Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

SingaporeFA

RE: AA, USA Flight Attendant Speaks

Thu Dec 04, 2003 3:11 pm

As a FA for a major South East Asian carrier....i have met all sorts of passengers.Americans..British..Australian and of course Asians.Most americans that i have encountered are polite and very appreciative of the service we give them because i guess they compare us to their airlines back home.The British are more reserved but they still tend to be polite.The Australians are the friendliest and easiest going.Asians to me are the biggest culprit at being rude especially my fellow country man.They have the attitude that i paid for this flight i own the airline.And they expect service to be top notch even on a 1 hour flight.You greet them at the door...they just walk pass you..or worse...they say "newspaper".No "please"no "thank you".This is the point where i observe these people and know that they are the trouble makers.Announcement for mobile phones to be turned off..2 seconds later i hear a phone ringing in the cabin and the passenger starts talking.I tell them to turn it off but they just ignore you and its usually same culprit who demaded the newspaper.But of course not all are like that...some are nice and polite but those are the rare ones.
To those non FAs..i just would like u to experience for one month what it is like to be a FA.And i am not talking about working on a domestic US sector where only the infamous pretzels and drinks are served.I am talking about one month working on an intercontinental flight where you are on your feet for 10 to 16 hours serving 2 meals and have nearly 400 people vying for your attention.After that one month then please let us know how u feel.
As for Greg..please please please take your $5000 somewhere else and not on my flights.We dont need people like you on board.

flyboyqf

Thu Dec 04, 2003 4:03 pm

SingaporeFA,
Great post. Your point about the non FAs experiencing what its like for just one month was priceless!! I can just see their reactions. I think people look at us while we are working and figure that we must have the easiest job..i know i did!! When i started flying, boy were my eyes opened!! The passengers dont know that while we are moving down the aisle towards the galley we may have 5 different things to remember so when they ask us for a water or a pillow or "where are we now exactly", we may not be our usual gracious selves at that moment in time. I dont think the ordinary traveller is even aware of the huge safety aspect our jobs entail. The constant checks/training/safety awareness that is drilled into us. Unfortunately people see us as glorified waiters who are there at their beck and call...even if they have paid next to nothing for a ticket.
I still love my job and wouldnt want to do anything else. Luckily the jerks are in the minority (For now anyway!!)
Happy flying

SingaporeFA

Thu Dec 04, 2003 4:40 pm

I am sorry about the statement about the US domestic sector.Even though only drinks are served..but imagine taking off and landing 6 times in a day.I can imagine how tiring it is and after the 4th sector..i am sure most people would be exhausted.We here are only allowed a maximum 4 takeoffs and landings and the sectors are only 35mins each..we serve hot beverages and juices only..but i tell u...after the 3rd sector..sometimes i dont know where we are flying to.LOL
Flyboygf...thanks for your post too.Most people have no idea how much training we have to go through especially in safety.Here we have equal amounts of time spent on service training also.Our basic training can last up to 4 months..so imagine the amount of things we have to learn.

Tiger119

Thu Dec 04, 2003 5:38 pm

I fly ATLEAST five times a year for the past 25+ years and really do not recall any problems with an attendant. As a passenger, I try to keep in mind that there are anywhere between 50 to 300 OTHER passengers on board this craft so my petty request (for a drink or what ever) may take some time or may not happen at all! "@#it Happens." I have however seen a few "unhappy campers" who's tails should be in their seats making about 50% of the noise in the cabin (that's before pushback and engine start). The flight attendants do not get nearly enough compensation and not nearly enough recognition of their contribution to the successful flights that MOST passengers have on a regular basis!!!

I was going to address the earlier comment from the poster who mentioned spending $5,000.00 for a flight but I think I will keep my opinion to that subject to myself for the time being.
Flying is the second greatest thrill known to mankind, landing is the first!

Ryanair!!!

Thu Dec 04, 2003 6:04 pm

To GREG, I HOPE I DO NOT SIT NEXT TO YOU BECAUSE I HATE RUDE AND DEMANDING PASSENGERS LIKE YOU. I PREFER TO ENJOY THE SURROUNDINGS OF THE SERENE PREMIUM CABIN WITHOUT YOU DEMANDING AND NIT-PICKING ON THE POOR FAs... Seesh... hard to believe that we still have people like that flying the skies. Lets see if you still have that attitude on judgement day and I wanna see you do it when the world is ending. Come back down to earth, you are not God! $5000 does not make you one...

What an obnoxious person.

It is not easy being a Flight Attendant. Why not just one day, for those who are flying, just stand on the aisle and look towards the end of the plane. You see nothing but a sea of faces and imagine, ALL OF THEM WANT SOMETHING FROM YOU. I get claustrophobic thinking about it. Many of us don't realise because we only sit at our seats. We are only aware of the area around us. For airlines with PTVs, even worse, we only look ahead at the TV screen.

Welcome to my starry one world alliance, a team in the sky!

aviaction

Thu Dec 04, 2003 6:24 pm

JJeff:
"Seems to me that these troublemakers are usually either people that don't travel much and/ or those that are generally just surly in all of their interpersonal relationships. On more than one occasion, I have publicly called fellow passengers to task for inappropriate behavior toward flight crews. Kinda feel its my duty to let them know that their co-passengers do NOT at all condone their behavior"
It is good to hear that "civil courage" has not entirely disappeared  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

There is one more reason though why some passengers become troublemakers on board. We all here in the forum have something in common, namely a passion for flying. Although it is very difficult for us to picture it, not everybody shares thís passion.

Actually for many, many people flying is an ordeal, something horrible, something really frightening. Not too many passengers, especially the men, however, would ever admit it. And we all know that fear really changes the way one acts. Above said is certainly no excuse for rude behaviour but it is an explanation.

Civilized flying for all of us
Aviaction

German by nationality, European by heart!

Tiger119

Thu Dec 04, 2003 6:32 pm

This question should probably be placed in another thread, although it does involved unruly passengers, etc. I do not fly outside North America (I fly US, Canada, Central America and the Caribbean). Are there these type of problems in Europe, Asia, Australia and Africa? I have friends/colleagues/family members that fly all over the world and they never mention any troubles with flying.

David

FA4UA

Thu Dec 04, 2003 6:53 pm

Thanks Canuckpaxguy!

by the way, we must give credit where credit is due... I fly for UA not BA out of Heathrow. Thanks though!

Tiger119: it's not just Americans. I've had a nasty run in with a Scottish Couple who called me a racist (I'm white with red/blonde hair and freckles) towards Scottish and claimed that I had hidden all the Chicken Economy meals and was only offering them the Salmon choice! (LHR-LAX) We spoke round and round for twenty minutes in the aisle about how sorry I was there was no Chicken and how there was absolutely no way for me to pull a chicken out of my butt. I also expressed how angry I was that they pulled this racist statement too! The passengers around them were actually laughing at this absurd couple!

I've also had about 300 Indians insist for tea that was hotter, even though it was as physically hot as one could make it onboard without starting a fire. I've been told by a number of them what terrible service it was because we weren't serving the tea hot enough. I literally brewed the tea myself and watched it on the machine and brought it to them directly-- still not hot enough! (LHR-DEL)

I could go on and on... It's not Americans, it's not Scottish, it's not Indians, it's just people who have never worked in customer service before or aren't used to flying.

FA 4 UA
The debate continues... Starwood or Hyatt... which is better

Tiger119

Thu Dec 04, 2003 7:01 pm

FA4UA,
Well, I have always and will always respect what you attendants do and feel sorry for anyone having to put up with that crap. If I were you, I wouldn't sweat it for those few people that spend energy making themselves look like the idiots that are idiots normally.

David

mog

Thu Dec 04, 2003 7:18 pm

I would hate to generalise, but there is something about flying domestic within the US that seems to bring out the angst in both passengers and cabin crew. I say this after 30 years in the traveling business, variously, worldwide, as well as work experience on passenger ships, calling US ports amongst other places.

The one bigtime incorrect fact in the original post is the statement made by Airlinebiznut that one flight attendant is met with 150-200 arrogant people. To my knowledge, the number should be shared, and not all passengers are arrogant.

The other error is about passengers placing trash in the aisles and putting bare feet up. Well, I don't see US airlines providing trash receptacles and I don't see them specifying dress codes, either. I once placed candy wrappers into the barf bag on a United flight going LAX to SJC and got my ear chewed by the F/A, so fine, next time it goes into the pouch in front and your cleaning crew can hunt for it.

Courtesy begets courtesy, and I think F/A Airlinebiznut here has got a chip on his/her shoulder if s/he starts out with assuming that 4 out of 5 people go down the wrong aisle in a wide body and that if I am talking into a cellphone then I am looking down on him/her.

Far as I am concerned, an F/A is there primarily for safety purposes. Nothing more than that on short flights up to say 3-5 hours duration, barring some water and some pre-packed food. Beyond that, on long flights, if the airline has promised a level of service that amongst other things implies that an F/A will be at my beck and call, then please take it up with your airline management, not me when I ask for an extra bottle of Orange Juice, or cannot smile back at you because I am simply too tired to do so.

Having said that, there is always that chemistry which prompts social interaction between strangers, not passenger/FA. Maybe Airlinebiznut needs to start looking at us passengers as other stressed human beings, too.

Let me put it this way, I've worked on gas tankers and I've worked on tv, and these were two high stress jobs. I work in infotech now, and that's bad hair days, too. But nothing is more stressful for an airline passenger than the boarding process, so could you please allow for us, too, as we shuffle past you?

airlinebiznut
Topic Author

Thu Dec 04, 2003 8:56 pm

A very nice couple came up to me the other day and the wife said:

"We are so excited! We just switched to AA. We joined the frequent flyer program and are going to do all of our flying with you guys. We used to fly Delta" I was shocked!

They had totally caught me off guard. I did not know what to say. Here is what came out:

"Thank you so much! We appreciate that! (In the back of my mind was the flight we had just done. A-300 (very dirty plane), MIA-BOS, 1:30P dep., 2:45 flying time and no meal or even choice of treats.)

so I continued " We have a lot of improvement coming in the near future, so stay tuned!" I made that up because we are just so ashamed that AA is treating not only us, but the passengers with a very disrespectful, "oh, they'll be around" attitude.

MOG

"The one bigtime incorrect fact in the original post is the statement made by Airlinebiznut that one flight attendant is met with 150-200 arrogant people. To my knowledge, the number should be shared, and not all passengers are arrogant."

I must tell you that when you are the directing flight attendant at the door of the A-300, you do, in fact, have contact with virtually every passenger. My greeting is: "Hello, may I have your seat number" or "Good morning, your seat number please"

The responses I get are "Hi, seat 12J" AND " I KNOW WHERE I AM GOING!" (as they go down the wrong aisle) or they just ignore.

THIS IS MY POINT:

COMMON COURTESY

In today's world (in general), we are dealing with alot of people and a lot of stress. If an experienced traveler has a "chip on their shoulder" when boarding a plane or if they are just trying to appear as if air travel is such a regular thing to them that saying "hello" to the flight crew is not even necessary, then they can not expect US to then do cartwheels down the aisle to thrill them and win back their attention. We are just too tired.

I am not making excuses for the F/As that are chit chatting with each other during boarding, but have you ever thought of the following:

Corporate-We have been there for many years putting our best foot forward as executive after executive has come and gone taking millions with them in exit packages. Been told how we are nothing but a liability as we strive to prove them wrong with good service and high ratings. In the end we are still given the message that the MBA's at headquarters are the reason for the success. But when the bad times come......it's all because of US. Now we not only make too much money, but our "soar" attitudes have brought down the ratings. Only lately has AA begun to say that the F/A's are important to their relationship with the passengers and this is only after a rumor went around that we may be planning a holiday sick out. Even the CEO of AA, out a letter in the inflight magazine to head this off.

Passengers-God Love them. I think a sickout could have happened if we did not care as much as we do about the passengers and the grief it would have caused them. They have given us a lot of support during the years, but by the time some of them get to us now, we are a little down in the dumps and we are sorry about that. Unfortunately, just as the bad F/A has left many with a sour view of US flight service...The same thing occurs the other way. It may not be right, but it happens.

F/A's at AA have been told the following:

-We are not worth a crew meal
-We are not worth a proper nights rest
-We ARE a piece of equipment being moved from point A to point B
-We are too expensive

There are more, but this has been in addition to years of psychological warfare to break us down and divide us as a group. We have been on a guilt trip since day 1 and to have the passengers then see us as a "use it until it fades, then throw it away" object is sometimes more than we can face.

Think of another thing: AA took over TWA for BILLIONS and now is totally dismantling the STL hub. Meanwhile, the F/A and other employees are now so valuable when it comes to giving up our pay.

I think that AA and others are going to have to institute some "Ritz Carlton" type training AND begin to rebrand themselves by telling the public about this approach. Maybe then we can put crews and passengers on the same wavelength. We must get management to stop being "on the take" and start thinking about the company and our country as a whole.

Truth is: The F/A's and other front line employees hold the success of the company in our hands. We can turn on the smile AND turn it off very easily. As long as the message is out there that F/A's are just as good as their last flight...well, good luck getting the service you want!

Cessna172RG

Thu Dec 04, 2003 9:14 pm

Regardless of whatever airline I fly, whether I like the airline or not, I have always treated the cabin crew with respect. From simple things to helping out with trash to making conversation, I appreciate their service and I always get a smile. I seem to be one of those appreciative passengers that the flight crews always can point out in the crowd of 200+ passengers onboard. I have not gotten anything for free (like a cocktail unless they're offered for free) but I do go out of my way to make the cabin crew's duities as easy as possible. I understand how busy and stressed they can become, and I feel that my efforts to assist even in a small way makes their day.

I don't complain, I don't throw a fit, and if I have a request, I make a point of saying "there's no hurry, whenever you have the time or if another FA can help out." On Alaska, I come into the plane, making conversation with the flight crew as I use the lavatory before flight, and I'm often rewarded with the exit row seat whether it has been assigned to me or available. This is regardless of the flight crew on the plane. I don't know anyone, I just treat the flight crew with the same respect that they'd expect from your average paying customer. It's a shame they don't get it these days from other passengers.

Kudos to you, and to all flight attendants. It's a tough job. I hope that in the future there will be more understanding passengers like myself who will fly with you!
Save the whales...for dinner!!!

FlyGuyClt

Thu Dec 04, 2003 9:48 pm

Adam T:

I have been flying for 17 years. I live in CLT but commute elsewhere  Smile See you at Harris Teeter sometime ..lol
Florida Express, Braniff II and ......

SingaporeFA

Fri Dec 05, 2003 12:49 am

With all this talk about nasty and rude passengers we have forgotten about those who were an absolute delight to serve.It only takes one passenger to make our day..by simply saying "thanks for a lovely flight" or "see u again in 2 weeks!"To those passengers i want to say a big thank you for your kind words and of course your business.You will always be most welcomed back on my flights.

airlinebiznut
Topic Author

Fri Dec 05, 2003 1:10 am

Here's to you SingaporeFA! I love your attitude!

Airlinebiznut

PiedmontGirl

Fri Dec 05, 2003 4:14 am

Along with the reduction in service came a reduction in the number of flight attendants on board most aircraft.

Sometimes it's not just a lack of stuff, it's also a lack of staff. The minimum staffing on a US carrier is determined by FAA safety regulations. The FAA does not concern itself with whether or not passenger service is good or bad, or whether the airplane has one, two, or three cabins, but only with whether or not there is enough staff to evacuate the airplane in an emergency.

Let me use 757s and 733s or 4s as examples. Lots of airlines operate the 75 and 733 or 4, so it's familiar to most people. The cabin configurations will vary slightly from airline to airline, but they're pretty typical ball park figures.

Most airlines that operate the 75 do so in two cabins. F/C usually has 20 odd passengers and coach somewhere in the neighborhood of 160. Therefore, the airplane is certificated for and can operate with four F/As.

These airlines often operated the 75 with five, sometimes six if there was meal service in both cabins. They are now operated with four. If there's nothing but beverage service in both cabins, this arrangement is not too bad because you've got one working F/C and three working coach. However, when there is a meal in F/C, two of the four work F/C leaving two to work 160 passengers in coach. This is an 80:1 working ratio. Bad for the flight attendants. Bad for the passengers. Bad all the way around.

A 733/4 is virtually always operated by the major carriers in two cabins. Typically 12 in F/C and 136 in coach. This means one F/A for F/C and two for 136 in coach. Sometimes the F/C F/A can get to coach to lend a hand (usually trash pick up) and sometimes not. It depends on how demanding the passengers in F/C are and whether or not there's still some kind of food up there. In the coach cabin that's a 68:1 working ratio. Not good for anyone.

As a point of comparison, SW operates 733s with 150 pax in an all coach configuration and three F/As. This is a 50:1 working ratio. Perfectly reasonable. JetBlue operates 320s with 156 pax in an all coach configuration and four F/As. This is a 39:1 working ratio. Absolutely outstanding.

Delta's spin off, Song, is a 75 with 199 pax, all coach, and four F/As. That's a hair under a 50:1 ratio. Again, perfectly reasonable.

And......for anyone who's wondering: Flight attendants who work for the Big Six do not make more money than the ones working for Southwest and jetBlue. They used to make a little more money, but not anymore.

Also.......for F/As who work these all coach airplanes and think you could do so and so in F/C and then run to coach. You couldn't.

I can remember passengers complaining to me about Eastern Airlines. At that time EA was operating 99 pax DC-9s with two F/As. One for F/C and one for coach. The coach cabin had around 85 passengers. At that time I was working an all coach long 72 with 164 pax and 4 F/As. We did very good service. Instead of beating up the EA F/A along with him, I would point out that she was trying to work somewhere in the neighborhood of 85 pax alone and I had about 40-45, so, of course, on the same flight segment, I could do more for each passenger. ("More" can mean anything from a second cup of coffee to a short conversation to finding him another barf bag to making sure his pillow had a clean cover.) And....it was the same flight segment because we were in direct competition with EA. I would note that it was very sad that EA's management had been making poor financial decisions for so long that they could no longer properly staff their airline and seemed to have no concern for passenger service....and ".......could I get you another cup of coffee?" (Beeeeeeg smile)

I figured those EA flight attendants had enough problems without me contributing to them by encouraging someone to be nasty to them the next time he had to ride on EA. I put the monkey on the back of the people it belonged on.

I've seen on this board (not in this discussion) the idea expressed that an airplane has to have a flight attendant for every floor level exit. This is not true. 733s have four floor level exits and normally operate with three F/As. 320s have four and usually operate, in two cabins, with three.

Greg

Fri Dec 05, 2003 6:21 am

For all the complaining you do, I'm surprised many of you are still flight attendants! You make it sound like the most demanding job in the world. If your that unhappy---quit. I hated my first job too...and left. Best decision I ever made--and the most lucrative.

There seems to be some overriding notion on this forum that being a f/a is somehow magical and/or incredibly difficult. It does not require any specific prior experience (I know of an f/a who was a vet technician, another who worked as a sales clerk at Macy's). It does not require higher education (one only has a high school education, the other dropped out of college). So what is this huge deal? 99.9999999% of the time you cater to folks on planes...period.

While I certainly treat ever person with respect (they may be my next client), the fact that I am not overly friendly with the cabin crew is of no consequence. I'm on an aircraft looking for safe, reliable transportation---not a best friend.

aviaction

Fri Dec 05, 2003 6:34 am

Greg,

Does this mean you only (or let me say: mainly) treat the people around you with respect, because they might be your next clients? Well, if you do, I really hope that you will never ever find yourself in a position where you desperately need a friend.

And, take it from me, a "friend" not neccessarily means somebody you have known for ages. It might as well be somebody whom you have just met. Somebody who senses that something is the matter with you - and reaches out to you. To lift you up, to cheer you up ... to comfort you.

Here's to friendship - in all shapes and colours  Smile/happy/getting dizzy
Aviaction

DeltaMD11

Fri Dec 05, 2003 6:37 am

Airlinebiznut,
For one, I could not agree with you more. The ones that I can disagree with are those here that take the attitude that "if you don't like the rude behavior then just quit". I have seen some people treat flight attendants like they are dogs. "Get me this, get me that, while I'm young please, isn't that your job" etc. etc.

First off, I appreciate flight attendants and what they do. They are there to make our flight as comfortable as possible and serve as a trained safety medium when something goes wrong. I make it a personal goal everytime I come down that jetway to greet the flight attendant at the door with a smile, and good evening, how are you---something to that affect. If they ask me if I need help finding my seat, my usual response is: "No thank you, I know where it is". Additionally, during the flight I usually will read or do some work if I happen to bring it with me. If the Flight Attendants are back in the galley and have soem down time after a meal service or if no meal service is offered and they are back there chatting, I usually will amble on back and say hello and chat with them for a while. In my experience, they enjoy having someone to talk to (and crack a few jokes). As evidence of this, the picture below was taken summer of 2002, DL1977, enroute ATL-SAN N183DN:

http://www.msnusers.com/mypicture?user=4263~5AAAAAAjACF!0oCUEJ31VSVW0u77!c70iqCx3PxD*RKJ8i!ZiDQKm0Ew$$~5AAAAAAkAEp27JID37XN4J5fkb4wwhbDseb4vddeaybyI$
Too often we ... enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. - John Fitzgerald Kennedy

PiedmontGirl

Fri Dec 05, 2003 6:38 am

While those EA flight attendants are on my mind here, let me add that I have since worked with flight attendants who flew for EA. The common belief is that they were rude, lazy, and dumb. Nothing could be more untrue. I've found them to be overwhelmingly nice, hardworking, intelligent people.

PiedmontGirl

Fri Dec 05, 2003 7:03 am

Aviaction, there are a tiny number of people on this planet for whom no one can do anything. They either won't accept it or have managed to run everyone off and, in doing so, made sure there is no one to offer it.

DeltaMD11, an especially pleasant passenger can, in fact, just about make a flight attendant's whole day. Good for you!

airlinebiznut
Topic Author

Fri Dec 05, 2003 7:04 am

Greg. I can tell you that your personality comes shining through so solidly with each and every email you write. One of the main things we pick up on the job is a keen sense for picking up signals from people. The signal you send is one of superiority. I was wondering how long it would take you to refer to your career change as "very lucrative". Surprise, surprise! You have no idea of the life anyone else has outside of their airline job. How much education they have or how much money they have for that matter.

Should ANY person in ANY job be treated poorly just for being there and because of the prejudices of someone like you? I don't think so. That would be the same thing as having something against attorneys.

Truth is that many people, including you, I suppose were not able to work for an airline either because you were not hired or because you could not afford the things you wanted on the salary. Some of us manage to make it work and it makes people like you a bit jealous. So you choose to take a shot whenever you can to let us know that you supposedly have it better.

What I want to get across to you is: We are not impressed!

FlyGuyClt

Fri Dec 05, 2003 7:34 am

Did I miss something? None of us stated we hated our job GREGGIE. And everyone is allowed to vent now and then. God knows you type venem and just protray a very evil little personality. Also, we are off the airplane and on a level field with you now. So, stop looking down your nose. It only makes you look like a fool. I have been flying for 17 years now. And have won our base Service Champion Award twice in the last 4 years. How do you win this ? It is from passenger input. So while I vent on the board. I am a professional in the air and anytime I am on duty, being paid to put up with the likes of you and all the grief you can dish. And I'll do it day in and day out with a smile. Happy and Safe flying for all my collegues and those who appriciate great customer service !

Cheers !

PiedmontGirl

Fri Dec 05, 2003 7:41 am

Flyguyclt:

>>GREGGIE<<

You bad boy! You just made my spit my coffee all over my monitor. Tsk! Tsk!  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

jeffrey1970

Fri Dec 05, 2003 8:22 am

Flyguyclt and Airlinebiznut,

I agree with both of you. I for one believe that if you want to be treated nice by the flight attendants, or anyone for that matter, you must be nice to them.

God bless through Jesus,

Jeff
God bless through Jesus, Jeff

FlyGuyClt

Fri Dec 05, 2003 8:48 am

PI Girl:

At least coffee does not stain as bad as Piedmont Punch  Smile

What can I say? I have dry humor  Smile

PiedmontGirl

Fri Dec 05, 2003 8:57 am

What can I say. I love dry humor.  Smile

And.....Piedmont Punch didn't stain unless you were wearing something white. It was kind of a beige color.  Smile

industrybuff

Fri Dec 05, 2003 9:55 am

Its interesting to read airlinebiznut's post regarding the way he feels he is treated as an AA crew member. Ive viewed this site a number of times in the past few days reading the responses. Ive only just realized that I could click on the user name to open a profile.

To all of you who have posted on this site, Im pleased to announce that I recently fly in First on an AA 763 MIA/LAX with the author of this post serving in First. We had a great chat onboard about the role of AA crew - the cost cutting and cutbacks and overall conditions.

Being an FA outside of the US, I was stunned to hear of the conditions that AA crew work under. My airline provides onboard crew meals (they wouldnt dare not) and also gives fairly adequate crew rest time at a slip port.

On his topic of pax treatment of crew - I was totally friendly and polite to the author and his EXCELLENT Crew in First. The purser was a wonder and we chatted extensively about her upcoming trip to Thailand. one of the crew on my flight even gave me a bottle of french bubbly to - wait for it "Say thankyou for being so friendly and polite"... That was the sweetest thing and made me feel really really special.

Keep up the great work in your career airlinebiznut - you were a joy to fly with.

Cheers

airlinebiznut
Topic Author

Fri Dec 05, 2003 9:59 am

We love you Industrybuff!!!!!!!!!!!! You were such a delight. You must add also, that you were a full fare passenger and yes, you were incredibly polite. See, we even let you sit in our "high" comfort jump seat!

I cant wait to fly with you again! What a surprise! Thank you for flying American!

captaink

Fri Dec 05, 2003 10:08 am

Airlinebiznut Great post. I didn't have to patience to read all the replies but I think I get the gist of general support.

I don't want to be a complainer, but as a passenger service agent, I kind of know the feeling. And sometimes it is very difficult to smile bright at 4am, when I should be sleeping. One passenger told me, it is so nice to see at least someone has a smile so early in the morning. That was encouraging.

On the other hand, I was checkin a passenger and was so into my duties I forgot to greet her nicely and smile, and she noticed. She was like "why isn't anyone smiling on this airline, I won't fly it again." Well I had some making up to do which I did I think  Smile but the point is that, in the service industry, you almost have to be superhuman, with great emotional control to do the job perfectly. It is great when customers realize that and go a little easier on us.  Smile
Look Up

EdT

Fri Dec 05, 2003 10:29 am

Airlinbiznet;
Before I read any other posts/opinions, It's worthy for me to say that your post is very well written, and I can partially empathize with your as a vet in the travel industry (hotels), but do thing that flight attendants who can put up with Johnny Q. Public and do their jobs well are *surely the salt of the earth*, so to speak.

Thanks for your thoughts and know that there are still quite a few of us who appreciate what you do in every way!!!

PiedmontGirl

Fri Dec 05, 2003 10:29 am

Industrybuff, how absolutely wonderful of you!

You must be a treat as a passenger!

airlinebiznut
Topic Author

Fri Dec 05, 2003 10:33 am

EdT

Thanks a lot. We appreciate you guys too. The hotel employees deal with a lot to stay on top and it is not easy. Ahhh the feel of a comfortable room at the end of a long day is fantastic.

Take care,
Airlinebiznut

KDHawaii777

Fri Dec 05, 2003 10:46 am

Very good comments Airlinebiznut...Let me add one more thing that F/A needs to be aware...

When I boarded NW airline from HNL-SEA (DC-10-40), i had my boarding pass and knew where the seat number was. Remember,I am deaf. The F/A was talking to me. I had no clue what the F/A was talking about. I told F/A that I am deaf. F/A didn't say anything and gave me a smiley face. It looked like F/A did not know how to deal with me. You may want to write a very short note what you would like to tell the deaf passenger. Just suggestion.

industrybuff

Fri Dec 05, 2003 10:56 am

Thanks airlinebiznut for your response. It was a real treat to fly with you on that MIA/LAX aswell as paula and the purser. All three of you are AA superstars.

Did you remember, we have similar names !

You can email me at [email protected]

Cheers !

canuckpaxguy

Sat Dec 06, 2003 12:12 pm

Ok...I am going WAY off topic...Sorry.

Airlinebiznut: If you EVER need a job in Canada. Look me up!
Captaink: You hit the nail on the head about NEVER letting your guard down.

I work for a major Canadian corporation and am currently in charge of revamping our regional customer service initiatives. In the last year, I've learned soooo much about what we've been doing wrong...it's a little scary...I used to believe that outstanding service came naturally to those who simply cared.

I listened to a motivational speaker last week talk about service etc. and he shared a story about a moderately snide comment that was made by an F/A (I'll leave the airline's name out) towards his grand-daughter. The comment was insignificant in the eyes of the F/A, but made the world of difference to this little girl on her first flight. This infuriated the grandfather, who just happens to make his living touring North America talking about customer service. He has shared this story with over 30,000 people (and names the airline). So remember, those insignificant comments and actions really make a HUGE difference.

The trick is to consistently deliver an improved customer experience every day. This is no easy challenge.

Some of you seem genuinely interested in this topic. From my research, I would really suggest picking up the motivational video "Give 'em The Pickle". It's an 18 minute video that will change how you see yourself as a customer service representative, no matter if you're the president or on the front-lines....and no, I'm not getting any royalties off the video...I just thought it was the best I've seen.

Sorry again to be so off topic. Just a point of interest I suppose.

G

zippyjet

Sun Dec 07, 2003 3:10 pm

Very eloquent and well written!
 Smile
I'm Zippyjet & I approve this message!

deltaflyertoo

Sun Dec 07, 2003 5:52 pm

I travel a great deal a lot of it on AA. I have to say the f/as on AA are way cool and very professional. One poster had the excuse of being rude that they are weary after hours of delays, gate changes, crowds etc. I too have experienced that. BUT, what is nicer than after all of that is down boarding a 767 and having a friendly face greet you. AND, out of all the airline employees you deal w/ to get there, the flight attendants are the only group that will ACTUALLY be stuck w/ you on the journey should it be delayed! Think of all the times any of you have ever had a massive delay on the ground- a ground stop at your destination, being # 33 for take off, or in the air, having to circle because of a storm for 2 hours, or being diverted. You never, ever, see the flight attendants stop smiling or loose interest in the flight. Believe me, I've been stuck in some knarly situations over the years at AA and the I've always witnessed the flight attendants doing their best.

Finally, I have to say in general, people get weird when they have to travel in pacts or groups...no smiles, sour attitude, defensive posture somewhat. I've watched peeps ignore flight attendants or be rude. All I can say, is that people get into this shy mode when they travel. Its interesting because I know all of these people aren't like this at work, with their families or friends. But stick them on a 767 from LA to NY and they just turn stone cold.

kevin752

Sun Dec 07, 2003 6:16 pm

AA Is a fine airline and I will continue to fly on them. I agree withflybiznut all the way. Especially if the flight is long you want a good set of passengers. I fly to Europe all the time and I am very courteous to the F/A's that are all over the plane if they ask me if they can help me locate my seat I always do. I feel very welcomed when a flight attendant stands at the door. AA, Lufthansa and Southwest do a good job of taking care of their passengers.
"Keep Climbing"

aviaction

Sun Dec 07, 2003 8:15 pm

Deltaflyertoo
Yes, I do agree with ... mostly.

It was my post you referred to, relative to the "excuse" for being rude. However, it is definitely not an excuse, it was my attempt to find an explanation for that behaviour.

And to find an explanation for what you described in your last paragraph, have a look at my post (no 55).

We all here have something in common, we just love flying and everything connected to it. What we still find interesting, intriguing, worth watching ... can for other people already mean a hassle, causing strong reactions.

And please, do not underestimate the effect of "fear of flying". Not many people admit suffering from it, but many, many actually do. And it shows!

kaitak

Sun Dec 07, 2003 10:43 pm

I don't think it's limited to the airline industry, but in everyday life; getting a smile from someone - even someone you let out in front of you in traffic - is so much nicer than a frown or a curt remark; maybe I'm more sensitive than most, but rudeness is something that really puts me off. It doesn't matter how much I pay for a flight, I expect that as a "given". I have absolutely no objection to paying for drinks, choccies etc; as long as the crew is pleasant, I am happy and I find that being polite and charming (being Irish, this comes as standard  Wink/being sarcastic)) brings out the best in people. It makes the passenger's day more pleasant and I daresay, the FA's as well. It's the same if you're in a hotel, on a bus, at a bank, wherever; simple human psychology works wonders.

Incidentally, do you think it would make a difference if FAs were renamed as hostesses or stewardesses. Now, I now, nowadays, "hostess" (in the US particularly) probably has an undesirable connotation, but to me, it means a person who is welcoming you as an EQUAL guest, as if to her own home. "Attendant" doesn't give quite the same meaning; perhaps behaviour would be better if pax were dealing with someone they respected as an equal?

airlinebiznut
Topic Author

Sun Dec 07, 2003 11:29 pm

The name change is a great point. I had not thought about that. One thing I do think is that a US airline needs to make a statement and a "real" effort to make flying civilized again. I will tell you that the number one thing that "breaks down" a flight attendants attitude is to have to constantly say NO. We hate to do that. It is not in our nature. Unfortunately, we are the ones that have to say:

No pillows
No blankets
No meal

You get the point. After while we cringe at the thought and sometimes it may appear that we are distant and maybe even...rude.

If an airline says outright:" We are returning ENJOYABLE to air travel" and advertises the experience they are creating maybe the public will be ready to embrace it.

Right now the US is experiencing a honeymoon with the idea of everything low-cost and available. I think it will have to get back to more of a balanced focus on quality, rather than just quantity.

Shop at Wal-Mart or shop at FAO schwartz (sad situation), go to McDonalds or to Cheesecake Factory, Fly an improved AA or WN. It is a persons choice based on the experience they are willing to endure. I mean really...I have flown WN a few times and although they do a great job....I could not fly them regularly because I just do not like the feel of not having an assigned seat and having to run to the boarding line....etc.. It wears on you after a flight or two.

Am I just a foolish dreamer?

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos