Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

aviaction

RE: Ignorant Questions Or Statements.

Wed Dec 03, 2003 7:35 am

Many years, while I was with a small tour operator, we started a campaign for a land-only package (meaning accommodaton, meals and transfer only, no flight). In order to avoid bothersome discussions, it was clearly marked in the ads "7 nights' accommodation, full board and transfer airport - hotel v.v. inclusive, flights exclusive ".

You simply cannot imagine the number of callers who inquired which airline would operate these "exclusive flights !

Mind you, the following ads had a different wording!

Exclusive flying for all of us  Wink/being sarcastic
Aviaction

German by nationality, European by heart!

jhooper

Wed Dec 03, 2003 2:00 pm

a friend: "I flew in to Houston from Louisville, Kentucky last night."
me: "what airline?"
a friend: "Continental"
me: "what type of aircraft?"
a friend: "747"
Last year 1,944 New Yorkers saw something and said something.

Iflewrepublic

Wed Dec 03, 2003 2:20 pm

The best, in my opinion, is when one of your crew members gets the arrival city in correct...or completely forgets it all together.

For example...

"On behalf of your Detroit based flight crew and your Memphis based cabin crew, and our family of 45,000 employees worldwide, we'd like to welcome you and your family to our home of...of..." Turns off p/a.

Turns it back on..."Minneapolis."

I was on a Delta flight once minding my own business in my seat towards the back of the bus when I noticed the Flight Attendant begin the pre-departure announcement. She turned on the intercom and began the whole thing...

"Ladies and Gentlemen, good morning and welcome aboard Delta Airlines Flight...Flight..."

She turns it off, pokes her head around the bulkhead and looks at one of the passengers and says, "Do you know what flight this is?"

He tells her and she continues "Flight 1065...blah, blah, blah...on behalf of your DALLAS based crew, it's a pleasure to have you aboard." I took a look at her again and noticed she was the stereotypical Dallas girl...big hair, big everything. I laughed to myself and shook my head.

I guess you had to be there.

Iflewrepublic.
Aviation is proof that, given the will, we have the capacity to achieve the impossible.

bahadir

Wed Dec 03, 2003 2:47 pm

I frequently fly the SEA-ORD flight at 2:15 pm on Sundays. This flight is one of the marketing flights that has the same flight number as the ORD-LHR flight. Of course, again because of the marketing reasons FAs says.. "Welcome on board United flight XXX with service to O'Hare with continuing service to London "...

One guy, asked "Are we going to London first?" .. I laughed.. but it was weird when he was all serious..

Some people...
Earthbound misfit I

garnetpalmetto

Thu Dec 04, 2003 4:16 am

Picture it: March, 2000. I'm flying from CAE to LGA with a transfer in CLT on US. I board my CLT-LGA aircraft and hear a passenger ask her husband "Do you know if this thing is Y2K compatible?" Hubby's response "Oh sure, hun. You know how well the Germans engineer things. I hear those Airbus people are pretty smart." The aircraft? A Boeing 737-300.
South Carolina - too small to be its own country, too big to be a mental asylum.

iflyatldl

Thu Dec 04, 2003 7:15 am

When I was flying, I would occasionally forget what city the flight I was working was arriving in (LOL!) when I was doing the arrival announcement-only if it was multi-legs. And a 16-18 hour day.
Cheers!
Ah, Summer, Fenway Park, Boston Red Sox and Beer.....

rb211

Thu Dec 04, 2003 7:19 am

I would'nt really call it stupid, but I just love it when I sit next to someone who has never seen the reverse thrusters on a 737-200 or a 777 and they ask me does the pilot realize the engine is falling apart.
Airline photography. Whether they're fully clothed, butt naked, having issues or confused I'm taking pictures!!

wilcharl

Sat Dec 13, 2003 5:53 pm

One i have heard from FA friends... A pax asked with a serious straight face for a draft beer as he coudlnt stand canned beer... The FA responded that they had to change the kegs and headed up to the galley poped a can of beer open poured it into a glass and returned serving it to the pax as draft beer... on the same note a friend in college was a waitor part time and he said if customers asked for decaf and they were out they would simply serve regular and the customer would always say "thats the best decaf i ever had"

Another one i personally witnessed was a pax trying to put a baby in the overhead compartment thinking it was a baby compartment...

Anyone remmber the old bristols with the basonettes that hung from the hat rack? I don't but i did see that in duxford...

lmml 14/32

Sat Dec 13, 2003 6:04 pm

Boarding an AirMalta B733 at LHR 3 days ago:
A passenger "complained" that he was told .....the seating would be 2-4-2 on todays B737 not a narrow B727.....

JAFA

Sat Dec 13, 2003 6:12 pm

NRT-JFK walking through cabin with a tray of clear plastic glasses filled with water and a bottle of water in the other hand. Pax wakes ups and asks "whts that?" Iwas tempted to say Martini's. Two rows down "can you take this tray?" never mind that both my hands are full.

gardermoen

Sat Dec 13, 2003 7:48 pm

This is from my dad:

He was flying MAS back in the 80s and the stewardess came around witht he drinks trolley and was taking orders, so my dad said "Have you got Remy Martin?"

and her response was "I'll have to go check the passenger list"

SlamClick

Sun Dec 14, 2003 12:03 am

Non-revving into SFO one humid morning, there was a very visible contrail off the outboard ends of the flaps. A young kid in the window seat asked his father what that was. His father said: "They have to dump fuel so they can land."

My usual response to the "is this thing safe?" kind of question is to ask them just how brave they think I am.
Happiness is not seeing another trite Ste. Maarten photo all week long.

csavel

Sun Dec 14, 2003 1:07 am

"My pet peeve is when you fly within a time zone (i.e NY to MIA) and they announce that the time at the destination is _______."

I don't necessarily agree. A person could have been coming from Europe and doesn't necessarily know the borders of US time zones. After all it isn't a straight shot down to Miami, it is sort of Southwest. Also what if the European traveller thinks that perhaps Miami doesn't use Daylight Savings (summer) time because it is closer to the tropics? Chicago is at the Eastern edge of Central Time Zone, most of Indiana is in the Eastern Time Zone, would a pax really be expected to know whether, e.g. Terre Haute, or Hammond is in Eastern or Central. What if it is the first time he or she ever flew there?

I was in Arizona over Christmas about 20 years ago for the first time. One hour ahead of CA. Next summer I went back there from California. Dutifully told my travelling companion to set her watch back as AZ is an hour ahead of CA. I was wrong, no daylight savings in AZ. I wish I had heard the FA's announcement.
I may be ugly. I may be an American. But don't call me an ugly American.

USAFHummer

Sun Dec 14, 2003 1:38 am

On approach, I love listening to pax who are pointing stuff out to their spouses or kids but are completely wrong about it...

Even worse...most of the stuff the general media says about aviation is usually ignorant in at least one sense (yes I expect to get flamed for this, go ahead)

Greg

PS This is my 5000th post  Smile

[Edited 2003-12-13 17:41:32]
Chief A.net college football stadium self-pic guru

backfire

Sun Dec 14, 2003 2:45 am

most of the stuff the general media says about aviation is usually ignorant in at least one sense

Funny that. Most of the stuff I hear from aviation spotters about the media is also usually ignorant in at least one sense.  Big grin

HeyMach

Sun Dec 14, 2003 4:12 am

She put the baby in the carrier in the overhead bin. It had nothing to do with having no seats for the carrier. We did. She just put the baby in the bin. Yikes!!

The ignoramus. Didn't she know it belongs in the hold?

/s/ The grumpy s*d in 5F.

docpepz

Sun Dec 14, 2003 7:54 am

Ah USAFHummer your 5000th post. I congratulate you for your total lack of life. I still recommend you visit the A345 Leadership website and listen to the music to top it off. haha. =)

navega

Sun Dec 14, 2003 8:34 am

I have been in the industry for a while now and travel quite a bit. I find
most and I mean most Americans to be totally ignorant of Geography. They
have no idea for example that Mexico is a foreign country and confuse it
with New Mexico.

I also have had conversation with a Dr. on a flight to Seattle who was excited about seen the White House. I was so shocked that I could not find the way of explaining that the White House was in Washington D.C. and not in the state of Washington.

Once landing in Chicago, a passenger next to me was very excited at seeing
what he thought was the Gulf of Mexico when in fact it was lake Michigan.

Once arriving in Italy an American was seen screaming at a baggage handler
because he could not understand or speak "Spanish Shit".

These are the ignorant comments I hear most on airplanes when I fly. Sad
but true.

If you have children, please make sure they study Geography.

zippyjet

Sun Dec 14, 2003 8:54 am

I get this especially from Boston passengers who make lateness an art form.

Can't you run out and hold the plane?

I'd love to but there is no tether strong enough to lasso a 717!
 Smile/happy/getting dizzy

"Do I get a discount for paying cash? duuuhhh

A cell phone passenger asked the lead F/A if they could hold departure so he could finish his important cell phone call. He was talking to his companion about buying Broadway show tickets!

A big one: After circling the gate number and pointing out the direction the passengers still ask "What gate are we going out of?"

It is Air Tran NOT AIR TRANS!
View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Stephen Dobbins

People still checking bags with no name on them and then tie up the operation as they fill out name tags.

And one of the funniest: Two big Russian dudes checked in for a flight to MCO.
"We go to Mickey;" "Can vee carry these butcher knives on plane? We cut up beef, no people! Promise!

Happy flying everybody  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

[Edited 2003-12-14 01:12:34]
I'm Zippyjet & I approve this message!

Olympus69

Sun Dec 14, 2003 10:22 am

Something about this topic, I'm not quite sure what, reminded me of a full page cartoon in Playboy magazine about 45 years ago. Scene, the passenger cabin of an airliner. The flight crew of 3, all wearing very worried expressions are tiptoeing towards the rear of the plane - carrying parachutes!

I guess you had to see it to really appreciate it.

airxliban

Sun Dec 14, 2003 11:09 am

I was checking in for BA 001 on Concorde and asked the gentlemen behind the desk which aircraft i would be flying on.

he paused for a second and then said...don't you know?

to which i said: i meant which exact concorde it was

and then he responded: G-BOAG

Had I not been referring to the actual plane as opposed to the type, i think he might have been on here saying "i was checking some silly passenger in at the concorde desk and he asked me what kind of plane he was going to travel on."
PARIS, FRANCE...THE BEIRUT OF EUROPE.

fly727

Sun Dec 14, 2003 11:33 am

8:45 am. A 1:00 flight with a hot breakfast. Mexicana Airlines.

F/A: Will you have breakfast sir?
Passenger: What are you serving?
F/A: Cheese and salsa omelette.
Passenger addressing to his child: So, what do you want your omelette filled with, son?

RM  Smile
There are no stupid questions... just stupid people!

m404

Sun Dec 14, 2003 11:48 am

My all time favorite was a U.S. airline employee (fueler) asking if he needed a passport to New Mexico. As for your question of what we should say - The agent told him "Yes"

Just remember that when your in Passenger Service many normal folks are "aliens" in the airport environment. What is stupid to you because you've heard it a million times is new and unknown to the one asking. The truly short sighted one is the one who has no room inside his head to understand that.

One other thing on "lost" passengers" American airports have the worst signage of about any airport because those in charge refuse to put themselves "in the eye of the beholder" so we have to take the time and compensate. As our employers downside the human and scale up the machine these new customers will suffer and me even more lost.
Less sarcasm and more thought equal better understanding

FLAIRPORT

Sun Dec 14, 2003 12:26 pm

I had a f/A on my flight a while back who asked the capt. to show her where the door in the cockpit leading to the engines was, just in case she had to fight an engine fire...

I hope (s)he was fired the next day, or the cpatain told her the door was the boarding door and (s)he jumped out of it!

I was doing a cabin check before we left the gate. I noticed a passenger with her baby on her lap in its car seat. Of course we were full so I could not move anyone to give her an extra seat. I said to her "let me show you how to hold the baby as the car seat must go in the overhead for the flight." I asked if I could do anything else for her. She said "no" and I left. When I was doing the demo I looked at the lady. NO child in her lap. She had put the child and the car seat in the overhead bin.
That has to be the funniest of all! can't believe there were 3 posts with the same thing!

On approach, I love listening to pax who are pointing stuff out to their spouses or kids but are completely wrong about it...

a pilot did that once.... SFO-DFW on DL.... he said "we are going over Death Valley..." 5 minutes later... "From the lowest point to the highest point, Mt. McCinley!"

P.S. congras on 5000!

I have said some stupid things on my last trip that get a couple of looks:
"hmmm looks like we might abort!"
relly loud after landing: "HEY! I'm CALLING YOU ON MY CELL PHONE ON THE TARMAC THANKS TO THE NEW FAA LAWS!!!!"
NEXT FLIGHT: FLL-ATL-HPN on FL

mog

Sun Dec 14, 2003 2:48 pm

The one I like best is when on boarding (I like to get on last) I find somebody sitting in my favourite emergency row window seat and expecting me to exchange seats oftn with their middle/rear opposite toilet seat somewhere without batting an eyelid or for some inane reason.

The best reason I got was when one person told me that he would like to retain the window/emergency because on arrivals he was in a hurry to get off.

Vimanav

Mon Dec 15, 2003 2:16 am

A few classics I encountered are:

1. I used to be working for LH in CCU then. A lady called up the ticket counter (I was a reservations agent) and in response to my greeting "Lufthansa German Airlines, Good Morning" asked in an extremely polished accent "Is that Lufthansa GERMAN Airlines ?" (stress on the 'German'). "Yes, Ma'am" said I. Comes the belter, polished accent and all: "...then could you give me the telephone number of Lufthansa INDIAN Airlines???"  Nuts

2. Again LH. In 1993 LH was just introducing regional language announcements and on flights to India (which still did not have Indian crew) tapes were provided which made the standard welcome address and goodbyes respectively in Hindi. On a couple of initial flights, the crew (who obviously did not know Hindi), played the goodbye message while the passengers boarded and the welcome while they were deplaning. The German Immigrations guys who met the aircraft at the gate had a plane load of Indian passengers laughing hysterically to contend with!!

rgds//Vimanav
Sarfaroshi kii tamannaa ab hamaare dil mein hai, Dekhnaa hai zor kitnaa baazu-e-qaatil mein hai

mog

Wed Dec 17, 2003 2:22 am

Ex-pat Indians flying within India usually have a wee bit of arrogance and superiority in their behaviour, especially if they are with foreigners.

Earlier this evening, I had one of this breed holding up a long line at the Air Sahara counter outside Delhi Airport, insisting that the Air Sahara person could and should check him on to a Jet Airways flight, when:-

a) Check in is done inside the airport.
b) Air Sahara in any case cannot handle Jet Airways.
c) The Air Sahara flight they wanted to get on was full.
d) The ticket was one of the non-endorsable variety.

So there is this MTV accent type desi Indian cribbing loudly to his Japanese or Chinese colleague about how awful service was in India, how airlines were inefficient, how he hated it every time he had to come back to India, generally bad-mouthing everything. There is me, right behind him, having kittens trying to get on board an over-booked flight with an open ticket. There are a variety of other people, just trying to ignore this boor.

And there is, suddenly, his Oriental business partner, shaking my hand and asking me for forgiveness for his friend's insensitivities, thanking all the rest of as for being loyal to our country.

FlyGuyClt

Wed Dec 17, 2003 2:37 am

Anyone going through secruity in NRT, listen to the English Translation.

In a warm Japanese Lady's voice you'll here.

"Welcome to the High Jack Secruity Check" "Please remove ...........

Oh boy !

Safe Flying  Smile
Florida Express, Braniff II and ......

SNBA319

Wed Dec 17, 2003 3:51 am

Two weeks ago i was boarding a BAE146-200 and this guy boarding after me asks the FA at the entrance what aircraft type it is....BAE she replied, after which i couldn't help to add the 'dash 200'.

'why?', i continued, to which he replied 'oh just because i was afraid it was some weird russian aircraft'  Laugh out loud

saying that, the first time i had a good luck at one, a Buzz (rip) @ AMS where i was working, i took a while to figure out what kind of plane it was! a friend of mine once dubbed it the 'flying raisin bun' or in dutch 'vliegende krentebol' Big grin

InnocuousFox

Wed Dec 17, 2003 4:03 am

I was on the way back from a business trip with my team of computer consultants. One of them had a... uh... an intermittent gastrointestinal issue which made being in enclosed spaces with him a harrowing experience.

As we were heading for the gate, the 6 of us were comparing seat assignments. One guy said, "I'm glad I'm in front of Tom rather than behind him!" I queried him as to why that would make a difference. His response was because of the air moving from front to back in the plane once we got airborne. We all looked at him with incredulity. He went on to explain that the forward motion of the plane makes the air in the cabin go backwards. I offered that we kinda took the air along with us in the plane. When he started to vehemently argue that point, I asked him if he had ever felt a 410 kt wind in his face while flying. He admitted that he hadn't and spent the next 20 minutes pondering why.
Dave Mark - Intrinsic Algorithm - Reducing the world to mathematical equations!

garnetpalmetto

Wed Dec 17, 2003 4:09 am

This statement was the acme of ignorance. Heard by me on a flight from IAD to LGA that happened to have a Black flight crew member: Pax 1 to Pax 2: "I sure hope Sambo up front didn't choose the snack. I'm not in the mood for chitlins today."
South Carolina - too small to be its own country, too big to be a mental asylum.

PA110

Wed Dec 17, 2003 4:10 am

My two favorite passenger comments (made to me) when I worked AF checkin at JFK...
1. I don't want a window seat, I just had my hair done! (honest)
2. Where does this flight stop for dinner? (AF 070 nonstop JFK-CDG)

But, the all time best at JFK... family of 5 arrive JFK from DEL via CDG, and ask that their bags be retagged for that same evening's SN nonstop to BRU. I asked if there was some mistake, and was told "no, no mistake". My colleague was in tears, laughing. I was young and stupid... I had to ask... Why on earth did a family of 5 (including 2 small children and a grandmother) fly all the way to JFK just to turn around immediately and head to BRU. His reply was that they really just wanted to go to BRU, but AF would charge too much to change all 5 tickets. I asked why they didn't simply take the train from CDG to BRU, to which he replied... "Excuse me please, I am a former Air Force Officer... I know which way the world is shaped"!!! At that point, I gave up, shut my mouth, and retagged the bags!
Look, it's been swell, but the swelling's gone down.

Jkw777

Wed Dec 17, 2003 4:20 am

I was once at Legoland in Windsor which is quite near to LHR. A BA Concorde came over just after lifting off and everyone just looked up at the sky in awe as it was like.. Wow  Wow!

Anyway, there was a women with her little boy of about 5 years old and she pointed and looked back down to her son and said 'Look, that travels at the speed of light up in space'.

This was 7 years ago and I still remember it to this day! Big grin

Regards,

Justin  Big thumbs up
[email protected] or +447751242989

ultrapig

Wed Dec 17, 2003 4:29 am

My wife and I collect stupid questions one of our all time dumbass questions was related to us by a fa who said she was asked

"How do you open the windows?"

csavel

Wed Dec 17, 2003 4:41 am

I'm not going to underestimate the stupidity of the travelling public, but couldn't some, just some, of the ingnorant comments be a person's attempt at "dry wit?"

Like the one about "how do you open the windows?" or "I don't want a window seat , I just got my hair done."

You see, I can see myself saying something like that, with I hope a little smile to let people know I fancy myself a poor man's Seinfeld.

Just some airline food for thought.

I may be ugly. I may be an American. But don't call me an ugly American.

flyingbronco05

Wed Dec 17, 2003 5:24 am

There are 5 of us now for 247 passengers.

You sure that number is right? AA has 4 FA for their Super 80's.

Isn't it 1 FA for every 16 passengers?

FB05

PS- Say you are flying from Chicago to London I hate when people ask what time it is. Well, do you mean as in chicago time, or london time? Or do you mean East coast time?

Never Trust Your Fuel Gauge

FlyGuyClt

Wed Dec 17, 2003 5:35 am

Can I add a stupid action to this?

The lavatory door has a handle. Just like at home. The Ash Tray will not let you open the door.

You are sitting on your jumpseat near the Lav. The Lav is occupied. The passenger in the aisle looks at you and says, "will they be long" you open the ash tray as to look in the bath room. Close it. Look at the passenger in the eyes and go. "almost done"

AA?? MD80. I thought they went minimum staffing too. Like 3 for what 140 something.

The 5 for 247. Was MC staffing on a DC10.

Safe Flying  Smile

InnocuousFox

Wed Dec 17, 2003 5:36 am

"but couldn't some, just some, of the ingnorant comments be a person's attempt at "dry wit?"

Anyone who thinks jokes like that are even remotely fresh deserves to make the list anyway.

Twistedwhisper

Wed Dec 17, 2003 6:23 am

I have this thing about the safety lecture, I know that it is a vital part of the on board safety and all, but I think it's is close to ignorant to tell people how to operate the seat belt... I realize that they (the f/a:s) have to do that, I still think it is a bit ignorant.
Read between the lines.

PiedmontGirl

Wed Dec 17, 2003 6:34 am

TWISTEDWHISPER:

You'd be amazed at the number of people who don't know how to operate that seat belt. No joke.

In a car, a seat belt releases with a push button of some sort. The seat belts on the airplanes have a top lift buckle for release.

They can generally fasten it OK. What they can't do is unfasten it.

FlyGuyClt

Wed Dec 17, 2003 6:38 am

Twisted:

Ole PI Girl, per the usual. Is correct...There are some twisted people out there. Come fly a 6 day with me. You will never look at it the same way again. On a AMS to DTW flight. I had to teach a refuge family of 5 how to use the bathroom. They were most appreciative. But so was I. I was not cleaning that up one more time.

Safe Flying  Smile

B4REAL

Wed Dec 17, 2003 6:50 am

Flyingbronco05:

In the US I think it is 1 f/a for 50 pax.
B4REAL, spelled like it sounds & @RickVanover on Twitter

PiedmontGirl

Wed Dec 17, 2003 7:08 am

Flyguyclt:

On a AMS to DTW flight. I had to teach a refuge family of 5 how to use the bathroom. They were most appreciative. But so was I. I was not cleaning that up one more time.

I've heard F/As talk about having to teach refugees how to use the bathroom facilities. The ladies and gentlemen who came from Braniff used to fly tons of Vietnamese refugees, and these folks just didn't know what to make of an airplane lav.

Twistedwhisper

Wed Dec 17, 2003 7:25 am

Jhopper: I heard that one too... my friend was flying from Stockholm to Gothenburg (about 350 miles). I asked what he was flying, and he goes: 747?
I replied: Um...nah...737 maybe? There's a slight difference... hardly noticeable though...  Big grin
Read between the lines.

Twistedwhisper

Wed Dec 17, 2003 7:38 am

PiedmontGirl: Well... to know how to unfasten it is actually more important than to know how to fasten it... I mean in case of an emergency, you don't want to start asking questions about how to operate the buckle: Say, I'm awfully sorry to bother you, but seem to have an issue here with my belt...
I see the point of mentioning it at the safety brief  Wink/being sarcastic
Read between the lines.

eastbay

Wed Dec 17, 2003 7:39 am

Back when I was a Captain in the Beech 1900, one of the passengers poked his head into the cockpit during boarding and said "so the jet test didn't go so well, eh?" What? The guy was under the impression that propellor aircraft were piloted by those who failed their checkrides in jets! Almost snapped at the guy but managed to compose myself and set him straight.

InnocuousFox

Wed Dec 17, 2003 7:46 am

When I fly, I often sit there with a road atlas on my lap keeping track of where we are. I like seeing what various cities and land features look like from the air. Also, I get a great idea of the route we are taking. It also kills a lot of time. It seems like ALWAYS I get some moron passenger - or even an FA (no offense to those that may prowl these boards) - that asks "So, are we lost?" or something to that effect. It is usually delivered with either a snideness that implies that I have no business second guessing the pilot or with a quirky smile that begs the question "aren't I a complete riot to have come up with that on my own?"

Just STFU and leave me alone!  Angry

Aloha717200

Wed Dec 17, 2003 7:55 am

From LHR-SFO (a 12 hour flight): "So are you guys going to just go right back or do you get to stay here in the Bay Area for a while?"

A million times over: "so does the airline pay for your hotel room when you layover?"

These actually don't seem so stupid. Forgive me, but I don't know the answers to these either. Does your airline compensate your hotel stay during a layover?

dtwclipper

Wed Dec 17, 2003 8:22 am

Years ago I ran into, or I should say he ran into me at JFK and he tried to explain that he wanted to go to laagaa. I had no idea what he was talking about until I looked at his ticket.

He of course wanted to go to LGA!
Compare New York Air, the Airline that works for your Business

PiedmontGirl

Wed Dec 17, 2003 8:43 am

TWISTEDWHISPER:

PiedmontGirl: Well... to know how to unfasten it is actually more important than to know how to fasten it... I mean in case of an emergency, you don't want to start asking questions about how to operate the buckle: Say, I'm awfully sorry to bother you, but seem to have an issue here with my belt...
I see the point of mentioning it at the safety brief

Not a problem.  Smile It looks stupid on the surface. Anyone can fasten one of those belts. However, I've seen people looking for something on the buckle to squeeze or press to get the belt to release. Also, lots of folks will fasten it with the lift plate of the buckle on the down side. I always had them turn it over. Makes the release kind of difficult if you don't.

Aloha717200:

From LHR-SFO (a 12 hour flight): "So are you guys going to just go right back or do you get to stay here in the Bay Area for a while?"

A million times over: "so does the airline pay for your hotel room when you layover?"

I don't know of any airline that expects crews to work a 12 hour flight, spend three hours turning the plane around, and go right back. That would be 2x12 hour flights + 1x3 hour turn + 2 hour ahead report at the front end would make a total of 29 hours on duty with no rest or sleep. Just not reasonable for any human to do.

Every large corporation pays for their employees' hotel rooms when they are traveling on business. Airlines are no exception. When crews fly trips, they are working (traveling for business). They're not on vacation. So, yes the airline pays for the hotel rooms.  Smile

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos