Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, hOMSaR

BA
Topic Author

Syrian Air Starting Beirut - Vienna

Tue Dec 02, 2003 1:18 pm

Syrian Air is taking advantage of Beirut's Open skies and will be routing its Tuesday flight to Vienna through Beirut to take advantage of Beirut's Open Skies.

As a result of the open skies, passengers will be able to take advantage of this route and book on the Beirut - Vienna segment.

The first flight begins tommorow and it will operate on Tuesdays on an A320.

Austrian Airlines will be code-sharing on this flight just like they code-share on all of the other Vienna flights operated by Syrian Air to Aleppo and Damascus.

Syrian Air currently operates 1x weekly on an A320 to Brussels. The flight originates in Damascus, flies to Aleppo, then flies to Beirut before it continues to Brussels.

They also operate a 1x weekly flight on a 727 to Casablanca with a stop in Tunis from Beirut. The flight originates in Damascus before it stops in Beirut.

They have 5th freedom rights on the Beirut - Casablanca segment, but not the Beirut - Tunis segment.

Austrian Airlines currently operates to Beirut only on a summer seasonal basis, although that might be changing next year.

Regards
"Generosity is giving more than you can, and pride is taking less than you need." - Khalil Gibran

OD720

RE: Syrian Air Starting Beirut - Vienna

Tue Dec 02, 2003 5:31 pm

If OS is codesharing it means that they are maintaining the year round operations to BEY (thru Syrian). This will allow OS to serve those passengers who hold a 1 year ticket to fly in and out of BEY during the winter. Good move.

airxliban

Tue Dec 02, 2003 6:12 pm

why don't they just damn well stay in Damascus??

well, we know why.

Is there a viable market between Beirut and Vienna?
PARIS, FRANCE...THE BEIRUT OF EUROPE.

Amir

Tue Dec 02, 2003 6:16 pm

Marhaba!

The Code-share agreement of OS and RB was not the intention of OS. OS wanted to add more frequencies to VIE-DAM some two years ago and they were only granted the rights on the provision that they code share with RB on same.

With only one weekly frequency, i think they will hardly get any business. The bulk of OS's business out of BEY went to LH (codes share) via FRA.
Vatche: Is there a big market for the One year tix holder? Out of Germany RB offers a very competitive Y-Flex Fare (though they hold a monopoly on FRA-DAM.....) you get X-Bag allowed and mostly seated in C.

Best regards
Amir

OD720

Tue Dec 02, 2003 6:42 pm

Hi Amir,

I'm just assuming here and to the benefit of OS, that there might be some passengers with 1 year tickets and in this way, OS will be able to fly them non-stop VIE-BEY year round.

Regards.

yegbey01

Wed Dec 03, 2003 12:26 am

Folks,

This clearly underscores the importance of the BEY market. It doesn't matter whether people will buy one year tickets or not. The bottom line is that obviously there's a demand and saddly, MEA is missing out.

LMP737

Wed Dec 03, 2003 12:35 am

What was Lebanon going to do, say no?
Never take financial advice from co-workers.

yegbey01

Wed Dec 03, 2003 12:38 am

Lebanon has an open sky policy. JAT runs flights from BEY to DXB, so do MH, Hemus and Oman Air.

This isn't related to politics. There are some gaps and there are many airlines that are willing to fill them. Good for Syrian.

cedarjet

Wed Dec 03, 2003 12:49 am

Nice to see Beirut generating so much traffic, and so many interesting airlines. That open skies thing may have been at MEA's expense but I but it's doing wonders for the economy of Lebanon, a virtual city-state (nearly half the population of this tiny country live in Beirut).
fly Saha Air 707s daily from Tehran's downtown Mehrabad to Mashhad, Kish Island and Ahwaz

OD720

Wed Dec 03, 2003 2:14 am

Yegbey,

MEA will not add a new destination just to operate with a weak frequency of once per week. The airline will lose money on routes like these during the low winter season. This is why I think, MEA operates Nice and DUS seasonally only.
Probably Syrian is already doing badly on the VIE route so they decided to add BEY. If they were doing good in the first place, they wouldn't have made the move.

BA
Topic Author

Wed Dec 03, 2003 7:09 am

I am sure that VIE-BEY is viable year-round. It was operated year-round by Austrian until the war in Iraq.

I think we will see them operate the route year-round next year. Lebanon is actually a very popular destination for Austrians and there are many Lebanese in Austria.

Next summer Austrian will be flying to Beirut on a daily basis during the summer. I think they will operate the route during the winter at probably a 3x weekly frequency which isn't bad.

The MEA flight to Nice serves Lebanese tourists who want to vacation on the French riviera during the summer. It's quite a low-yielding route, but I hear it is very popular. Again, it is only a seasonal market.

Dusseldorf was an experimental market for MEA and I believe they were offered some sort of incentive by Dusseldorf. I think there is a possibility that this route will return next year again and who knows, maybe will operate year-round.

Sadly, Syrian Air is not an efficiently run airline. They have many triangle and square routes and even pentagon routes! They also have minimal frequencies on most of there routes.

Many of the routes they operate are 1x or 2x weekly.

Also, both Syrian Air and Austrian Airlines fly VIE-DAM. It seems like a big market. Are there many Syrians in Austria?

Regards
"Generosity is giving more than you can, and pride is taking less than you need." - Khalil Gibran

yegbey01

Wed Dec 03, 2003 9:02 am

The reason why OS operates all these flights to Syria is simple. OS has always been a big operator to Eastern Europe. Many Syrians used to to the Eastern Bloc countries and I guess they still do. So OS has a very well established base out of DAM and ALP

BA
Topic Author

Wed Dec 03, 2003 9:04 am

That explains it Yegbey01, thanks.

Regards

Amir

Wed Dec 03, 2003 4:33 pm

Hi BA

Re your question about why OS operates so many flights to/from DAM.
The reason is not as the east EU destinations. It is simply because OS has very fast connex ex VIE for the DAM-VIE flight, giving very good and convenient travel time for the top EU Dest. out of DAM: DUS, HAM, MIL, PAR,
MUC...etc.

Another softfactors: OS Cabin Crew is very much liked among Syrians, same goes to VIE being a rather small and nice airport to Transit. In Addition, Syrians don't need a Transit visa when going via VIE. The real O&D Traffic DA-VIE is very small, max. 15%, the rest is Transit.
As mentioned before, After LH terminated DAM in 1999 most of their traffic went to OS, due to Codeshare and Miles and More.

I myself have traveled more than 40 Times between Germany and DAM with all online carriers and i can only recommend OS.

Regards
Amir

BA
Topic Author

Thu Dec 04, 2003 7:25 am

Amir,

Any ideas why Lufthansa discontinued service to Damascus?

Regards

yegbey01

Thu Dec 04, 2003 9:21 am

I would say, the market just doesn't support it. By OS increasing its service to Syria, they will do the job just fine

BA
Topic Author

Thu Dec 04, 2003 10:25 am

True Yegbey01, but the way I see it, Lufthansa is losing out.

All the other major European carriers, British Airways (operated by British Mediterranean), Air France, and KLM fly to Damascus. Kinda odd that the 2nd largest European airline doens't.  Smile

Oh well, they might return one day...who knows.

Lufthansa was late in starting Beirut, they started it in 1997 or 1998, I forgot.

Regards

ARN

Thu Dec 04, 2003 5:50 pm

Perhaps Syrian will reroute their Damascus - Aleppo - Athens - Stockholm service through Beirut instead? I guess Beirut could generate a lot of traffic following the success of Snowflake.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos