Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

FLAIRPORT
Topic Author

Holiday Travel "Words Of The Wise"

Sun Nov 23, 2003 11:31 am

OK, This week marks the busiest travel week of the year. So, I want to know from people flying this week, how were the loads on your flight? Also, what are YOUR travel tips? and do you spot this week and if so, what do yuo do differently? How is security this week?

and finally, where is there a domestic seat map website that is like seatmap.com?

cs03

RE: Holiday Travel "Words Of The Wise"

Sun Nov 23, 2003 11:39 am

Check in Early! And get boarding passes in advance (via your computer) and take shoes off once you are in the TSA line. Also, do not wrap gifts up until you are at your destination!

United_fan

Sun Nov 23, 2003 11:43 am

The answer to your second question would be http://www.seatguru.com

COEWRNJ

Sun Nov 23, 2003 11:44 am

I normally check a bag butr this time I am just doing carry on. Can I bring my shaving razor on board? Just wanted to know so I dont get searched to death at security.

AA777MIA

Sun Nov 23, 2003 11:45 am

FLL Tends to get kind of crazy, especially when those big boats come in!!! Give yourself PLENTY of time to get thru security. If the airline that you are flying allows online checkin, then do it, it will save you a few precious minutes, and before you will know it, you are there. Oh yeah, don't forget to pack a snack =) Ya never know, chances are, you are on one of those short flights where it is just a beverage... Happy Holidays and travels!!

COEWRNJ

Sun Nov 23, 2003 11:48 am

Does anyone have a recommendation on haw early I should get to PHX for CO.

Happy Holidays!!
Dave

FLAIRPORT
Topic Author

Sun Nov 23, 2003 11:52 am

yea, FLL is bad when the ships come in, but that won't be a problem on Wednesday, the BUSIEST day! do you know how the loads are OUT of FLL on WED (I'm not traveling this weekend, but i am curious), AA777? I would imagine it is not as bad as going into FLL.

I prodict that Sunday will be jammed here at FLL, for departures and maybe
Tuesday for arrivals, with the cruises, but I think that if you want to go anywhere with a normal load. (stressing normal, becasue FLL is busy on a normal day, like my 9/11/03 full flight!), it will be a FLL route.

It will be very interesting to see SONG's first Thanksgiving and jetBlue's first Thganksgiving with direct LCC competition from Song.

also, it is not seatguru.com. Seatmap.com showed you which seats were booked. does anyone remember that site for DL flights that someone posted?

AA777MIA

Sun Nov 23, 2003 11:56 am

FLAirport:

Where are you going, and on who? I cannot check the loads on anyone but the SILVERBIRD, sorry... =(

FLAIRPORT
Topic Author

Sun Nov 23, 2003 11:59 am

I'm sure you just missed this in my post:
(I'm not traveling this weekend, but i am curious)

and, anyway, I meant in general in the past.

AA777MIA

Sun Nov 23, 2003 12:01 pm

Well over the TURKEY day weekend, thing are usually pretty full. I just came in from DFW today, and well there was a butt in every seat, which is good... Actually the terminal in DFW was VERy crowded.. GOOD THING... We Like That!! =) I would imagine, that this Turkey Weekend, things are going to be pretty full!!

phxmkeflyer

Sun Nov 23, 2003 12:14 pm

COEWRNJ: CO is in Terminal 2, the least busiest terminal at PHX, I would advise you get there 2 hours early, between checking-in and security 2 hours should be plenty....hopefully Smile

nonrevman

Sun Nov 23, 2003 12:32 pm

For nonrevs:

(1) Have a Plan B, a Plan C, a plan D, etc...
(2) A buddy pass is not a ticket.
(3) have enough money in your account or on your credit card for the one-way ticket back home.
(4) If 2 is not possible, find out what it would cost to rent a car to drive home.
(5) If you get a middle seat, just be glad you got on the plane.
(6) A buddy pass is not a ticket.
(7) Dont even think about Sunday, Nov 30.

nonrevman

Sun Nov 23, 2003 12:37 pm

Correction:

4) If 3 is not possible, find out what it would cost to rent a car to drive home

Tiger119

Sun Nov 23, 2003 1:50 pm

Get to the airport early and pack your wallet full for the expensive food at airports. I try to check everything in at the counter so I spend less time at TSA/Security. Usually the only thing I will bring on board is maybe some cheese crackers and a magazine.

AirDude66

Sun Nov 23, 2003 2:08 pm

Get to the airport 90 minutes ahead of time and pray for good weather and no more SAM strikes.

Although TSA says they are adequately staffed - these are government employees and I would expect all locations are going to experience a high percentage of call-offs/sick calls in protest to upcoming cut backs.

zippyjet

Sun Nov 23, 2003 3:22 pm

Ok, here we go! I'm on the front lines as a customer service crew member in the Air Tran family at BWI. So, I could be at a ticket counter or gate near you.
Remember, Do Unto Others as you would like done to you! Busy is an understatement. Therefore, take everything with a grain of salt. This is for you the flying public and for my fellow friends/crew members. The grump quotient is going to be high. Be prepared!

1. Have up to date name tags on your bags before you visit me at the ticket counter! Filling out name tags slows the flow to a snail's pace. Imagine over 150 people having a handwriting session at the ticket counter.

2. If you have what we fondly call nuisance tickets (paper IATA tickets) have them in your hand. DON'T LEAVE HOME WITHOUT THEM. UNLESS, YOU WANT TO PAY MORE MONEY. And have those mug shots ready to go.
3. Turn that cell phone off while doing business at the ticket counter and gates.

4. Even if there is the smallest possibility you may need a wheelchair, request it. We'd rather have one waiting at the gate. Especially here at BWI where the skycaps are running in overdrive.

5. UMNRS- loved ones meeting their kids, timeliness is everything. You would be amazed at how many kids are kept waiting for their ride to pick them up. I know, if I was a UMNR and my ride was late especially during the holiday season, I'd be quite upset.
6. Customers paying with cash, please be prepared to have the exact change with you.

7. Treat leftovers (turkey day feast) as a precious commodity unless your thing is to wait in a long line for overpriced airport food. We've had passengers miss their flights because they were in line at Roy Rodgers for an hour! They got their trigger burger but, missed their flight to "Mickey" (MCO). That fast food meal cost them a whole lot more than the price on the menu.
8. Back to cell phones. Unless it is absolutely necessary; keep them in a safe place and turned off. More of those little things are left between the seats and even in the lav's.

9. This pertains to pax traveling through BWI, DCA or IAD. WTOP-AM 1500 has traffic and weather together every ten minutes on the eights. Take advantage of these reports; one never knows when a Baltimore Washington area traffic fiasco from hell will rear its ugly head. Murphy's law: your trip to the airport just so happens to take you through this on the road turbulence.

And most of all, keep your sense of humor! Please don't ask us how are Thanksgiving was on turkey day as we deplane you! Thank you for your nice gesture but, a smile and eye contact goes a million miles and won't be taken as an act of patronize. Remember, cats have kittens. Not us humans. Try not to go postal at the airport for many obvious reasons. Honey gets you farther along than vinegar!  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Bob Lemus

View Large View Medium

Photo © Chris Liao - SPOT THIS!

View Large View Medium

Photo © Stephen Dobbins

AirDude66

Sun Nov 23, 2003 3:29 pm

CHECK AT Macedonian Airlines (Greece)">IN ON LINE AT HOME.

TRAVEL WITH ONE CARRYONE AND GO STRAIGHT TO THE GATE.

DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES ASSUME YOU WILL EXPERIENCE ANY DEGREE OF CUSTOMER SERVICE.

FOR GOD'S SAKE - HANG UP AND GET THROUGH SCREENING!

j_hallgren

Sun Nov 23, 2003 4:36 pm

It was not at holiday time but last times i flew, when going thru security, I warned the screeners that the camera bag I had would be a mess of wires and battery packs and other similar items to see on screen and that i would be willing to show them anything in it...they said thanks and didn't even ask to look at it because of my offer...saved me some time!

FLAIRPORT
Topic Author

Mon Nov 24, 2003 2:28 am

wel, I am going to try an add to my topic here, this is espically at FLL:
this is based on 9/11/03 expirence and 9/7/03 observations in the DL termianal

On Wednesday and Sunday
from FLL:
check in WAY early.... the TSA is very slow, espically with checked bags. In termainal 1, you may check in a little later as the terminal is built for a high number of PAX and the TSA is hidden.
Avoid peak travel times... there may be odd cruise schedules this week, so remember to avoid around 11am-3pm. *Hint*.... in the DL terminal, IF you happen to be there in that time period, go to the RIGHT, which is the side with the actual agents. The line is much quicker. This is also, ESPICALLY, valid on Saturday, as that is the main cruise day!!!!!!!!!!!!
you don't have to remind the TSA that you have SSSSS on your card.... I got through just fine when i fleew
At security AND in the concourse, be courtious to those who are deplaning and exiting. the terminal is small.
IF you are under 18, you may have to show your ID.... I tried to tell the agent i was 16, but he didn't listen!
For those of you arriving from cruises, please TRY to blend in. It seems that people from cruises take FOREVER and are annoying!
Finally, don't explore councourse D... it is very small, but when a lot of people fly, it gets very cramped.

flying TO FLL on either day.
In terminal 1, you have ample room to move around the baggage claim. Would you believe that at noon, i could not see a SINGLE person in the baggage claim! it is very wide open and they seem to get the bags out quick.
In terminal 2, on the other hand, TOTALLY different story. They have always gotten the bags out pretty slow and there is very little room. Little room + 3 claims only = TROUBLE!!!!!!!!!!!!
For people who are going to cruises, please walk quicker than usual!
And, finally, rent-a-car buses pick up on the first floor on EITHER side of the terminal. contact your rent-a-car company for the exact location. But, please, do NOT wait in FRONT of the terminal!

And for ANYONE, take advantage of the shuttle in the parking lot. it if free and takes you to ANY of the 4 terminals from one of their predesignated stops. the operate every 5-10 mins.

ATL tips will be posted TONIGHT!

ANX4fishing

Mon Nov 24, 2003 2:53 am

Holiday Travel "Words Of The Wise...." Stay home. I refuse to travel during peak holidays anymore. I don't know whether it is my lack of patience or fellow grumpy pax, but what an overall miserable experience it is. My hat is off to all airline emplyees who endures working during peak travel.

FLAIRPORT
Topic Author

Mon Nov 24, 2003 11:51 am

my ATL tips:

1: on any flight, allow connecting PAX off first!
2: if you are conneting, please don't go slow, unless you have a long layover.
3. if you go to the T or A concourse or from A to ticketing/bag claim, use the moving sidewalks. If you can and are not in T or A, use them as well.... they are not crowded.
4. follow all directions given by that friendly lady.... "if you do not wish to walk, please step to the right, to allow others to pass!" or the man... "careful, doors are closing and will not reopen, please wait for the next train."
5. the train on the RIGHT (going toward E) side is the train TO E and at the LEFT is TO TICKETING/ BAG CLAIM!
6. remember that ATL is still a big city, so be prepared to wait at ticketing, security, and bag claim.
7. Finally, when you are departing, please promptly sit down.... there seems to be a problem at ATL with delays and you only further the problem!

pmanchuk

Mon Nov 24, 2003 12:06 pm

My annual Thanksgiving experience at FLL...

The DL terminal is always a mess for those of us lucky enough to be flying out. I always fly the day before thanksgiving... the absolute worst thing you'll encounter is the TSA screening lines. Although they try to control it by only screening passengers on flights departing within a certain time window, it's still anywhere from 45 minutes to an hour and a half just to be screened.

I know some people LOVE to over pack, but if you can, just do a carry on and check in online (mind you i'm talking about DL here). The comment about going to the right side for the screening is also a great bit of advice for those unfamiliar with FLL.

Frequently I book myself the 5:30AM flight to ATL out of FLL on the holidays, but even at that time, surprisingly enough, it's busy. Mostly because the ticket counters aren't staffed until 5:00AM (i believe, don't quote me)... and there's always a mad rush for screening because no one seems to be able to get up on time to catch a 5:30 flight. I've decided to try my luck on the 2:20PM flight on Wednesday... I'll let y'all know if I made a horrible mistake.

AIR757200

Mon Nov 24, 2003 12:24 pm

(7) Dont even think about Sunday, Nov 30.

Isn't that the truth!! I'm logged-in the non-rev travel planner for AA and its all red ("Not Likely").

AA7573E

Mon Nov 24, 2003 12:39 pm

Chicago tips:

ORD

1. Take the El. The arrival and departure roadways are an absolute nightmare during the holidays. The El does not slow down for rain, snow or traffic jams, and is relaxing compared to driving.
  2. If you have to take ground transportation once you arrive, it is worth it to get a car service. The cab stands will be packed, but pre arranged cars pick up on the second pier, and you usually only have to wait 10 minutes after you call the service. I personally recommend you use Smart Cars. You can find them on the net.

MDW

1. Take the El. Same as above.
  2. Give yourself as much extra time as you can. Security at MDW is insane. The airport is poorly laid out for it, and as such, the lines are huge, and they move very slowly. Be patient, as I have seen the TSA at MDW give passengers that appear to be in a hurry or who outwardly express their unhappiness with the lines, a much harder time when they go through screening.
  3. Enjoy the new airport. The city put a lot of money into the new facility, and it is a very nice airport. The newly opened pier where WN, F9, AirTran, NWA and a few other carriers fly out of offers some good opportunities for watching operations on all the runways.

And as always in Chicago, keep your fingers crossed for good weather.

AA7573E

[Edited 2003-11-24 04:40:18]

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos