Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Tony Lu
Topic Author

Are There Any Preserved Space Shuttle Carriers?

Thu Nov 27, 2003 1:44 am

It could be either a NASA 747-100 or a Russian An-225 or any other space shuttle carrier. Where are they preserved? Are they still flyable? Can you go inside? Are there seats inside?

Thanks!
Tony

N777UA

RE: Are There Any Preserved Space Shuttle Carriers?

Thu Nov 27, 2003 1:50 am

NASA still uses the 747-100 to carry the Space Shuttle (at least, they did till the SS grounding last Feb after the Columbia crash). Not sure if it is still set up as an airliner or not.

JA54123

Thu Nov 27, 2003 2:11 am

As of last month at the Edwards AFB open house, the NASA 747 was outfitted with probably 15-20 seats up in the nose section forward of the stairs to the upper deck, the rest of the aircraft all the way to the rear bulkhead is unfinished, with none of the normal airliner stuff ( no overhead bins or paneling). You can see all the air-conditioning ducts, insulation, wiring and many other things one usually does not ever see in a normal 747. The aircraft is in good condition and it has a modified tail with additional vertical stabilizers at each end of the horizontal stabilizer. It is a neat aircraft and seems very big with it being completely open like that inside. The two things that amazed me and really brought the size of the aircraft into perspective were first of all, the size of standing beside it and climbing a stairway up into the door and second standing in the center of the aircraft there is a grate that opens down into the cargo hold and when looking up to the ceiling and then looking down into a cavern of a cargo hold you see how large the fuselage is. Really amazing aircraft!!

JASON
You wouldn't understand, it's a Texas Thang!

qwerty

Thu Nov 27, 2003 2:37 am

There are at least two, both (or more) still active. And I have heard they are used for other Nasa things other than just carrying the Shuttle to-and-from Edwards AFB, when necessary, or moving the shuttles to maintence facilities.

I once saw one in static display, with the "glider" FIRST shuttle hitchhiking, and the carrier 74s are often at air shows.

cedarjet

Thu Nov 27, 2003 2:47 am

Did you know the Space Shuttle came to England on the back of a 741 transporter? They brought it over for an airshow. Imagine that, a whole Atlantic crossing for a 747 with a Space Shuttle strapped to the roof all night. Then all the way back.

Anyone know the range of the 747 with a space ship in tow?

(How can anyone be blindly "anti-American"? What other country does this kind of thing? And I've said this before but in the wake of the slaughter in Iraq it's worth remembering - that JFK was an alternate landing site for the Shuttle, and what other country in the world has civilian airports where a space ship could come in and land inbetween Air-India, United, Korean and Jet Blue? Are you kidding? Wow - God bless America.)
fly Saha Air 707s daily from Tehran's downtown Mehrabad to Mashhad, Kish Island and Ahwaz

Thu Nov 27, 2003 2:49 am

That NASA 747-123 is generally maintained by Evergreen, at their base in Marana, AZ. - That is the last time I saw the plane... is the only one I know.
(s) Skipper

Trident

Thu Nov 27, 2003 3:32 am

NASA took the 747/Shuttle combination to the Paris Air Show in 1983 and stopped off on the way back at Stansted. The Shuttle on board was the non-space worthy "Enterprise".

MD11Engineer

Thu Nov 27, 2003 3:48 am

Cologne, Germany is one of the Space Shuttle emergency landing fields, for instance. It has been here in the 80´s. And the USAF base Zaragoza in Spain

Jan
Je Suis Charlie et je suis Ahmet aussi

IMissPiedmont

Thu Nov 27, 2003 1:10 pm

The second NASA shuttle transport is a 747SR-46. Both are still in service. As for the An-225, we all know, I hope, that it is back in the air.

Those are the three.

Oh yes. The range with the shuttle aboard is about 2000 miles for the 747s.
The day you stop learning is the day you should die.

FlagshipAZ

Thu Nov 27, 2003 11:29 pm

NASA also has a third 747...this one is an -SP. This ex-PA ship is used for a high-altitude telescope program (SOFIA, I believe). I know this post is unrelated to the shuttle carrier topic, but I just wanted to point out that NASA has a small, but significant fleet of 747s. Regards.
"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." --Ben Franklin

qwerty

RE: Are There Any Preserved Space Shuttle Carriers

Fri Nov 28, 2003 2:01 am

- that JFK was an alternate landing site for the Shuttle, and what other country in the world has civilian airports where a space ship could come in and land

They could also bail to MCO as well. On a serious note, a JFK or MCO landing would mean serious problems on ascent and alternatives are like a neverever proposition on deorbit. I've always wanted to see a "safe" descent/deorbit to Africa for PR reasons - but not for PR but for weather. Thankfully the shuttle has never _needed_ to land other than Edwards AFB or Spaceport USA, FL since a 2 coast weather lock out has never run longer than b/u life support. Although, again, I would like to see and non-US touch down, though the reality of the alternative landing sites is that they are just for ascent problems, and in that cycle, getting to have a chace to land anywhere is an engineering miracle of miracles, hand-in-hand with some computer white-knuckle flying and lots of praying.

ha763

Fri Nov 28, 2003 5:58 am

Actually, the Space Shuttle has landed at a landing site other than Edwards and KSC. On March 30, 1982, STS-3 landed at White Sands Missle Range due to unfavorable conditions at Edwards.

HNL's Reef Runway is also an alternative landing site for the Space Shuttle. Also, Banjul International Airport in Gambia is a civilian airport located in a country other than the USA that is an alternative landing site for the Space Shuttle.

flynavy

Fri Nov 28, 2003 6:44 am

Oceana NAS in Virginia Beach, VA is also an alternate landing site for the shuttle. It's the master jet base for the Atlantic Fleet. F-14 and F/A-18's are based here.
Change is: one airline, six continents!

KaiGywer

Fri Nov 28, 2003 2:19 pm

How do they get the Shuttle on top on the 747? Big crane?
“Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, an

POSITIVE RATE

Fri Nov 28, 2003 2:45 pm

So the range is only 2,000 miles with the shuttle on top? Man that's a helluva difference. I suppose it's mainly due to the extra weight which means less fuel can be carried by the 747 so less range. I wish they'd bring one over to the Avalon Airshow here in Australia so i could see it with Enterprise on top  Smile

chrisdigo

Fri Nov 28, 2003 4:46 pm

Cedarjet: What other country does this kind of thing?

Let me think......

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Bill Blanchard

Laugh out loud
Chris

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos