win u gotta sue!

AirT85

Sat Nov 22, 2003 5:27 am

I have always been treated with extra-care as a non-rev...possibly because I am only 18 so I've been non-reving as a child all my life until the past few years! (Haven't flown in a year and a half so...who knows now). Like they said, don't be demanding, just blend into the rest of the passengers, and enjoy your flight. If you are seated and the flight attendants are done their food service, little things like walking to the galley (if you can--ie the seatbelt sign is off) to ask for a bottle of water instead of ringing the call button will be much appreciated.

-Tony
Why would God make us all so different, if He wanted us to be the same?

srbmod

Sat Nov 22, 2003 6:49 am

I never looked to demand for anything extra when I non-revved, I had the opinion that I'll take whatever they offer me. I have been on flights where they have gone beyond what they should have, but was very appreciative of their extra effort. One flight PDX-ATL, they ran out of my meal choice up in Business Class, and they asked if it was alright if they brought me one in from coach. I said that it was alright, and didn't care that I wasn't getting the Business Class meal (I didn't want all the frou-frou veggies anyway). While everyone else was eating off of china, I ate out of the tin trays the meals come in. They could have just said I could have the chicken or nothing at all, but the F/As went the extra mile, even though I was a non-rev. The biggest problem I seem to have on some flights was the F/As would not let my wine glass get half-empty before trying to refill it. I mean there were times I literally had to put my hand over my glass and say that I was fine and did not need anymore wine. Non-revs at times do get better treatment than the paying passengers. I'd be flying in coach, and they'd give me the whole can of cola and several bags of snack mix. Passengers around me were giving me looks like "Why does he get a whole can while we get half a can?" or "What makes him so special that he gets more than us?" I actually got upgraded onboard one night while boarding. Was walking down the jetway, and the Captain was greeting passengers as they boarded, and he saw my ID badge (I was wearing it so I wouldn't lose it, and when flying, would normally tuck my ID into my shirt pocket) as I was putting it up, and he asked the lead F/A to offer me a seat up in Business Class (it was myself and another passenger). I was very nice about getting upgraded, as it was unexpected.

EMBQA

Sat Nov 22, 2003 7:02 am

The one thing I did was to never make a big stink and not demand 1st Class. I actually saw someone do that once in front of me, and the gate agent just said it was full...but she would see what she could do. When my turn came in line I just told her I was trying to get home from a trip on company business and "As long as I get home...I don't care where I sit." Guess where I was sitting when the load mouth finally got on board...!!! Kindness and being polite PAYS. But......I did have the chance to sit in row LAST next to the lav, and would always end up chatting with the FA's about company business and things, so it was just as good as I'd always grab an extra coke.  Smile
"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, but the size of the fight in the dog"

VC-10

Sat Nov 22, 2003 7:12 am

Simple - Dress smartly & keep a low profile.

Leezyjet

Sat Nov 22, 2003 7:23 am

Never start an argument with the airline's staff if they ask you to do/not do some thing - especially if it ain't your airline.

Once had 2 AA staff flying from LHR-LBA who started a huge argument with the gate staff as they were both carring huge trolley bags and were asked to check them in. I was the Flight Dispatcher on the flight and I could hear them arguing, but didn't realise they were staff passengers as I was used to hearing pax arguing over cabin baggage.

As they walked off cursing down the jetty, I noticed their tickets were AA ID90 tickets. At that point my blood boiled and I mean boiled. I don't even expect full fare paying passengers to give my gate team shit, but another carriers staff on ID-90's !!!  Pissed .

I flew down the jetty after them and they got a piece of my mind I can tell you. The woman still insisted on arguing and SHE was the staff member !!!. Had it not been for her husband telling her to shut the F*ck up and apologising profusely and the fact that their bags had already gone down to the a/c, I would have hauled their @$$es off that flight !!!.

Funny thing is I was due to go work up at LBA a few days later for 1 month, so I made a note of their names and made sure I looked out for them whilst I was up there, but never saw them unfortunately  Sad

So moral of the story, if you are travelling Non-Rev and you are asked to do something - do it without question especially if you are on a differant carrier than your own.

Smile
"She Rolls, 45 knots, 90, 135, nose comes up to 20 degrees, she's airborne - She flies, Concorde Flies"

dl1011

Sat Nov 22, 2003 10:56 am

My wife and I have almost ALWAYS been treated great
while non-reving. I can't count the number of times that
other employee's have gone way out of their way to help or just to make a trip more enjoyable. Pure acts of kindness.

Just be polite and usually you will be well taken care of.

The one exception is Air France. I have tried nice, polite, quite, yes please, thank you and have had many, many problems. We avoid them now because it's just not worth it. The only time that I have argued with a gate agent was at Air France. They seem to take great pride in screwing up a trip.

bistro1200

Sat Nov 22, 2003 12:02 pm

Leezyjet: I had the same experience with travel on LH. I was asked to check my "trolly bag" (we call it a rollaboard over in the colonies) and my father and I did. What is curious is that in the US, these bags are designed to be carried aboard. In Europe, they wouldn't have any of it. We checked the bags to LHR, however they never turned up. It was another day until they got to us in the states. Why the inconsistancies? Isn't an overhead bin the same size in the EU as it is in the US?

As for other treatment, I thank my FAs as much as possible, folding the blanket when I'm done and generally straightening up the seat. It *is* my airline, in some small way.

And what is the deal with "begging" for first class seats? At my airline you can be fired as an agent for upgrading random passengers, standby or not. If there are seats for staff on a given flight, you can bet that they will be assigned according to company seniority. No amount of begging will help, and will just make you look pathetic.
Measure to the millimeter, mark with a crayon, cut with an axe.

captaink

Sat Nov 22, 2003 12:17 pm

I upgrade to FC on US as a staff. The F/A's treat my just like any other passenger. I am not a demanding person normally, so I get along just great with the crew. THe only problem sometimes is the meal. And the F/A woudl just approach me very discreetly and let me know the situation. Once, I had to share a salad with my mom, but the F/A split is nicely in the galley and served us as normal. I think the crew are great with me and my family in FC.
Look Up

patroni

Sat Nov 22, 2003 12:21 pm

Besides being polite to the staff (which should also be a normal thing for full-fare paying passengers btw...) it is also very important not to show to the other passengers that you are a Nonrev traveller who flies for free in First Class, while the normal pax (or their companies) had paid a fortune for it. I had already experienced Nonrevs who were loudly bragging in the presence of normal customers how the airline was doing everything to please them.... holding flights at the gate because they were late, giving them only the best food in First etc. I consider this rather bad style and don't think that the airline really appreciates such things.

Just my 2 cents...

Tom

CO2BGR

Sat Nov 22, 2003 1:12 pm

When I non-rev I am grateful for ANY seat on the plane. Once onboard one should act like any other passenger. Talking about flying for free or at extreme discount where fare paying paxs can hear is just wrong.

I dont feel like the F/As should give any preferential treatment to the non-revs as that would also single them out on the plane.
There are too many self indulgent weiners in this town with too much bloody money" Randal Raines- Gone in 60 Seconds

zippyjet

Sat Nov 22, 2003 1:37 pm

I work as a customer service crew member in the Air Tran family. My advice is to do unto others as you would want others to do to you. I have yet to non-rev on another carrier. When I've traveled within my system, I've always been treated in a courteous manner; usually eliciting a smile. I never ask for business class. Usually, I've been upgraded and I thank my fellow crewmembers for their generosity. When things are hectic, I usually just seat assign myself in row 10 A or 10 F (bulkhead on Air Tran 717's) in coach.
View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Justin Cederholm

From my perspective working gate and ticket counter, I appreciate common courtesy. Arrive for your flight in a timely manner. And please do not stroll up to the ticket counter when we are ready to close! Many of my fellow agents go home once the ticket counter commences operations. I myself, have obligations meeting inbound flights at the gate. And, for anyone who knows BWI
View Large View Medium

Photo © Paul W.

there is some major league walking involved when it comes to concourse D!  Smile/happy/getting dizzy.

Regarding attire; It is Air Tran's policy that crew members and non rev travelers dress "business casual" which means no jeans, flip flops or anything way out of left field. Not to worry if you sport a mullet, that is OK. Hope this sheds some light on everything.

View Large View Medium

Photo © Scott Hoggard

I'm Zippyjet & I approve this message!

ZSSNC

Sun Nov 23, 2003 6:22 pm

Leezyjet,

I can absolutely second what you say. There is nothing worse than non-rev passengers starting an argument (especially if they are at the check-in counters and have about 20 full fare passengers behind them waiting to be checked in). A couple of weeks ago (I was non-revving too and just beating time dead in our backoffice) I witnessed a pilot (OAL) that started an argument with our check-in agent (he had 50kgs of excess baggage) about whether he had to pay for it or not. I have experienced similar situations before. It is unbelievable that some non-rev passengers think that they deserve special treatment. If I charge a full paying passenger for excess baggage there is no way I am going to make an exception for a non-rev passenger.

As a non-rev passenger I always treat my colleagues (or staff of OAL) just like I would like be treated by my passengers.

ZSSNC
Airbus A340-600 - the longest temptation in the sky